It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Low ferritin question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-05-2008, 11:12 AM   #1
    Sherry1563
    (female)

Sherry1563 HB User
    Low ferritin question

Just got my test results back which stated ferritin at 7 . Dr. has put me on prescription iron. other counts were all in mostly normal range. Iron wa around 37.

My question is how the heck can my number be so low when i take iron suplpements and also eat lots of iron rich foods??? I eat leafy greens and veggies ALL DAY( I love them) and red meat(not a huge amount but at least one serving every other day). i can't even IMAGINE what my levels would be without supplements and green veggies all day

So how can one have such a low number eating so much iron all day????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
    susieq14
    (female)

susieq14 HB User
    Re: Low ferritin question

Sherry,
    I'm pretty new to this issue but I have one question/comment. I have a ferritin of 5 and since I am postmenopausal and was having no vaginal bleeding I was put through a series of tests to determine if I had an upper or lower GI bleed. when they came back negative, my Gp sent me to a hematologist who put me on iron supplements.
    Where are you in the process? Have you been tested to be sure that you are not bleeding internally? there are some very knowledgeable gals here so if you share a little more info perhaps you will get some good insight.

Best wishes to you!

Old 12-06-2008, 08:55 AM   #3
    Sherry1563
    (female)

Sherry1563 HB User

I'm just starting out with all this. i have felt like crap and tired most my life so i just pretty much learned to ignore it. Of course something dramatic had to happen before i did something about it..
    I always had hair that was thin and fell out easy, didn't grow hardly at all...blah blah blah. i have numerous times asked drs. about this but they always say the same thing which is "It must be stress" and tell me just relax. The last Dr. said this and I told him if I made HIS SALARY i could relax and take it easy JUST FINE. LOL he was not amused.

So then last month my hair started falling out in clumps. instead of a THOUSAND single strands a day i now am losing a few thousand a day and in clumps of about 5 or strands t a time. This goes on all day every day and I have a bout hALF my hair left. So the new Dr. ran the fasting tests and everything was pretty much in normal range or very close except FERRITIN. So now he has decided to put me on the prescription iron. I just started it yesterday.I'm in my forties and not yet started menopause

Last edited by Sherry1563; 12-06-2008 at 08:57 AM.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:23 AM   #4
    StephRabin
    (female)

StephRabin HB User

Sherry, I can't answer your question about why you are iron deficient after eating lots of iron rich foods. My answer was pretty clear. I had a baby, didnt take vitamins, eat no red meat, and very little fruits and veggies. Docs didnt even bother testing any further when I told them that. Plus, I have heavy periods.

As for the hairloss...this was one of the reasons I sought help. My OBGYN kept telling me it was comon to lose hair after having a baby. But I didnt think he quite understood HOW MUCH. THen he told me to see a dermatologist about it...IDIOT> When i made an appointment with an endo, I brought ONE DAY'S worth of hair that had been lost. It FILLED up a sandwhich bag. It was more than a thousand hairs, and I told the doc I brought it so she could see just how much hair i was losing. My ferritin was at a 1. My hair has stopped fallin out and it has been six months since starting the iron. I feel good as long as I didnt have any blood drawn or and periods. My only complaint now is how silly my hair looks now that it's growing back. I havse spikes all over the place. Especially around my face. Also, the spikes are all different sizes...so at this point, I basically look like I cut bangs, but not in the center of my forehead, just on the sides....

Old 12-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
    Sherry1563
    (female)

Sherry1563 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by StephRabin View Post
    Sherry, I can't answer your question about why you are iron deficient after eating lots of iron rich foods. My answer was pretty clear. I had a baby, didnt take vitamins, eat no red meat, and very little fruits and veggies. Docs didnt even bother testing any further when I told them that. Plus, I have heavy periods.

As for the hairloss...this was one of the reasons I sought help. My OBGYN kept telling me it was comon to lose hair after having a baby. But I didnt think he quite understood HOW MUCH. THen he told me to see a dermatologist about it...IDIOT> When i made an appointment with an endo, I brought ONE DAY'S worth of hair that had been lost. It FILLED up a sandwhich bag. It was more than a thousand hairs, and I told the doc I brought it so she could see just how much hair i was losing. My ferritin was at a 1. My hair has stopped fallin out and it has been six months since starting the iron. I feel good as long as I didnt have any blood drawn or and periods. My only complaint now is how silly my hair looks now that it's growing back. I havse spikes all over the place. Especially around my face. Also, the spikes are all different sizes...so at this point, I basically look like I cut bangs, but not in the center of my forehead, just on the sides....

Well not that i am glad that you had this happen BUT i'm glad to hear that the IRON helped with hairloss. I know what you mean about them not comprehending EXACTLY how much hair was falling out. I just kept hearing over and over it's NORMAL to loss hair. Like you were I am losing about a sandwich bag full a DAY. I'm betting if the DR. was losing that much a day they wouldn't think it was NORMAL....LOL.

I just hope this iron starts working BEFORE i'm totally bald first!!!!!lI'll be happy to have pokey hair all over as long as it IS hair

Can I ask you guys how MUCH iron you are taking. Right now I'm on my regular daily vitamin which has 60mg plus still doing overload on green veggies plus I'm prescribed another 975 a day by the Dr..

Old 12-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

When my ferretin was down to 8 and then it took virtually a whole year to get to 14 and my hair was falling out like crazy i decided to visit a Trichologist. I had seen a Dermatologist who was useless, said it was stress, my GP was no help, tried to put me on Birth Control as my periods began to get messed up and i had the hair loss at the same time. After a few years of this i began doing research on here and felt my last hope lay in this Trichologist. He was fantastic, tought me so much about iron and it's importance and how we should have a ferretin of 70 and above for correct hair cycle growth, resting and shedding phases. He also discovered that i was below low for Vit D and iodine and that i was a bit on the gluten intolerant side and his major discovery was that i did in fact have a thyroid problem and was suffering from Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.

Now that i've had most of my issues corrected or they are in the process of being corrected i'm only losing what i'd term 'normal' amounts of hair. I've also gone through the business of having new growths of hair sticking out all over my head. Some days i look like i've electric shock treatment. I don't mind as it's taken me 8 years to get here.

The thing is, if you are doing all and eating all the right things, then the low ferretin must be coming from somewhere. I do know that some people with gluten intolerance end up with low iron and even anemic. When they take all gluten foods out of their diet their ferretin picks up all on it's own with virtually no need for supplements.

With my iodine being below low, i found when the Trichologist gave me a liquid iodine supplement to use, about 2 - 3 months later i had hardly any hair shedding for a whole month, then it began shedding again, but i was no longer on the iodine supplement. When i began seeing my new doctor for my thyroid, he ran an iodine test and found it to be extremely low. Once i began supplementing iodine again it considerably stopped falling out.

I have heard on the thyroid board that if your TSH is not stable and keeps rising and falling that that will cause hair shedding due to the hormones changing.

Have you had all your hormones tested? I have excess estrogen and my testosterone is a little high. Hormone imbalance can lead to hair loss too.

The other issue i had which can cause hair loss is that my pancreas was not producing sufficient digestive enzymes which led to protein foods not being able to be digested properly. I was eating lots of red meat, salads, and vegetables and couldn't understand why my ferretin was so low, but finding out about the lack of digestive enzymes leading to low protein would lead to low ferretin and hair loss as hair is 98% protein.

The odd thing is that over on the thyroid board most people have very similar issues eg: low iron, diffcult to raise iron, low Vit D, low/too much iodine, gluten intolerance. This just goes to show that one illness can have many other factors attached to it. For about 2 years i was solely focused on "low iron" only. It was only when i was diagnosed with the Hashimoto's and began looking into thyroid issues and my digestive issues that i realised low iron/anemia is merely a symptom of a whole other illness.

If you get your thyroid tested it must include TSH, T3, T4 and Thyroid Antibodies. Most doctors will run a basic TSH, but that doesn't show the full picture. The problem is that a lot of doctors will say you are ok if your results fall "within range". It's helpful to have a doctor who knows where you should be at or what target you ought to be striving for.

I know it's frustrating and it's like a big jigsaw puzzle. Finding out what is causing your low ferretin will likely lead to finding out what could be causing your hair shedding.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:41 AM   #7
    Sherry1563
    (female)

Sherry1563 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Audrey-B View Post
    When my ferretin was down to 8 and then it took virtually a whole year to get to 14 and my hair was falling out like crazy i decided to visit a Trichologist. I had seen a Dermatologist who was useless, said it was stress, my GP was no help, tried to put me on Birth Control as my periods began to get messed up and i had the hair loss at the same time. After a few years of this i began doing research on here and felt my last hope lay in this Trichologist. He was fantastic, tought me so much about iron and it's importance and how we should have a ferretin of 70 and above for correct hair cycle growth, resting and shedding phases. He also discovered that i was below low for Vit D and iodine and that i was a bit on the gluten intolerant side and his major discovery was that i did in fact have a thyroid problem and was suffering from Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.

Now that i've had most of my issues corrected or they are in the process of being corrected i'm only losing what i'd term 'normal' amounts of hair. I've also gone through the business of having new growths of hair sticking out all over my head. Some days i look like i've electric shock treatment. I don't mind as it's taken me 8 years to get here.

The thing is, if you are doing all and eating all the right things, then the low ferretin must be coming from somewhere. I do know that some people with gluten intolerance end up with low iron and even anemic. When they take all gluten foods out of their diet their ferretin picks up all on it's own with virtually no need for supplements.

With my iodine being below low, i found when the Trichologist gave me a liquid iodine supplement to use, about 2 - 3 months later i had hardly any hair shedding for a whole month, then it began shedding again, but i was no longer on the iodine supplement. When i began seeing my new doctor for my thyroid, he ran an iodine test and found it to be extremely low. Once i began supplementing iodine again it considerably stopped falling out.

I have heard on the thyroid board that if your TSH is not stable and keeps rising and falling that that will cause hair shedding due to the hormones changing.

Have you had all your hormones tested? I have excess estrogen and my testosterone is a little high. Hormone imbalance can lead to hair loss too.

The other issue i had which can cause hair loss is that my pancreas was not producing sufficient digestive enzymes which led to protein foods not being able to be digested properly. I was eating lots of red meat, salads, and vegetables and couldn't understand why my ferretin was so low, but finding out about the lack of digestive enzymes leading to low protein would lead to low ferretin and hair loss as hair is 98% protein.

The odd thing is that over on the thyroid board most people have very similar issues eg: low iron, diffcult to raise iron, low Vit D, low/too much iodine, gluten intolerance. This just goes to show that one illness can have many other factors attached to it. For about 2 years i was solely focused on "low iron" only. It was only when i was diagnosed with the Hashimoto's and began looking into thyroid issues and my digestive issues that i realised low iron/anemia is merely a symptom of a whole other illness.

If you get your thyroid tested it must include TSH, T3, T4 and Thyroid Antibodies. Most doctors will run a basic TSH, but that doesn't show the full picture. The problem is that a lot of doctors will say you are ok if your results fall "within range". It's helpful to have a doctor who knows where you should be at or what target you ought to be striving for.

I know it's frustrating and it's like a big jigsaw puzzle. Finding out what is causing your low ferretin will likely lead to finding out what could be causing your hair shedding.

Thanks for so much info. It does get ones wheels turning to look into all possibilities

I did have all the thyroid tests done and was in range with them I'm feeling pretty confidanrt as I was pretty much smack in the MID range.
    I thought about the Vitamin thing. I'm suprised they don't run this when they do everything else. I actually had asked my Dr. how everything could be tested properly if I was using SUPPLEMENTS and he said don't worry because the tests didn't check those types of things. i was wondering HOW YU DO check for correct vitamin levels if you are taking supplements. i mean I could stop for a month but then of course I would be to paranoid what little hair I have left would fall right out

Old 12-08-2008, 02:11 PM   #8
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Unfortunately vitamins do not bring hair back if the hair loss is due to something wrong eg: stress, low ferretin, thyroid, adrenal fatigue, malabsorbtion of nutrients due to gluten intolerance or digestive issues.

I was on vitamins for years. My parents used to get upset with me and tell me that all those vitamins i was taking were likely what was causing my health issues in the first place, saying things like "you don't know what they put in those vitamin pills". Also news reports that people who constantly take vitamins end up making their bodies dependent on the vitamins rather than getting the nutrients from actual foods.

I suppose taking vitamins doesn't hurt as they will 'prop' up your system until you find out what is actually wrong. Sort of like using crutches when you have a broken leg Apart from that, they will not actually fix what is wrong, especially if it's something more serious. It's best to find out what you are actually low in and buy your vitamins individually as those Multi vitamins usually only contain very tiny doses of most things. Also when you are taking iron you do not want to be taking your zinc or calcium along with it. Certain foods, beverages and other vitamins/minerals will stop the absorption of the iron you are taking.

You say that your thyroid tests were right in the middle, i don't know what your lab ranges are, but there are actually targets where certain things should be at. You can't just be in the middle for thyroid. It would be best if you could post your thyroid results here or on the thyroid board. Different countries use different lab ranges for T4, T3 so depending on the ranges used i might/not be able to help you out and you should then post on the thyroid board. TSH has the same lab range in most countries and myself or someone else can help you out with that. Thyroid antibodies tests use same range also i believe. Problem is that most doctors will tell you that you are 'within range' and leave it at that. If you don't know what the correct targets are you tend to believe the doctor. This is why i wasted 8 precious years along with 8 years worth of hair loss, due to doctors telling me my thyroid was fine when all of those 8 years it was not fine and i needed to be medicated.

The problem is that too many things can cause hair loss, from hormonal imbalances like
    above normal testosterone, adrenal fatigue due to low/high cortisol levels, anemia/long term low iron, not getting sufficient protein, going on/off the pill seems to be more and more common, thyroid condition.

Not sure if i asked you before, but did you doctor test your B12? alot of people on here who have had low B12 have had low iron. B12 also tends to lack in people with adrenal fatigue.

Hoping you get some answers soon

Old 12-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #9
    Vanessa777
    (female)

Vanessa777 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sherry1563 View Post
    Just got my test results back which stated ferritin at 7 . Dr. has put me on prescription iron. other counts were all in mostly normal range. Iron was around 37.

My question is how the heck can my number be so low when i take iron suplpements and also eat lots of iron rich foods??? I eat leafy greens and veggies ALL DAY( I love them) and red meat(not a huge amount but at least one serving every other day). i can't even IMAGINE what my levels would be without supplements and green veggies all day

So how can one have such a low number eating so much iron all day????
    Hi, most of the members of my family have low ferretin levels and it is all due to a B-12 deficiency that runs in our family. All my life my iron always tested fine (the blood level of iron). Three years ago, I was feeling really awful and one of the things the Dr. checked was my ferritin (how much iron I was absorbing). Of course it came out low so he then looked into my B-12 levels and that was the cause. Iron cannot be absorbed properly without B-12. That is why B-12 deficiency is called pernicious anemia (pernicious meaning aggresive). Since I first found that I was low in B-12 and started on B-12 shots, 6 other members in my family all tested low in ferritin and B-12 deficiency. The local pharmacy has to stock a lot of B-12 now. Our ferritin levels have all come up but we all MUST take iron every day. Make sure your doctor checks your B-12 AND don't start taking the B-12 by mouth first or it WILL affect the results of your test. Good luck!

Old 12-10-2008, 12:25 PM   #10
    Sherry1563
    (female)

Sherry1563 HB User

Ok.. Not sure which test results are relevant but here are some of them

WBC 6
    RBC 4.6
    HEMOGLOBIN 12.8
    HEMACRIT 39.4
    MCV 85.3
    MCH 27.7
    MCHC 32.5
    RDW 13.9
    platelet count 315
    mpv 10.3
    granulocytes 62.2
    lymphocytes 27
    monocytes 8.8
    esinophils 1.7
    basophils .3
    gran absolute 3.8
    lymph absolute 1.6
    mono absolute .5
    eos absolute .1
    baso absolute 0.0
    sedimentation rate 4

sodium 136
    potassium 4
    chloride 103
    carbon dioxide 28
    bun17
    creatinine serum .9
    bun/ creatinine ratio 19
    glucose fasting 98
    calcium 9.1
    protien total 7
    albumin 4
    globulin 3
    ag ratio 1.3
    bilirubin total 1.68
    alkaline phosphatse 80
    ast 14
    alt 29

ferritin 7
    iron 57( sorry I was thinking 37 in an earlier post)
    prolactin 8

t3 free 297
    t4 free 1.9
    tsh 1.45
    insulin 4

testosterone free and total lc/ms/ms 33
    % free testosterone .59
    free testosterone 1.9
    DHEA sulfate 88

anachoice screen negative

Let me know if anybody has any knowledge or thoughts on these results

Old 12-14-2008, 07:28 AM   #11
    rose3408
    (female)

rose3408 HB User
    To: Audrey-B

Everything you indicated below makes such PERFECT SENSE! Thank you.

My first question is, can you please tell me what BRAND digestive enzymes you are taking? I truly feel I must need a digestive enzyme because I tend to have, pardon me (flatulance) all the time!

I am going to have my B12 and Vitamin tested as well. In regards to Hormones, I am menopausal, so my Estrogen and Progesterone are <0. Thinking my hair loss was sue to low estrogen because I also have awful night/day sweats, insomnia, brain farts, etc. I started taking HRT. I chose the more bioidentical kind, "Vivelle.dot patch & Prometrium.

What form of hormones are you taking, if any?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Audrey-B View Post

Old 12-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #12
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Re: To: Audrey-B

Sherry - your ferretin is very low being at 7, you really need to get it up a lot higher. I'm not sure about your thyroid figures as your lab uses a different range compared to mine. Your TSH is a little higher but not high enough for anybody to worry over, unless your T4 and/or T3 are too high/low also. Your doctor hasn't done a thyroid antibodies test as far as i can see. Did you ever find out why your ferretin got so low eg: any unusual bleeding, gluten intolerance, polyps?

Old 12-15-2008, 01:31 PM   #13
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Re: To: Audrey-B

Rose - the enzymes i'm on are called Creon Forte and they are prescription only. My doctor organised a stool test to determine what my digestive system was doing prior to issuing the prescription. I'm not sure whether certain enzymes are for people who can't digest a certain thing eg: fats, carbs, protein or whether all digestive enzymes do the same job. I found a lot of helpful information on the net when i researched digestive enzymes and malabsorption which i'd never known before. A lot of people can't digest lactose in milk and that falls under inability to digest carbs. I wondered what does carbs have to do with milk, but the sugar in lactose is a carbohydrate. So there you go, the things you learn Have you tried the over the counter enzymes, but perhaps a quality one?

I'm not taking any hormones, my estrogen is too high and i'm not menopausal either. Maybe when i finally reach menopause my estrogen will then be like a normal person pre-menopause Your hair loss could be due to any number of things. How is your testosterone? A lot of women do notice a change with their hair during/after menopause. I think it's worth looking at every possobility. I used to think my hair shedding was solely due to long term low ferretin and now that my ferretin has risen i realise mine is likely connected to my thyroid and whatever else is going on with my hormones. I'll keep taking my iron though as my doctor wants my ferretin up to 125 and then i'll only take a daily 'maintenance' dose of iron to keep me at that level.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:07 PM   #14
    rose3408
    (female)

rose3408 HB User

Hi Audrey-B:

In testing my hormones, they are all within normal range for a menopausal woman; that being prog/estrogen/test + <0. etc.

I thought my hair loss was due to my hormones because it started at the onset of menopause, so I asked my gyno to put me on HRT. I am on the 0.50 Vivelle.dot patch and Prometrium, however I have not noticed any change in my hair.

So presently, I am taking Repliva (iron supplement via prescription) and the HRT. I am NOT on any sort of thyroid medication because I cannot find a Doctor who agress I have a thyroid problem after continually looking at my test results and/or ordering new tests. However I truly believe since my TSH continually goes up and down, that I do have a thyroid problem. Also because I am always freezing and have lost the out 1/3 of my eyebrows.

The Doctors you have seen sound absolutely fabulous! Lucky you! I wish they were like that in the US. I tried posting a request on this site for a referral in the Midwest, however the Administrator takes the information out of the forum because apparently it's against the rules???? Information like this is so badly in need, and I thought that was the purpose of this forum to help people. Go figure.

Thank you for all your wonderful advice and info.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:16 PM   #15
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Rose - seems you are covering all bases. The only other things you can do is post all your thyroid results over on the thyroid board, but that board moves very fast and your post can disappear onto page 2 or 3 as most people are in the same boat looking for expert advice. I'd still give it a go. It's also worth reading other people's posts and going back 10, 20 or more pages to see what threads took place. You can often find informative information that way. The best information isn't always necessarily on page 1.

Doctors here aren't better than anywhere else, it's just that after 8 years of looking my luck must have turned As for asking about doctors, i also thought you were allowed to asked if anybody knew of a good doctor in a certain city or state. Could be the way you worded your request.

Have you looked at the hormone section of these boards? There are bound to be ladies there discussing menopause and how it has affected them. Women can lose a lot of hair during/after menopause. It's usually been associated to change in hormones, when in fact menopause is one of the big triggers for thyroid issues in women and one of the least diagnosed. On average thyroid issues will occur when there is a big hormonal change and that is normally during puberty, pregnancy and menopause. It can occur at other times, but change of hormones is a big one. It's just that menopause brings on so many symptoms it's difficult to tell what is menopause and what is something else. Sort of like being iron deficient, which symptoms are due to low iron and which are due to the actual illness which is causing your low iron?

I must agree that a TSH which keeps going up and down like an amusement park ride is a sign something isn't right. Doctors only look at the TSH you have at this point in time, they don't look at what you had 6 months ago or 1 year ago. An example is my dad, one test had his TSH at 1.9, which all doctors would pass off as good and just 3 weeks later it was .17 which even the lab highlighted as too low and his doctor said he was fine, nothing wrong.

Don't give up, keep looking for a doctor and go through the thyroid board with a fine tooth comb and you might find that someone has found a decent doctor in your state/town/city. Also keep working at your ferretin. Long term low iron can mess up your thyroid too, so lifting your ferretin might help the thyroid settle.

Closed Thread