It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• B12 vitamin is important to central nervous system

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2008, 08:15 AM   #16
    robinegg
    (female)

robinegg HB Userrobinegg HB User
    Re: B12 vitamin is important to central nervous system

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emmaspaws View Post
    Hi Rainbows End and Scout...well I spoke to the director of the ALF today and she gave me the B-12 level...pretty disappointing. 511. I don't have the report in front of me, but will try to get it this afternoon. With this level being so middle of the road...could it still be a deficiency?
    Hi Linda
    MMMMMMMM Did she do the other tests like FBC and MMA & HYC ?
    Thats why they are important as they are elevated in a deficiency if these are normal then she doesnt have a deficiency..........

However to me that level is slightly low....but with all the meds and infections one would have thought a lower reading would have come about....

I mean you could ask for these tests if they werent done........
    I think this will be the only way to know for sure..........

If I were to look at that value perhaps a deficiency is not the problem....I am so sorry Linda I just dont know what to say or to suggest at least you got them done you did well.........Perhaps you could look into the lyme I know little about that as we dont have it here

I wish you luck and try to get those other tests if you can that will be the only way to know...........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2008, 08:18 AM   #17
    emmaspaws
    (female)

emmaspaws HB User

I did request these test, but I haven't gotten the report to see. I don't think the urine has come back yet...pretty disappointing, though.

Linda

Old 10-20-2008, 09:26 AM   #18
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Even though the levels may be in the normal range, supplementation may relieve some of the symptoms. That is not to say her levels won't decline over time.

I suspect she has an infection of the cranial nerves, at least number VII.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:15 PM   #19
    scout316
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scout316 HB Userscout316 HB User

Hello Linda...Oh my goodnes I'm so sorry the test result was that high.Is your mom taking any supplments right now?That can cause the resuts to be off...plus was she fasting for the test?My hematologist said fasting is pertinent for a correct level with this....even though MDs say you don't have to.

I know that sometimes blood can be too acidic or too alkaline also...have the drs. did a thorough blood count to check everything to rule out all blood disorders?I assume they've checked all her electrolytes and such?Why are they giving her folate?I would check into that.I think RainbowsEnd might have some very good comments on that one.There has to be a reason for them to be giving her folate...it must be low????There's something there that's for sure.....

Try not to be discouraged....something will surface....we are here for you Linda ad we care!

Scout~

Old 10-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #20
    scout316
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi RainbowsEnd....Hope you can comment on why Linda's mom is being given folate.

I am very sad today...just feeling down.It's raining here so maybe that's why...rain and me don't get along too well....hahaha.

I feel so confused abot all the B12,Chiari and other stuff.....it's all a lot to process you know?

Well I have dishes to do....I actually love to wash dishes..I use a lavender dish liguid..it smells heavenly......great for aromatherapy...relieves stress...and cleans the dishes too...what a good thing!!!!!!

See you later buddy~Scout

Old 10-20-2008, 06:39 PM   #21
    emmaspaws
    (female)

emmaspaws HB User

Hi Scout and Rainbows End! Well, I have finally laid hands on my mom's labs but before I get to that, I want to say that she is NOT currently getting folate. The folate was given back in December when she was in the hospital...yet they didn't check her B-12 levels. I just wanted to clarify that. Ok, I don't have the urinalysis yet, the lab hasn't gotten those done, but the Serum labs and regular blood work has come back. I wish I could refer back to that original post where you all indicated the lab results that would indicate a b-12 deficiency. Here are the results that I think are important, but let me know if there is more info needed (besides the urinalysis #s).
    WBC 7.1 (4.0-10.3)
    RBC 4.38 (4.10-5.10)
    HCT 42.0 (37.0-46.0)
    MCV 95.9 (64-98)
    MCH 32.7 (28.0-34.0)
    MCHC 34.1 (32.0-35.0)
    Platelets 240 (130-400)
    TIBC 448 (252-535)
    Ferritin, Serum 29.5 (10-291.0)
    B-12 535 (211-911)
    Folate >11.5 (>5.4)
    Hemoglobin, Glycosylated 5.0 (4.5-5.7)

Okay, so that's that...I am needing some help with this. Thanks everyone!

Linda

Old 10-20-2008, 07:52 PM   #22
    scout316
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi there Linda....sorry about the folate,but I'd ask the dr. why they gave it to her before(she must have been low and needing it back then I would presume).

Usually the MCV will be elevated...your mom's is at the high-end...which could mean something.Her ferritin isn't that great either....ferritin is the better test for iron I've heard.At this point it is hard to say that anything is pointing to anything.RainbowsEnd will be sure to have something to add about this.

Those other tests they do for B12 are MMA(methylmalonic acid) which if elevated is a B12 deficiency.Also the Homocysteine test which if elevated points to B12 def. also.You can be elevated in one or the other or both...if those ar normal then there's no B12 def.

Usually the B12 has to be at the lower end to warrant testing for the MMA and homocys.

Did they check her other counts for potassium,magnesium,calcium,protein,etc. ?Just wondering....there's so many important blood tests that canbe done...I sure hope the drs. looked at everything to rule out possibilities for anything that would cause your mom to be shaking/trembling so much.

I agree with Bethsheba though that giving your mom extra supplemenys might do some good...it certainly can't hurt.

I am very interested to see if anything shows in her uninalysis...her white count is a little at the high end also,but I'm not familar with her history on her WBC from the past.

Also what meds is she currently taking?Any?None?Also did they do an EEG(brain wave test) for her?Iwould think they would if they did an MRI....that could tell how her brain is functioning.If they haven't did one yet then request that they do...it's an easy test...youjust lie there and close your eyes while they have tiny little electrodes on your head(they attach them with water-soluble glue)then it gives a print out of the brains electrical activity...it's painless...easy as pie...like a lie detector test...sometimes when there's something going on in the body it will show in the brain wave patterns....good idea to have it checked.

Okay well I know this is frustrating,but just keep advocating for your mom...there's many avenues to investigate...don't give up hope.....have a good night.

Scout~

Old 10-20-2008, 08:05 PM   #23
    emmaspaws
    (female)

emmaspaws HB User

Thanks Scout...I will have to wait for the MMA and HCY test to come back tomorrow. I am starting to get really depressed...I was looking at the anxiety threads and those symptoms seem very similar to mom's, unfortunately, she is mentally so fargone, that I don't think she could talk to a therapist or understand the questions he/she would ask her! Now I am starting to feel depressed! Sigh!!!! Thanks for all of your help...I'll update you as I know what's happening.

Oh, BTW, I did get an appt. with a Psychoneurologist in two weeks. I'm hoping maybe she can help with something. I just wanted to get a second opinion on the EOAD (Early Onset Alz Disease) diagnosis.

Linda

Old 10-20-2008, 08:50 PM   #24
    robinegg
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emmaspaws View Post
    Hi Scout and Rainbows End! Well, I have finally laid hands on my mom's labs but before I get to that, I want to say that she is NOT currently getting folate. The folate was given back in December when she was in the hospital...yet they didn't check her B-12 levels. I just wanted to clarify that. Ok, I don't have the urinalysis yet, the lab hasn't gotten those done, but the Serum labs and regular blood work has come back. I wish I could refer back to that original post where you all indicated the lab results that would indicate a b-12 deficiency. Here are the results that I think are important, but let me know if there is more info needed (besides the urinalysis #s).
    WBC 7.1 (4.0-10.3)
    RBC 4.38 (4.10-5.10)
    HCT 42.0 (37.0-46.0)
    MCV 95.9 (64-98)
    MCH 32.7 (28.0-34.0)
    MCHC 34.1 (32.0-35.0)
    Platelets 240 (130-400)
    TIBC 448 (252-535)
    Ferritin, Serum 29.5 (10-291.0)
    B-12 535 (211-911)
    Folate >11.5 (>5.4)
    Hemoglobin, Glycosylated 5.0 (4.5-5.7)

Okay, so that's that...I am needing some help with this. Thanks everyone!

Linda
    Dear Linda ........................................ ......is the folate measured in ng/ml we do it differently here so this is hard for me
    The MCV is getting up to that upper level a bit to much and the ferritin is to low even though they in the normal parrameters of testing............

Has your mum had the Hcy & uMMA tested do you know.... As I still think the Mcv is in the higher end do you have previuos tests to compare with for this...........MCV is higher in b12 deficiency it means the red blood cells are large and a odd shape.....

I really think those other tests are needed to rule it out for definite allowing you to know for sure if they are fine then you can look at something else......because as far as the docs are concerned she is fine in that area so please persit with it I mean with her symptoms to consider it is neglectful they didnt do them (that is if they havent)..........

The other option is to give the B12 but I dont know how you are going to do that while she is in care......

hang in there and wait for urine tests to come back see what they indicate if anything it is all a step forward little by little....

Best wishes

Old 10-20-2008, 08:55 PM   #25
    robinegg
    (female)

Hi Linda

i have just read the post below that must have come up while I was sending mine anyway that is great that those tests have been done

I will be leaving the boards but I will hang around to wait for those results............

Lets wait and see

Best wishes

Old 02-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #26
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sierradaly View Post
    ....It took approx 4 weeks for the adverse reaction...and this is not unusual. HUGE anxiety....as if I'd drunk 50 cups of coffee; immense sense of doom (deep depression); full body tremors; extreme fatigue; limb weakness (difficult to hold a phone), breathlessness. I ended up in the ER one night because I felt so terribly ill and my body wouldn't stop trembling. I thought I was probably having a nervous breakdown/losing my mind....a very terrible feeling.
    Given your history and your other symptoms, this may not have been a side effect of Cipro at all but instead a sign that Cipro was effectively killing the bacteria in your system...you may want to learn more about the herxheimer reaction.

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-05-2009 at 07:17 AM.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:11 AM   #27
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I just wanted to wade in on the B12 topic. My dad was not feeling quite well for a long while and as i'd learnt a lot through spending time on the anemia and thyroid boards i decided to have my dad fully checked out. A couple of other family members on dad's side have thyroid issues too so i thought his symptoms might be thyroid related.

Typically, his tests came back at very low end of range for some things and high end for others. The lab even put these in bold and use an '*' to alert the doctor. The doctor dismissed him as healthy and that was that. That's when i stepped in and put him on Vitamin D and B12 and also a top up dose of daily iron as his ferretin wasn't too bad.

In 6 - 7 weeks he has changed almost completely. His Vit D and B12 have shot up. He no longer wakes during the night and can't get back to sleep. Instead he might wake, but rolls over and falls asleep again. He's not as moody or deathly tired. He's got more bounce and looks more alert and happy.

To think he didn't want to do the blood tests in the first place saying it was "age related". he thought he had to be this way due to turning 70 in 6 months time. Now he see's the difference I'm still mad as hell at that doctor, also the fact the doctor wanted to put him on meds which bi-polar people use as well as those with epileptic seizures. Fortunatly my dad refused to take the meds once he read the information leaflet, which also stated they were used to 'calm psychotic episode'. Fancy that!! all it was was a simply B12 and Vit D deficiency.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:02 AM   #28
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Audrey-B View Post
    ...all it was was a simply B12 and Vit D deficiency.
    I doubt very much that it is that simple...vit b12 and vit d may have treated the symptoms but not the condition. I suspect it is something else...will write more later.

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-06-2009 at 06:02 AM.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:46 AM   #29
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

bethsheba, i have been thinking much the same thing. I'm wondering what has led to lowering the Vit D and B12, either age related or something else. One good thing is that he responded to his supplements so readily. I never expected him to go up that fast.

His new blood test shows his cholesterol coming down since Dec '08 and i believe this is due to the supplements in some way.

Anyway, i'll be keeping on top of things. I'm getting him to do the exact same stool analysis test which i did and found of GREAT value. This will show us what's going on with his digestion and whether there are parasites and other such things involved. I'll also get him to do a gluten test. I'm just happy to have helped him get over a few hurdles.

If there are any other things, feel free to comment. I notice you have a lot of knowledge in many areas so thanks for all the helpful advice you give

Old 02-07-2009, 04:05 AM   #30
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey,

In my reading I have come across explanations to your father's "labs" and responses to vits D and b12...and explanations for your volatile ferrin levels...believe it or not, there may be a connection. Unfortunately, I did not bookmark the necessary info and finding it again has been challenging. I don't want to repeat what I have read without reviewing it first as my reading consists of government and medical research, and it is not necessarily written in the language of a layperson.

Again, the supplementation will help with the symptoms, which is good, if not great, but it will not cure the condition.

I hope you're feeling better.

PS. I don't know if the cholesterol level is related in any way...haven't seen anything to suggest it is, but that has not been an area of focus for me.

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-07-2009 at 04:06 AM.

Closed Thread