It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Hello, new here

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-13-2008, 11:48 AM   #16
    StephRabin
    (female)

StephRabin HB User
    Re: Hello, new here

Rhi, that is so weird that you said that about the smells of things. When I was pregnant and truly anemic, I used to crave the smell of windex. I am so glad my baby is okay (so far) because I would find reasons to use it just so I could smell it...same thing with toothpaste. I used to brush my teeth ten times a day just so I could eat the toothpaste... SO weird...I knew about Pica, but things are just starting to make sense for me.. I never craved eating things...mostly smelling them...except for the toothpaste...

What is also interesting is I feel/felt worse after the pregnancy when I wasn't truly anemic but my ferritin was a 1, than I did while I was in the 9-10 range for hemoglobin...

Then I had a surgery (c section) bled a ton, and then suddenly had super heavy periods...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2008, 12:02 PM   #17
    mmmalis
    (female)

mmmalis HB User

RHI -

i had posted a couple days ago telling you i had pretty much the exact same symptoms as you. i know the biggest question on your mind is probably is the low ferritin really causing all of these horrible symptoms??? it's the biggest question on my mind anyway.
    well i wanted to tell you that my labs were almost exactly the same as yours too. low mcv, low mch, and a really low ferritin. yet my red blood cells and hemoglobin were in the normal range. like you the hemoglobin was at teh low end of normal. it could be a coincidence but it's pretty strange that we both have these symptoms with very similar labs . . .
    i also decided to request my bloodwork from a drs office i used to go to from about a year and a half ago. sure enough the same numbers were low then. and no one even told me. i was ******. but it shows me that this has been going on for awhile. i guess everyone's bodies work differently . . . maybe hemoglobin drops faster for some?
    i studied vitamin deficiences in school this year and we read about cases where people have ie - a crazy b-12 deficiency and don't present with the classic anemia labs (low hemoglobin/hematocrit). so who knows.
    i know you've prob tried oral contraceptives to help with the bleeding, but they worked really well for me. i just skip the placebo pills most months so that i don't bleed. i started this becasue i was getting really bad migraines during my period. but it also means i'm still not sure why my iron is so low since my periods have been light forever.
    anyway. i hope your new labs shed some light on things. i'm oging back to teh dr monday. it might be too early but i'm hoping she'll re test my levels.
    i hope you feel better

Old 11-13-2008, 02:46 PM   #18
    moommin
    Veteran
    (female)

moommin HB User

hi when my ferritin was low,i told my friend that i wanted to eat dirt or chork, she thought i was mad ,i would eat packets of extra strong mints all day long, after taking iron for a few weeks i stopped, i have not touched a strong mint in two years, shirley.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:17 PM   #19
    Rhiannon68
    (female)

Rhiannon68 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by moommin View Post
    hi when my ferritin was low,i told my friend that i wanted to eat dirt or chork, she thought i was mad ,i would eat packets of extra strong mints all day long, after taking iron for a few weeks i stopped, i have not touched a strong mint in two years, shirley.
    It really is weird. I used to use pine sol like a mad person. I am a clean freak anyway and I would clean clean clean. I would even open the bottle and take a wiff from time to time.
    Everyday for years, I would get up and chew gum and clean. I remember my sister laughing at me for all of the packs of gum I had all over the house, she would say, something is wrong with you.
    It really is strange. I have not heard from the lab, but will post as soon as I do. I am so glad to have all of you to talk to.
    Let me know MMMalis of your labs, I am anxious to see what yours is too.
    What symptom is the worst for you?

Old 11-14-2008, 07:24 AM   #20
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Steph--What's strange is that I felt fine with a 2 ferritin and it was on the way up that I became so ill. It must have been going on a long, long time, meaning years. The severity of anemia symptoms are in proportion to the rate of development. I had PICA for a long time before I figured it out. I thought that I really liked ice now. LOL.

Shirley--I have to ask, did you ever really eat dirt? And when you say strong mints, I know in England they have very, very, strong mints. Isn't that where you are from? Seems like that's what I remember, somewhere over there.

MMM--Your MCV will also show you how long anemia has been present because the value continues to decline in IDA. Mine was 65 low which is severely small RBC's, check your MCV.

Ria--I have never heard of PICA as a symptom of low ferritin, but that doesn't mean that it not for you as an individual. This is my thinking from what I have been told by doctors and from what I have read. Maybe it really just comes down to an extremely low iron in general that causes this. And in the end, do they really know? I wonder sometimes. I know you can be anemic with periods and go back to a normal Hgb after so perhaps people are anemic and cycle back and forth. That is another possibility. But we do know this is related to low iron because it stops the symptoms rather quickly. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 11-14-2008, 09:08 AM   #21
    moommin
    Veteran
    (female)

moommin HB User

hi fflowergirl, the strong mints are very strong, i live in wales,uk,i diddnt eat dirt becouse i dont like worms LOL,i must have ate some when i was a child becouse i know what it tastes like,all the best shirley

Old 11-14-2008, 03:11 PM   #22
    mmmalis
    (female)

mmmalis HB User

rhi- the worst symptom for me is def the foggy head and the weird vertigo i get. it makes you feel like a completely different person I HATE IT. i have to study pretty much everyday and i literally hold my head still with my hands and tell myself to focus. i wish it would go away.
    flowergirl - my MCV a year and a half ago was 79 and now it's 74 so it has declined. i just wish the first dr had given me the heads up about my low serum iron so i could have done something about it. but we all know how that goes.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #23
    StephRabin
    (female)

StephRabin HB User

I agree with the foggy-brain being the worst...and sometimes if I turn my head faster than my eyes can catch up, I feel sick...I guess that's vertigo...Second on the list is the uncomfotable feeling in my whole body...like I want to crawl out of my skin...then comes the insomnia...it sucks.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:10 PM   #24
    Rhiannon68
    (female)

Rhiannon68 HB User

I know, I wake up every morning praying that I don't ge that foggy feeling again. I was like that the whole summer, I just felt awful. I felt spaced out, stunned or something, just so so tired and dizzy. I don't know if its just plain out mental fatigue or what. It was so scary.
    I looked up derealization/depersonalization and thought it was that. I just felt like crap all in my head. But I did not really feel that it was anxiety, b/c when it leaves, I am fine. I don't think it was depression, b/c I had the desire to do things, I just did not feel like doing them.
    I just hope that it was my iron that caused it and that I won't have it again. I really felt as though I was cracking up. It was pure hell.
    Do you all really feel that iron can cause this?
    I still did not hear from my labs yet.
    Thanks

Old 11-18-2008, 03:03 PM   #25
    Rhiannon68
    (female)

Rhiannon68 HB User

Hello
    I got my iron results today, my Fe is now a 40!! I went from a 2 to a 40 in 18 weeks!!!!
    I was shocked, I thought it would be a 12 or something. He wants me back in 3 months.
    Is it normal for it to go up so fast???

Old 11-18-2008, 03:55 PM   #26
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Rhiannon68--It is for you! Everyone is individual when it comes to ferritin. And the body also knows how much to absorb and when. For some people in the beginning it absorbs better at that time because you really need it and then it may slow a bit. You obviously don't have a problem with storing iron. Some people are just lucky that way! Good for you! Hope you continue with your progress. Good luck to you. Keep us posted. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 11-19-2008, 09:57 PM   #27
    Rhiannon68
    (female)

Rhiannon68 HB User

I am now worrying about getting too much iron. Ya know, I did not even ask if I should keep taking the same dosage of Iron twice a day. I am afraid I will get too much before I go back in 3 months?
    He said he wants it around 50. Does that sound pretty average for iron??
    I just don't trust the medical profession too much.
    Thanks

Old 11-21-2008, 01:58 PM   #28
    Rhiannon68
    (female)

Rhiannon68 HB User

I have one more question, the reference range on my results for normal iron levels is a long stretch to say the least, it says 10-232 ng, I mean shoot, where should I be??
    Doc says around 50......

Old 11-21-2008, 07:54 PM   #29
    StephRabin
    (female)

StephRabin HB User

Ferritn should be between 50-100. Mine is at a 28 and all is 'normal'. To go from a 1 to a 50 can take a year. It has taken me six months to go from 1 to a 28. When I was getting heavy periods, it was like two steps forward, one step back. I hope this is finished now that I am on continuous birth control.

Closed Thread