It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• why does the pain in my feet get worse after I am off them for awhile

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-01-2008, 10:36 PM   #16
    Aussie100
    Veteran
    (male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User
    Re: why does the pain in my feet get worse after I am off them for awhile

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sidekick01 View Post
    Thanks Woondog
    My pain is bad at night but for some reason becomes almost unbearable for the first few minutes when I first stand up on them. To the point where I can hardly stand or walk. This is also the same in the daytime when I have been sitting or resting for a short time(1/2 hr. or so). Any ideas why this would be??Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again....
    ........................................ ........................................ ..........................
    Could be poor blood circulation, before trying to stand, maybe if you try some feet exercises & wiggling your toes for a few minutes to increase blood circulation.

Aussie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2008, 03:12 AM   #17
    Sidekick01
    (female)

Sidekick01 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aussie100 View Post
    ........................................ ........................................ ..........................
    Could be poor blood circulation, before trying to stand, maybe if you try some feet exercises & wiggling your toes for a few minutes to increase blood circulation.

Aussie
    Thanks Aussie, Doesn't seem to make a difference . Have tried the exercises before standing and maked no difference. Very frustrating

Old 01-03-2009, 08:45 AM   #18
    marklew
    (female)

marklew HB User

hello i am new to chat forums but here goes. i have had neuropathy in my feet fo 12 years now. after 10 years i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. my pain is getting worse. i like you have some weight to lose and so far have lost 4 stone but i am finding that my pain is getting worse and my balance is even worse resulting in me falling down the stairs and using a walking stick to stop myself falling. has anyone got any ideas to stop me going crazy at home.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #19
    marklew
    (female)

marklew HB User

it sounds really bad but it is so nice to hear of others with the same problems as myself i have been thinking i was weid but i'm not i want to tell everyone that i am normal. the burning at night i have found putting my feet in a bowel of really cold water helps. in fact it is so wrong but oh so nice

Last edited by marklew; 01-03-2009 at 08:52 AM.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #20
    woondog
    (male)

woondog HB User

Marklew: Some diabetics, like you, develop an imbalance. I don't have that aspect
    of peripheral neuropothy . I read recently that you can gain your lost imbalance by practicing standing one one leg and increasing the time gradually until it disappers.
    Only read that once so am not sure of it. You have intense pain...get thee to a doctor and
    get some pain medication. That should do you for awhile. Also, three other
    suggestions....exercise, exercise, exercise. Walk on a tread mill....that's just for
    you because you can hold on to sidebars. Increase your speed and incline gradually.
    And, I am not too computer savvy but if there is anyway you can review all the
    previous blogs re: pn,I would do it.

the woondog

Old 01-05-2009, 03:55 AM   #21
    marklew
    (female)

marklew HB User

thank you for your kind remarks. unfortunatly i do take very strong pain killers and even in hospital recently i was on morphine after a major opp(not feet) and even morphine didn't take all the pain of my feet away. i have lost 4 stone, i have another 3 to go. also i find the more i walk the more pain i am in. if i go shopping in town with a friend or even walking around the corner to the dr's i suffer later infact i am then up all night in more pain than i can described. i have started going to a pain management clinic and they started me on a new drug Cymbalta 30mg which took the pain away but i slept for 18 hours a day and was doopy the rest of the time. so quaulity of life was nill. i stayed on them for a week then came off them. i have narcolpsy and even my meds for that was not able to keep me awake. i have tried everything you suggest. i have been suffering for 12 years now and even asked the pain management dr if i could have both feet of, she said the pain would be worse so i opted to keep the feet. this web site has helped me because i don't feel a freek anymore. sorry about the long response but it is good to talk to people who REALLY know how you feel and i thank you.

Last edited by marklew; 01-05-2009 at 03:56 AM.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:53 PM   #22
    woondog
    (male)

woondog HB User

one reason, not the only one,why you might have more pain when you're laying down
    is because your mind centers on the effect of the pain while in bed but when you are
    out and about or exercising, your attention is diverted to what you are doing rather
    than the pain. the woondog

Old 01-07-2009, 07:09 AM   #23
    marklew
    (female)

marklew HB User

i understand what you are saying, but i can be out and about and want to take my shoes and socks off because the skin on my feey is sooo sour taht it hurts to even breath on them. to look at my feet when they are at their worst they look almost opaque, and feel as though they are frozen but burning at the same time. i know that doesn't make sence. which is why it is soooo comforting to read other peoples threads and see they are having simular problems. i don't let these **** feet stop me, i still go out and shop with my hubby and friends, i just pay the price later and it is worth it. my dr says i am only still walking and not in a weelchair because i am too stubben.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:52 PM   #24
    woondog
    (male)

woondog HB User

Marklew You are really suffering...I know that I considered having my feet cute
    off about 10 years ago, but, even though you amputate, there might be "phantom paid"
    They you are screwed and relegated to a wheelchair. Please ask your doctor
    to give you Dilaudio,2 pills per day,am and pm, and two tablets in the am of
    Nortryptilene. I've been taking that for about 8 months and I have pain in my
    feet only about 8 times in 8 months.Before that, I would get it every other day and
    it would last 24 hours : Such pain......agony......no wonder they call it lightening
    strikes. Keep the faith. Perhaps they will come up with an a cure.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:29 AM   #25
    bethvt
    (female)

bethvt HB User

I believe the pain in my feet is worse in the morning because they get warm overnight. I've started waking up and letting my feet cool down a bit before I get up and that seems to decrease the sensitivity some. I don't have the intensity of pain that you do but maybe this will help a little.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:44 PM   #26
    woondog
    (male)

woondog HB User

Well, it seems to me that you have reached some success with your condition.
    I am sure you will agree that while you are sleeping most of the time, you are at
    least free from pain and I'd take that over being sleepy. Although we are
    co-sufferers, I can feel your pain and will say a prayer that you are finally freed
    from PN. You are truly suffering. Tell me something, what is your pain like.
    Is it all the time or does it occur at about 20 second intervals? Is the pain so
    sharp that you double up with pain? And, once more I will ask you to try again
    to go on a treadmill for a wekk. Take the cymbalta if you must. Start with 15 minutes
    and every day, increase by 5 minutes. From what you write, you are suffering from
    the condition anyway, you might as well suffer while on the treadmill because at least
    you are doing healthy stuff with a possible reversal in your pain condition.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:39 AM   #27
    marklew
    (female)

marklew HB User

i hav tried doing the tread mill and while i am walking there is no pain, the only symptom is the balance get worse the more tied i get, but, and there is always a but, when i stop walking the pain is excriutating. it is like having the worse pins and needles pain you can imagine but all the time. i do get lightening pain as well, it makes me double up and when i am sat with my feet up i get what my children call happy feet, because my feet start jumping on ther own. no pain in fact it tickles, sometimes it hurts, when i have been out walking . i have learnt to live with it and now i know i'm not a "freak" i can live it. my dr kept telling me the pain would stop that people normarlly only had pain for 2 years and i told him he had better tell my feet that because i think the last 12 years my feet having been listening.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #28
    SNOOKERED
    (male)

SNOOKERED HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sidekick01 View Post
    why does the pain in my feet get worse after I am off them for awhile?Ihave been diagnosed with PN which they say is due to undiagnosed diabetes type 2. At times I can barely walk due to the numbness and pain.
    I can't address "why", but I can help with how to control pain.
    Do you have a liver disorder or HepC? HepC can cause peripheral neuropathy. It is not hard to dx diatetes either.
    So, if you have these liver issues try not to use morphine or percocet of all things.Even if you don't have liver disease try to avoid narcotics as a relief of the symptoms.
    Try these suggestions; ask you Dr. if he would give you a prescription of Gabapentin. Start of with 2x400 p/dy. It has done wonders for me. Must take them as prescribed.
    While in pain try freezing a 50% mixture of Isopropyl Alchol in a zip-lock bag and apply to feet. This will alleviate pain.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:06 AM   #29
    marklew
    (female)

marklew HB User

hi at last some one who agrees with me the best thing i find for my feet is to sit with them in a bowel of very very cold water. some times at night when they are really bad i sit downstairs and watch old movies. i have my own washing up bowel for my feet. i have to sit with my feet in at when i have been shopping. i haven't got liver problems , i have a very good dr who keeps a close eye on me. i have all the drugs i can have, i take 8 in a morning and 8 at night and 2 at lunch time. all though you all are across the water from me i feel you are close as you all seem to understand and try to give help to one another

Old 05-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #30
    Capewind
    (female)

Capewind HB UserCapewind HB User

Wow you know a great deal of helpful info and express it clearly! Thanks again. Aussie100

Last edited by Capewind; 05-09-2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Meant to respond to Aussie100 info on cell functions and supplements.

Closed Thread