It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Get your ferritin up FAST

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-23-2008, 01:24 PM   #31
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
    Re: Get your ferritin up FAST

chilekids2004 - loosing a section of eyebrown (especially the outter section) for no reason at all is a classic sign of having a thyroid problem. I don't know of it being connected to any other illness, i've only heard of the thyroid connection. Have you had a thorough thyroid test, by that i mean TSH, T3, T4 and Thryoid Antibodies?

The problem is that majority of doctors only test TSH and not the rest. Then you get doctors who might test the rest, but even if you are found to have high thyroid antibodies, yet your other things aren't "way out of range", they will refuse to medicate you and all the while you will continue to have symptoms and the major one is hair loss. I had this happen to me for 8 years until i finally found a doctor who knew his stuff.

I've also heard from people over on the thyroid board that doctors have said if your TSH moves up and down constantly you will keep shedding hair until the TSH stabilises. My TSH was alway going up and down and my T4 and T3 were low, but not big time low, yet they still affected my overall health.

Thyroid people also have low vitamin D and low ferretin in common. I had all of this as well as very low iodine. Once i began supplemenint all these things (under doctor's supervision) and my thyroid received treatment, i've noticed i still shed hair, but at what i would consider a 'normal' rate. I'm still monitoring it as i'm scared i'll go backwards and lose fistfulls of hair daily, but so far so good.

Over on the hair section of the healthboard there are a lot of people who feel their connection to hair loss has been due to going on/off birthcontrol pills. It only takes a minor hormonal disturbance to affect your hair growth cycle. It's a good idea to have testing done to see where your estrogen, progesterone and testosterone are at, but then again, if you have one of those doctors who simply says "all is fine you are within range", that's not going to help. It's so beneficial to have a doctor who understands "ranges" and know where you are supposed to be at for iron, thyroid, hormones and anything else you have been tested for.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #32
    webdiva
    Inactive
    (female)

webdiva HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by littleopihi View Post
    hey you guys!! sorry i've been MIA just a little busy and trying NOT to think of my dumb hair already! >( so after 4 scalp biopsies (and no one with hair loss in my whole family including my grandparents) it's NOT female pattern loss... BUT my ferritin was getting lower and lower along with my vitamin D which was 0... so i have to now take iron and D... but i wanted to THANK YOU SO SO MUCH! because in 2 months my ferritin went from 40 to 90! yellow dock was AWESOME with my iron supplement. thank you thank you thank you! i'm super stoked about this . i do see little hairs growing but it's still falling out like crazy. i now realize that i have chronic telogen effluvium based on the scalp biopsies and my five billion blood tests including double stranded DNA tests and normal digestive enzymes. so i got off the pill because that was the only possibly problem... hopefully in a while my body will correct itself in time. for now i'll just keep taking the stuff i need and quit worrying about it because it only causes me more stress. but thank you guys so so much... thanks to you i figured out somethings that really helped and had great support. you guys are the best!
    Yay! I am so happy for you in that you have some answers now! Your attitude sounds so positive and hopeful. I hope that things continue to improve with you. Glad the yellow dock worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #33
    lori120
    (female)

lori120 HB User

Need help! My ferriton went from 16-13-11. Low! My Vit.D at the first of the month was 10.4 and then went down to 8.5. I'm currently taking 50,000 iu Vit.D pill once a week. Just took a blood test and my D is up to 16. But I just took two blood tests (CBC). First one came out normal and the second one, just a couple days later showed low RBC and HCT. Postassium was the lowest number on the norm. Wondering what's going on? I would like to take another CBC now but the docs won't give it. They say it's too soon and my reply to them is that my blood counts went down in a couple days. Wondering what it is now?? Also, I probably have rheumatoid arthritis and read that there are a couple different types of anemia. One from the liver which you can take iron to correct the problem and another from the bone marrow than can't be corrected by iron supplements.

Does anyone know something about this? Can't seem to get anything out of my doctors.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:12 PM   #34
    littleopihi
    (female)

littleopihi HB User

lori... i'm def NOT a doctor but i work in the medical field... and also within the last 2 years i've had a million blood tests. the one thing i've figured out is that everytime i have numerous blood tests in a short amount of time things like RBC, HCT and ferritin go way down... like drop by HALF sometimes!!!! it's enough to make anyone that doesn't put it together worry terribly. in august i had a blood test that showed my ferritin had dropped to 40 (which in the end of june was 88)... and i also had another set of blood tests in july as well. i only put it together over time and in october when they had to recheck my vit D (as i was also taking 50,000 IU of it like you) i had them recheck my ferritin. i took iron only during my period and yellow dock as suggested by webdiva. and in october it was 90! =) so... perhaps the reason why they won't run more tests is probably because theoretically your counts will go down as you are "losing blood" with more and more blood tests... just a thought. hang in there!!!

Old 11-24-2008, 10:16 PM   #35
    littleopihi
    (female)

littleopihi HB User

audrey--i know... =( stress is the WORST! i'm so sorry to hear about your slide backward... i can whole heartedly relate. i'm trying my best to breathe and exercise and walk and read... stuff to ease my day to day tension and stress. it's hard when you can't really get rid of people or issues that create that drama =(... but i'm trying to hang in there too! wishing you good thoughts...

Last edited by littleopihi; 11-24-2008 at 10:17 PM. Reason: add stuff

Old 11-24-2008, 10:19 PM   #36
    littleopihi
    (female)

littleopihi HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by webdiva View Post
    Yay! I am so happy for you in that you have some answers now! Your attitude sounds so positive and hopeful. I hope that things continue to improve with you. Glad the yellow dock worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i wouldn't be able to be so hopeful without you guys and your help and encouragment... thank YOU!

Old 11-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #37
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

littleopihi - apparently it's bad when the stress carries over to meal times. Meal times are supposed to be calm and relaxed. My problem was that i was eating lunch in a big rush and had a million things on my mind due to buying my new place. When things ended up going from bad to worse my stress would carry over to dinner time as i'd be eating but would feel this tight not in my stomach. This all led to the inability to digest food properly.

I know once i calm down things will get back to normal and my levels will rise again. At least i now have proof of how bad stress is for me. I was taking Ferro-grad C as my iron supplement and it's slow release. I was taking it just before a meal or even after a meal and my ferretin went from 61 to 78. In the next period, when it dropped severly, i was trying to take the iron supplement at least half and hour before my lunch on an empty stomach and it still dropped. I find it interesting to experiment and see whether taking my supplements in another way ends up being a positive or a negetive thing.

My mother keeps telling me "no wonder your ferretin isn't going up when you keep having 6 weekly blood test". I have to have 6 weekly tests due to my thyroid, so i have no choice in the matter.

During my house move i did most of the moving myself, apart from the heavy items which the removalist did. I was running up and down 3 flights of stairs, carrying more than i ought to carry. I felt such physical exaustion at the end of days of this to the point i didn't know if i'd colapse or vomit!! I've now been told that over exerting myself to this point wouldn't have helped my iron any either. The problem is that there are way too many things to look out for, do's and don'ts, when you suffer from anemia or hard to raise ferretin levels.

Closed Thread