It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Beauty & Cosmetics Message Board

• Oily skin -- good or bad?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-31-2008, 12:50 AM   #1
    HurtfulWords
    (male)

HurtfulWords HB User
    Oily skin -- good or bad?

I have a question - Is oily skin bad? I mean I have an oily face but I never break out. Is the oil good for your skin or what? What are some good things to know about it?

I hope this isn't too off topic?

Last edited by mod-anon; 12-31-2008 at 08:00 AM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2008, 03:15 PM   #2
    Sillygrl
    Inactive
    (female)

Sillygrl HB UserSillygrl HB User
    Re: Oily skin -- good or bad?

I have oily skin as well. I complain about it all the time and my mom always says that oily skin is good for your skin. She says I wont get as many wrinkles. She has a sister who is ten years younger than her and she looks younger than her! She says she has always had oily skin and that is why at age 58 she has like no wrinkles.

My mom may or may not be right, but hope this gives you some ideas.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I agree! Everybody I know with oily skin that is older says it helps them NOT get wrinkles. If it isn't causing breakouts, I wouldn't worry too much. If it's creating a lot of shine, try Clean & Clear oil absorbing sheets. Just make sure to not wash your face TOO often or that can cause your skin to produce even more oil. I wash my face twice a day and some people are fine with only once a day.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:05 AM   #4
    hollie0210
    (female)

hollie0210 HB User

As long as you don't get pimples from it, oily skin is good.

The only negative I can think of is that you tend to get larger pores because of it. But that can be solved by using pore refinning products.

I wish my skin is more oily. I have dry skin and it is really uncomfortable during winter and I have always use a lot of anti-wrinkle products.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
    Colinette
    (female)

Colinette HB User

I agree. I have always had oily skin my entire life. I am now in my late 40s, and for the first time ever, I can tell that I need a moisturizer on my face.

It sucks when you are young, but it sure does help as you get older!

By the way, don't forget to moisturize your neck. It's probably not oily, and you'll be glad you did!

Old 02-28-2009, 08:46 PM   #6
    catheryn
    Veteran
    (female)

catheryn HB User

I used to have oily skin when I was a kid/teenager/early 20s and I never broke out. Now my skin is dry and sensitive (except my t-zone in the summer) and I break out like a bugger around my nose and I get random blemishes on my cheeks here or there (I'm almost 30). My skin is in great shape though because I moisturize A LOT and I've been told I look about 10 years younger than I really am. Still, my skin requires a lot more care than it did because of the dryness (exfoliating, moisturizing, dealing with tightness, etc...). I'd give anything to have my oily skin back: if I got any shine I'd just use the blotting papers the body shop carries in green tea (I still use them on my forehead in the summer) and all was well.

So I'd say you're lucky to have oilier skin! Beats dry skin! Just get a matting gel/paper and you're good to go. A lot easier to deal with than dry skin (and looks better too in make up!).

Old 03-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #7
    Flutterbye77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

Oily skin does not prevent wrinkles. Wrinkles are caused by the breakdown of collagen, oily skin does nothing more than give you a bad complection. People with oily skin generaly have large pores in which they never have really nice baby soft looking skin, as seen on someone young.

Closed Thread