It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board

• Test results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-29-2008, 07:34 AM   #16
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Test results

hey bill? you know we are all here for you to try and answer your questions and just as a support system,BUT,the only real way you are finally going to truely KNOW what is actually going on is to just see your doc. you have gotten alot of very very good and useful info here(i have too) but realistically,all we are doing is just guessing at things and thats not good for you,ya know? i would go thru these posts,and look for all the right stuff to ask your doc about and just do it hon. we can only do so much here for you. i KNOW you are scared,believe me,every single time i have had my labs drawn since i found out in 99 that i even had this insane kidney and liver disease, its like i am holding my breath til those results come back. so far,things have been within the norms,but i KNOW,one of these times,probably very soon since my sisters kidney labs just went out of range for the very fisrt time a couple of weeks ago,one of those sheets is going to be giving me bad crap that i don;t want to know about since it is bringing me much closer to kidney failure,dialysis and transplant. that is my biggest fear,but i have this stuff done so when it does happen,we can start changing a few things. i don;t 'want' to know either,believe me, but i go through this every six months and its just what i have to do for MY best interest,and you need to do this too hon,really. just make that appt with your doc and get some of this stuff done that simply needs doing.

there are sooo many different reasons or possibilities for some of the things you are feeling. not everything is going to be bad and things will also get ruled out too,but you simply cannot do this without just making up your mind to see your doc and have that chat about your bigger concerns and get this ball rolling. like i told you before,all we are doing here is merely guessing about possible issues that can bring on some of the symptoms you have,just guessing. you need facts and reassurances too. this can only come from your doc bill. once you can get some real solid facts,your mind wont go to all those scarey places it is now,ya know what i mean? just gather up the info,ad see your doc bill. this is where the guesses stop and reality and info gets reveiled. it may not even be close to as bad as you think or time could play a big part in how well things will go for you too. you just don;t want to waste anymore time getting more afraid and not knowing what you can do about what you are feeling. you need facts and a treatment plan.

just pick a day and call your docs office to make that appt and get some of this stuff found out or ruled out. 'something" simply is not right here and it needs to be found out at this point. like i said,it may not be as bad as you think either bill. you just need solid facts at this point hon. i am not going to bail on you,so don;t even go there,just am encouraging you here to just make that decision and see your doc,its way over due bill. we will still be here for you but at least we will have something more solid to go by. please just do this one thing for yourself bill and get it done. and by all means,keep us posted on what you find out. we will be here for you no matter what,K? you DO have support here,always. marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2008, 11:23 PM   #17
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scout316 View Post
    Bill

Yes we're here for you......really concerned about you....well the B12 won't hurt you,but Rainbows End said it might make you feel a little worse...like for about 3 weeks.

I noticed after I get my B12 shot I feel a little achey for about 3 days...then I feel great for about 10 days or so(I think I need more B12).

The best B12 is the Methylcobalamin made by Jarrows...it comes in 1,000 and 5,000 mcgs.......your body doesn't have to convert it like the cyanocabalamin.Do you have a whole food stores by you?They have it there plus they have people that know all about vitamins working there that can really help you with any concerns about your health and what vitamins to take.
    Yes, we do have a Whole Foods store right nearby. That was where I got the "NOW B12 sublingual", little did I know at that time the liquid subs are crap, and anything with cyano is crap, so the one I got is certainly not going to be effective. I didn't know the Jarrows sublingual tablets were available there.

I will drop back in there tomorrow and hopefully they have it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scout316
    Really Bill I know how you feel...low B12 can makeyou feel like you're going crazy...especially with the confusion....I've had all those strange symptoms too with not being able to talk right.....after all low B12 presents with so many neurological symptoms so it's no wonder you feel so bad.....I know very well how bad it can and does get.

Try to relax....but if it get's too much for you then you need to see a dr......the longer you wait Bill the worse it might get.I told you your one test(MCH)is showing you are probably B12 deficient....this is a strong indicator.

You don't have any jaundice do you?(that would indicate hepatitis).Do you look pale like you're anemic?Do you get tightness in your legs?
    No jaundice thank God, never had that one, and I do check the lower part of my eyes often. The paleness is an interesting question: I *have* noticed, when I feel like utter crap that I tend to look more pale than usual. I also have been getting something that sounds a lot like orthostatic hypotension for about a year--getting up from sitting for a while I get fuzziness in my vision and feel like I could pass out, I also get red vision when getting up sometimes. I won't bore you with more details tho..

Don't know about the tightness, but I've said before that something is not right about my standing posture/gait.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scout316
    I know you're wimpish,but I am too(very much!!!!),but it's because you're not feeling well that is making you feel more scared....I was the Same way...Really.

I'm here for ya Bill.......you can do a few things to help your body/mind relax.Take a small hand towel and soak part of it in really hot water and put in behind your neck..it feels good and the heat will loosen your tense muscles.Eat cereal that has a Lot of vitamins in it...like total,special k,etc.Stay clear of any situations that might cause you stress....and try to eat red meat as much as possible(for the iron).

Sorry you're holiday was not pleasant for you.You'll get better...you just need some encouragement...and it will get better for you...you'll see a dr. when you're ready.

Scout
    This place has been very helpful.

And I hate to ask too many questions but I did want to ask about high doses of B-vitamins and SSRIs. Some sources I've found said that B-vits with antidepressants might not be a good idea, because apparently both regimens have a similar function, but work in opposite ways. As in SSRIs calm the CNS while B-vits stimulate it. In your opinion, anything to this? Not that I think there is, tho.. it doesn't sound like an interaction per se.

Methylcobalamin is a cofactor of methionine, and I know that sAME (s-adenosyl methionine) is actually contraindicated if you take SSRIs. Just wondering...

Last edited by Benit; 11-29-2008 at 11:24 PM.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:33 PM   #18
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
    just pick a day and call your docs office to make that appt and get some of this stuff found out or ruled out. 'something" simply is not right here and it needs to be found out at this point. like i said,it may not be as bad as you think either bill. you just need solid facts at this point hon. i am not going to bail on you,so don;t even go there,just am encouraging you here to just make that decision and see your doc,its way over due bill. we will still be here for you but at least we will have something more solid to go by. please just do this one thing for yourself bill and get it done. and by all means,keep us posted on what you find out. we will be here for you no matter what,K? you DO have support here,always. marcia
    I know this has to be done. It seems like a urinaylsis might be recommended, I have seen the result sheet for those, as a family member with health issues got it done recently. There's one test that says "Protein" and there's only two answers, yes or no. I am almost sure mine is going to be a "yes." That's what's really scaring me into putting this off. But you don't need to remind me again, I know I still have to go to the doc.

I do feel quite like an idiot for needing so many reminders from you folks. I'm always the abnormal one on every forum, eh?

Old 11-30-2008, 01:55 AM   #19
    robinegg
    (female)

robinegg HB Userrobinegg HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bill Zenith View Post
    I know this has to be done. It seems like a urinaylsis might be recommended, I have seen the result sheet for those, as a family member with health issues got it done recently. There's one test that says "Protein" and there's only two answers, yes or no. I am almost sure mine is going to be a "yes." That's what's really scaring me into putting this off. But you don't need to remind me again, I know I still have to go to the doc.

I do feel quite like an idiot for needing so many reminders from you folks. I'm always the abnormal one on every forum, eh?
    Dear Bill
    I dont think any one here thinks you are abnormal but no one wants to see you severly ill either.....
    Dont feel like an idiot but we are just saying it like it is and you understand that anyway....I know you are no idiot I have read some of your posts you soulnd like a very intelligent person......maybe a litlle scared but that is normal Bill..........When I was first ill I woulld read these boards never posted and it would just freak me out I thought I was dying on pancreatic cancer and at the end of the day I wasnt......Even my chiropractor who is rather gifted said to me look something is really going on here I can feel yur intestines are very inflammed you need more tests I being in a high state of anxiety at that point due to my B12 thing got really freaked out and saw a doctor that afternoon a new one as my normal Gp was away thank goodness to because this doctor found my cause and my old doctor when I approached her said she would not have tested it beacuase it was normal 9 months ago blah it was way to low then........So if it wasnt for my anxiety I wouldnt have reacted the way I did which saved my life I believe......I later thanked my chiro who said she was sorry but needed to do that to get further testing as I was just going along with my doctor and something was a miss......
    have faith you will ok and its better to learn now and get the treatment you need....

You understand that

Good luck Bill

Old 11-30-2008, 07:38 PM   #20
    scout316
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

scout316 HB Userscout316 HB User

hello Bill

hope you had a better day today.well I like reading your posts...I just wish I could offer you more help.

hey having protein in your urine...I know all about that...I had a Lot(30+) in my urine when I was B12 deficient....it's a Fact that when your body is low in vitamins protein will leak out of your blood vessels and cause fluid retention.maybe that's your only health problem>low B12<...and that's not so bad Bill......I know it can be very frightening to wonder if you have a serious medical issue,but it could be just something simple that can be treated...like low B12..if it is then you'll get B12 injections and you will get better!!!!

Bill just start this process slowy.Just call a dr. or clinic and tell them you want a B12 level test and urinalysis,because of your symptoms.Drs. will not give you a hard time about it if you tell them a friend who's a nurse suggsted that you might have low B12 due to your symptoms.

You can do it Bill...whatever you decide that's okay...you know we'll all be here for you no matter what happens.

Make sure you ask for help in the vitamin section and tell them what you're taking(anti-depressant)...they shouldknow if it's dangerous to combine that with the methylcobalamin.

Well let me tell you...I don't get any CNS stimulating effect from my B12 injections...I only feel less nervous,because B12 makes the myelin that covers your nerves..it's called the myelin sheath and the B12 will correct your anxiety...better than the ant--depressants that just mask the problem.Not having adequate B12 will reak havoc on your CNS...and that may be why you're having anxiety.....I know...I've been there...and it's a nightmare to say the least.

Your bowel problems,feeling like you can't feel the ground with your feet,possible fluid retention & dehydration,tight jaw,vision problems,confusion,stomach problems,weakness when holding small objects,stress>these are all symptoms of possible B12 deficiency<

So "if" you see a dr. tell the dr. about these symptoms.I think you'll feel a lot better just "knowing" there is a reason for your symptoms.I hope it is low B12....seems very like it to me!

Hang in there Bill....we all look forward to hearing from you...you're our buddy!

Also it would take less time in the long run if you could ask for that MMA test with the B12 level...or like Rainbows End suggested the "uMMA" which they test from your urine...that way you don't have to go back to the dr, and ask for it if your B12 level is "low normal".....

later~Scout

Old 12-02-2008, 01:00 AM   #21
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User

Hmm, I am not sure about getting the tests for B12 seeing as I have restarted supplementation of high amounts? Wouldn't that skew the results and upon stopping, wouldn't it take some time for the previous "low" level to come back?

I couldn't make it out to the store to get the Jarrows today, it's a complicated situation with someone else having to use my car for a while.. this also makes it hard for me to get a doc's appt.. but I'm confident I'll be able to make the trip to Whole Foods tomorrow.

I remain skeptical as to the idea that B12 is behind many of my health problems, as much as I'd like it to be true. While at first the NOW liquid B12 caused noticeable worsening of symptoms (this is said to be an indicator of deficiency), I've been using the full recommended dose again the past 4 days--and the last couple days this dose seems to alternately make me energetic and tired, with some other strange sensations, but nothing that says to me that B12 deficit is the culprit. In other words, my response has become unremarkable.

Hmm, one odd thing that has been happening the past couple days more than usual (I don't think this is connected to B12 supps at all as I have had this for a while): been getting episodes of full body sweating (except for my face) when I wake up from sleep, and what's more, there's a definite scent to it, like a sweet/fragrant odor. I have been getting these "scented sweats during sleep" for a year or more, though, it's not new, it's just that I've had about 4 episodes of it in the last 2 days, more than usual. any guesses as to what this might indicate?

Last edited by Benit; 12-02-2008 at 01:02 AM.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:56 AM   #22
    robinegg
    (female)

Hi Bill

I am sorry I have to comment on a statement you made That worsening of symptoms is an indication of deficiency[/B]

This is not always true as it doesnt happen to everyone who has a deficiency

I just wanted to clarify for future reviewers just in case they take the B12 and they dont get worsening of symptoms and think that is not the problem when it actually is....Hope you understand

I certainly did get a worsening for about 3 weeks it was tough it also appears that this happens withthe methylcobalomin...My doc says he thinks this is because it scavengers toxins like nitric oxide from the body and so you kind of go into detox for a bit.....Very interesting apparently this is why it is used in CFS in very high doses...............It appears to that CFS is a symptoms of B12 deficiency.........

I think Bill you would be better on the subs than the liquid I cant imagine the liquid staying there long enough to be absorbed really well via the mouth.were as the subs you can dissolve them slowly allowing the absorbtion to be slower and more intense so to speak...........

I think I would have my sugar levels tested if I were you if you are having sweet smelling sweat I think I recall someone telling me about that once......

Take care Bill

Old 12-02-2008, 10:05 PM   #23
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rainbows End View Post
    Hi Bill

I am sorry I have to comment on a statement you made That worsening of symptoms is an indication of deficiency[/B]
    I apologize, I didn't seem to express myself correctly. I know that many, if not most, people with B12 deficiency don't get the worsening of symptoms with initial treatment. Personally, at first I noticed a worsening. But I abandoned the liquid B12 for a few weeks because I just didn't want to take something that actually made me feel worse.

Anyway I started it up again 5 days ago, and my response hasn't really been negative, nor has it been exactly positive. So it makes it kinda hard to tell if B12 deficit really is my problem. Maybe it's just that my body has become acclimated to the relatively weak B12 supplement I'm using, so my response has become muted. I'll have to graduate to the higher-grade stuff, I'm probably taking a zero-star (out of 5) supplement right now.

Hmm, a curious thing, a medical textbook I was reading today said that Red Blood Cell count should be low in b12 deficiency. My test results are the first post in this thread and that checked out perfectly fine...?

Old 12-03-2008, 01:31 AM   #24
    robinegg
    (female)

Quote:
    I apologize, I didn't seem to express myself correctly. I know that many, if not most, people with B12 deficiency don't get the worsening of symptoms with initial treatment. Personally, at first I noticed a worsening. But I abandoned the liquid B12 for a few weeks because I just didn't want to take something that actually made me feel worse.

Anyway I started it up again 5 days ago, and my response hasn't really been negative, nor has it been exactly positive. So it makes it kinda hard to tell if B12 deficit really is my problem. Maybe it's just that my body has become acclimated to the relatively weak B12 supplement I'm using, so my response has become muted. I'll have to graduate to the higher-grade stuff, I'm probably taking a zero-star (out of 5) supplement right now.

Hmm, a curious thing, a medical textbook I was reading today said that Red Blood Cell count should be low in b12 deficiency. My test results are the first post in this thread and that checked out perfectly fine...?
    Hi Bill
    i would assume they woulde be referring to PA B12 deficiency anemia re Red cell.....

Cheers
    Rainbows

Old 12-04-2008, 12:54 AM   #25
    Benit
    Veteran
    (male)

Benit HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rainbows End View Post
    Hi Bill
    i would assume they woulde be referring to PA B12 deficiency anemia re Red cell.....

Cheers
    Rainbows
    I finally got the Jarrows B12. The methylB12 5000mcg was 30 bucks, so I settled for 1000mcg, 100 lozenges. The plan was to try 3 of them by letting them dissolve slowly, but I wanted to see what would happen if I went "all out" so to speak, so I took 5 over a period of 60 minutes.

I noticed walking was slightly more difficult.. and a lot of reduced skin sensation (when I put my hands on my arm, it felt like it wasn't my arm that I was touching).. but the one thing that really stood out was I got incredibly tired, just a near-constant urge to sleep, and this effect lasted for hours. I never noticed this effect from the NOW liquid sub.

And yet I can't say if it was the methyl b12 that was doing all this, because I've been having a heck of a lot of trouble with my symptoms lately, anyway. Confusion, pallor (this one is new--came up only in the last 2 days), unusual sweating... seem to be there with or without B12 supplementation.. now the case becomes very complex and the interplay between my condition and B12 becomes blurred.

As far as good effects go, the only one I can't put down to placebo is occasional bouts of "tranquility", but I was so tired that any benefit this might have had was wasted. Besides that, I am not sure this stuff did anything for my symptoms, not beyond reasonable doubt anyway.

Not sure if I should be intrigued, or what I should think about this...

Old 12-04-2008, 05:02 AM   #26
    robinegg
    (female)

Quote:
    I finally got the Jarrows B12. The methylB12 5000mcg was 30 bucks, so I settled for 1000mcg, 100 lozenges. The plan was to try 3 of them by letting them dissolve slowly, but I wanted to see what would happen if I went "all out" so to speak, so I took 5 over a period of 60 minutes.

I noticed walking was slightly more difficult.. and a lot of reduced skin sensation (when I put my hands on my arm, it felt like it wasn't my arm that I was touching).. but the one thing that really stood out was I got incredibly tired, just a near-constant urge to sleep, and this effect lasted for hours. I never noticed this effect from the NOW liquid sub.

And yet I can't say if it was the methyl b12 that was doing all this, because I've been having a heck of a lot of trouble with my symptoms lately, anyway. Confusion, pallor (this one is new--came up only in the last 2 days), unusual sweating... seem to be there with or without B12 supplementation.. now the case becomes very complex and the interplay between my condition and B12 becomes blurred.

As far as good effects go, the only one I can't put down to placebo is occasional bouts of "tranquility", but I was so tired that any benefit this might have had was wasted. Besides that, I am not sure this stuff did anything for my symptoms, not beyond reasonable doubt anyway.

Not sure if I should be intrigued, or what I should think about this...
    Bill
    You will not get healing that quick no way it may take some time before you noyice that It took a long time to get there its going to take more than one day for it to go.....
    I notice when I have my B12 I get a fery relaxed feeling I ddi read some where it has like an anelgeiscic effect on some........

With all this sweating I would be seeing to that asap.......It is always possible to have more than just one thing going on at once...It is important not to put iy all in the one box so to speak......Hang in there

Old 12-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #27
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

Have you had an MRI and EMG to rule out nuero issues? I assume you have?

Closed Thread