It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• RED PALMS, please help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-19-2008, 07:12 AM   #1
    liznip
    (female)

liznip HB User
    Question RED PALMS, please help

Hello everyone, hope you are having a pain free day,

well, i have a new symptom i want to ask about.

my palms are turned beet red, right below my picky fingers only, has anyone had this happen and does anyone know what this might be??\

im very worried, i dont want any new supprises with this rsd monster.

ive been looking around online for answers but no luck.

thank you for listening, have a pain free day,liz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2008, 07:35 AM   #2
    laaema0507
    (female)

laaema0507 HB User
    Re: RED PALMS, please help

Hi Liz, I have Rsd in my Arms, hands, shoulder, neck and going into my head. But my hand turn blue a lot but my palms turn red and have white blotchy spots. Hope this helps
    Lori

Old 11-19-2008, 12:33 PM   #3
    Sandy325
    (female)

Sandy325 HB User

I also have a red palm. Sometimes it's all red, sometimes it's blotchy red and white. My fingers are almost always numb. I have RSD in my right shoulder, my neck and the back of my head. My hand and arm are usually numb and tingly, but I only get the bad RSD pain when the weather is turning bad or I try to do too much.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:57 PM   #4
    Michelle94
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Michelle94 HB User

I have RSD in both hands and feet. My hands turn beet red all the time and burn.. Usually it is just the palms mostly.. It actually looks like a glove look is what they call it.. If you look on the side of my hand.. There is a perfect line going straight down my hand.. From front to back.. Like if you look on the pinkie side.. Hope this helps some.. I also hope that its not the monster... Good luck.. Does your hand burn at all?
    Michelle

Old 11-19-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
    rayefaye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rayefaye HB User

Before I was dx'd, my hands would be blood red and burn. I could touch someone and they could feel how hot my hands were. My elbows were also red and hurt real bad. My scalp also was red with itchy bumps over it and it caused me to lose most of my hair. But once I started taking Neurontin for the RSD alot of it went away. My hands and elbows still get real and my hands will burn and are still hot to the touch.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:40 AM   #6
    liznip
    (female)

liznip HB User
    Smile Re: RED PALMS, please help

thank you all for the information, i was really woried,,

my hands stay beet red all the time now just on the picky side usually,
    when i do to much the red spot turn into huge blisters, they look like ive burned them like a third degree burn, they will burn to the touch and all.

Other times and I wonder if you guys get this two????

sometimes my hands become so useless that they curl all up in weird deformed ways, (they look like ive had arthritis for years)

they hurt and burn and as long as they are that way i am unable to feed myself, write or type or anything, they dont listen to me when they are like this. anyone have those things happen with your hands??

my doctor only wants to treat my right foot where my rsd was originally dxed.
    you see i had the catheder thingy with the 5 days of meds, Mine didnt work, it went horribally wrong, it did everything it wasnt suppose to and i think the doctor is affraid i might sue.

anyways, do any of you get these problems with your hands??
    or what else happens to your hands? liz

Last edited by liznip; 11-20-2008 at 01:42 AM.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:36 AM   #7
    liznip
    (female)

liznip HB User
    Re: RED PALMS, new problem

Hi everyone, hope you are all having a pain free nite....
    As you can see, Im not...

I had another symtem to ask about, do any of you get really bad headaches with this rsd?? and if so, what does it feel like?\
    And what do you do to get it to stop?

Lately when I have a real bad flare up I also get this really painful headache and I also want to know what meds work to make it go away?

Can rsd effect you this way and give you headaches??

Well I hope you guys can help me figure this one out, I cant find anything (meds,asprin, midol.,aleive etc that even fase this headache one bet.

\Thank you for listing,
    I look for your suggestions and advice , soon,

liz

Old 11-22-2008, 04:32 AM   #8
    Sandy325
    (female)

Sandy325 HB User

Dear Liz,

Head pain is by far my worst symptom - I am so sorry that you also suffer from it. My headaches start at the back of my neck and go up the back of head, and are from muscle spasms primarily in my upper trapezius. I take Soma for spasms, and I have started to take one every time I feel the pain starting. Sometimes if the pain gets too bad I end up vomitting the meds up anyway.

I know that ice is a no-no for RSD, but when the head pain hits I will put cold compresses on my face and the top of my forehead and my temples. I also use heat on the back of my neck and head where the spasms are. My PT gave me stretching exercises for my neck which I try to do several times a day to prevent my muscles from tightening up.

I find the pain hits after I've used my bad arm too much. Especially if I've done too much and the weather is bad - double whammy! It's really hard with 2 kids, a dog (by far my favorite child since my kids are teenagers!) a full time job, and no household help. My husband is awesome, but he also works and has had to pick up the slack with me not being able to do much. But I've had to learn to just let some things go - I can't scrub the bathroom tiles and vacuum in the same day, or do too much laundry, or work outside for more than about half an hour at a time. And at work I have to get up from my desk and walk around and stretch my neck before it gets stiff.

Prevention has been the key for me. I don't get as many headaches as I used to because I try to be really careful not to overdo it.

I sincerely hope this information helps you. Sandy

Old 11-22-2008, 05:15 AM   #9
    Michelle94
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Michelle94 HB User

Liz,
    "HUGS" ... I know its hard.. and I feel so helpless..
    Yes... my hands use to get like that all the time.. I never knew what I was going to wake up to.. As soon has I used them, they would start flaring up right away.. I had the blisters, the peeling etc.. I had all this before I was actually dx with RSD.. so I use to use ice.. Which felt so good but I was actually making it worse.. Now.. I use heating pads.. It does help.. Neurontin has helped me alot.. I use take 1800mg.. that really didn't do much.. They just doubled it and it has helped big time...
    As for the headaches.. Very common with RSD.. I am actually in a research with DR Schwartzmans office.. They ask med so I figured it wouldn't hurt.. It will only help others down the line...
    I get the headachs the same as Sandy.. but only I don't use the ice.. I use hot compress.. I catch it before it gets bad.. I put the compress on my neck.. and take some advil.. and lay down.. If I don't catch it.. It gets really bad...
    I hope this helps some..
    Michelle

Old 11-22-2008, 05:29 AM   #10
    rayefaye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rayefaye HB User

Hi Liz, I don't really get blisters on my hands get little red bumps and my hands stay real dry all the time. They'e red and fell real hot to the touch but they're not as red as they were before I started taking Neurontin. In fact, my whole body stays hot to the touch. My husband is always asking me why my arms and hands feel so hot even though I can't tell it. My hands are also curled in a deformed state and I have trouble some days trying to write my own name. At times especially when it gets cold and it also makes my wrists hurt as well. I know I suffer from arthritis as well as from RSD.

I also get severe headaches which come from the muscles spasms in my neck. Usually they don't last that long especially if I can get my husband to massage my neck. The muscles surronding both sides of my neck are hard as bricks due to the fact I suffer from Cervical Dystonia. Sometimes the spasms go all the way up the side of my neck and all the muscles get real tight and feel like they're squeezing my head. This causes the severe headaches. I take Soma on a daily basis to help prevent the muscles spasms but there's days they don't even help. The weather can cause severe spasms and sometimes all I have to do is sneeze to bring on the severe spasms. I hope this helps answer some of your questions.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:28 PM   #11
    jessemom
    (female)

jessemom HB User

Liznip,
    I have the same problem...below the pinky finger and up to the wrist. Mine started following trigger thumb surgery. Whenever I use my hand too much, typing or any activity, my palm turns beet red and I get the burn. It's usually accompanied by a shooting pain...up my arm to the elbow...excruciating!!! When my hand flares, I can't write or do much of anything. My fingers curl into the palm...not spasms, just stiffening. Pain meds help a little and I've started taking Lyrica, which I'm not sure is working as well as Neurontin. I'm giving it another month and if it doesn't start to help, it's back to Neurontin. From what I've read about Lyrica, most people see results within a week or two.

Migraines have been a problem for me, too. I used to get them when I was in my 20's (I'm 54 now) but about a year ago, they started again. They're sporadic, no pattern, just appearing out of the blue but they are killers! They're always accompanied by nausea and sometimes vomiting. I take Fioricet (barbiturate w/ tylenol), which dulls the pain a bit (if I take it in time) and makes me very sleepy. I find that if I can sleep, they will usually go away. Getting to sleep with all the pain is difficult and Fioricet helps with that. I can't take my pain meds with Fioricet (actually, I think oxycodone makes them worse) but when I have a migraine, nothing else matters but the pain in my head, ear and jaw...like a vise. There are a lot of new meds out there for headaches/migraines but Fioricet is working for me so I stick with it.

If you've had migraines, you'll know what I'm talking about. I don't think there's another pain as bad. I would say RSD is easy compared to migraines except migraines eventually go away and RSD doesn't. It's just the anxiety of waiting to see if I'm going to get another attack that makes me nuts sometimes.

Just seems like we can't win, doesn't it? Don't know if this helps but I know what you're going through and hope you're coping as best you can.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:53 AM   #12
    liznip
    (female)

liznip HB User

THANK YOU alll for all the responses, I hope everyone had a very nice thanks giving day, pain free!

unforntunately my marrage is falling appart cause of rsd, but im trying to manage., so no thanksgiving here,
    thanks anyways
    liz

Old 11-28-2008, 10:03 AM   #13
    jessemom
    (female)

jessemom HB User

Liz,
    So sorry to hear about your marriage. Before I had the bad luck to be dx'd with RSD,I had never heard of it nor had anyone I know. I've given everyone literature to read and that's helped some. But, I have a family member who still asks me (after almost 3 years), "Why do you have to take all that medication?" Drives me crazy!!!

It's a sad but all to true fact of RSD that unless they have it, they'll never understand it. Hang in there! I sincerely hope things work out for you both.
    Vicki

Old 11-28-2008, 04:25 PM   #14
    hotfeet
    (female)

hotfeet HB User

I'm so sorry to hear about your marriage. I can see how it can happen. People just do not understand. You would think that the one that is the closest to you, would be the one to be most understanding. I know that my husband gets upset with me, although he would deny it to anyone. It's like he thinks that I am making it up, or using it to not want to do anything or go anywhere. There are times when I would love to run away from it, so why wouldn't he. Enough of this about me and mine. I'm sorry, it's just that I have been having a bad couple of days with my husband.

Please take care of yourself and remember that we are all here for you.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #15
    liznip
    (female)

liznip HB User
    Exclamation Re: RED PALMS, please help

hi, everyone!

well i really did now!!

yesterday i was walking around my basement and stubbed my middle toe on my original rsd site!!

go figure now im in a total flare up, and its the worst Ive ever experianced since i was dxd with this monster, rsd.

really, really , afraid to go to emergency for the fear of being touched,
    the fear of a possible broken toe,
    and the fear that this flare up will not stop this time!

my original dx for rsd came from an injury to the big toe on this foot, and now with this problem, feels like i just took 20 steps backwards!

I have a regular appointment next wensday with my pain management doctor and he is going to be so mad at how bad this middle toe looks now.
    he has been trying for a year to get these patches approved threw work mans comp for this very reason, because if i had, had shoes on, i probablyl wouldnt have hurt this toe so badly. yep, its hurting like a super sized tooth ache, with the numbness, yet very painful to touch or walk on.

thanks for listening to me bable, have a painfree day.

liz

Closed Thread