It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Test results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-20-2008, 11:58 PM   #1
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User
    Lightbulb Test results

I finally collected the results from my blood test in May 2008. I had thought that B12 levels were tested for but to my dismay, that is not in these results, and I'd have to go for additional tests.

I had gone in to the doctor's about severe constipation to which he recommended a thyroid check, and I decided to go for the whole blood work up because I hadn't gotten one yet (and I'm 27 now.) Nonetheless, here are the results.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Comprehensive Metabolic Panel w/EGFR

....................................In range...Out of range...Reference Range
    Glucose..........................65..... .........................65-99 mg/dL
    Urea Nitrogen (BUN).........12........................ .......7-25 mg/dL
    Creatinine.......................0.87... .........................0.50-1.30 mg/dL
    eGFR Non-Afr. American....>60......................... ....> OR = 60
    eGFR African American......>60....................... ......> OR = 60
    Bun/Creatinine Ratio.........14........................ ......6-22 (calc)
    Sodium...........................140.... .........................135-146 mmol/L
    Potassium.......................4.1..... .........................3.5-5.3 mmol/L
    Chloride..........................103... ..........................98-110 mmol/L
    Carbon dioxide.................28.............. .................21-33 mmol/L
    Calcium..........................9.8.... ..........................8.6-10.2 mg/dL
    Protein, total...................7.3............. .................6.2-8.3 g/dL
    Albumin..........................5.0.... ..........................3.6-5.1 g/dL
    Globulin..........................2.3... ...........................2.1-3.7 g/dL (calc)
    Albumin/Globulin ratio.......................2.2 H...........1.0-2.1 (calc)
    Bilirubin, total..................1.2.............. ................0.2-1.2 mg/dL
    Alkaline Phosphatase.........62.................. .............40-115 U/L
    AST...............................27.... ...........................10-40 U/L
    ALT...............................32.... ............................9-60 U/L

Complete Blood Count (includes Diff/Plt)

....................................In range....Out of range....Reference range
    White blood cell count......4.8.......................... ......3.8-10.8 Thousand/uL
    Red blood cell count.........4.66...................... ........4.20-5.80 Million/uL
    Hemoglobin.....................15.3..... .........................13.2-17.1 g/dL
    Hematocrit.....................42.4..... ..........................3.8.5-50.0 %
    MCV..............................91.0... ............................80.0-100.0 fL
    MCH..............................32.8... ............................27.0-33.0 pg
    MCHC............................36.0.... ...........................32.0-36.0 g/dL
    RDW..............................11.9... ...........................11.0-15.0 %
    Platelet count.................169............... ................140-400 Thousand/uL
    Absolute neutrophils.........2626................ ..............1500-7800 cells/uL
    Absolute lymphocytes.......1665.................. ............850-3900 cells/uL
    Absolute monocytes.........374................... .............200-950 cells/uL
    Absolute eosinophils.........120................. ...............15-500 cells/uL
    Absolute basophils............24................. ................0-200 cells/uL
    Neutrophils......................54.7... ...........................%
    Lymphocytes...................34.5...... ........................%
    Monocytes......................7.8...... ..........................%
    Eosinophils......................2.5.... ............................%
    Basophils........................0.5.... ............................%

TSH, 3rd Generation.........1.38................. ..............0.40-4.50 mIU/L

List of results printed in the out of range column:
    Albumin/Globulin ratio.....................2.2........... .........1.0-2.1 (calc)

While I did not get the B12 level checked (I hadn't the foresight at the time), are there any results here which either point toward or away from a B12 deficiency?

The other concern I had, going in to this test, was liver and kidney function because of a long bout with drug/alcohol addiction. This test did pull up a high number for "albumin/globulin ratio" but the doctor never even mentioned it when he called, I guess it is a borderline high number..? What could this mean?

Anyone?

Last edited by Benit; 11-21-2008 at 12:07 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2008, 12:06 AM   #2
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User
    Re: Test results

To put my test results in context, here's my symptoms again:

- Constant head pressure (first symptom)
    - Occasional periods of confusion
    - Massive brain fog, poor short term memory
    - Fatigue, tiredness
    - Lots of floaters in the eye, which may appear out of nowhere and change on the fly--tolerable, but very annoying
    - Daily tinnitus (mostly in the left ear, but occasionally "switches" to the right ear)
    - Slight lessening of sensation on different areas of the body (occasional numbness/tingling)
    - Visual problems, most noticeably is difficulty moving my eye muscles (seems to be tied in with head pressure)
    - There is no preference for which eye is affected, both eyes don't move smoothly anymore...
    - Eye twitches/involuntary eye movement
    - Stiffness/postural problems, makes for awkward walking, but no actual problems with mobility. Could be partially due to sitting in front of a computer too long, lack of proper exercise, etc.
    - Occasional trouble coordinating my leg movement, sometimes I can't feel the ground well.. "like walking on sponges"
    - Unusual trouble with fine motor control, hard to hold small objects (I've been dropping small objects lately, and it's also harder to hold onto large objects too!)
    - Stiff neck (could be from postural issues)
    - Occasional trouble swallowing, my throat sometimes feels tighter; and my jaw doesn't always cooperate properly (it's like my jaw isn't coordinated anymore; a similar effect with my eye muscles)
    - Snapping jaw, like it's out of alignment (sometimes my jaw "tweaks to the left" involuntarily)
    - Caffeine ingestion seems to cause occasional blurred vision and floaters, but not always.
    - Occasional light sensitivity
    - Frequent foamy urine (but not constant)
    - Slight water retention in face/hands/feet
    - Sweating during sleep—the sweat has a sweet/fragrant odor to it
    - Alcohol intolerance. It makes most of my symptoms worse, especially the eye twitching/involuntary eye movement stuff--more than 3 drinks and I notice worsened symptoms the next day, well past the hangover stage
    - My constipation (always a problem) is worse than ever
    - Bowel movements are more difficult--the stools are shaped oddly, and I can't empty my bowels thoroughly, it always feels incomplete.
    - Basically it feels like my abdominal/lower back muscles aren't cooperating fully, and that's a possible explanation for why bowel movements are a lot harder
    - Cold *or* warmth in the extremities at times where I shouldn't be feeling either cold or warm...

Old 11-21-2008, 03:25 AM   #3
    robinegg
    (female)

robinegg HB Userrobinegg HB User

Hi Bill

The only thing that stands out to me is your plateltes are within normal ranges but they are on the lowside for sure this can indicate B12 deficiency or folate defieciency your albumin/globulin range is a little high I think this can relate to dehydration or infection not ceratin though but it may be insignificent too.......

Bill the best thing if you are concerned about B12 and I have seen your posts on the other site is to try some methyl subs the advice you have been given from there is without a doubt excellent........If you feel better on the subs and its cofactors there you have it or get those... tests done..........I dont want to offend but you will not get your diagnoses here and it seems it is bothering you and looking at your symptoms I dont blame you at all I have been there with your symptoms it is not a nice place to be........you will not get injections of B12 unless you get more tests and even then you will have to convince them to give you methyl over cyanocobalamin or hyroxo..So perhaps get some of those Jarrows and give them a go......

Good luck Bill

Old 11-22-2008, 12:27 AM   #4
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rainbows End View Post
    Hi Bill

The only thing that stands out to me is your plateltes are within normal ranges but they are on the lowside for sure this can indicate B12 deficiency or folate defieciency your albumin/globulin range is a little high I think this can relate to dehydration or infection not ceratin though but it may be insignificent too.......

Bill the best thing if you are concerned about B12 and I have seen your posts on the other site is to try some methyl subs the advice you have been given from there is without a doubt excellent........If you feel better on the subs and its cofactors there you have it or get those... tests done..........I dont want to offend but you will not get your diagnoses here and it seems it is bothering you and looking at your symptoms I dont blame you at all I have been there with your symptoms it is not a nice place to be........you will not get injections of B12 unless you get more tests and even then you will have to convince them to give you methyl over cyanocobalamin or hyroxo..So perhaps get some of those Jarrows and give them a go......

Good luck Bill
    Great to see you back Rainbows End. I'm also looking into what the slightly high albumin/globulin could mean because I've had foamy urine for a long time.

I know I won't get my diagnoses here but have you encountered this particular symptom? From my research on the other site it is unlikely to be a result of B12 deficiency.

Learning what I can on the net will help me prepare for my next doctor's visit which has become inevitable at this point.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hey bill, i just answered your other post but did not see these symptoms listed there. i just wanted to mention something when you see your doc again? have them check your magnesium level too. my son had low mag while he was going thru liver failure(no way saying this is what you have just a possible low mag in general?) many years ago(everything got screwed up with this at some point,the week before it was his potassium)and it DID affect every little muscle in his body,and even started causing thse snappy little contortions of his hands? it just came out of nowhere one night,his hands just started snapping violently back and forth and his fingers just spasmed up. it was crazy let me tell ya. but when i got him to the ER,they checked his mag level and it was very very low. this is what casued the muscle crap to begin with. once they gave him a round of IV mag and we started him on mag ox 400,it all went away and never came back again. but low mag has a very very direct effect on ALL muscles in our bodies. its what KEEPS our muslces kind of lax for the most part,so if this is low,believe me,some really strange things can occur with regards to any of your muscles,which it really does sound you are having here. just take a good look at your symptoms and see how many of them have like a "muscle base" possibility that could be at least part of the underlying issue. it wouldn;t hurt to have this checked while there too. just wanted you to be aware of what the mag can do when too low. they did check your potassium but no mag was tested. marcia

Old 11-22-2008, 05:29 PM   #6
    robinegg
    (female)

robinegg HB Userrobinegg HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bill Zenith View Post
    Great to see you back Rainbows End. I'm also looking into what the slightly high albumin/globulin could mean because I've had foamy urine for a long time.

I know I won't get my diagnoses here but have you encountered this particular symptom? From my research on the other site it is unlikely to be a result of B12 deficiency.

Learning what I can on the net will help me prepare for my next doctor's visit which has become inevitable at this point.
    Dear Bill

With the frothy urine I am sure you are already aware that it is caused from a leakage of protien from the kidneys....It can be caused from several things...I have not experienced this with my deficiency and think it would be highly unlikely that could be the cause......I remember being pregnant with my son and having pre eclampsia (high blood pressure ) I started to leak protien in my urine at that time so my son had to be born early...

Do you think that you have any swelling in the feet ankles hands ect?

I think it would be very wise to see a doc right now I dont want to scare you Bill but it is now paramount and would suggest you ask to be tested for Lupus, Diabetes along with the B12.......

Take care Bill

Rainbows End

Last edited by robinegg; 11-22-2008 at 05:30 PM.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:16 PM   #7
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
    hey bill, i just answered your other post but did not see these symptoms listed there. i just wanted to mention something when you see your doc again? have them check your magnesium level too. my son had low mag while he was going thru liver failure(no way saying this is what you have just a possible low mag in general?) many years ago(everything got screwed up with this at some point,the week before it was his potassium)and it DID affect every little muscle in his body,and even started causing thse snappy little contortions of his hands? it just came out of nowhere one night,his hands just started snapping violently back and forth and his fingers just spasmed up. it was crazy let me tell ya. but when i got him to the ER,they checked his mag level and it was very very low. this is what casued the muscle crap to begin with. once they gave him a round of IV mag and we started him on mag ox 400,it all went away and never came back again. but low mag has a very very direct effect on ALL muscles in our bodies. its what KEEPS our muslces kind of lax for the most part,so if this is low,believe me,some really strange things can occur with regards to any of your muscles,which it really does sound you are having here. just take a good look at your symptoms and see how many of them have like a "muscle base" possibility that could be at least part of the underlying issue. it wouldn;t hurt to have this checked while there too. just wanted you to be aware of what the mag can do when too low. they did check your potassium but no mag was tested. marcia
    It's a distinct possibility. I've read a lot about magnesium deficiency and its link to migraines + muscle problems. I went as far as getting an inexpensive brand of Magnesium (magnesium oxide) supplements and trying 2 a day for a while, but no response... I also tried half a pint of Epsom Salts with warm water for an hour.. no response...

Apart from asking to get mag levels tested, I guess I could try a higher quality mag supplement (magnesium citrate) ?

Old 11-24-2008, 08:50 AM   #8
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

my son takes mag ox 400. its a good suppliment,but before you actually go that route,you really DO just need to have that level checked first. too much of anything is not always good,ya know? if your mag level is actually normal you could get too much mag. just get thee to your doc bill,really. this is where you WILL get the proper info which would dictate what your next steps should be. all we are able to do here is simply 'guess' ya know? you need the proper testing to just know where you are at,with everything you have concerns about. marcia

Old 11-25-2008, 10:10 AM   #9
    scout316
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scout316 HB Userscout316 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bill Zenith View Post
    I finally collected the results from my blood test in May 2008. I had thought that B12 levels were tested for but to my dismay, that is not in these results, and I'd have to go for additional tests.

I had gone in to the doctor's about severe constipation to which he recommended a thyroid check, and I decided to go for the whole blood work up because I hadn't gotten one yet (and I'm 27 now.) Nonetheless, here are the results.

Comprehensive Metabolic Panel w/EGFR

....................................In range...Out of range...Reference Range
    Glucose..........................65..... .........................65-99 mg/dL
    Urea Nitrogen (BUN).........12........................ .......7-25 mg/dL
    Creatinine.......................0.87... .........................0.50-1.30 mg/dL
    eGFR Non-Afr. American....>60......................... ....> OR = 60
    eGFR African American......>60....................... ......> OR = 60
    Bun/Creatinine Ratio.........14........................ ......6-22 (calc)
    Sodium...........................140.... .........................135-146 mmol/L
    Potassium.......................4.1..... .........................3.5-5.3 mmol/L
    Chloride..........................103... ..........................98-110 mmol/L
    Carbon dioxide.................28.............. .................21-33 mmol/L
    Calcium..........................9.8.... ..........................8.6-10.2 mg/dL
    Protein, total...................7.3............. .................6.2-8.3 g/dL
    Albumin..........................5.0.... ..........................3.6-5.1 g/dL
    Globulin..........................2.3... ...........................2.1-3.7 g/dL (calc)
    Albumin/Globulin ratio.......................2.2 H...........1.0-2.1 (calc)
    Bilirubin, total..................1.2.............. ................0.2-1.2 mg/dL
    Alkaline Phosphatase.........62.................. .............40-115 U/L
    AST...............................27.... ...........................10-40 U/L
    ALT...............................32.... ............................9-60 U/L

Complete Blood Count (includes Diff/Plt)

....................................In range....Out of range....Reference range
    White blood cell count......4.8.......................... ......3.8-10.8 Thousand/uL
    Red blood cell count.........4.66...................... ........4.20-5.80 Million/uL
    Hemoglobin.....................15.3..... .........................13.2-17.1 g/dL
    Hematocrit.....................42.4..... ..........................3.8.5-50.0 %
    MCV..............................91.0... ............................80.0-100.0 fL
    MCH..............................32.8... ............................27.0-33.0 pg
    MCHC............................36.0.... ...........................32.0-36.0 g/dL
    RDW..............................11.9... ...........................11.0-15.0 %
    Platelet count.................169............... ................140-400 Thousand/uL
    Absolute neutrophils.........2626................ ..............1500-7800 cells/uL
    Absolute lymphocytes.......1665.................. ............850-3900 cells/uL
    Absolute monocytes.........374................... .............200-950 cells/uL
    Absolute eosinophils.........120................. ...............15-500 cells/uL
    Absolute basophils............24................. ................0-200 cells/uL
    Neutrophils......................54.7... ...........................%
    Lymphocytes...................34.5...... ........................%
    Monocytes......................7.8...... ..........................%
    Eosinophils......................2.5.... ............................%
    Basophils........................0.5.... ............................%

TSH, 3rd Generation.........1.38................. ..............0.40-4.50 mIU/L

List of results printed in the out of range column:
    Albumin/Globulin ratio.....................2.2........... .........1.0-2.1 (calc)

While I did not get the B12 level checked (I hadn't the foresight at the time), are there any results here which either point toward or away from a B12 deficiency?

The other concern I had, going in to this test, was liver and kidney function because of a long bout with drug/alcohol addiction. This test did pull up a high number for "albumin/globulin ratio" but the doctor never even mentioned it when he called, I guess it is a borderline high number..? What could this mean?

Anyone?

hello Bill

I looked at your tests results and there's a few that I'd like to comment on.

glucose 65(65-99)
    this is at the "low end"...so that might be you have Hypoglycemia(low blood sugar)...I dx with this also when I was 21...and then I had to go on a restrictive diet to keep my blood sugars stabilized.I had a glucose test wher I had to drink this stuff and then they checked my urine every so often and did blood labs too...this is how I was dx...I think it's called a "glucose intolerance test".

albumin/globulin ratio 2.2 High(1.0-2.1)
    I don't know what this means,but it is High....should be looked into
    albumin 5.0(3.6-5.1)
    this one's at the "high end" too....could mean that you are Dehydrated,have some kind of liver problem,acute hepatitis or gallstones,anemia......also a dark amber color urine with nausea/vomiting abdominal pain and or swelling and fatigue could mean pernicious anemia.

bilirubin 1.2(0.2-1.2)
    this one is "high end" too......also points to liver problems,hepatitis,gallstones.

MCH 32.8(27.0-33.0)
    again at "high end"...."macrocytic(large)RBCs(red bld.cells)have a "higher" MCH...this points to some type of Anemia

MCHC 36.0(32.0-36.0)
    "high end" again....I researched this one and a high level could mean Hyperchromia(I'll have to see what that means...I'm not familar with that one)

You said you had a previous drug/alcohol problem so I'm just wondering if tat has effected your health,because your labs are pointing to something going on with your liver and also with your blood sugar and possibly B12.

Your MCH points to a possible B12 deficiency....also your lower end platelets too.

Are you having any signs of fluid retention?I ask because this was one of my symptoms with low B12.

Have you gotten any health insurance yet Bill?Really you need to have some current blood tests done.....the longer you wait the more you're putting your health in jeopardy.Possibly you could look into finding a free health clinic?

In the best interest of your health Bill you need to stay away from any alcohol....at least 'til you get a dx for your health ailments,okay?Drinking at this point is very risky...you could have serious consequences with a sudden drop in blood sugar.

Wish I could be of more help to ya....but we are all here for you Bill even if you can't get to a dr. for tests(we're not going to forsake you buddy!).

later~~~~~Scout

Old 11-26-2008, 12:41 AM   #10
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User

Thanks a lot for your response Scout... I was thinking you had "forsaken" me... your insight here is invaluable.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scout316 View Post
    hello Bill

I looked at your tests results and there's a few that I'd like to comment on.

glucose 65(65-99)
    this is at the "low end"...so that might be you have Hypoglycemia(low blood sugar)...I dx with this also when I was 21...and then I had to go on a restrictive diet to keep my blood sugars stabilized.I had a glucose test wher I had to drink this stuff and then they checked my urine every so often and did blood labs too...this is how I was dx...I think it's called a "glucose intolerance test".

albumin/globulin ratio 2.2 High(1.0-2.1)
    I don't know what this means,but it is High....should be looked into
    albumin 5.0(3.6-5.1)
    this one's at the "high end" too....could mean that you are Dehydrated,have some kind of liver problem,acute hepatitis or gallstones,anemia......also a dark amber color urine with nausea/vomiting abdominal pain and or swelling and fatigue could mean pernicious anemia.
    I frequently have dark and/or yellow urine, along with foamy urine. An interesting observation I've noticed lately is when I urinate after getting up in the morning, my urine is usually clear-colored, and without any "foam." Then I'll have a meal (I tend to have a sizable breakfast just out of habit) and when I urinate some time after that, all of a sudden not only is my urine darker (and sometimes "burns slightly") but then the foam appears. Strange, but this pattern has been consistent.

Yes I have also been noticing fluid retention more often these days.. most recently in my fingers.. there is slight swelling in my hands. I just noticed a week ago if I press or scratch the pad of my fingers, the imprint stays pressed-in for 5 or more seconds. I don't remember this ever being the case. I also notice water retention elsewhere in my body... it is however most pronounced any time I have alcohol, even if I just have 3 drinks, water retention becomes very obvious--this observation from when I was drinking more, now I only have 1-2 drinks per month.

Fatigue has become almost constant and sometimes even when I'm well-rested.. I also get nausea but it's far and few between. The most troubling thing for me that's happened in a while is short bursts of "confusion"--like a feeling of unreality. This was pretty bad the last 3 days although it finally seemed to diminish today. (sigh of relief)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scout316
    bilirubin 1.2(0.2-1.2)
    this one is "high end" too......also points to liver problems,hepatitis,gallstones.

MCH 32.8(27.0-33.0)
    again at "high end"...."macrocytic(large)RBCs(red bld.cells)have a "higher" MCH...this points to some type of Anemia

MCHC 36.0(32.0-36.0)
    "high end" again....I researched this one and a high level could mean Hyperchromia(I'll have to see what that means...I'm not familar with that one)

You said you had a previous drug/alcohol problem so I'm just wondering if tat has effected your health,because your labs are pointing to something going on with your liver and also with your blood sugar and possibly B12.

Your MCH points to a possible B12 deficiency....also your lower end platelets too.

Are you having any signs of fluid retention?I ask because this was one of my symptoms with low B12.
    As I mentioned above, I've been having signs of fluid retention for a while. After I had been drinking heavily for a year, it started to become very obvious, although I put it down to the drinking. Then when I finally stopped all the booze, it wasn't overtly obvious anymore, but I still exhibit many signs of it, most recently in my hands/fingers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scout316
    Have you gotten any health insurance yet Bill?Really you need to have some current blood tests done.....the longer you wait the more you're putting your health in jeopardy.Possibly you could look into finding a free health clinic?

In the best interest of your health Bill you need to stay away from any alcohol....at least 'til you get a dx for your health ailments,okay?Drinking at this point is very risky...you could have serious consequences with a sudden drop in blood sugar.

Wish I could be of more help to ya....but we are all here for you Bill even if you can't get to a dr. for tests(we're not going to forsake you buddy!).

later~~~~~Scout
    Well I managed to finally collect these results, that's one small step forward. Now the plan is to see the doctor again after Thanksgiving. The symptoms I plan to tell him include (most alarmingly) a swollen area on my chest, the urinary abnormalities, the confusion, and the water retention. But I have so many other "little" symptoms... a whole collection of them if you see my second post in this thread.. it's hard to tell where I should begin.

This time I *will* see the doctor and I'll get more blood tests per the doc's orders. This thing just keeps getting worse and worse..

Old 11-26-2008, 08:51 AM   #11
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

just a suggestion here bill for when you see the doc? have them check your ammonia level too. this can be a reason for confusion or 'clouded' thinkig? it occurs when the portal vein running thru the liver is somewhat impaired? this can just happen if you have some level of alcoholic cirhosis going on that can affect that P vein.

try pinching the top of your hand skin together and see how long it takes for that skin to bounce back to flat again. what you have been explaining really sounds to some degree a level of dehydration going on here too. that 'tenting' test would show that. it should go down pretty quickly,if it does not,you are probably somewhat dehydrated. it IS possible to retain fluid in one area but still be somewhat dehydrated too. just exactly what area in your chest(or could this be the upper abdominal area?) is "alarmingly swollen"? that is something you have never mentioned before now. marcia

Old 11-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #12
    scout316
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hi Bill

oh I do so agree with Marcia about getting an ammonia level(thank you Marcia for all your excellent knowledge....you are fabulous!).

What I want to suggest to you Bill is that you start keeping a log about what you eat and what time you ate...then put down what symptoms you get and at what time also...this may help you see if there's a pattern to anything....and if you have a possible blood sugar situation.

What happens with lowblood sugar is that when you eat your blood sugar goes up slightly and then levels out.With hypoglycemia your blood sugar goes up higher and then "drops" drastically..it is the sudden "drop" that will triggere symptoms...usually a tinglingaround the mouth area,cofusion,sweating,nervousness,heart palpitations.numbness in hands.

It is known that when you have a vitamin deficiency you may have fluid retention...so getting enough fluids is necessary.Also being dehydrated is another thing.What I experienced was that I would retain fluids so I would drink water(natural diuretic)and ten I would get dehydrated...so confusing!!!!My dr. told me to sip gatorade throughout the day(every 15 minutes or so)......this is sometimes still an issue for me....(any suggestions on this Marcia?please help me with this).
    i noticed that when I was very low in B12 that the fluid retention and dehydration was really bad.......much better now so I know the B12 is helping.

Bill make sure you ask your dr. to check your B12,MMA,Folic Acid and Homocysteine...all 4 of those tests are Crucial to a Correct B12 deficiency dx,okay?okay.The dr. will most likely just do a direct B12 level..if that happens and your B12 levelis under 400 then you really,positively need th MMA test...no doubts about that!!!!

Also people who are diabetic can have big dips in their blood sugar also...so I would suggest a glucose intolerance test,but their is also a test that they can do(just from blood labs)that will show what your average blood sugar has been for the last few months...I'll look it up and let you know the test name.

Bill it's very common to have a B12 deficiency,low blood sugar and liver problems when you've had a history of alcohol/drug use...so try not to worry about it too much~okay?okay.You'll get some answers soon....sometrimes what we do to our bodies doesn't show up'til later on,but then again I think your symptoms have been around long enough that your body is starting to really feel the effects...so your health is declining,but hopefully just some simple blood labs can give you the answers and dxs you need...so you can get well and have a better quality of health.

A good idea too is that your dr. needs to check all your electrolytes too.Magnesium,phosphorus,vitamin D....these levels are very critical.

I wish you the best...I know it's so hard these days to find affordable and good health care.......it's reallya shame that so many of us have to suffer,because of lack of insurance or decent insurance......just not right!

Have a good day/evening~

Scout~
    I meant normal blood sugar goes up slightly then levels out...sorry!

Last edited by scout316; 11-26-2008 at 12:03 PM.

Old 11-27-2008, 01:38 AM   #13
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
    just a suggestion here bill for when you see the doc? have them check your ammonia level too. this can be a reason for confusion or 'clouded' thinkig? it occurs when the portal vein running thru the liver is somewhat impaired? this can just happen if you have some level of alcoholic cirhosis going on that can affect that P vein.
    I seem to be looking at a lot of conditions where permanent damage/grim outcome is the rule... this isn't something I'm prepared for, being a wimp and all...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by feelbad
    try pinching the top of your hand skin together and see how long it takes for that skin to bounce back to flat again. what you have been explaining really sounds to some degree a level of dehydration going on here too. that 'tenting' test would show that. it should go down pretty quickly,if it does not,you are probably somewhat dehydrated.
    I just tried it and I seemed to get a normal response for this one... the skin bounced back flat, pretty quickly, just like I'm used to seeing.

I'm not sure if the water retention in my hands would be obvious enough for a doctor to raise suspicion about it, but I can tell you it is abnormal for me, I never used to have "extra fluid" in my fingers before.

One thing I've noticed for a while though, along these lines: if I press anywhere on my body for like 15+ seconds, esp. on the upper part of my legs, the area becomes reddish for a while and it takes a while for the color to go back to normal. Being 27 years old now, I don't remember this being the case except in the last 1-2 years.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by feelbad
    it IS possible to retain fluid in one area but still be somewhat dehydrated too. just exactly what area in your chest(or could this be the upper abdominal area?) is "alarmingly swollen"? that is something you have never mentioned before now. marcia
    This is another "newish" symptom. About 5 months ago, just before I got my blood drawn, I noticed a reddish raised spot on my right breast. There also seemed to be a cluster of smaller red spots around it (I still have a few red spots in the area there, now.) It didn't alarm me much then, it looked like it could have been a bug bite or something benign. Although in subsequent weeks I noticed the area was swelling and a little painful when I pressed on it, then I became concerned.

At this point it doesn't seem to be a lump, more of just a "swollen area" on my right breast, as if the tissue beneath is inflamed possibly. That's just my lay-person observation of it though--it seems to go "across" my breast, rather than being like a single lump.

I'm probably a fool for not getting this checked out earlier. Waiting for the swelling to go down, did not work...

Old 11-28-2008, 11:50 PM   #14
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User

Gosh darn this to heck... it ruined my Thanksgiving. I went to a friend's house for turkey-day and had to deal with an entire day of periods of confusion, feelings of unreality, spaciness, numbness with loss of prioperception. I had trouble talking even, as it was hard to follow conversation and hard to respond (tough to describe.) This stuff is really getting me down now. The confusion/unreality is the worst of it.

I'm going to take the NOW B-12 sublingual (liquid form) again, between 4-5mgs per day, to see if it does anything to reduce the "confusion"... I'm desperate at this point.

Getting really tired w/ massive brain fog, after meals, is another one really ticking me off lately. Essentially I have to *wait* for a couple hours after a meal before my mental functioning becomes clear enough again. This is just not the way to live.

Anyone? Yes I know I should see the doc, but if I can't complain here about my health issues, I have nowhere else to go...

Old 11-29-2008, 07:01 AM   #15
    scout316
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bill

Yes we're here for you......really concerned about you....well the B12 won't hurt you,but Rainbows End said it might make you feel a little worse...like for about 3 weeks.

I noticed after I get my B12 shot I feel a little achey for about 3 days...then I feel great for about 10 days or so(I think I need more B12).

The best B12 is the Methylcobalamin made by Jarrows...it comes in 1,000 and 5,000 mcgs.......your body doesn't have to convert it like the cyanocabalamin.Do you have a whole food stores by you?They have it there plus they have people that know all about vitamins working there that can really help you with any concerns about your health and what vitamins to take.

Really Bill I know how you feel...low B12 can makeyou feel like you're going crazy...especially with the confusion....I've had all those strange symptoms too with not being able to talk right.....after all low B12 presents with so many neurological symptoms so it's no wonder you feel so bad.....I know very well how bad it can and does get.

Try to relax....but if it get's too much for you then you need to see a dr......the longer you wait Bill the worse it might get.I told you your one test(MCH)is showing you are probably B12 deficient....this is a strong indicator.

You don't have any jaundice do you?(that would indicate hepatitis).Do you look pale like you're anemic?Do you get tightness in your legs?

I know you're wimpish,but I am too(very much!!!!),but it's because you're not feeling well that is making you feel more scared....I was the Same way...Really.

I'm here for ya Bill.......you can do a few things to help your body/mind relax.Take a small hand towel and soak part of it in really hot water and put in behind your neck..it feels good and the heat will loosen your tense muscles.Eat cereal that has a Lot of vitamins in it...like total,special k,etc.Stay clear of any situations that might cause you stress....and try to eat red meat as much as possible(for the iron).

Sorry you're holiday was not pleasant for you.You'll get better...you just need some encouragement...and it will get better for you...you'll see a dr. when you're ready.

Scout

Closed Thread