It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Question regarding Lhermitte's and Optic Neuritis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-07-2008, 09:38 AM   #1
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User
    Question regarding Lhermitte's and Optic Neuritis

Hi guys. I have vibrating in my foot (sometime it tingles too) on and off.I can get a little punch for a few seconds or it can last all day, sometimes it is fine. This is constant for me. When all this started out it was my right foot, but for months its been my left. I have also noticed it starts sometimes when I put my neck down. I even tested one day and whenever my head would go up-it would be fine, down buzz, up fine, etc. Is this usually due to a lesion in the neck? I do have mild to moderate stenosis in my neck which is sitting on the central cord, but my neuro yesterday said this had nothing to do with my neck and also was not sure why my body is going haywire

Also, I have been getting eye pressure pains for months> I went to a neuro opth yesterday to examine my eyes-they were totally fine he said. With MS, when one has issues with the eyes does it show up in the eye exam? For example if your first issue was your eyes, would your eye exam be clear or do usually see inflammation, pressure, nerve damage?

Thanks all....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
    Nenu
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nenu HB User
    Re: Quetion re Lehermittes and occipital N

What you explain with the neck movement definitely sounds like L'Hermittes. I'm not the one to answer your question however about the placement of the lesion involved, and this may be completely irrelevant in itself. Many with MS experience L'Hermittes, however it can be seen in other conditions as well.

As for the eyes, I've never had Optic Neuritis myself, but I've had eye pressure/pain, blurry or double vision (when the double shows up, for me that's relapse city) and constant floaters. My neuro assures me that none of the above are Optic Neuritis, and it's true, I've never experienced what ON is described as doing, however I do suffer from eye issues all the same, only minor ones. Neuro checks my eyes out every visit and has never said anything about them.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

Thanks for responding. I just wondered if those that have lehermittes if its due to lesions in the neck..I ask this since my compression is in my neck.

Thanks for your help!

Old 11-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #4
    Nenu
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nenu HB User

Np, I'm not honestly sure. I had only my brain MRI'ed and my neurologist actually never sat down and went over the lesion placement with me.

I would imagine the next MRI I have will be much more extensive (my ordering doctor for my only MRI I had thus far was an ear, nose, throat doctor).

Old 11-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

Ahh, so you have never had an MRI of your cspine?

I think my next step is an LP.My MRI was without contrast so I wonder. I assume though if I have something pressing on my neck cord then it would cause the vibrating when I bend my neck down. However, this would not explain my other widespread issues

Old 11-07-2008, 04:19 PM   #6
    Snoopy61
    Inactive
    (female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User
    Re: Question regarding Lhermitte's and Optic Neuritis

L'Hermittes is NOT exclusive to MS, there are other causes.

When related to MS L'Hermittes is caused by lesion(s) on the cervical spine.

The Following User Says Thank You to Snoopy61 For This Useful Post:
    Jewels2970 (08-11-2012)
    Old 11-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
    Nenu
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nenu HB User

Nope, never had the spine imaged. As I said, I'm sure they'll tackle that next time around.

I have experienced L'hermittes as you describe it twice very distinctly however. L'Hermittes for me was the first symptom I had that I sat back and reviewed everything and thought 'sheesh, I may be looking at MS'. It was scary, that's for sure!

Old 11-07-2008, 04:39 PM   #8
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

Thanks Snoopy--it may be my cord compression from my stenosis then> However, I have a host of other things going on in my body so not sure though my MRI was clear (no contrast) I know I should prob puruse further tests!

Old 12-08-2008, 03:44 AM   #9
    nokia1
    (male)

nokia1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2626 View Post
    Hi guys. I have vibrating in my foot (sometime it tingles too) on and off.I can get a little punch for a few seconds or it can last all day, sometimes it is fine. This is constant for me. When all this started out it was my right foot, but for months its been my left. I have also noticed it starts sometimes when I put my neck down. I even tested one day and whenever my head would go up-it would be fine, down buzz, up fine, etc. Is this usually due to a lesion in the neck? I do have mild to moderate stenosis in my neck which is sitting on the central cord, but my neuro yesterday said this had nothing to do with my neck and also was not sure why my body is going haywire

Also, I have been getting eye pressure pains for months> I went to a neuro opth yesterday to examine my eyes-they were totally fine he said. With MS, when one has issues with the eyes does it show up in the eye exam? For example if your first issue was your eyes, would your eye exam be clear or do usually see inflammation, pressure, nerve damage?

Thanks all....
    Hello K2626, I have experienced the same as you. When I bend down my neck I get that buzzing sensations in the hands, above the knee in the legs its changing. I have no electrical sensations, I fell nothing on my spine , I have a mild stenosis as well c3-4,4-5. I made MRI c-spine which showed no lesion also head MRI because I have anxiety symptoms 2 years ago.
    And now I'm wondering is it from lesion not seen on the MRI or because of the stenosis and anxiety.
    What about you did you find any answers?

Old 12-08-2008, 01:27 PM   #10
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

Hi there, they said that my stenosis is NOT causing all of this. Also, they said its not MS as they claimed MS does not have widespread multiple issues all at onset.

Anyway, I am now being treated for possible lyme and some of my symptoms have gotten a lot btr. I am also downing a lot of vitamins to help with these issues. I have had a lot of sx, muscle twitching all over, numbness, etc etc

What other symptoms are you having? Is it just the vibrating? Is your vibrating in one foot or both?

Old 12-08-2008, 03:18 PM   #11
    april1848
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

april1848 HB User

Hi K, I'm glad you're feeling better, and that MS was ruled out! That's good news. I hope you're doing well!

Welcome back, Nenu!
    Stopped 4/10 due to no insurance.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:02 PM   #12
    nokia1
    (male)

nokia1 HB User

Here is my history of the symptoms:
    In March 2006 after 1-2 moths of stress I started seeing floaters, being off balance, tingling buzzing numbness in hands and foot, thiches all over, my right thigh started cramping(but only when I'm walking). I had blurred vision, weak forearms (If I lift something they strated to hurt and cramp) Also my muscles were jerking I can see them, my tongue started to sore I lost my taste for 2-3 weeks my calfs cramped etc. Then I started to feel my left leg and arm very weak I did EMG which was ok.
    After 12-13 months suffering and googling I went to neuro, all physical exams were ok, no Babinski, I have abdominal reflexes I did MRI of my head - it was ok,, then 19 months ago I did c-spine and upper throatic - again normal. Also I have more but you should ask me because I may forgot some, I had a 1000 symptoms.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:23 PM   #13
    sunshine149
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine149 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2626 View Post
    Hi there, they said that my stenosis is NOT causing all of this. Also, they said its not MS as they claimed MS does not have widespread multiple issues all at onset.

Anyway, I am now being treated for possible lyme and some of my symptoms have gotten a lot btr. I am also downing a lot of vitamins to help with these issues. I have had a lot of sx, muscle twitching all over, numbness, etc etc

What other symptoms are you having? Is it just the vibrating? Is your vibrating in one foot or both?
    I've had Lhermitte's and ON at the same time. the vibrating varied, sometimes I could feel it traveling all the way down my spine into my feet. sometimes it was just in my feet or one foot, sometimes just my hands or one hand, sometimes in my flank area. a cervical spine MRI revealed lesions there. this episode was after having ms for 10 years. i don't agree with your doctor that says you can't have widespread symptoms at onset. i had ON in my left eye, facial numbness on one side of the face including my tongue, numbness in both legs up to my pelvis, one leg that buckled... My MRI scans were clear for year before lesions began to appear.

I don't suppose any of this will be helpful! but that's my experience with the symptoms you asked about. ON does have a lot of eye pain/pressure but it does involve a centralized blind or gray spot. eye docs can't always "see" ON in an exam. it depends on whether it is the part of optical nerve that is in front or in back of the eye, if it's the back of eye, they can't see it.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:44 PM   #14
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

Hi Nokia, sorry you are going through all of this. I am being treated for possible lyme and today is the first day I have felt great. I would suggest going to see a LLMD. It would be rare to have all of this go on at onset AND without lesions on the spine or brain. I have also read thryoid issues can cause these problems

Sunshine, all my symptoms hit in one weeks time all over my body, that is what my dr was referring in regards to hitting widespread all at once. In fact, I saw 5 neuros over the course of all of this and they all said it does not present this way.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:49 AM   #15
    nokia1
    (male)

nokia1 HB User

Hello Sunshine149, how did you get dx? MRI?
    You said that you have Ms for 10 yrs ago without lesions or I didn't catch?

Last edited by nokia1; 12-09-2008 at 08:09 AM.

Closed Thread