It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Giving up on Paula & topical creams/washes..., Please read my reasons & respond

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-08-2003, 09:52 AM   #1
    knut

knut HB User
    Post Giving up on Paula & topical creams/washes..., Please read my reasons & respond

Well, despite everythign that Iíve said in my previous postsÖ., Iíve given up on Paulaís choice and most other anti-acne product. ((by the way I am very fair skinned and get very oily. I already take ortho tri cyclen for b/c ))

I was using Neutrogena Pore refining cleanser AM and PM, followed by Paulaís Choice BHA liquid 2%; then 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide, then extra strengh BP on my spots.

Well, that wasnít keeping my breakouts away. I already eat pretty healthily and even supplement my diet with fresh juice and flax oil every day. So, I started looking for other options to use on my face. I know that I just made my face worse. I started just getting desperate and stupid and over applying and using everything like all at once.

I tried replacing the cleanser in the PM with the Loreal PURE cloths that were medicated with salicylic acid. Didnít help.

I tried putting on epsom salt on my bad areas. Didnít help.

I tried my old prescription cream Azelex again. Really didnít help. It didnít hurt my face before, but this time I think that I had used so many drying things on my face that I was a huge dry red mess all day long.

Well, a few days ago, I just decided to let it all go. I was using my half way version of this ďacne cureĒ for long enough that I should have at least started seeing some long term results; and I wasnít. I tried to keep telling myself to just give it more time; but my face was getting worse.

So, now I am only washing my face with a new Dove gentle cleanser for sensitive skin. It says that itís non-comedegenic and wonít clog pores, so I just have my fingers crossed that it at least wonít cause me any problems. Then I put on the Olay Regenerist serum.

I actually went out and bought the Olay complete moisturizer for oily skin and was going to start using itÖ., but I think I am going to wait a while. Just stick with the Regenerist serum.

Then I am putting tazorac (since the BP didnít help out any) ONLY on my actual pimples that I have. When Iíve used this before, I used it on my entire face, now weíll see the reaction to using it only on the pimple itselfÖ.

Anyway, last week I went to a natural health chiropractor ( I posted about this). He told me that my adrenal gland was weak and to avoid wheat. He gave me Adrenogen pills to take Ö.; hereís some info on them:

((((Adrenogen provides nutritional support for adrenal function by combining high quality nutrients that are involved in hormone regulation. The body's adrenal glands produce stress hormones, steroid hormones, and blood pressure-regulating hormones.
    Raw Adrenal Concentrate (BovineÜ) 80 mg
    Pantothenic Acid (as D-calcium pantothenate) 50 mg
    Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine hydrochloride) 25 mg
    para-Aminobenzoic acid (PABA) 25 mg
    Riboflavin 10 mg

The maker of this vitamin is Metagenics. Looks like you can only get it from a participating health practitioner Ė canít buy it OTC.

Anyway, so I just wanted to post today to give this information and also so that I could follow my own progress and see where I am in a week or so.
    Iíve been taking the pills and avoiding bread and wheat products since about the beginning of this month. I was doing pretty good and started to see some improvement in my face (no new spots for a couple days) until Monday came. I had a hangover Sunday and ended up getting junk food from McDonalds. Well, as of right now (three days later) I have like 8 very large hurtful pimples mainly around my chin (like canít cover these things up with makeup AT ALL). I would say that 4 or 5 of them definitely came about within a day or two of eating the junk food.

Itís just so weird. I mean, Iím not saying that WHOA; I ate a chicken nugget and it completely broke out my face because it was fried in wheatÖ..; but there has to be a connection. And before anyone may think the whole ďthereís no diet/acne connection" Ė I just want to say that is completely bogus. Not only have I read the reasoning behind it; but Iíve also tested it on myself. I fasted for a week and cleared up COMPLETELYÖ, then started eating again and broke out terribly. So, Iím proof. It just looks like maybe Iíve found out that my connection MAY be largely related to wheat products.

The doctor also tested me for sugar and I didnít have a negative response but itís possible that sugar is part of my problem also. I mean, of course, there is sugar in bread and sodas.., and also in the alcoholic drinks that I had Saturday night. I normally drink red wine and Saturday switched up to cosmosÖ., lots of cosmos. So, maybe that played a part also.

Anyway; Iíve just done a lot of reading on the cause of acne and what using all of the harsh products actually do to your skin and figured that if by now; these products werenít doing any good, then they may be part of my on-going problem. Using products that are too harsh or are used to stop the production of oil and get down into the pores can just make your body produce more of the sebum and oil to compensate.

Iíd love to be able to post the areas that I get this info from because I donít do a good job in explaining it. If there is anyone that can do a better job; please do. Iíve spent a lot of time reading posts (new and old) on this board, looking for answers.

Iíve come to the understanding that we are just a bunch of sufferers that donít know what to do, and just look for the next product to buy , or what pill to take or not take, or want to argue about what to eat or not eat. The truth is; for the most part, the people that have cured their acne by doing something besides taking pills are not on here. Weíre not getting much help here. Donít take me wrongÖ., Iíve learned a lot and have gotten much support from the kind people on this board that have replied to my posts. I guess Iím just rambling now, so Iíll stop. If anyone has anything to add; please do. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2003, 12:43 PM   #2
    jagdm27
    Inactive

jagdm27 HB User
    Hey Knut! Isn't acne just a big pain in the ***!!!!!!!!
    It is the biggest mystery known to mankind!
    What works for one may not work for the other . And it can be exhausting looking for your own cure! We are all made up the same in ways, but in other ways not even close. So, that is why we all have different reasons as to why certain things bother our faces more so than other things, Whether it be food, drinks, topical medicines, or just all the crap we continously buy hoping it will make it all dissapear! I feel your pain!

I have a question for you. I saw that you bought Dove for sensitive skin, I was thinking about buying it today and I wanted to get an opinion. So, what do you think?

Well, cheer up it's almost the weekend and all I know is I love Cosmo's and I plan on having one or two this weekend!!!

Old 10-08-2003, 01:32 PM   #3
    knut

knut HB User

Hey Jag; thanks again for the support. Yeah, it is the biggest pain. I really wish that I was stronger and had better self esteem so that it wouldn't affect the way that I act when I am broken out. I can tell that my mood way changes. I become more moody and introverted than I already am!

I was watching the news the other day and there was a girl on there that had much, much, worse acne than me. Her little face was just covered. Well, here she was, on TV, looking so confident about herself; no makeup, bright smile...., I was just very impressed. Admired her, even if it was a front. I always want to hide and not go out anywhere (especially to work; well, I don't want to be here anyway of course!! )

Anyway, about the dove...., it is the non foaming cream cleanser. I do like it; it feels very good. The only thing is that since I've started using that; and stopped with the other stuff; my face is back to being more oily. I think I could fry a chicken with what's on my face right now! ...not an egg - a chicken!

Aren't cosmos goooood ???!! It's hard to find a place that make them just right though. Luckily I have a lot to chose from around where I live!! Wahoo!!! there's one bonus. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif If I can't have clear skin; I'll just drink until I THINK that I do. hehehehe

Old 10-08-2003, 01:41 PM   #4
    jagdm27
    Inactive

jagdm27 HB User
    Now your talking! I agree that not everybody can make a great Cosmo, but luckily where I live I know all the best spots.

I do feel that if you at least look like your feeling confident even though there are awful growths on your face, then for some reason you start to believe it!
    And maybe then people won't judge or look at you with that stare, basically saying "yeah I am looking at your pimples"! I hate that! That's why it is fun to imagine them with something growing off their faces!!!! Because then that way if you look confident then they won't think twice about it.

Well don't stress it will only make it worse!

Old 10-08-2003, 02:02 PM   #5
    babywarn

babywarn HB User
    A friend of mine who studied health and beauty at college advised me not to use any cleansers/toners/moisturisers as it only makes acne worse. Cleansers and toners tend to dry your skin out so that you produce more oil and hence more spots and moisturises just add to the oil that is already there. Infact she even told me that soap will also dry out you skin. The best thing to do is to use really hot water to wash your face and open up the pores, then freezng cold water to rinse and close pores (its the best toner) If you want to remove makeup (which should be non pore blocking)with a cleanser that is fine just dont leave it on your skin always wash it off. If you use any medicated acne treatment use it after washing face as above and use moisturiser every two or three days if you start to get dry patches on your face. I have started doing this religously morning and night, I'm 21 and have had severe acne since I was 12 and out of everything I have tried this is the only thing that has improved my skin. Panoxyl Aquagel is a good acne cream that you can buy over the counter and Elizabeth Arden do a good range of non pore blocking makeup although it is quite expensive!

Old 10-08-2003, 07:09 PM   #6
    patienceandreward

patienceandreward HB User
    Dear knut,

I remember that you started using Paula's product around early August. If that's the case, it has been about 2 months since you've used BHA & BP. For me, my acne stabilized after about 3 months of using BHA & BP SPARINGLY.

I agree to what you have said about over drying your skin; it will irritate your skin and produce more oil. As a result, you acne may get worse.

Personally, I feel that you have used too many potent products that irritated your skin. No matter how suitable a product is for your skin type, if your skin is irritated, it cannot benefit from that product. So, if BHA & BP were supposed to work for your skin, it probably would stop working when your skin got so irritated.

Old 10-09-2003, 08:02 AM   #7
    knut

knut HB User
    Babywarn; I havenít heard of the panoxyl aquagel; what is it?

Patience;
    Thanks for your input. Iíve read your posts and that was one reason why I tried to keep telling myself to hang on for a while longer. I had been using the BHA and BP sparingly until maybe two weeks ago. My obsessiveness started when I would get a couple huge nodules and figured that if I put the 10% BP on them; instead of Paulaís 5%; then maybe they would help up quicker. Well, I tried that and nothing. All I got was this big crusty pimple; that was still there, just all dry and ďwrinklyĒ if you willÖ

Anyway, then I figured that I would put the epsom salt on these areas (pretty much around my entire chin) and maybe that would help to draw out whatever was in there. I just donít think that did much; and Iím sure that it dried out my face more. And then of course, I would still wash my face like normal and use the bha and bp.

Then I got the bright idea on putting on the Azelex cream one day. I just did this once; but I think that this is what just put me over the edge and I said I was just going to forget it all.

Did you have improvement at all at your two month mark? I just figured that if I was still getting these big gross things on my face; that the regimine wasnít helping me and wasnít going to. I would have better days/weeks during the last couple months; but then, sure enough, some huge break out one morning when I woke up.
    Thatís why I think that maybe the BHA and BP just werenít going to do anything anyway.

Old 10-09-2003, 03:01 PM   #8
    knut

knut HB User
    Patience;

What is your thought if I only used the bha?

Kept using the gentle cleanser, then the bha. Would it do anything without the bp as the second step?

Think it would reduce oil? Would it irritate, just by itself?

Old 10-10-2003, 08:34 PM   #9
    patienceandreward

patienceandreward HB User
    Hi knut,

My goodness...just reading what you have put on your face made my face feel irritated http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif

I remember that during the 3rd month, my skin would be good for a day or 2 (no 'new' acne). Then, new acne, especially whiteheads, would appear. Usually, around 5-10 new ones every once a week. It was not fun, but what got me through was looking at myself in the mirror as little as possible. I had so much confidence in my regime after doing months of research that I didn't want to give up. Also, I had no other choice, unless I wanted to go back to Accutane, which was definitely not an option for me anymore.

To answer your question, stopping everything and just using BHA may not be a bad choice, especially if your skin is still irritated from all those harsh products that you had been using. I think you can try that for 3-4 days to let your skin settle down. Then, if your skin is not irritated, you can try the 2.5% or 5% BP on just your bumps (pls. don't use the 10%). If you want to play it safe, you can use the BP only on the worse bumps (i.e. cyst or really big whiteheads). That way, if BP is not suitable for your skin, you don't have much to lose.

Old 10-10-2003, 10:24 PM   #10
    BlueGreen

BlueGreen HB User
    Don't be so hard on yourself! Trust me, I know that acne is terrible, but I have also noticed that the more I try to do (topically) to prevent it, the worse it gets! I noticed in the last year or so that whenever my skin gets really dry (like when I develop little flaky patches) thats when I get cysts, those nasty painful unpoppable beasts! But, when I don't get too dry or irritated and avoid flakiness I still get pimples but they resolve themselves quickly and painlessly. I think that drying your skin out too bad makes it not only more greasy, but also more succeptable to larger infections. Some poeple are more sensitive than others. I use a variation of the 'acne cure' method and as long as I don't forget to use a really light moisturizer (I like complex 15) I avoid the huge cysts. The weather just changed here from really hot and humid to really cold and dry and my skin got flaky and then, guess what! Two HUGE cysts. Alas. Acne dies by drying it out, but if you dry too much you get more acne. I hate acne, but perhaps in the long run it has made me a more sensitive and understanding person. Good luck. By the way, panoxyl gel is just an over the counter benzoyl peroxide gel. I think it's a pretty good one, but I also think solugel is better.

Old 10-11-2003, 06:00 PM   #11
    FargoUT
    (male)

FargoUT HB User
    I gotta go with Patienceandreward here. Nothing has kept my skin as clear as Paula's Choice products have. Not even Accutane (kept me clear for two months and then I stopped taking it and acne came back). The problem is... you were using Neutrogena's Pore Refining Cleanser, which is excessively harsh on the skin (it also contains salicylic acid and I believe an AHA as well). I used it once and hated it.

I now use exclusively Paula's Choice products. Skin Balancing Cleanser for oily skin, Liquid 2% BHA solution, 2.5% BP cream. That's all. I use Neutrogena's Healthy Skin Face Lotion at night to exfoliate surface skin. It has done wonders. I also apply Oil of Olay's Regenerist Serum now to help clear up the scarring and inconsistent tone in my skin. So far so good.

Problem is, people want immediate results, and truth of the matter, there is no such thing. Never has been, probably never will be. It took a month of solid routine usage for this regimen to clear my skin up. I can eat whatever I want, whack off whenever I want, go out in the sun whenever I want (I just ordered her sunscreen). Anything I do now, I can wake up in the morning and feel pretty secure with my face still being clear.

Old 10-12-2003, 01:10 AM   #12
    optio230xxx

optio230xxx HB User
    HMM if your not willing to go on accutane, then I suggest you cut down on what you use. Simply use a face wash once or twice a day.

Old 10-12-2003, 08:33 PM   #13
    knut

knut HB User
    Patience, well the first two months, I applied everything sparingly. I had improvement at first, but then started getting huge nodules and cysts. No whiteheads. I wish I could have just stopped looking in the mirror, but, I am just very self concious and was getting very depressed (and desperate; which lead to being stupid) about my appearance.

After I stopped using everything and only was cleansing my face with Dove, I got very, very oily again. Like, I didn't feel like it was getting my face all that clean. So, the other day I bought a St. Ives tea tree oil cleanser instead. It's doing a very good cleansing and taking care of the oil and doesn't leave me dry afterwards. I looked at the ingredients, and it does have chamomile and salicylic acid in it; but really, it doesn't feel like any other the other acne washes that I've used.

As of right now, I'm just using that and the regenerist serum. I'm also not eating wheat products and taking the adrenal gland supplement. Right now, my face seems to really be improving. It doesn't look as "angry" and inflamed and I haven't gotten any new spots in a few days. My face actually feels soft; but of course I have the old spots that will take a long time to still go away...Like I've said before, I'm very pale and so every little thing stands out on my face. I get a purple/red mark from every spot that I get. I'm hoping that the regenerist will fade them all.

Bluegreen - you're right. I know what you mean about acne making you more sensitive; that's 100% true!!! And you're also right about all the stuff I was doing to myself. I am sure that the more stuff that I was putting on my face was making it worse and worse. But, like I said, I just got desperate and wanted to do anything to make it better. It's so frustrating to not know what is causing the breakouts. While I believe that food is a factor; I know that I eat healthily and take supplements so I was at a loss for what could be the problem. It's possible that I wasn't getting enough B vitamins (which I am taking more of now). I've also switched birth control pills. I've been taking Yasmin for a couple days now instead of Ortho Tri Cyclen. The doctor told me to take Bactrim for a month while starting it to help clear up the infection that I have now and possibly avoid the "intial breakout" that many get with Yasmin. I was really scared of that; because when I think of my face looking this bad or worse a month from now; I just get sick. I mean, it's hard, because I'm not a vain person. I'm very, very down to earth and simple. I don't like bringing any attention to myself, I just wanna blend into the background (kind of a social anxiety thing). So, I feel as if this problem doesn't let me do that. Also, the fact that the holidays are right around the corner and taht I'll be around many people plays a factor.

FArgo - you're right about the cleanser. That might have been my first problem right there.
    p.s. Glad to hear about the whacking

Oh, and Optio - I've been on accutane before and didn't want to go on it again.

Sorry for the very long post; I just wanted to address everything that was said. Thanks.

Old 10-13-2003, 08:02 AM   #14
    knut

knut HB User
    Feeling much, much better today. And it's a Monday!!!!

Well, last week was terrible. I was on the verge of tears just about every day. I didnít go anywhere except for work and home. I wasnít myself. I couldnít relax. I had a constant attitude and was short-tempered about everything. I know that I may be extreme when it comes to the effect that acne could put on a personís mental attitude/self esteem/outlook ---, but thatís where I was at.

Well, today I am in a good mood. I feel SO MUCH BETTER today. I know that I started taking the Yasmin and the bactrim on FridayÖ.., but I really feel like taking the wheat out of my diet and taking the adrenal supplements have made a HUGE difference.
    I might have completely cleared on my own without taking the bactrim (and switching to Yasmin, who knows).

Of course, I donít know how Iím going to like Yasmin, or if it will make any difference (good or bad). Iím hoping that if nothing else, it will reduce the amount of oil that my face producesÖ, but you know what? It might be partically due to the diet/pills, but I really, really like that tea tree oil washÖ., my face feels really soft and not dry at all Ė anywhere. Iím already less oily than I was last week.

So, Iím still tracking my own progress, not eating any wheat and taking my supplements.

Hopefully, by this time next month Iíll be clear, and even though Iíll stop taking the bactrim, Iíll stay clear. I want to be able to eat wheat againÖ., maybe not a lot; but itís hard finding meals/snacks without having ANY. I mean, you can only eat so many dishes made with riceÖÖ.but Iíve done it alright. Lots of fruits and nuts, chicken/rice/broccoli, chili (with and without rice), soupÖÖI havenít gotten around to actually cooking and making more elaborate meals, but I plan to. I just try to remind myself that there are people with celiac disease that CAN'T eat any or else they could get sick and die..., so I know that it can be done; I just gotta stick with it.

Itís nice to be starting to feel like myself again.

Old 10-13-2003, 10:46 AM   #15
    FargoUT
    (male)

FargoUT HB User
    Good to hear! And good luck. I hope it works out for you. I've noticed that dealing with acne has made me an extremely superficial person. Now I need to fix my soul.

Closed Thread