It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Buspar, anyone?!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
    BreathNoMore
    (female)

BreathNoMore HB User
    Buspar, anyone?!

So I went to the doctor today to discuss with him some anxiety issues I have been having. Over the past few weeks, I have been experiecing EXTREME panic attacks, insomnia, and anxiety. So severe to the point where I've had to call off work, I've become socially withdrawn, and my depression is worsening. I am currently taking Celexa and today my doctor prescribed me Buspar to treat anxiety. He originally wrote me a prescription for Xanax, but said that he didn't feel comfortable combining Xanax with my particular anti-depressant. I've been doing a lot of research on Buspar and from what I've seen, not many people have been satisfied with the results and complain of very intense side effects. Recently I was raped, and since the assault, my anxiety has become unbearable, (flashbacks, nightmares, constant worrying and anxiousness) yet I have read that this medication is only effective for mild anxiety. I'm really desperate to find some relief because my anxiety is just awful. I was wondering if anybody else here has taken Buspar, and if so, did it help? Any advice would be wonderful.

*~Krystal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
    ljenner831
    (female)

ljenner831 HB User
    Re: Buspar, anyone?!

I have been taking Buspar for a little over 2 years and love it! It has had no bad side effects for me and has helped calm my anxiety!

Old 01-14-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
    violet312s
    (female)

violet312s HB User

Also on Buspar but a low dose. Love it, love it, love it. No withdrawals if you miss a dose, non-addicting, fantastic.

I'm also on an SSRI but as those take a while to work the Buspar tided me over. Now I like it because if I'm in a bad spot I can take a bit extra if needed and it won't become addicting like Xanax.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

I actually just read up on it. Says it's not so good at treating SOCIAL anxiety, and doesn't stop panic attacks, but it's good for Generalized anxiety symptoms. Damn, i was going to ask my doctor about using this too, guess i wont now.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:51 AM   #5
    itburns2004
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

PTSD. They have soooo many groups on this topic. Group sessions are really helpful for this. You have been through a lot and an understanding friend can be soo helpful. Buspar is the best of the meds, ithink. I took it for a couple of years, and weaned right off it. The benzodiazipins are soo damn hard to wean off of, so if buspar works, go for it. That with therapy and time will hopefully help you a lot. Be patient with yourself, you have been through enough.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #6
    Daisy74
    (female)

Daisy74 HB User

I am so sorry to hear about your recent trauma. Have you considered going to any sexual assault support groups or 1-1 therapy with a counselor specializing in trauma? It might be good to speak with an expert, and/or get the support of others who are dealing with the same thing.

As for the meds, I say give Buspar a try. I'm on it, and like it in general, but find it dulls my affect a bit (not interested in the usual things, kind of blase in general). There are lots of good antianxiety meds out there though. The one thing I would worry about with the Buspar is that it is said to take up to 3-4 weeks to take "full" effect, and your anxiety sounds severe. If you're not helped by buspar and your doc is not responsive to that, find another doc. Best of luck to you, and God bless you.

Closed Thread