It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Get your ferritin up FAST

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-12-2008, 01:43 PM   #16
    webdiva
    Inactive
    (female)

webdiva HB User
    Re: Get your ferritin up FAST

Good luck with your move! Yes, I too find hindsight is 20/20!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2008, 07:25 PM   #17
    littleopihi
    (female)

littleopihi HB User

hey Audrey... quick question... i know you have said your sheds are way down... when they were at their worst about how much would you say it was then?? thank you so much for your time.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #18
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

i never counted how many hairs i shed. I would dry my hair over the bathtub, which is white, and i'd see how much hair was lost. I just knew as soon as i began shedding back in January 2000 that something wasn't right. I had never recalled losing that amount of hair. I thought it was simply a one off thing and that i was having a big seasonal mault, but it continued year in, year out, until i noticed my once long hair was really thinned out at the ends. Others then began commenting so i knew it wasn't my imagination.

When i'd comb my hair after washing there would be so much hair in the bath tub, so much on my comb and handfulls would come out and end up in my bin.

Now that it's slowed, i think i might be losing 20 - 30 hairs per wash and i've had a tonne of regrowth.

I believe it's stopped shedding massively due to me addressing a lot of the issues i once had. I should have been medicated for my thyroid back in 2000, but wasn't until 2008. I've boosted me ferretin up to 78 from 8 (that took 2 and a half years), i've found out i was iodine and vitamin D deficient. I found out i wasn't absorbing protein due to inability to digest protein foods. Now i'm on digestive enzymes and i think they are helping.

My luck turned around when i visited a Trichologist who helped with my iron and discovered my Hashimoto's thyroid condition and then sent me to another good doctor who did all the rest.

I still get scared and think it will begin shedding big time again. I'm waiting to see what happens around Christmas and into January as that used to be when i'd shed the most as that's our summer time here. Even though i'd shed all year round, it was lessen during July (our coldest month) and be at its worse in January (our hotest month). Not sure what the hot/cold has to do with hair loss.

Going back to how much loss......... as i said, i never count the hairs. I know a lot of people do that and i feel that simply leads to further anxiety. I simply put the hair loss into 2 categories. 'A lot' and 'normal'.

What stage are you up to with your health/hair? Wishing you all the best

Old 10-15-2008, 12:41 AM   #19
    littleopihi
    (female)

littleopihi HB User

thank you for your reply... i am told i have a problem with my ferritin... as well as my vitamin D. i've been put on 50,000 IU of vitamin D and iron and will have another test in 2 weeks. on my own i've been taking yellow dock.

my hair was shedding the past 2 years sometimes more, sometimes less. of course the doctor said it was stress, but i'm sure that was contributing to it tho not the entire culprit... i was in the middle of a seperation, a move and change in jobs so severe stress... the stress itself has since gone WAY down thankfully... but the hair kept shedding. i've have a million blood, urine and saliva tests all which come up normal with the exception of the ferritin and vitamin d. still i would lose hair and feel super tired all the time. the only medicine i was on the the pill... mind you i have been on it for 9 years... so they took me off. i knew i'd shed more ((the last time i tried to go off it i shed, freaked out and went back on)) but they told me i really should ride it out this time... after reading so many ppl's problems with the pill, i think they're right and no matter how depressed i feel about my hair i'm sticking to it. and i was way way down in the dumps over this!!! i'd cry and stay in my bed and not do a thing... feel sick... and ugly. then i realized that two years have gone by and i don't wanna waste my beautiful, healthy life over this. so i just accepted this for now, i sometimes feel paranoid and will wear a hat or something ((even tho everyone says i look fine still, i notice and i hate it))... but nevertheless i accepted it. i also wanna note i've had four... yes count that FOUR scalp biopsies... and they've ruled out lupus, inflamation and androgenic alopecia. plus no one in my whole family is bald or even balding... and my testosterone wasn't high. so.... here i am... shedding quite a bit since i'm in between month three and four since stopping the pill... sure it sucks and my hair is so thin... but i know there's nothing i can do. i truly believe it'll grow back, maybe not as great as before, but i know it will. i still have bad days that i cry and wonder what i did to deserve this... but i manage to get myself out of it. oh well...... i'm just trying to eat good, take my supplements, drink water and exercise. and i too don't count the amount of hairs because it makes me have more anxiety. but like you i know it was a horrible amount cause it was coming out in handfuls too =( it would make me sick! i can't even get my hopes up anymore because i'm too afraid... wish me luck...

thanks for your reply tho. take care!!! and i wish you continued success on your journey. hugs!

Old 10-15-2008, 06:45 PM   #20
    chilekids2004
    (female)

chilekids2004 HB User

Thanks for all the great information about Yellowdock on this thread. I'm going to give it a try myself. My ferritin was 29 and I couldn't seem to sustain anything above 30 for one year. Last month I began taking 200 mg of iron and my ferritin managed to double! My hair is still shedding, not enough for others to notice, but I understand the sadness and frustration you feel, especially the "why me" part. But it's great to know that there's a community of folks who understand this tough experience.

How often does everyone have their blood tested? I'm a little concerned about iron overload.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:27 PM   #21
    webdiva
    Inactive
    (female)

webdiva HB User

littleopihi,
    Have you thought about seeing a biofeedback person, a naturopath, or a "natural" pharmacist? They've been invaluable in helping me.

chilekids2004,
    Your iron is SO low, I'll bet you don't have to worry for a while. If you want to play it safe, get your bloodwork script in hand and THEN start the yellow dock, dandelion, Repliva combination. Then test in 4-6 weeks. In a month I was WAY up.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:13 PM   #22
    chilekids2004
    (female)

chilekids2004 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by webdiva View Post
    littleopihi,
    Have you thought about seeing a biofeedback person, a naturopath, or a "natural" pharmacist? They've been invaluable in helping me.

chilekids2004,
    Your iron is SO low, I'll bet you don't have to worry for a while. If you want to play it safe, get your bloodwork script in hand and THEN start the yellow dock, dandelion, Repliva combination. Then test in 4-6 weeks. In a month I was WAY up.
    Webdiva,
    Thanks for your comment. My ferritin jumped from 30 5o 59 in one month, and my iron jumped from 80 to 113 in the same time frame. I heard the normal range for iron is 28-170 so I suppose I have some wiggle room if it it continues to rise alongside the ferritin. What's strange is that my transferrin is low, too, and only jumped from 178 to 179 over this same time frame. TIBC (251) and UIBC (138) are low. Still, the fact that the ferritin doubled was cause for major celebration! I'll take your suggestion on the supplements. Where is your ferritin?

Old 10-16-2008, 02:40 PM   #23
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

littleopihi - i can totally understand where you are coming from and also know what it's like to go through that roller coaster of good days where you become a bit more positive, then you fall way down and get depressed and have a cry over it all. I also went through a seperation and had a lot of marital issues prior to my hair starting it's shedding. I at one time thought it was solely stress related.

When i visited the Endo, my antibodies were sky high, but unfortunately a lot of doctors do not believe in medicating if all other thyroid related results are not WAY out. I can only imagine how many people, like me, have been told at some point "you are fine, nothing wrong, your tests are fine" etc etc.

You are right about the pill. It might be a good drug for some, but a lot more young women are having pill and hair loss related issues. My doctor tried to put me on the pill to correct my cycles, but all i ended up with was a heap more side effects. In the end, the only thing which helped correct my cycles was getting my thyroid hormones and my adrenal hormones corrected.

All you can do is keep digging and researching. Keep a book of handy information you read or find for future reference. Start a list of tests you feel might help you get to the root of the problem. Keep looking for a good, informed and understanding doctor. Like WebDiva said, look for alternate doctors as they have been invaluable in many cases. It's pretty much the alternate doctors who have always ended up 'fixing' me, not traditional doctors unfortunately.

Sometimes it's good to let the tears out and have a good cry and it's ok to feel sorry for yourself, but only for a short time. Don't let it get out of hand. When you get depressed, force yourself to go out somewhere, anywhere. Either drive yourself, ride a bicycle or take a train or a bus and just get out of the house. You will be amazed how getting out and not staying in your room and crying can make a difference. It shows you that you truly are a strong person and you will conquer this issue.

You take care and know that most of us on here are in the same boat. Hoping things get better for you soon

Old 10-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #24
    webdiva
    Inactive
    (female)

webdiva HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by webdiva View Post
    littleopihi,

chilekids2004,
    That's great news! My ferritin was 136 last month.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:34 PM   #25
    littleopihi
    (female)

littleopihi HB User

i looked up biofeedback here and all they seem to have are the psychological kind... i saw your other post about the asian biofeedback medicine person you went to and was really interested to know what kind she specializes in?? that way i can find one here or fly somewhere that might help. thank you all so much for everything you don't know how i appreciate it.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:41 AM   #26
    8monthslater
    (female)

8monthslater HB User

webdiva, Do you feel a lot better since you got your ferritin up? Did your symptoms go away?

Old 10-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #27
    webdiva
    Inactive
    (female)

webdiva HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by littleopihi View Post
    i looked up biofeedback here and all they seem to have are the psychological kind... i saw your other post about the asian biofeedback medicine person you went to and was really interested to know what kind she specializes in?? that way i can find one here or fly somewhere that might help. thank you all so much for everything you don't know how i appreciate it.
    Let me correct myself, the machine is based upon Asian principles (used in accupressure and accupuncture, the chakras) but is actually German-made. A couple guys were trying to figure out how to do accupuncture with low voltage shocks were unsuccessful but discovered the machine. Recently someone wrote software so when testing for food allergies or foods that irritate existing problems, it gets the item being tested from the database so one does not have to have a batch of every fruit, meat, vegetable, oil, and spice known on hand!!

The only thing I know of to do is to contact each biofeedback person in your area. If they don't use "the machine" as them if they know of someone who does. There are also websites for biofeedback that may help you find a practitioner.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:36 AM   #28
    littleopihi
    (female)

littleopihi HB User

hey you guys!! sorry i've been MIA just a little busy and trying NOT to think of my dumb hair already! >( so after 4 scalp biopsies (and no one with hair loss in my whole family including my grandparents) it's NOT female pattern loss... BUT my ferritin was getting lower and lower along with my vitamin D which was 0... so i have to now take iron and D... but i wanted to THANK YOU SO SO MUCH! because in 2 months my ferritin went from 40 to 90! yellow dock was AWESOME with my iron supplement. thank you thank you thank you! i'm super stoked about this . i do see little hairs growing but it's still falling out like crazy. i now realize that i have chronic telogen effluvium based on the scalp biopsies and my five billion blood tests including double stranded DNA tests and normal digestive enzymes. so i got off the pill because that was the only possibly problem... hopefully in a while my body will correct itself in time. for now i'll just keep taking the stuff i need and quit worrying about it because it only causes me more stress. but thank you guys so so much... thanks to you i figured out somethings that really helped and had great support. you guys are the best!

Old 11-23-2008, 06:58 AM   #29
    chilekids2004
    (female)

chilekids2004 HB User

Littleopihi: Congratulations on getting your ferritin up to 90! You must feel so wonderful to feel some progress! My ferritin went from 35 - 85 in two months taking Iron Extra (which has Yellow Dock in it), so I'm a strong believer. But I'll feel a lot better when I see more regrowth. How high did your iron count go? I was a little concerned that all that iron caused mine to be high and out of range. Last month a small section of one eyebrow disappeared and that's when I really lost it, but I realize I have no other choice but to think positive, be aggressive with the treatment, and find what's causing this. It's really not all that bad because I did have a LOT of hair, but it's aggravating to know that I don't know what's causing it. Anyway, great news! Keep me posted!

Old 11-23-2008, 01:14 PM   #30
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Littleopihi - congratulations on the increase in ferretin it feels good to finally get it up into the high numbers i'm sure. Mine went from 61 to 78 in roughly 2 month period, then it bombed back down to 50 due to immense stress of buying/moving house. So now i'm back to raising it again, but it just goes to show, as my doctor said, how badly stress affects our digestive system and then our overall vitamin/mineral intake.

Closed Thread