It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• low cortisol and Welbutrin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-26-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
    renee2109
    (female)

renee2109 HB User
    low cortisol and Welbutrin

If someone has low cortisol would that cause extreme fatigue and head rushes and could Welbutrin help it or mask it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
    eclypz
    (male)

eclypz HB User
    Re: low cortisol and Welbutrin

Quote:
    Originally Posted by renee2109 View Post
    If someone has low cortisol would that cause extreme fatigue and head rushes and could Welbutrin help it or mask it?
    Those two symptoms are included in a low cortisol diagnosis but it could be for many reasons. Are you currently on Wellbutrin? Wellbutrin will increase Norepinephrine levels but if your cortisol is low you will not be responding well to it. Have you discussed this with your doctor? What blood tests have you run? Do you have any other symptoms?

Old 01-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
    renee2109
    (female)

renee2109 HB User

funny you should say that... the wellbutrin made me beyond anxious. The 1st Dr. I went to for the debilitating fatigue he ran a bunch of blood tests and said that the only one he would pursue would be the cortisol because it was a little low...then went on to say it would probably come back normal and it was really expensive. When I said that I had been under an extreme amount of stress a few years back he replied with "Well John McCain was a POW and he does not have adrenal fatigue why would you?" so.. I did not go back to him. I then went on to an OBGYN who did some hormone test...all fine then on to a Dr. that specializes in Auto-immune ....again all those came back fine. So I went ahead and started seeing a phychatrist who has put me on two anxiety medications. the ammount of time he is spending with me for the cost is like nothing. I did tell him yesterday that i still think there is something physical as it does not matter if I am on anti-depressants or not... I get head rushes all the time and ringing in the ears... and the fatigue... still there. I am hopeful that he will get to know me and back me up so I can get a Dr. to really take me seriously. And we had just applied for Blue Cross/Blue Sheild and I was declined because I was taking Wellbutrian since Aug of 2008 with plans "seek counseling" they are calling it depression. My cortisol level was 8 and I don't know if it matters or not but I had just done a 60 minute advanced workout on an elliptical before taking that test that morning.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:24 AM   #4
    eclypz
    (male)

eclypz HB User

Renee,

1) Cortisol tests should never be performed after doing any kind of physical activity. What you probably did was to falsely elevate your cortisol levels during the test by exercising like that. A cortisol test, especially if it's a one time blood test, should be done with as little stress as possible.

2) John McCain was a POW. That much we know for sure. How would any of us, even his own doctor, know if he did? It's something you often have to look for because as human beings, especially men in the case of McCain, we have an amazing capacity for self-abuse or self-discipline as the military set would put it.

Besides, your doctor's comment is no better than something like this:

My grandma eats sweets all the time and doesn't have diabetes, so why should I get it because I eat sweets?

Bottom line though is it sounds like you're getting bullied.

3) If you want to be taken seriously by your psychiatrist this is going to be a tough road. It's not that doctors don't have heart. They do even though the natural alternative world wants to paint them out as evil monsters. The truth is they're just slaves to their training, just as much as anyone else is. They were taught that a certain way is a certain way. They also deal with plenty of people who come in complaining of fatigue when they really just need a simple adjustment of their life.

The good news is that you have cortisol period, as indicated by your tests. It may be Low if you get retested but it's there, unlike Addison's disease which is where you are at right now in this forum.

What I suggest is that you save yourself a lot of money and begin educating yourself on the subject. Find a doctor who WILL listen to you. This will most likely be an endocrinologist. There is a good way to find out quickly if this doctor might be up your alley. Call their office and ask the attending nurse to find out how the doctor feels about armour thyroid. It's a brand of thyroid medication. It also happens to be a very non-conventional treatment these days. Chances are if the doctor says he/she would prescribe Armour then you've found someone who is going to be more open to what you have to say.

If you really want to take this an extra step, go buy a copy of "Safe Uses of Cortisol" by William Jeffries. Learn everything you can about this. So when you see a doctor you can bring this book and let them read it.

Beyond that, perhaps you should join a forum that addresses adrenal fatigue, which is different from Addison's disease. A great deal different.

best of luck to you!

Old 01-25-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
    renee2109
    (female)

renee2109 HB User

Thank you so very much. I have been so confused...looking for at least a starting point and you gave me much more then that. You have just done me a HUGE favor. God Bless you for that. I will go find a forum for adrenal fatigue. :-)

Old 01-26-2009, 07:47 AM   #6
    eclypz
    (male)

eclypz HB User

glad I could help!

Closed Thread