It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Is it good to take mega doses of Vit. D like 50,000IU

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-04-2008, 06:43 AM   #1
    Joanne 1300
    (female)

Joanne 1300 HB User
    Is it good to take mega doses of Vit. D like 50,000IU

Is it good to take mega doses of Vit. D like 50,000IU

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
    CrohnieToo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CrohnieToo HB User
    Re: Is it good to take mega doses of Vit. D like 50,000IU

Under doctor supervision, quite possibly, yes.

My Endocrinologist put me on 100,000 weekly and kept me on that does better than 2 years, at which time my dosage was reduced to 50,000 IU weekly which I've been on about a year now. My dosage was just reduced to 50,000 every 2 weeks - yeah right!! WHO is going to remember to take a medication ONCE every TWO weeks?? I'm exploring what it will cost for 25,000 weekly thru a compounding pharmacy.

I've had a blood draw every 3 months all this while to monitor my levels and progress.

W/o doctor supervision and regular blood draws - no. It can be toxic at those doses.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:24 AM   #3
    NY 1009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

I was given a prescription for mine and I was only to take one pill ONCE a week till they were gone and then I was to purchase the over the counter ones in less milligrams.
    I agree with chronietoo that you should be very careful and only a dr.'s supervision if you're taking a high dosage of D. because it can be very toxic to the body if taking in high quanties if not needed.

Do you have a vitamin D deficiency or something?

I did, and that's why I was told to take it. My level was at 19 when I was diagnosed. I was wondering why I was getting so sick and in such pain all through out my joints and body. Not even my family dr. thought of testing my level. It was my rheumytologist that thought of testing it after he found out i have fibromyalgia and the medicine wasnt' helping me after a month.

I was so greatful he found it. this way I got treated and I can now at least turn my neck while driving without me hitting the roof of my car in pain.
    I also feel that because my vit. D level was so low for so many years that it's the cause of me getting osteoporosis and osteoarthritis in my spine, hips and wrists and hands and feet. I am literally falling apart. All because i was vit. D deficient. so many people are being diagnosed with it and don't even know why they're in pain because of it.

PLUS by doing research, I found out there are two different types of vitamin D on the market and only the vitamin D3 works best for a vitamin D deficiency.

sincerely,

Linda

Old 11-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
    dlvs
    (female)

dlvs HB User

I went to my allergist last week, he told me to take Vitiamin D3, pill form, over Vitiamin D = which is Vitamin D2. I have been diagnosed with severe osteoporosis and fibromyalgia. This doctor has been around a long time, well respected and a great doctor, all he did was listen to my aches and complaints. He does not believe I have an allergy problem - but did the tests anyway to rule out allergies.

I just did not know there was a difference - I've been reading all the research I can on Vitiamin D. I guess we all can learn something new in the most strangest places.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-30-2008 at 03:57 PM. Reason: please do not copy from websites, as per the posting policy

Old 12-05-2008, 08:18 AM   #5
    NY 1009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

My rheumitologist didn't even know there was a difference between the two vitamin D's.
    I told her from the research I found on line and she was surprised to hear this.
    I don't know if she even really cares, but she should!

I'm anxiously awaiting to get my follow up blood test to see if the D3 has improved my deficiency.

the thing is, after I took the RX form of D, my level did rise up, but not to the extent she expected.
    I asked her what could be the cause of my body not being able to hold onto the D? she didn't answer my question but told me to continue to take vitamin D, but the over the counter D and that she'll test my blood again in about 3 months. which is coming up soon.

If I hadn't performed my own research on vitamin D, I would never had known either that there's a significant difference between the two.

It was enjoyable sharing this subject with you.

Linda

Closed Thread