It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• experiences with zoloft, buspar or clonazepam???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-15-2008, 11:25 PM   #1
    littlegoddess
    (female)

littlegoddess HB User
    Smile experiences with zoloft, buspar or clonazepam???

i am a 38 yo female, generally healthy, but have a tendency toward anxiety. i have recently had some issues with racing heart (not anxiety related) and this has led to very poor sleep. i will fall asleep ok, but wake hourly and find it difficult to get back to sleep.
    this has added to my agitation, irritability etc, and my doctor has given me clonazepam - 0.25mg in morning and 0.5mg at night if needed.
    i am aware of addictive nature of benzos, and wondered if either buspar or zoloft would be a better option.
    when i wake in the night i have a feeling of derealisation - that out of it feeling that i guess is anxiety, but not a full blown panic attack
    would love to hear any experiences, positive or negative from either of these 3 meds for anxiety etc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2008, 07:38 AM   #2
    jcman01
    (female)

jcman01 HB User
    Re: experiences with zoloft, buspar or clonazepam???

I have symptoms similar to yours. I have been taking clonazepam as needed for about 4 years.

Everyone is different. It has helped me, and I have not become addicted. I only take the recommended dosage, and only as needed.

I don't wake up more than is normal throughout the night.

If you don't have additive tendencies, you might be ok with clonazepam.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
    violet312s
    (female)

violet312s HB User

I asked my doc specifically about Buspar due to it's low addiction tendancies (I trend towards addictive so did not want a benzo). Buspar is great for me. I'm on a relatively low dose and others take a much higher dose. There is no withdrawal if you forget and no craving for it. It's just "there".

From what I've read it will absolutely not equal something like taking a Xanax. For me, that's a good thing. But it has worked in "emergency" situations where I take an extra amount (talked about this with my doc). Frankly, I forget I'm on it.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
    flyer99
    (male)

flyer99 HB User

Hello,

I have been on clonazepam for more years than I can remember. It has helped me with my anxiety and panic disorder. I also take trimiprimine with it to help with depression issues. I have heard that clonazepam is addicting and if you go off of it, it must be under a doctor's supervision and very, very slowly. I haven't tried the others. <BY THE WAY>, my clonazepam dosage is 0.5 mg 3 times a day, however for the past few years I have been only taking 0.5 mg twice a day, morning and evening, and as necessary if I get really anxious or panicky. I have had no side effects from it and, as mentioned, it has helped me. Good luck.

Last edited by ms_mod; 10-18-2008 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Always use whole words in your posts. Ms_Mod

Old 10-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #5
    nervousgirl
    (female)

nervousgirl HB User

I have experience with Zoloft and Clonazepam.

I took Zoloft for about six months and did not find any positive effects. Lots of people say great things about it, but I can't vouch for their experiences.

I have been taking Clonazepam for about 8-9 months at this point, varying doses... At first I did 0.5 mg in the morning and 0.5 mg again at night, but I was getting too sleepy so I stopped in the morning. Now I take 0.5 every night for sleep (when I stopped taking it for a month I had increased anxiety and insomnia, likely withdrawal symptoms) and 0.25 mg daily as needed for panic attacks. Recently, I have started taking the 0.25 more often…In particular, I am a university student and find that particular classes tend to spur panic attacks, so I am taking it preemptively.

I can only say that I have had slight anxiety/insomnia relief from the Clonazepam. I do worry about the addiction though, and would encourage you to think it through. It's also possible that my effect is placebo…so hard to tell with all of these anti-depressants.

Best of luck to you.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #6
    jmt99
    (female)

jmt99 HB User

Hi,

I read your post, I have had high anxiety for years. I went on Lexapro but seemed to do little for me and the first week of side effects were very bad. Now I started taking BuSpar 20 mg per day only been on it for a few days and I am also taking Catapres .150mg twice per day.

Why did you remove part of my post it still have much vlaue because of my Zoloft issue to which the poster had info and you cut me off!

Ok but the problem is I posted a new thread but no one sees it now. When you cut off a conversations like this you end up loosing the response for the poster. So now my conversations has being sitting over in a new place quite alone where the poster here that had infor on Zoloft for me probably does not see it. Why when people need help do you need to be so strict?

Thank you very much

Last edited by jmt99; 10-21-2008 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Removed part of post that doesn't answer thread starters questions. Please start your own NEW thread for your questions.

Closed Thread