It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Fatigue Message Board

• In tremendous shape, yet fatigue is ruining my education

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2008, 01:43 PM   #1
    jonathon003
    (male)

jonathon003 HB User
    In tremendous shape, yet fatigue is ruining my education

23 yo male...in amazing shape as I workout often and have been a competitive athlete all my life. yet my fatigue has plagued me as far back as I can remember, well high school anyway). my blood tests always come up great too.

Even during sports, I used to remember playing hockey and feeling like I needed to dose off. there would be an intermission between the 2nd and 3rd period, and I remember being COMPLETELY zoned out, and wanting to nap, etc. Everyday I'd be late for school b/c I found it extremely hard to wake up in the morning. During classes in highschool I wouldnt even be there mentally. Yet I still managed to get good marks, as I worked hard in the little hours I found energy in the day. Well unfortunately now it's just the same in University. I have MAYBE 2 or 3 hours in a day when I don't feel like sh-t, ie. sleepy. I get great sleep most of the time, but do not have a constant schedule like most ppl. but I used to and that didn't stop the fatigue.

I find it such a chore just to use my mind and think, and it's completely ruining my life. I eat as healthy as a 23 yr old would, and NEVER skip a meal..ever. Just last night I went to bed at midnight, slept like a baby (dreams and everything) till 9:30. woke up but was still tired, so went back to bed at 10. slept until 12:30pm. went and had some food. tried to get at my books, but was feeling too tired so I lied down for a while.

this is an everyday thing. i just NEVER have energy and it affects EVERYTHING. my doctor never takes it serious and I always feel like no one understands. tey think i'm lazy, yet I'm in amazing shape and work my *ss off in the gym/treadmill. the only difference is reading is SOOO much harder to do than physical labor for me when i'm sleepy. cuz thers no doubt even at the gym i'm zoned out, but i don't really have to think much.

in anyone could help i'd love it. aside from this big problem, i AM pretty depressed right now, and suffer from social anxiety, yet the depression wasn't around in high school, but the anxiety was. so no idea if the 2 are related, but if i'm gonna be sometihng in my life I need a remedy. . Also could be important to note that my memory is brutal, and cognitively I feel messed up. Find it hard to articulate myself, and have always considered myself slow (not dumb ie used to excel in math and school in general, just very slow). Also not an auditory learner as it's too much info to grasp all at once. Making sense of auditory directions is rough.

Last edited by jonathon003; 11-17-2008 at 01:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2008, 11:05 PM   #2
    DelawareGirl
    (female)

DelawareGirl HB User
    Re: In tremendous shape, yet fatigue is ruining my education

First of all what you are experiencing is very normal with someone who has chronic fatigue. Not being able to think, get easily confused, or to forget what you are doing is called brain fog and is very common. My son has had it for about 2 years now. Have you checked out the CFS website? It has some very good resources and information. Also, Dr. Peter Rowe at John's Hopkins is an excellent resource. I am not sure where you are living in Canada but Dr. David Bell is in Upstate New York about an hour from Niagara Falls. Both anxiety and depression are also part of the illness. Have you ever been diagnosed with orthostatic intolerance? There are some things that can be done to help you. Is it possible to find a CFS doctor close to where you live? Can you change doctor's? If yes, I would take the time and effort to find one that deals with CFS.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:19 AM   #3
    DaisyChains
    (female)

DaisyChains HB User

I don't know what I can say to help you, but when I read your post I found some similarities between us. Only, I'm alot older and I'm a girl. But I have always had to fight social anxiety, panic attacks and depression. but I think the depression came as a result of being so sleepy.

I hate being thought of lazy, so I either try to overcompensate, or avoid people when I feel so tired. At the gym, when I was able to go, i did my walk or weights with my eyes closed and just tried my best to let my brain zone out, and my body go into automatic. But working out with your eyes closed is not a good idea, huh?

I know what you mean about sleeping all night only to need to go back to bed a few hours later. Before I got put on Adderall (which I'm not advocating, but I would have never made it through school without it) I could sleep 16 hours easy. And I often did, I would work my usual shift and spend the rest of my asleep. It's all I could do.

About 3 in the afternoon, I have ALWAYS been overwhelmed with the NEED to lay down and try to sleep or at least rest. Very inconvenient.

Late alot, missed alot of school and work all my life. Waking up is like torture. BUT, my grades came easy to me.

There have been lots of times in my life when I did everything perfect, eating right, exercising right, good sleep habits, but to no avail.
    At 36 years old, I think I have tried it all, including Buddhism, fad diets, and almost "giving up".

Have you been to a sleep study? It might not tell you what is wrong, but it might tell you what is NOT wrong, like sleep apnea or narcolepsy. After I did a sleep lab a year ago, I was put on the Adderall (which by the way, isn't it banned in Canada?) I think the sleep study showed my doctor I was serious.

Life has been easier (with the stimulant) in that, it does help me get things done in the day, but I have to take it about an hour before i try to start waking up. And I know I can't take it forever, so what is the next step, right? I developed a tolerance to it quickly so I often have to go without it for days so that I don't max out on a dose.

If your doctor isnt taking you seriously, you aren't alone for sure. Have you done a web search for docs in the area that treat sleep disorders? I think it might be a starting point. I've spent about 20 years wondering why in the hell I'm so sleepy.

I hope you never get to that point, I hope you don't let it get to that point. If you can't find a CFS doc there, try the sleep disorder lab. It's a good place to start to find some help.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:03 PM   #4
    jonathon003
    (male)

jonathon003 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DelawareGirl View Post
    First of all what you are experiencing is very normal with someone who has chronic fatigue. Not being able to think, get easily confused, or to forget what you are doing is called brain fog and is very common. My son has had it for about 2 years now. Have you checked out the CFS website? It has some very good resources and information. Also, Dr. Peter Rowe at John's Hopkins is an excellent resource. I am not sure where you are living in Canada but Dr. David Bell is in Upstate New York about an hour from Niagara Falls. Both anxiety and depression are also part of the illness. Have you ever been diagnosed with orthostatic intolerance? There are some things that can be done to help you. Is it possible to find a CFS doctor close to where you live? Can you change doctor's? If yes, I would take the time and effort to find one that deals with CFS.
    Thanks for the advice. If I get some time and life slows down a little for me I might actually try to book an appointment with that Dr. in upstate NY. It sucks having the feeling that no one can relate or help you. My parents are driving me nuts as they totally don't take it seriously as they're always making subtle comments when I tell them about it like "maybe it's b/c you're in your room right now and need to do physical work...maybe it's cuz you need more sleep...maybe you're not eating well...blah blah blah". It just get's really frustrating; I snapped on my mom today b/c it just feels like they don't listen. It doesn't matter WHAT conditions are present, whether I had great sleep, great nutrition, a regular schedule, etc etc., I've done them all....and still feel overwhelmingly tired. But you're right I need to seek more specific help on my condition. I'm sorry for your son, it's a horrible problem. What's especially hard about it is it just sounds like an excuse or something. Anyway all the best to you and your son, thanks again for the help.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
    jonathon003
    (male)

jonathon003 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaisyChains View Post
    I don't know what I can say to help you, but when I read your post I found some similarities between us. Only, I'm alot older and I'm a girl. But I have always had to fight social anxiety, panic attacks and depression. but I think the depression came as a result of being so sleepy.

I hate being thought of lazy, so I either try to overcompensate, or avoid people when I feel so tired. At the gym, when I was able to go, i did my walk or weights with my eyes closed and just tried my best to let my brain zone out, and my body go into automatic. But working out with your eyes closed is not a good idea, huh?
    I know eh, me too! Like I always feel the need to tell people I'm so tired because I don't want them to think it's because I'm in a bad mood or just not fun, etc etc, so I too try to avoid people when I'm extra tired (if it were just whenever I was tired I'd never talk to anyone period lol) or make sure to tell them I'm feelin exhausted etc. And the gym thing I know, it's pretty bad. Like you my brain can just turn off and zone out and relax while I'm at the gym. I'm like a robot. I try not to get into social encounters because mentally I feel uncapable of conversation lol.

Quote:
    I know what you mean about sleeping all night only to need to go back to bed a few hours later. Before I got put on Adderall (which I'm not advocating, but I would have never made it through school without it) I could sleep 16 hours easy. And I often did, I would work my usual shift and spend the rest of my asleep. It's all I could do.

About 3 in the afternoon, I have ALWAYS been overwhelmed with the NEED to lay down and try to sleep or at least rest. Very inconvenient.

Late alot, missed alot of school and work all my life. Waking up is like torture. BUT, my grades came easy to me.

There have been lots of times in my life when I did everything perfect, eating right, exercising right, good sleep habits, but to no avail.
    At 36 years old, I think I have tried it all, including Buddhism, fad diets, and almost "giving up".
    I'm sorry you almost got to the point of "giving up" but I can definetly relate. And ha 3 in the afternoon?? My wall gets hit before noon . And I think it's time I go get help and potentially get on some meds because I cannot live life like this. I'm LUCKY these days if I get in 3 hours of solid studying in a day. I'm just so terribly tired to think. I'm not sure if it's due to my depression or what, or my anxiety...I'm sure they're all intertwined though attacking me as a unit. Maybe that's actually a good thing, meaning if I stop one of them, they all will improve or cease; yeah wishful thinking though.

And I know! Waking up is LITERALLY torture. I KNOW something isn't right when I somehow drag myself down to the kitchen table, and my other family members are not only talking, but sounding coherent and funtioning when I literally feel mentally handicapped (sorry if that sounds offensive I'm not trying to be). I just feel incapable of speaking; the thought of engaging in any kind of talking seems like rocket science. And I often might even stumble when taking out my food and utensils (stumble as in stop and not remember what I need, or forgot to take something out etc.). Very frustrating. Showers are a must, and I generally feel a little better after having them but still like s-it.

Quote:
    Have you been to a sleep study? It might not tell you what is wrong, but it might tell you what is NOT wrong, like sleep apnea or narcolepsy. After I did a sleep lab a year ago, I was put on the Adderall (which by the way, isn't it banned in Canada?) I think the sleep study showed my doctor I was serious.

Life has been easier (with the stimulant) in that, it does help me get things done in the day, but I have to take it about an hour before i try to start waking up. And I know I can't take it forever, so what is the next step, right? I developed a tolerance to it quickly so I often have to go without it for days so that I don't max out on a dose.

If your doctor isnt taking you seriously, you aren't alone for sure. Have you done a web search for docs in the area that treat sleep disorders? I think it might be a starting point. I've spent about 20 years wondering why in the hell I'm so sleepy.

I hope you never get to that point, I hope you don't let it get to that point. If you can't find a CFS doc there, try the sleep disorder lab. It's a good place to start to find some help.
    That's great great advice. I've always wanted to take one, never went through with it and asked for one. I always ASSUME I get good sleep b/c I can remember a dream when I wake up, but I think it's time I stop assuming that means I'm getting great sleep. I know I'm a mouthbreather and my nasal passages have always been obstucted, doc thought I may even havea deviated septum, so I very well might be experiencing sleep problems. I'm going to demand to get one from my doc asap. I can only PRAY that I DO have one. I'd be the happiest person on earth! I'm just SOOOOOOO desperate to find out whats wrong with me. It really weighs be down just thinking about it. I could be so much more in the world. And it seems like all my problems (fatigue, social anxiety, depression) are all related. I swear I think my social anxiety problems stem from my brain fog insecurities where sometimes I just cannot articulate myself. Yet I'm a wizard at grammar and essay's etc (disregard these posts as evidence as I'm trying save time ).

Anyway thanks a whole lot for sharing you're story as it sounds incredibly similar. Hopefully we can both share our success stories in the near future.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
    nscrbug
    Veteran
    (female)

nscrbug HB User

Wow! After reading Jonathon's and Daisychain's posts...I felt compelled to post my story here. I'm a 43yo active female. This past summer, I got bit by the "triathlon" bug, and soon I'll be training for my first Half Ironman next July. I'm in the gym daily...doing cardio, weights, stretching, spinning, running, you name it! I have never been formally diagnosed with CFS, but have always thought that I might have it. Like both of you, I battle with this never-ending tiredness and fatigue every single day. I eat healthy, get plenty of exercise, and sleep like a baby, yet...everyday, without fail...I need to lay down and take a 2 hour nap at noontime. I work an evening shift, and find myself getting sleepy around 8pm. I never, ever feel well-rested after a night's sleep. Most days, it's a struggle to wake up, but I reluctantly drag myself out of bed, get dressed and get to the gym by 6am on most mornings. I used to be a very social person, especially at the gym. But lately, I find myself NOT wanting to talk to people. I'd rather just zone out and get my workout done. Striking up a conversation seems like a chore, and most people that talk to me always want to know how I'm feeling...and I'm reluctant to tell them how I REALLY feel. I mean seriously, it starts to get old when you're asked "How ya feeling today?"...and your reply is the same thing every freakin' day - "I'm tired"...or "Not so good". I'm beginning to get the feeling that most people think I'm a hypochondriac, because I haven't felt "good" in a really long time. Of course, their answer is always "Go home and rest". Ummm...ya think?!?! If they only knew it was a daily routine for me to "go home and rest". And I also feel as if it's hard to put my thoughts together for a conversation...I guess that's the brain fog kicking in. Most people interpret that as me being "cranky" or "moody"...which I'm not really, it's just mentally straining to have a conversation when I'm feeling this way.

I don't really have anything to contribute, in the way of advice or ideas on how to deal with this. I just wanted to share my story...it's good to know I'm not alone. I was beginning to think I was a "freak" or something.

Thanks for reading....

Linda

Old 12-04-2008, 05:24 PM   #7
    nottellinnebody
    (female)

nottellinnebody HB User

Quote:
    in amazing shape as I workout often and have been a competitive athlete all my life.
    Um. No offense but how can you have chronic fatigue if you're so active? If you really had it, you would wouldn't be able to do those things at all. Or maybe just once in a blue moon.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:41 PM   #8
    jonathon003
    (male)

jonathon003 HB User

MENTAL fatigue. no offense either but did u even read my post?

now i'm not sayin i actually have CFS b/c i've never been diagnosed nor know if my symptoms match....all i know is I have chronic fatigue mentally and not physically (ie weak, tired muscles). I had 3 naps today

Old 02-24-2009, 06:37 PM   #9
    Hollingsm
    (female)

Hollingsm HB User

I TOTALLY understand how you feel. I'm sorry your family doesn't take it more seriously. It can totally make life miserable and "un-doable." I was diagnosed with EBV 8 years ago. I hate it. I'm always tired and feel like I am held hostage by it.

Have you had your thyroid and hormone levels tested? They also can contribute to unending tiredness and the "foggy" brain issues you mentioned. Thyroid and hormone levels can be tested easily through a blood test AND there is medication to help with that.

It's really worth a try to see if those are a problem for you as well.

Good luck!!

P.S. I hit my "wall" by noon too......It makes for a very short window of opportunity to accomplish anything!

Last edited by Hollingsm; 02-24-2009 at 06:39 PM.

Closed Thread