It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• anemia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-27-2008, 08:19 AM   #1
    malikawan
    (male)

malikawan HB User
    anemia

Hi All

I am a patient of arthritis and have been taking pain killers for the last one year. This has destroyed my stomach and now i am on acid reducers but the bad effect that pain killers had on me was anemia. I have become anemic. My wife is also anemic but she doesn't have the symptons that I have. I feel dizzy all the time, my legs feel weak (sometimes). I have pain in my back between the shoulders. Is this all happening because of anemia? I have seen doctors several times. They say red blood cells count is low but they dont give me any medicine. Instead, they keep subscribing pain killers which, as I said, has already destroyed my stomach. What should I do? I bought iron tabs over the counter but they didn't help. Any suggestions or similar experience?

Thanks,

Malik Awan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
    robinegg
    (female)

robinegg HB Userrobinegg HB User
    Re: anemia

Quote:
    Originally Posted by malikawan View Post
    Hi All

I am a patient of arthritis and have been taking pain killers for the last one year. This has destroyed my stomach and now i am on acid reducers but the bad effect that pain killers had on me was anemia. I have become anemic. My wife is also anemic but she doesn't have the symptons that I have. I feel dizzy all the time, my legs feel weak (sometimes). I have pain in my back between the shoulders. Is this all happening because of anemia? I have seen doctors several times. They say red blood cells count is low but they dont give me any medicine. Instead, they keep subscribing pain killers which, as I said, has already destroyed my stomach. What should I do? I bought iron tabs over the counter but they didn't help. Any suggestions or similar experience?

Thanks,

Malik Awan
    Hi
    Oh so many of these stories here are like me .....
    I developed a mystery illness around 5 years ago after sever truama........Was told the same as you and they thought I had so many things I wont bother to mention to many but the truth was revealed this year
    I am B12 deficient (well Was) had severe symptoms dizziness,memory loss ,loss of appetite, numbness,tingling,intolerance to cold ,couldnt talk properly, couldnt walk well, rombergs,l hermittes,stomach issues,bowel problems, aching joints....ect...I realized I had had stomach thing from a child but would come and go.........My deficiencies were caused from celiac disease even though I had been tested they were negative but we founfd out eventually much later......I had low iron,(I just founf out about that yesterday I never bothered to check before) Folate Def, Vit D def, and low ferritin.....

I also had terrible upper back pain inbetween my shoulder blades I know know it was nerve pain I get this back if I dare eat gluten yuk

I gather you have been taking anti inflammatories for your pains yes they wreck havoc with the gut ( itook them for 10 days only they were useless anyway and they said to take another tablet to counteract damage so I refused to take them non complient they named me LOL nice thing to have on my record)...........It destroys the acid and you end up with high stomach acid symptoms so they give you antacids which destorys the stomach even further so you dont make hyrochloric acid important for B12 utilization so now you end up with a B12 deficiency...........
    Iwould strongly suggest a B12 serum test and a uMMA & Hyc test for hidden deficiency that just means if your serum levels are normal then they will show that you have a deficiency at the cellular level..... Intrinsic factor as well

Be anemic can make you feel crappy but even worse havinbg the 2 together and a lot of people do....Some people have pernacious anemia which is B12 related anemia you would need B12 injection s for life with this......

Take care hope I have been a little helpful for you

Old 11-28-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Welcome to the boards! Sorry that you are having such a hard time. Illness is not a picnic that's for sure. You need to know what your H & H and RBC counts are to see how anemic you are and your ferritin level to see what your stores look like and if you have any. Next, you said that you tried OTC iron supplements and that they didn't work for you. What did you take, how long and how much? Sorry for so many quesitons, but it is needed to see what may help you. I had to end up helping myself through the internet because the docs just let my blood counts drop and such..... There are irons that are made for people that have GI tract problems. There may be a better iron that will work for you. Bottom line is that if there is blood loss you have to correct that problem and replace iron to feel better and make new blood cells. You do need to manage your pain perhaps with a diferent kind of medication to start with. Something that will heal the lining of your stomach would also be a plus. Best of luck to you. Keep us posted. FLFLOWERGIRL

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 11-29-2008 at 05:26 PM.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
    malikawan
    (male)

malikawan HB User

Thank you so much for sharing this information. I am trying to learn to live with all these problems. I will get my blood tests done again on monday. Thank you very much for your help!

Regards

Malik

Old 11-29-2008, 04:51 PM   #5
    malikawan
    (male)

malikawan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FLFLOWERGIRL View Post
    Welcome to the boards! Sorry that you are having such a hard time. Illness is not picnicK that's for sure. You need to know what your H & H and RBC counts are to see how anemic you are and your ferritin level to see what your stores look like and if you have any. Next, you said that you tried OTC iron supplements and that they didn't work for you. What did you take, how long and how much? Sorry for so many quesitons, but it is needed to see what may help you. I had to end up helping myself through the internet because the docs just let my blood counts drop and such..... There are irons that are made for people that have GI tract problems. There may be a better iron that will work for you. Bottom line is that if there is blood loss you have to correct that problem and replace iron to feel better and make new blood cells. You do need to manage your pain perhaps with a diferent kind of medication to start with. Something that will heal the lining of your stomach would also be a plus. Best of luck to you. Keep us posted. FLFLOWERGIRL
    Thank you so very much for such a detailed response. I really appreciate it! I sometimes dont understand why doctors are unable to diagnose the problem. I notice that sometimes I specifically have to tell the doctor about the tests that should be done and the medicine that I would like to take. It is their job to diagnose and prescribe the right medicine. I have stopped taking pain killers which has made my life miserable but feeling dizzy was taking a lot more toll on quality of my life. Because of the pain killers I also now have GERD and I am taking nexium and mylanta but it seems, as of now, they are having less effect and I keep feeling lightheaded and weak. I went to barnes and nobles 3 days ago and bought 100 ways to keep yourself motivated. The biggest drawback of remaining ill is one loses all faith, in everything and keeps worrying and life becomes a burden.

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated!

Best Regards

Malik Awan

Old 11-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #6
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

I have GERD also and took Nexium for 8 years. The Nexium doesn't work for me anymore so I now take Zegerid that workS very, very, well. The iron tore me up so bad that it sent me to the ER and gave me enteritis for 3 months and I lost 15 lbs do to this. At the same time I had a 2 ferritin and 8.5 Hgb, moderately anemic. You should ask your doctors for a change of meds. I have even gone to every other day now and I think it is working so far, it has only been two weeks though.

I also take Poly Iron 150 which gives 150 mgs of elemental iron. It is OTC, but you have to ask for it at the pharmacy. Anemia is the end stage of the ferritin stores, make sure that you have this test done. If it is low you will need high dose iron replacement. This iron is for people with GI problems and I can actually take it on an empty stomach as iron should be taken.

Have you talked to a pain management clinic where they give shots or botox or whatever it is that they give. If you can bypass the GI tract then that's a good thing. There are different meds, you just need to find a doc that is willing to give them. You don't have to live like this.

Do you know what blood tests are happening on Monday? I hope that you and your wife get over this anemia soon. I think a lot of your symptoms are a result of deficiency. Iron is what you need NOT motivation at this point . My life is just now getting better and I was diagnosed 2 years ago Jan. 09. Things will get better, it just takes time. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 11-30-2008, 09:26 AM   #7
    Scarlett732
    (female)

Scarlett732 HB User

Hi! I haven't visited here for 6 months...wow! Time flies. Last time I was here I was extremely low in blood. My eyelids were white, my lips too. I was very weak and breathless. I would be getting dressed and have to take breaks in between, I could not walk far without getting breathless. I was very low. I also was suffering bad anxiety attacks, lost a lot of weight and my hair thinned.

At that time my doctor put me on 3 ferous sulphate tablets a day to build me back up. I was told to eat foods rich in Iron. I also heard that walking and exercise was a good thing even though at the time it was hard!

So now 6 months on I just want to say how much better I feel, all my color has returned, I have bags of energy. I feel so much better. My anxiety is not as bad and my hair is gradually begining to grow. I just want to say to anyone going through anemia, that things do get better. Go to your doctor and get the help and just hang in there. All the best!

Old 11-30-2008, 10:04 AM   #8
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Scarlett732--Congrats!!! It's nice that you came back to let us know how you you are doing. I am so glad that you are making a full recovery. Do you know what your Ferritin counts are? You must have been really anemic. Best of luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 12-09-2008, 07:11 AM   #9
    malikawan
    (male)

malikawan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scarlett732 View Post
    Hi! I haven't visited here for 6 months...wow! Time flies. Last time I was here I was extremely low in blood. My eyelids were white, my lips too. I was very weak and breathless. I would be getting dressed and have to take breaks in between, I could not walk far without getting breathless. I was very low. I also was suffering bad anxiety attacks, lost a lot of weight and my hair thinned.

At that time my doctor put me on 3 ferous sulphate tablets a day to build me back up. I was told to eat foods rich in Iron. I also heard that walking and exercise was a good thing even though at the time it was hard!

So now 6 months on I just want to say how much better I feel, all my color has returned, I have bags of energy. I feel so much better. My anxiety is not as bad and my hair is gradually begining to grow. I just want to say to anyone going through anemia, that things do get better. Go to your doctor and get the help and just hang in there. All the best!

I am very glad to hear about you. Its good to know that you recovered. I wish you all the best and wish you more health. God bless!

Closed Thread