It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• I need advice on anxiety medication

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-15-2008, 10:17 PM   #1
    negot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

negot HB Usernegot HB User
    I need advice on anxiety medication

I suffer from a pretty high level of anxiety. Somebody who doesn't know me told me recently that my anxiety is clearly noticeable. My kids have also picked up on my anxiety and they act very anxious. I have been fighting against taking medication because the medication I've tried in the past hasn't helped me. Instead it made me very agitated and almost even more anxious.
    I've tried remeron, anafranil, imipramine, prozac and paxil. None of the above has helped although I did take it for a few months before I gave up. The only thing that is reducing my anxiety is valium. I do understand though that I can't take valium every day.
    Which other medication works for anxiety? Which one doesn't make you agitated?
    I do sleep well and don't have any sleeping problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2008, 08:48 AM   #2
    asavage047
    (female)

asavage047 HB User
    Re: I need advice on anxiety medication

Im on Celexa and it has saved my life. I completely notice when I dont take it for a couple days.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:13 AM   #3
    Natty44
    Inactive
    (female)

Natty44 HB User

Hi Negot-is yours more emotional anxiety or physical anxiety where you have all the symptoms of feeling sick, panicky? Mine seems to be mostly physical - I am currently taking Lexapro, however, sorry to say I haven't noticed much difference and still have the anxiety, loss of appetite and tiredness - if anything at least I'm not crying at everything like I used to like a song on the radio or a Hallmark commercial! Lol I was on 5 ML of Lexapro for 6 weeks and just this week upped it to 10 ML so we'll see if it helps. I hate the loss of appetite! People on this board swear by Lexapro though and say it takes a long time to kick in and when it does it's great, so I'm hopeful that it'll kick in and work soon. I also take a half of a xanax almost every day - it's not a high dose - half of a .25 - but I don't have that many pills to I have to make them last - it's just enough to barely take the edge off where I can function. Good luck to you! Maybe ask your doc about Lexapro? It may work for you?

Old 10-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
    negot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

My anxiety is both emotional and physical. I would say it is more emotional though although I do have physical symptoms like numbness in limbs, twitching, stomach ache etc. But, the emotional part is probably worse because it is visible to other people and feels humiliating. My heart pounds, I talk fast , repeat several times what I've already said, feel very tense in social situations. I almost shake from inside and my body movements are sometimes jerky. Sometimes I even sort of stutter or mispronounce words. This is making my life hard and it is hard to function. My self esteem is also very low because I feel embarrassed to be this anxious and tense. Today I had to go to a meeting to my kids' school and had to take 10 mg of diazepam (valium) to be able to be at the meeting. I feel so anxious that I am almost tripping over my own feet and have a very hard time relaxing and calming down. What except for valium could take the edge of the anxiety?

Old 10-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
    writeleft
    Inactive
    (female)

writeleft HB User

Negot,

I have to jump on the Lexapro band wagon. I take 20 mg in the morning, and it really works well for me. I have been on it for a few years, so I do not feel any obvious side effects from it, and it has definately helped me alot. I hope this helps you a little, and that you can find the proper balance of medications. Each person reacts so differantly, so I suggest you be patient with yourself, and don't give up! Best wishes to you...

Old 10-16-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
    ljenner831
    (female)

ljenner831 HB User

I take Buspar for anxiety and love it! It is not addictive and has no side effects, unlike SSRIs

Old 10-16-2008, 08:16 PM   #7
    violet312s
    (female)

violet312s HB User

I'm on Buspar (7.5mg twice a day) and Lexapro (10mg in the mornings). This has changed my life.

Everyone is different though. Have a good conversation with your doctor about how you've reacted to other medications.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:26 PM   #8
    negot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you for your responses. I have been against taking medication, but at this point I have no choice. Everything in my life is affected by my anxiety and I can't take it any more. All social situations feel very hard because I feel so tense and anxious. I even have dreams that are full of anxiety and wake up feeling awful.
    I wonder which medication is most similar to valium. I guess, this is a question I have to ask a psychiatrist.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #9
    flyer99
    (male)

flyer99 HB User

I take clonazepam and it has helped me immensely. It, however, can be very difficult to reduce and come off of. I mention this medication as it has helped me and if I miss a dos or two I know it. Everyone is different. Perhaps try some of the newr medications that are not so addicting. Conazepam has been around for many, many years. But it does work for me. Good luck, my friend.

Closed Thread