It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Lexapro and Klonopin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #1
    Carol72
    (female)

Carol72 HB User
    Lexapro and Klonopin

About a month ago, I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. Subsequently, this past week I was diagnosed by a therapist as having Depression related to a medical condition and generalized anxiety disorder.

I have been taking 10mg daily of Lexapro for about 3-4 weeks, and I was taking 0.5 mg daily of Xanax for the anxiety during that time as well. Knowing Xanax can be very addicting, I just asked my doctor yesterday to switch me to Klonopin. She agreed it was a good move, plus the beneficial effects of the Xanax seemed to be starting to wear off (I was also taking it to help me sleep at night).

I am now on Lexapro 10 mg a day and was prescribed Klonopin 0.5 mg up to 2 times a day if needed. I was nervous how it would effect me during the day (drowsiness at night before going to bed is fine) so I took a half pill this morning and plan to take a whole one tonight before bed. I also had Xanax pills left over so I took a half last night with the whole Klonopin so I didn't just cut the Xanax cold turkey.

Now I'm hearing all kinds of stuff about how Klonopin can be just as addicting! I just don't know what to think anymore....

I would love some insight from those who may be taking Klonopin and/or Lexapro and have maybe had experience with Xanax in the past. Is it a good idea that I'm overlapping the Xanax and Klonopin for a few days....not necessary?? How long does it take to feel the benefit of the Klonopin??

I feel OK since taking the half pill this morning (not sluggish, sleepy, drowsy at all)....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
    aqua774
    (male)

aqua774 HB User
    Re: Lexapro and Klonopin

I have heard of people taking Xanax for 10 plus years. If you dont take it everyday you will feel the effects every time and it will help. My doc says if it works then keep it up. Just alternate dosages and timing of dosages and it should keep it in check. Although he wanted to start me on Lexapro as well but i am afraid to start it after reading about all the side effects.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
    Carol72
    (female)

Carol72 HB User
    Re: Lexapro and Klonopin

I had minor side effects when I first started taking Lexapro, but they have subsided now and I've only been on it roughly 4 weeks.

The only thing I experienced was night sweats and headaches (which were easily remedied by taking Motrin or Tylenol). I know another side effect can be weight gain, but I haven't experienced that yet either.

Closed Thread