It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Do I have Adrenal insufficiency??? I'm desperate for an answer.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-11-2008, 08:23 AM   #1
    mlforestp
    (female)

mlforestp HB User
    Unhappy Do I have Adrenal insufficiency??? I'm desperate for an answer.

Hey, I just joined today. I have had a problem with low bp for a year now. It doesn't stay low all the time. The first 6 months, I noticed I had a problem it was just sometimes. Beginning in Feb of 2008, I had to go to the ER. I could barely stand. They told me I had a virus and it would go away (I had had the symptoms for 3 weeks before that). I went to my Gen Dr after that, he told me the same thing. I went to another physican who ran a series of tests that included cortisol levels. He also did a 24 hr Urine for Total Cortisol. He said everthing was normal. I do remember seeing my test results and noticed some of the readings would be 1 point below normal. I assumed it wasn't a big deal. I have had my hormone levels checked and they are normal. I've been to a Cardiologist who said I did have some abnormal changes on the tests, however, it wasn't anything significant that would cause these problems. I'm desperate! If my BP gets below 115, I begin to feel symptoms. I can almost predict what my BP is based on how I feel. I've researched the internet and while I do have many of the symptoms of Adrenal insufficiency, I don't have them all. I am so depressed about it. My kids don't understand, I'm so grouchy. I have developed a severe case of insomnia and I am now taking Ambien every night. My symptoms increase when I haven't had enough rest, while on my menstral cycle and of course when I am stressed. I can't seem to control my emotions. I now experience some tingling in my arms and legs. During these times, I am very weak. The fatigue feeling is unbearable. I have a good life. I love my husband and my family. I have a very close relationship with God. My physician prescribed me Florinef which seems to help but I am scared of the side effects. I don't mean to sound like a chronic whiner but is there anyone like me? If I need more meds, Fine but I want to understand what my problem is? Does it sound like I have Adrenal problems. Do they show up on bloodwork right away?? Oh and I have also had an MRI of my brain.

Last edited by mlforestp; 10-11-2008 at 08:26 AM. Reason: I left something out

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
    2jen
    (female)

2jen HB User
    Re: Do I have Adrenal insufficiency??? I'm desperate for an answer.

If I were you I would find a good endocrinologist and have the cortisol levels checked again. I would also have them check your orthostatic blood pressure as well as your potassium/sodium serum levels. I am sorry I can not be of more help. Do you notice that your blood pressure seems to feel lower when you are stressed?
    Hashimoto's

Old 10-11-2008, 03:29 PM   #3
    mlforestp
    (female)

mlforestp HB User

Actually, now that you mention it yes. I had a complete meltdown after I was on line earlier. I just can't seem to handle my emotions. What so unusual about this is that my life is alot less stressful that it used to be. Its a very uncomfortable and unacceptable feeling for me. I'm only 38 and my husband seems to think I may be having some hormonal issues but they are ok. I've been on the Florinef for over 3 months but I am going to call the dr and ask him to refer me to an endocrinologist based on your advice. Thanks for responding, I wasn't sure anyone would.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:51 AM   #4
    nymi06
    (female)

nymi06 HB User

Have you had a 24 hr saliva adrenal test (for cortisol levels)? I would look into that, or a 8am serum cortisol, you fast the night before and it is drawn before 8am (it is a blood test, of course)

Old 10-21-2008, 06:19 AM   #5
    mlforestp
    (female)

mlforestp HB User

No I have havent. They have ran some blood tests on cortisol levels, however, I was not fasting and they haven't run any saliva tests.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:36 AM   #6
    nymi06
    (female)

nymi06 HB User

Insist on the 8am cortisol blood test, or simply put it that you want a blood test for your cortisol level at or before 8am and please make sure you fast the night before. Your dr should have no problem ordering it. Adrenal Insufficiency can possibly lead to Addison's (depending on the severity) which, long-term, if left untreated can be fatal.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:45 PM   #7
    GingerLox
    (female)

GingerLox HB User

I would suggest that you have your aldosterone levels tested. That is the mineralcorticoid hormone that is missing in Addison's and it is what is responsible for keeping your blood pressure up. It is what keeps the sodium in your blood, to keep your blood volume up, so you can keep your bp up. You might want to ask your doc about testing your aldosterone while you are on florinef though. Florinef is the replacement for aldosterone. You may want to be off the florinef for an accurate result. Ask for a 24 hr. urine aldosterone test. You might want to see if you have adrenal antibodies also.

GingerLox

Old 10-22-2008, 07:49 AM   #8
    nymi06
    (female)

nymi06 HB User

I had a blood test for my aldosterone level last year and it was 3.
    The adrenal antibodies test would be a good idea, i would have to ask my PCP for it.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:15 PM   #9
    sue1234
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sue1234 HB User

nymi06-

I had an aldosterone of 3 also. I have a problem of feeling like I'm going to pass out after standing for longer than 20 minutes, or if I'm stressed. I've also become very heat intolerant and a bundle of "nerves". Does any of this sound like your low aldosterone experience? Did a doctor say that a 3 was low and then treat you? My doctor just said it was o.k., in the face of my symptoms, and I think it is too low.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:10 PM   #10
    nymi06
    (female)

nymi06 HB User

Definitely sounds it as i have had those exact same symptoms, and yes a 3 is way too low. My dr doesn't discuss much on this with me but just said to stay on the HC and will probably retest again in several months

Closed Thread