It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Ferritin and dizziness/balance

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-25-2008, 03:48 AM   #1
    Mac2
    (female)

Mac2 HB User
    Ferritin and dizziness/balance

Hi

I have been reading through the posts and see that a lot of people with low ferritin levels also suffer dizziness and balance problems.

I have suffered these problems for years now and every time I catch a virus my problems escalate. (Maybe because my body is trying to dip into my iron reserves which are just not there?) My ferritin levels are 10 though I am not anaemic.

I also have a few of the other symptoms mentioned by many of you i.e. hair loss, palpitations, chest pain.

I have had many visits to the ENT over these last 4 years but nothing has been found regarding my ears. My doctor, however, insists that my problems are because of my ears, I was initially diagnosed with Labrynthitis then Vestibular Neuronitis. I am beginning to wonder if all my problems have been down to having low iron reserves due to all the stuff I am reading on this board.

I have been taking liquid iron for a couple of months now but do not feel any different. I know it takes a while to get into the system and I know I am probably not taking enough. I have been taking liquid iron, six 5ml spoons per day, each spoon has 7mg iron in it. I have changed this to taking one slow release capsule which has 24mg in it plus two spoons of the liquid stuff. Does this seem ok? I am taking a brand called Feroglobin and I am terrified to overdose on this stuff! Is it really ok to take more than the recommended dosage listed on the packet?

Also, those of you who have suffered dizziness, at what level was your ferritin when you stopped experiencing these symptoms? I live in hope!!!

Thank you.

Mac2

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2008, 06:53 AM   #2
    StephRabin
    (female)

StephRabin HB User
    Re: Ferritin and dizziness/balance

I think there might just be hope for you afterall. I have had episodes of dizziness for years. SO much so that I have been to the er on several occasions. Since I am not anemic it never came up on cbc and they always sent me home with 'anxiety' because of the way I described it I guess. Dizziness, loss of sense of reality, pressure in my head, heart racing, etc. I think now it is definitely different than anxiety. i never felt anxious, just sick. After I had my baby (11 months ago) I started to get these dizzy spells more often, and just felt generally uneasy, and terrible. Tired but unable to sleep, etc.

I dont know about your doses of iron. That stuff has never made much sense to me. But there are ladies on here who do know about that. WHen I was first diagnosed with IDA the doc gave me 325 ferrous gluconate 3x a day. Then when I was 'out of the woods' so to speak they moved it down to once a day. But my ferritin was still low at a 1 when they told me to go to once a day.

My guess is I feel better when my ferritin is around 30 or above. I had it tested a few weeks ago. it was 28 and I was feeling better when I had the blood drawn. But then I started to feel gross again after three large tubes of blood were drwan. My mil says tubes of blood wont make you feel worse, but I think when youre teetering on the edge of a normal ferritin, just a little blood loss can make you feel bad again.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:46 AM   #3
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Mac2--Welcome to the boards!!

You are not on near enough iron to replete your stores of 10 (which is borderline/no iron stores) whether you are anemic or not. Anemia is the final end stage of iron stores and you are very close. This may be a lot of your problem. There is only one way to find out and that is to replenish your stores and see if the symptoms self correct, if not, you will know to look elsewhere. It's a long hard road for some, so try to be patient.

I think that you will feel much better if you get more iron. I now take 150 mgs of elemental iron daily to replenish ferritin stores, was on 300mgs when anemic. You should ask for a script or find an iron that is higher and easy on the GI tract verses some harsh OTC irons that can make some people really sick.

It is so worth the oral iron therapy, I cannot express to you the difference in your "quality of life" if this is from low stores. I started feeling better and having energy but fatigue remained at a 20ish ferritin. Every time my ferritin raised, I felt even better.

Whenever you have low iron levels along with another underlying condition I think that this condition may become worse. Sometimes you have more than one thing going on and will only know why when you rule out the iron problems. Best of luck to you. Keep us posted. FLFLOWERGIRL

The Following User Says Thank You to FLFLOWERGIRL For This Useful Post:
    ddelpriore (01-23-2012)
    Old 11-25-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
    robinegg
    (female)

robinegg HB Userrobinegg HB User

Hi
    If your ferritin is low I would also suggest having your folate and B12 checked low B12 can cause dizziness and loss of balance amongst soo many other symptoms too........
    There is alway a cause fo low ferritin mine was within normal range but on the bottom end of that range it has come up since having B12 therpay I had a severe deficiency which was caused from celiac....

Good luck

Old 11-26-2008, 06:22 AM   #5
    Mac2
    (female)

Mac2 HB User

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

StephRabin, I also get the head pressure and palpitations. I was sent to a counsellor in the early days because my GP said it was all anxiety (which I knew it was not), and she dismissed me after 20 minutes and said I was definitely NOT suffering from anxiety!!! GPs are too quick to label people instead of just listening for once! When you say you feel better with your ferritin at 28, does your dizziness actually go at this stage? I can cope with all the other symptoms but this dizziness affects your life an awful lot! If I could just see the light at the end of the tunnel it would be so good!

FLFlowergirl, can you tell me exactly which Iron you take? And what is this 'elemental' iron that you all talk about? Sorry to seem so ignorant!

Rainbows End, that could be a good idea, as I do think that my problems may be solely down to not absorbing iron from my diet properly as I have eaten a very good diet for the last few years and should really be getting enough iron from the food I eat.

Could you enlighten me as to what this celiac is, thank you. Four years ago when I started with all this dizziness/balance problems I was quite ill with severe diahorrea, and lost two stone in weight over a few weeks. Since then (I have managed to pile all the weight back on!!!), but never have properly formed stools (sorry to be so graphic).

Take care

Mac2

Old 11-26-2008, 07:19 AM   #6
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Mac2--I was also told that I had anxiety as a cause of numb and tingly sensations and neck pain, this is NOT the case. They did manage; however, to give me health anxiety problems when I would have to see the (white coats!), but I am over that now.

The type of iron that I take is OTC, but is kept behind the pharmacy and goes under many different names. Mine is Poly Iron 150 with 150 mgs of elemental iron which is the actual iron amount that your are getting. For example, with ferris sulfate it say 325 of something like that, I don't remember but you are only actually getting 65 mgs of elemental iron in each dose so you really have to read well to know what you are getting.

With your symptoms you may indeed have Celiac, but if you are planning on being tested I would not stop eating gluten ( a protein found in grains such as; wheat, rye, barley and possibly oats) until after testing, it will skew results. I did this through my GI doc they know which ones to run. The tests to ask for is a Celiac disease panel not just one or two it is not complete. It consists of: TTG antibody IGA), IGA serum and Gliadin antibody (IGA). The so called gold standard is to have a small bowel biopsy to confirm blood results if test they are positive. If you are having bowel problems you should probably have a Colonoscopy at this time. Best of luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 12-28-2008, 01:09 PM   #7
    tibby2
    (female)

tibby2 HB User

hi,i too have this horrible vestibular stuff,i feel disconected from life and myself,foggy hazy eye feeling,cognative issues,buzzing in the head,floaty, ,anxiety,(which is caused by the symptoms),i feel clogged up in my face ,kinda behind the eyes,and also some mild pain with it.ive also had a few attacks of vertigo in the past.i also have a low ferratin..which was 20 about a month ago. dropped from 43 in the space of just over a month..the first time i discovered this iron problem it was at a level of 7.and after a few months of iron treatment my cog fog certainly improved hugely.the recent drop caused me to feel horrendusly unwell ,with all the above symptoms coming back stronger than ever,plus sleeping for hours after the slightest exertion plus depression to boot. I do not know if the low iron causes these symptoms,as they first came on after a rapid prescription drug withdrawal some years ago.But i do know for sure that with my still sensative cns if my iron gets low these symptoms intensify massively.The problem with this vestibular stuff,is that what is already a mine field in terms of looking for causes etc,is made even more of a minefield by not being able to think straight while you are trying to work it all out!
    i occasionaly have days where all these syptoms seem to mirraculasly dissapear,and i have the total luxury of being able to see life through clear eyes,which makes me wonder if there are other triggers also.Does anyone else have "days off"?

The Following User Says Thank You to tibby2 For This Useful Post:
    Monetg98 (10-22-2011)
    Old 12-28-2008, 01:18 PM   #8
    8monthslater
    (female)

8monthslater HB User

I have the ear problems too. My ears ring, my left ear hums, they both feel like they get fluid in them. I am taking prescription iron 3 x a day prescribed by a GI doctor who was very concerned about my low ferritin. It was a 10 when I first got tested. Last time it was a 17, that was about a month ago. I am interested to see if it is going up. I have another appt in Jan. The GI did not want to do any other testing, he just wants to see if I can get my iron up or if I am having absorption problems. I am hoping all of my ear stuff will clear up as my ferritin goes up. It is my most bothersome symptom.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:21 PM   #9
    tibby2
    (female)

tibby2 HB User

well thats good they were concerned ,most gps here will say ,oh well your not anemic,so you shouldnt be feeling ill at all!thats what one said to me when i was on 7..i felt like death warmed up! lol

Old 12-28-2008, 01:25 PM   #10
    tibby2
    (female)

tibby2 HB User

ps,my iron loss is due to periods,you should have your b12 checked too

Old 12-28-2008, 05:20 PM   #11
    mbbasketball
    (female)

mbbasketball HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post
    Hi

I have been reading through the posts and see that a lot of people with low ferritin levels also suffer dizziness and balance problems.

I have suffered these problems for years now and every time I catch a virus my problems escalate. (Maybe because my body is trying to dip into my iron reserves which are just not there?) My ferritin levels are 10 though I am not anaemic.

I also have a few of the other symptoms mentioned by many of you i.e. hair loss, palpitations, chest pain.

I have had many visits to the ENT over these last 4 years but nothing has been found regarding my ears. My doctor, however, insists that my problems are because of my ears, I was initially diagnosed with Labrynthitis then Vestibular Neuronitis. I am beginning to wonder if all my problems have been down to having low iron reserves due to all the stuff I am reading on this board.

I have been taking liquid iron for a couple of months now but do not feel any different. I know it takes a while to get into the system and I know I am probably not taking enough. I have been taking liquid iron, six 5ml spoons per day, each spoon has 7mg iron in it. I have changed this to taking one slow release capsule which has 24mg in it plus two spoons of the liquid stuff. Does this seem ok? I am taking a brand called Feroglobin and I am terrified to overdose on this stuff! Is it really ok to take more than the recommended dosage listed on the packet?

Also, those of you who have suffered dizziness, at what level was your ferritin when you stopped experiencing these symptoms? I live in hope!!!

Thank you.

Mac2
    You may also want to get your thyroid(TSH, Free T3, and Free T-3 and antibody tested). When I problems started about 4 years ago, it was due to anemia. I had heavy periods, bleeding ulcers and having 5 kids over the years ran my system down. No doctor ever tested me for anything until I was at death's door. I was finally dx with hypothyroidism, ulcers, and heavy period, and absorption problems which I do not absorb iron or vit at all.
    It is a shame that you have to be almost dead for doctors take you seriously.
    I also had sinus problems and finally had sinus surgery. I still have dizziness when I my sinus acts up. But my ENT told me that my eyes are not connecting signals to my brain. Also found out that I have herniated c spine disc which also causes dizziness. The only thing that works really well is half a Xanax for the dizziness. My ENT says it helps to calm the nerves in my head/ear.
    Your ferritin should be at least 50 according to my hematologist. My hair stops falling around 70. The only way I can get enough iron is by infusion. You may want to get your basic test at your PCP but a hematologist can help you with your iron. They know more about ferritin levels than a PCP.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:24 PM   #12
    8monthslater
    (female)

8monthslater HB User

I am taking B12 (did shots weekly for 1 month and am now doing sublingual 2 -3 times a day). My B12 was almost 600 (I can't remember the exact number) but I guess it could be a little higher. I have had 3 abdominal surgeries ( 2 c sections and 1 fibroid removal) + 4 miscarriages, 2 healthy pregnancies, and nursed 2 babies fora total of 3 years (all of this within the past 6 years). I will have further testing if my ferritin does not go up enough by end of Jan. I swear I am feeling a little better though, so hoping everything is on the upswing. I am pretty sure that the reason my iron stores got low was because of all of the surgeries and pregnancies.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:27 AM   #13
    tibby2
    (female)

tibby2 HB User

i think you are right about all the ops etc,i would have to eat half a raw cow every day to get my iron up.once your stores are that low i believe it must be very hard to get them back up from diet alone,my diet is healthy and varied,but clearly the blood loss is too overwhealming.i also have had 2 c sections,and misscarages,and always hemmorage badly.but this was years ago.i wonder if i just never got my iron up suficiently after this.interesting how the b12 is considered low at 600?mine was 394 last count,it seems to vary from country to country as to whats considered deficient?i believe they dont treat b12 definciency here untill you are at 200!

Old 02-25-2009, 03:16 PM   #14
    tibby2
    (female)

tibby2 HB User

hi mac.i stop feeling dizzy at around 40 and above.tho I still have other symptoms mildly. I recently got up to 57.the highest its been,for around 18 months.i was ok there,but know I could have felt bettter.
    frankly,this ferratin / period stuff is starting to get me down big time,and i wondered if anyone has the problem of their ferratin constantly going up and down due to extremely heavy & irregular periods?i have been on iron for about 18 months ,yet even with the suplimentation after every bleed,i am left pale,& ill, the change in me after yet another period is quite dramatic.does anyone else expierience similar issues?I have bled heavily for ten days,after the feratin result of 57 and feel terrible now,am breathless,anxious,(even though i am quite happy!)low energy,foggy headed,aches and pains ,wobbly , head & sinus pain,digestion stuff.
    this is all so tedious,as its very disruptive to my life...i am hoping to find a salution in the merena coil soon..would so apprieciate any feed back..

Old 02-26-2009, 03:34 AM   #15
    Mac2
    (female)

Mac2 HB User

Hi Tibby2

Nice to hear from you. I don't know if you have picked up on my other posts but my ferritin which was tested a couple of weeks ago after taking supplements for 5 months was only up to 22! I am still feeling like c*** and have been off work for 4 weeks with terrible dizziness and balance problems. Life sucks! Can't wait to get up to a level of 50 and see if I feel any better.

I think that an attack of Labyrinthitis started all my problems. That lasted six months and occured 4 years ago. I have always, since 13 years old had heavy periods. They used to last seven days but in the last few years have only lasted 3 days but have been really heavy. So, I think my ferritin levels may have been low for years before this attack of Labyrinthitis (ear virus which actually causes dizzines, balance problems, anxiety etc.). Obviously when I got this ear stuff, my body would have tried to dip into my iron reserves to help me recover and they just weren't there. Since I was first ill, I completely changed my diet to a good healthy one with lots of veg, fruit etc. I think this is why I am not actually anaemic. So, the battle rages on - every time I get a silly little cold or something the dizzies take over my life. I also think that this is not still Labyrinthitis (which my docs insist it still is), because a) they have never found anything wrong with my ears, b) I have not suffered from anxiety since the first attack (which is classic with inner ear disorders) and c) it is very rare to keep on suffering like this with Labs (4 years now).

In answer to your question, I have seen it mentioned lots of times that ferritin levels go up and down but I don't know what causes that. I know that when I have my period I am like death warmed up and feel so tired. I'm not good at knowing when I am actually due but I can tell because the day before it comes I am so unbelievably tired. This lasts till a few days after it is over and then I start to feel normal again (as regards the tiredness).

I can only sympathise with you as I know exactly how life limiting this all is. I am sitting at home at the moment, unable to work, bored out of my skull and sick of feeling dizzy. Do you have to work?

Take care

Mac2

Closed Thread