It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Vitamin B12 Shot Will it help Neuropathy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-01-2008, 07:17 AM   #1
    Linjean59
    (female)

Linjean59 HB User
    Lightbulb Vitamin B12 Shot Will it help Neuropathy?

I was having the painful nerve conduction test in the Doctors office a few weeks ago and the (Technician ?) person giving the test metioned that sometimes a shot of vitamin B12 helps. Has anyone had this shot and it helped their Neuthropy?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
    Aussie100
    Veteran
    (male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User
    Re: Vitamin B12 Shot Will it help Neuthropy ?

B12 deficiency can certainly cause peripheral & central nervous conditions, if the defiency is the root cause of your nerve damage then yes it can, but it can take many shots to build up a good storage of it again, depending on the amount of damage to the nerves the repairing time can vary greatly, peripheral nerves have the ability to regenerate once whatever is assaulting them ceases, they repair very slowly though.

Aussie

Old 11-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
    Linjean59
    (female)

Linjean59 HB User

Thanks,your info helps!

Old 11-30-2008, 04:48 PM   #4
    Dancinboots
    Veteran
    (female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User

How long do you think it takes for nerves to regenerate?

Old 11-30-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
    robinegg
    (female)

robinegg HB Userrobinegg HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dancinboots View Post
    How long do you think it takes for nerves to regenerate?
    Hi There
    It can take many months to a few years depending on for example the cause of the deficiency it doesnt just appear it has a root cause..

Secondly it appear it has alot to do with the type of b12 you are having and how often do you know?

It seems best to saturate the system on a consistent bases the thing is most doctors treat using the protocol for PA and it appears not to have a great effect on the neuro damage.......

I have used Hydroxocobalamin it did nothing for my symptoms apart from improve the serum levels.......But i really wanted Methylcobalamin having heard great things about it...I found a doctor who agreed and it treating me with Methylcobalamin 10,000mcg 3 times a week with folate and I have to have vit D as I am def in that too the reason I have celiac....

I had severe damage and 4 months later I am left with no symptoms what so ever........

Good luck oh how long have you been having the injections for.....

Old 12-01-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
    Linjean59
    (female)

Linjean59 HB User

My Neurologist has never done any blood work at all. I will be seeing him (neurologist)this week and talk to him about the B12 and this Methlcobalamin. I may just wait and talk to my family doctor the end of this month about it also. I took the conduction test in October and I couldn't believe I haven't had any change in seven years. My pain has increased where I am taken Gabapentin 800mg 4Xday and also Ultram ER 100.

I'm not taken any injections. Thanks for your comments. I'm just clueless about this subject......Trying to get some relief.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:44 PM   #7
    Aussie100
    Veteran
    (male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Linjean59 View Post
    My Neurologist has never done any blood work at all. I will be seeing him (neurologist)this week and talk to him about the B12 and this Methlcobalamin. I may just wait and talk to my family doctor the end of this month about it also. I took the conduction test in October and I couldn't believe I haven't had any change in seven years. My pain has increased where I am taken Gabapentin 800mg 4Xday and also Ultram ER 100.

I'm not taken any injections. Thanks for your comments. I'm just clueless about this subject......Trying to get some relief.
    Hi Linjean59, after reading that this neuro has not done any blood tests at all for you, then this neuro your seeing must be really useless, even GP's when going through med school are taught the very basic blood tests for suspected PN.

I would really consider seeking another neuro that does specialize in neuropathy as many do not, a proper PN neuro will do lots of blood tests and try their hardest to eliminate all known possabilities & even go over your medical history as even some meds can cause nerve damage or deplete essential vitamins like B12, of course there is always a chance a cause can't be found [ idiopathic] but i wouldn't leave any stone unturned looking for answers.

Feeling really tired all the time, even though there is plenty of sleep can be a sign of a b12 deficiency, even taken strong statin drugs can cause nerve damage , but don't expect all doc's to agree with that, there are so many reasons for nerve damage its mind boggling, but its unbelievable that well known causes are ignored by lots of medical proffesionals.

best of luck to you
    Aussie

Old 12-02-2008, 12:58 PM   #8
    Linjean59
    (female)

Linjean59 HB User

Thanks, Aussie.....I believe you are more helpful than my doctor(neurologist). I think he is busy to get to the next patient. Lin

Old 12-02-2008, 01:01 PM   #9
    Linjean59
    (female)

Linjean59 HB User

You are asking the wrong person...Clueless!!

Old 12-04-2008, 10:04 AM   #10
    anwis67
    (female)

anwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB User
    Re: Vitamin B12 Shot Will it help Neuropathy?

I was dx with SFN in Dec. of 2007. I have been taking b12 shots for about 3 months. I think that it has helped my energy level. I take 1 per month. Don't know for sure if it has helped the pain b/c I still remain on lyrica, nortriptyline, and trileptal for the neuropathy. However, I was pleased about the increased energy level.

Closed Thread