It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• I need advice. my acne is out of control and I am in deep depression because of it

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
    dh2271
    (female)

dh2271 HB User
    I need advice. my acne is out of control and I am in deep depression because of it

Hello,
    i have bben suffering from this cystic like acne for almost 2 years now. i am a 37 year old woman with no previous history of acne. It is all along my jawline and an occassional one on my cheek. It is very painful and nothing seems to be working. I have switched derms without any improvement. My regimen consists of:
    washing my face 2x a day with brevoxyl(sp)
    using clindomiacin lotion in the am and tazorac in the pm
    Iam on 75 mg of doxy...i was on a higher dose but i kept getting yeast infections. I am not getting infections now but the med is not working at all. I was on spiro for a while and when I switched derms she told me to stop taking it. I feel like my face was better when I was on the spiro so i started taking it again today. I am so mad I went off. It is leaving red marks all over my face. Iam at my wits end. Iam so self conscious. My kids even make comments about it. Anyone have any advice.
    Thanks in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2008, 08:18 AM   #2
    tlhalabama
    Veteran
    (female)

tlhalabama HB User
    Re: I need advice. my acne is out of control and I am in deep depression because of i

I'm 42 and have been suffering from cystic acne for about 3 years now.

For about the past 6 months I have been doing the following:

1. Taking Evening Primrose Oil capsules morning and night.
    2. Using 70% rubbing alcohol to remove my makeup.
    3. Washing my face twice a day with an apricot scrub.
    4. Applying tree tea oil directly to a cyst if one does pop up.

I have had great improvements. I still may have one pop up, but when I put tree tea oil on it, usually the next day or so, it is gone.

Good luck.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #3
    ThePhilosopher
    (male)

ThePhilosopher HB User
    Re: I need advice. my acne is out of control and I am in deep depression because of i

I'm a male, 23, and have suffered moderate/severe cystic acne since I was in 8th grade. The only thing that ever really worked 100% was Accutane. Unfortunately, it can get quite costly and it was not a permanent fix. The acne came back about 8 months after stopping the medication.

Recently I've tried Garlic pills and, while it doesn't completely cure the acne, I notice a large reduction in the amount of large cysts I get. I tried several different brands and only one seems to produce consistent results. They are individually sealed tablets by Nature Made. I guess the fact that they are individually sealed keeps them "fresh". The other bottled capsules I tried produced no results. There may be other effective brands out there though if you want to give it a shot. I usually take three 500mg tablets a day after a meal with lots of water. I should warn you though that garlic tablets are not very pleasing to swallow. Don't take them on an empty stomach either.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:50 AM   #4
    lucky_yang
    (male)

lucky_yang HB User

well, i'm a 22 year old who has been suffering from acne since the 9th grade. i've tried all different kinds of treatments and the one that has worked the best for me is Purpose. its not an acne cream or any sort, its only a bar of soap. it is located in the acne treatment aisle though.

i recommend using Purpose. use it once in the morning and night. use the bar of soap to wash your face just like how you would use a cream.

if you suffer from red dry skin after washing with the bar of soap, i recommend buying the Purpose redness reducing moisturizer as well. apply a thin layer on after you finish washing your face with the bar of soap.

it does not cure acne completely (what does?) but it maintains it very well. i only get one acne break out once in a long time, say 2-3 months.

try it out. might work for you. it has worked for me and has saved me tons of money. instead of wasting $10-$30 on acne creams, the bar of soap only costs $3.99 and lasts for half a year.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:39 AM   #5
    smile2006
    (female)

smile2006 HB User

I had mild acne most of my adult life. The best thing I ever did was switch away from anything with alot of harsh chemicals. Over the past year I switched to Eminence skin care products which are primarily natural products (they have moisterizers and cleansers specificallly for acne/rosaeca conditions). I also switched exclusively to to Jane Iredale mineral make-up products. I have the best skin I've had in years. I wash my face, it feels clean, I put on make-up and it feels natural and lasts all day without getting oily. These product lines may look really pricey but they are 100% product and a little goes a long way. I can't endorse these products enough, they have done wonders for my skin.

Last edited by smile2006; 10-09-2008 at 07:52 AM.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
    BluEyez1031
    Veteran
    (female)

BluEyez1031 HB User

I agree with "smile," using natural products has helped the most for me, as well. I like Collective Wellbeing, personally, but I'd recommend taking a trip to a natural foods store and checking out the skincare selection and finding what works best for you. Coconut oil also helps.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:01 AM   #7
    kilgore52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kilgore52 HB User

cystic acne is from too much sebum from hormonal changes in our body. It is also an inherited gene. I have done everything possible and now after 40 years, I am clear. All from menopause and no more periods meaning the hormonal change from no more periods was the problem all along. I can only tell you that Spiro was the only thing that cleared my family's acne. It was a miracle and accutane by itself worked at clearing up 40% of their cysts. Men can not take this because of the reduction of testestorone and problems associated with it. Just wanted to share my story.

Last edited by kilgore52; 10-13-2008 at 01:40 PM.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:22 PM   #8
    jennifer0617
    (female)

jennifer0617 HB User

As another poster said it definetley sounds hormonal. I too am in my 30's and have always had hormonal break-outs. I have literally tried every single product out there. The best antibiotic for me was Keflex, the generic form. It definetley helped me but I didn't know how good an idea to take an antibiotic long term was, so I asked for Accutane. I had great results, but the acne came back again after my course of it. They say it is more likely to come back when it is hormone related. Finally I decided to get on a birth control pill called YAZ. It has spirolactone in it, it is supposed to help with PMDD as well, (which I also have), and even out hormone levlss. I do not take it for the birth control aspect as my tubes are tied. I have been on it for 5 days so I can't really tell a difference yet. Hope this was of some help I will update in a few weeks to let you know if the Yaz is wworking. Good Luck!

Old 10-14-2008, 07:21 PM   #9
    kilgore52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kilgore52 HB User

My friend takes Yaz and 175 mgs Spiro. She loves Yaz and it really helped with mood swings and alone it wasn't enough Spiro to help that much. The cystics kind that is. You will like Yaz I hope. Good luck

Closed Thread