It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Whats normal post op

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-28-2009, 03:59 PM   #31
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
    Re: Whats normal post op

Marcia you are amazing. I am blessed to call you friend.
    Girl everytime I start to have a pity party I feel to darn ashamed thinking of people worse off then myself. I have to admitt I am clueless as to what I am suppose to be feeling. You know the surgeon talks of weaning off my meds & then I think I should not be in this much pain, you know.
    It gets scary when you start to feel some old pain return. In all honesty I know I am doing stuff in my sleep, you know twisting turning, stretching, you name it. My husband keeps telling me I am all over the place. I have tried valium & will keep at it. I think I will try to baricade myself in, kind of like what your talking about. I have tried the recliner, I just keep moving. Dont you remember when my rehab doctor ordered me to sleep there & my husband found me with my head hanging off the end. I managed to turn all the way around with out waking up. Thats pretty bad.
    I am nervous here. My pain level is up & I did manage to really torch my neck while in that aspen.
    Then my dog jumped up on the head of the recliner & tipped me upside down. I was actually laying there upside down. Freaked my daughter out. I was scared to death to move. I am putting the darn dog in weight watchers,lol.
    Maybe this is normal, I hope. I am thinking maybe it can get worse before it gets better, anyone know? The weather is really bad & my monthly is contirbuting to my overall back pain. My arms hurt to much to lift today & my entire back hurts.That had my husband worried. I have had this tingling right ou against my spine in the upper back. I just hope that C 7 is not going to still cause problems & wish the surgeon would have just worked on that while he was in there but for now I am just going to try to think postive. I have alot going on in there & I know that, who knows maybe the problems in the lumbar are making it alittle harder. I would be happy just to know. I just have to take it one day at a time. I still manage to count my blessings, I am lucky to be here & blessed to have such good friends.

With my husbands layoff I only have so many months of cobra & thats what has me so worried. I feel I have to get better or I am in trouble. I have an appointment on Feb,5, we will see what he has to say. I swear I have been resting more & trying to behave myself & I feel worse.
    Marcia I do plan on trying to get those reports from the surgery when I go in for my next visit. I am curious to see whats in them.
    Capt I hope all is well & wanted you to know I am thinking about you.
    God bless & thanks Marica, Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2009, 01:58 AM   #32
    captnanny
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

captnanny HB User

Hey all,
    I'm here and depending how tired I am in the morning I will post. Today I woke up with my neck feeling bad. Like stabbing bad but not like emergency. That pain is gone I am real stiff. I am going to be with the kids today and this may be my last day. So on one side I wish I wasn't going through this pain so I could enjoy them but on the other side I just don't want this day.
    I too am worried about finances and it is the monthly time so I am fighting and fighting post op depression. I have been very angry and frustrated. I wish the stabbing or read sharp pain would go away. It's weird 'cause it is in my shoulder, left and just right on the scar. They said that is all muscle and post op pain. Some of it too is my hair growing back. I never thought of it itching. Yuck. Oh well I try to take things a day at a time and think about the first two or three days of pain and realize I am not in that much pain anymore thank god.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:45 AM   #33
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

ah yes,the recliner behedding debacle. i remeber. ya know, if you actually took two pillows and duct taped them to each side of the recliner in that laid back posistion,right about where your head would be at,that could help you. OR,plan B, tape the two pillows together with a long long piece of duct tape or two(just leave only enough space for your upper body/head area to fit between them so they are not too loose?) so you can lie in between the pillows but they would be anchored 'underneath' you,and to each other? do you know what i mean? that way,the pillows would be attached and you lying on top of where the duct tape runs,the pillows wouldn't fall out of the recliner. do you get the picture here? as long as it is up towards your head,you would not even be able to flop your head around. the would kind of "hold" you in one place,as well as that head that likes to play little happy dance games while you sleep. you could also place or tuck in a towel or two next to your head if there it too much room there too. towels really come in handy for stabilizing my body and head while i sleep. i don;t know how i could even begin to sleep without my c spine really being fully supported this way.

just some suggestions for ya hon. you simply HAVE to stop moving that head/neck around some how,some way ya know? try it and see what happens. good luck tonight hon, Marcia

Last edited by moderator2; 01-29-2009 at 07:02 AM.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:11 PM   #34
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Aw Capt your not alone, I am really struggling here. My pain is not going down & I just dont know. My back hurts pretty bad & I am really worried.
    I am really trying to have better sleep habits & have been resting more so I dont get it. My family is under alot of stress & I am miserable. My sister wants me to come & stay with her for awhile & at this point I may do so. I am almost afraid to go to my appointment this week, heck if the surgeon tells me this is not normal I am not sure what I will do. This is tough. I feel worse then my 2wk post op thats for sure. I have some pain in my neck/throat area I am sure that at least my be normal. I dont feel I can function right now & am curious if anyone else felt this way, I am about 6wks post op, anyone else feel this way?

Old 02-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #35
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

Hello sammy , I have been reading your posts, not answering much because I have been limiting my computer time, but watching your progress.

I want to give you a dose of reassurance and maybe a few little pointers from me. I myself have really been through many trials over the past couple years and have come to understand these spine problems so much. I totally get where you are at. On my second more significant surgery, it took me many months to get the pain under control.

First, I would say no matter what happens, whether your end game is no improvement or 100% improved - you will not know that for many months, maybe even a year or two.

In complex spine correction cases, there are many cycles to go through in the healing process.

1. Listen to your body: Pain is a signal to you that your body needs some care. It could be you are spending too much time on the computer, too much activity, or tension, position changes, etc. It doesn't always mean something is still "wrong". You are healing-remember people heal differently. You also went through a collar change and this affects your position and muscles so allow yourself time to adjust.

2. Pain: There are going to be remenants of pain for you probably long term. Gradually improving and getting under control, but you were kind of a mess prior to surgery and that magically doesn't go away. The surgeon worked to correct the problems, worked to make sure it didn't continue rubbing and stuff where it was. First you have to go through the healing process, your nerves will wake up and say "hey here I am still". These pain signals may take a while to reset, the inflammation may take a while to improve in your body. If you are still using prescription, you might faithfully try to take it as prescribed and not wait to hurt and see if you can break the pain cycle. The thing that I ended up doing about 3 months post-op is to get an ESI injection to help flush out inflammation post-surgery and get steroids in there directly. That helped alot so you may come to that if your pain doesn't go down by then.

3. Stop constantly focusing on it. Your job is to take care of yourself, rest, eat sleep and the kind of exercise your surgeon allows. Your mind will focus on what you allow it to and sometimes we can make a problem even bigger by giving it too much attention. I would like to challenge you to give the next 2 weeks a little break from worry about the pain, or if something is still wrong, etc. Just take really good care of yourself and relax and treat the pain with the medications you are prescribed, rest, heat, and comfortable positions. In fact maybe go stay with your sister for these two weeks and let her take care of you if that is possible.

Take it easy this week, I think your time is coming and things are going to look up!

NP

Old 02-02-2009, 04:27 AM   #36
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks NP that does reassure me. I think the surgeon mentioning weaning off my meds has me confused. I went off one of my pain meds & the surgeon right away told me & my husband to have my PM work on weaning me off my other. That had me thinking perhaps this is not normal. My PM doctor did not even mention it yet. He believes there are some muscle issues. Also the fact that I hurt more now them 2wks post op threw me. I am resting more. I was constantly lifting my arms up to so something, I thought that was doing me in. Rough being short sometimes,lol. Its mostly back & shoulder pain & some spasms. I am going to try to take something during the day today for the spasms to see if it helps. I dont usually do that because of taking the other meds. I try to stay busy & not worry about it, busy as I can while resting. I realize with alot of things it can get worse before it gets better.
    My sleep habits are not helping & that does not take a genious to figure out. I was turning clockwise in the bed, my husband had to wake me up just to get in. I had the same problem with the shoulder surgery, wanting to move around all the time in my sleep.

Surgeons appointment thursday we will see what he has to say. The back pain I did not have so much preop so maybe its just something I will have to get through. Its the not knowing that gets to you. Bless those of you who have went through this numerous times. Thank you so much, I will be reflecting on what you have said here. Sammy

Old 02-02-2009, 07:47 AM   #37
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hey sammy,NP just gave you some really great advice. would a visit to see your sister be something you could actually do at this point? honestly hon,i do think just a big change in scenery and having someone ELSE, not you,taking care of YOU for a change would just do you a world of good. you just really need some total relaxation and rest too ya know? just something to ponder. i do think seeing your sister and spending time with her,espescially after suffering such a huge loss that both of you can relate to,well,just think about it.

as far as the surgeon saying he will be weaning you off,or having the pain you do and worrying about it,all the surgeon has to do is really understand where you are still at with this whole thing and what hell you went thru not having the(appropriate) fitted collar you needed,and he wont try and get you off of them too overly quickly. they are simply still needed. he HAS to know how bad things still can be,even at six weeks(get those op notes hon so you can ask about things at the appt). that isn;t alot of time surgically and for what you have had to deal with ya know? this is why you need to know just what in the heck he did during that surgery and any remarks he made about how much worse this was than he thought too.

another thing NP was right about is the steriods. you simply DO have alot of inflammation,espescially with the way you tend to sleep comnined with that ill fitted collar. it may be too early yet for an actual ESI at only six weeks,but he can rx you the medrol dose pack. my surgeon had to do this post op with my second surgery since i was just dyin up in my shoulder and lower c spine(i just knew at this point that it WAS a horrid inflammation and i did need some kind of steriod help). we didn't know at that time tho but my surgeon,when he placed the hardware with that second surgery,actually somehow managed to get hold of my c7 nerve root and had it kind of wrapped around the dang pedicle screw up there. i didn't know about how that nerve actually was til my GOOD wonderful NS up at the U or MN did my tri level lami to get into my cord. its even in my op notes that he "unwound" the c 7 for me. that saved me another surgery right there.

i am sure you do have alot of inflammation at this point so i seriously would ask your surgeon about the dose pack. when i mentioned to my surgeon about steriods and non fusion(this was the only concern i had about possibly trying it),he said one round of the dose pack would not affect the overall outcome. so i did try it and it did help me tons and bring down some really horrid inflammatory type pain. just one suggestion that i know would help some and possibly keep it away. it kind of depends on just how much is actually inflammed as to how well this would work,but it is an option i would bring up with your surgeon at your next visit.

have you tried the recliner with the pillows yet? i hope all goes really really well at your next appt hon. think about that little vacation too. hang in there sammy,hopefully things will get much better soon for you. just work on those op notes too. Marcia

Old 02-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #38
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mar, I am indeed going to ask if I can try the steroids. As I am really in alot of pain. pretty much the same as you, upper back & shoulders. Could not touch or lie on my left side as the pain was kind of wrapping around to the front. My left arm has been really bothering me the last couple days. I was shocked at how bad it hurt this morning.

As far as the pain meds go I will tell the surgeon that my PM is thinking that there may be some muscle involvement so I will leave it up to him to work on the med situation. God knows I want off the dang things. I agree, there has to be alot of inflammation in there, Its getting worse, have to try something.

I am at my sisters & using her jacuzzi to soak in, I may just move in,lol. She is not home much at all but I can rest more here then at home. I cant seem to ignore laundry & such piling up when I am home. I really need to work on this OC problem. I also was still trying to deal with work from home & that was causing me to much stress. I was really starting to get depressed & just wanted to sleep & constantly on the verge of tears. I really felt this was something I had to do.
    I do want those surgical reports. From what my family is telling me the surgeon was concerned with the C7 & if not for the mess he found he would have fused it. The C4 is not as bad. Yet when I ask him at the first follow up I never got a direct answer, what he told me is not what he told my family. I am tired of the guessing games, you know. I need to know if the 7 is going to cause me problems. Since I am off the Avinza I am feeling alot more lower back pain so I am going to pressure the PM to get that MRI done soon as I can. At least I'll know whats going on. alot easier to deal with things when you know.
    I'll tell you no matter what I try I just move in my sleep to much, I really am mad at myself. I'll keep trying different things.
    As far as the reports I am not sure if I should request them from the surgeons office or the hospital, what do you think? I probably need to get the preop from the surgeons office. I want every single report concerning that surgery that way if the monitering of the nerves is on another report I will receive it. Always amazes me what you read in some of these reports that the doctors never reveal.
    I understand that I am early post op & I know I was a mess before just dont want anymore problems so if there is a chance the steroids may help then I'll try it. Geez I feel like a chronic complainer here but I am tired of pain. I dont want to increase or go back on anymore pain meds, the surgeon should understand that I hope. god bless & thanks for your support, as always. Sammy

Old 02-06-2009, 02:13 AM   #39
    Nicole74
    (female)

Nicole74 HB UserNicole74 HB User

Sammy, I'm so sorry you are in so much pain. I can't read this whole thread. I see my surgeon on Monday and I don't want to know the outcome of the surgery. Not yet anyways. My biggest fear is being in more pain afterwards and not having any sort of pain management after. I hope you are feeling better soon!

Old 02-06-2009, 08:33 AM   #40
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nicole, I want you & everyone to know that I am different. Meaning I was misdiagnosed for so long which we believe is making this harder for me, & alot going on in there then even my doctors realized. There are alot of successful surgeries I am learning & I am excited for everyone of you that has that success. Dont get discouraged because of my situation, as we are all different, think positive & know that you have a chance at getting better.
    In your case Nicole if your this worried perhaps asking you PM to see you through till you know how your surgery will go. Mine is doing that now & it does ease my mind alot.
    I want you to know that the pain I had right before surgery is either better or gone. This is different & still I am glad I had this surgery thus far.

I feel abit more optimistic as my surgeon said yesturday that this may be normal for me. I have to rest more & no he would not give me anything to help such as steroids.
    I will have to just take it one day at a time here & pray no real nerve damage is done.
    He knows there may be some mucsle issues to. The guy actually trapped me into admitting somethings I did not mean to admitt,lol. I will be more careful in the future.
    He did make an interesting comment on the collar I will let you know in the future have to run for now. God bless,Sammy

Old 02-08-2009, 08:14 AM   #41
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammy??? are you out there hon? just have not heard from you in a bit,and of course am concerned. i did PM you,did you get that? marcia

Old 02-09-2009, 06:33 AM   #42
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

No Mar I did not get any PMs from you. I wonder why.
    Not feeling good. Not sure why. honestly I have not felt to hot since shortly after surgery. Having alot of abdominal pains & wanting to sleep alot, in fact thats most days, all day. No clue why as did not feel any of this preop. How about anyone else, go through anything like this post op?
    If I do anything my upper back hurts like mad.
    At some point if this continues I will have to make an appointment, I am trying to hold off, as you know how I feel about doctors . I did not bring this up to the surgeon thinking it would just get better.At some point I will start a new thread, as I am curious to see how others progressed that may have had more of a challanging recovery. I did order my surgical reports so I should have them hopefully this week or early next. I will keep an eye out for those PMs. god bless, Sammy

Old 02-09-2009, 07:53 AM   #43
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sorry to hear you are feeling like crap hon,are you running a fever,or just feeling achey and crappy? there is always some level of nasty stuff that is going around too,ya gotta remember that,you could have picked up something ya know? you are more vulnerable post op since your body is trying to heal too. by the by here hon,you DO need to bring up everything to your surgeon, just so they know what it is you are feeling and can make certain you stay comfortable too.

you have also been on alot of narcotics that you weren't before that surgery,and some of it is probably just some depression too considering every dang thing you have been thru sammy, seriously, it HAS been a horrid year for you. but your still here safe and sound,but still in the healing phase too.

one thing i wanted to mention about surgeries in general? our 'hope" is that whatever we are having surgery for will simply "fix us" and we just get on with our lives. well,in alot of cases,it doesn't just go that way ya know? i have had something residual left behind to have to deal with with every single surgery i have ever had(six and counting,and an aneurysm coiling just for the heck of it) but that is just me,most people get on with their lives and everything is back to normal. this was my hubby after his fusion was done. right back to work and the FD and everything was fine once his hip got rid of the pain from using his own bone,that part took the longest to actually heal and the pain to subside from. but everything was just fine,so i of course figured mine would be the very same too,but he did not have to deal with a little glob of blood vessels that was bleeding into his cord either. that definitely changed alot of things for me. but the majority of surgeries DO eventually do what they are supposed to do,you heal and things do get better. we place sooo much hope on our surgeies that when things simply don;t go as WE planned,reguardless of the situation we are healing from,we can get angry AND somewhat depressed too. i think this is where you are at hon,really. BUT the one huge thing that i don;t think you are giving enough credence to is the very simple fact that you never were able to properly rehab that shoulder properly post op.

honestly sammy,my shoulders and i mean BOTH right now are still a mess,with just finding out on friday when i saw my myo guy for the very first time since about mid dec,that i somehow(do not have a flippin clue as to "how' this occured) but i managed to impinge BOTH ulnar nerves in both shoulders. i do know when and how i did the left one but my right is a freaking mystery to me,my right IS my surgical shoulder. i was waking up woth horrid bone pain as well way before this crap started. when i think of what I amd still dealing with here having actually been able to fully reahb my shoulder,i can only imagine just how much real pain and how badly your ROMS are being affected 'just' becasue of that surgery with no real full rehab,ya know? i KNOW without a doubt sammy,that this HAS to be at least aprt of your ongoing pain and muscle crap you have been dealing with, just based upon how mine has been for me. heck,i even LOST some ROM in my rehabbed shoulder just becasuse of not being able to keep up with the release for the past two months. it just keeps giving me alot of upper back and bicep area pain and those sucky little trigger points,even behind my shoulder up above the armpit? unreal, not 'just' in my back any more or my neck,now we are doing it to my arms??? but that is where that ulnar runs,up from the arm,thru the armpit and up the back of it to the c spine. makes sense now that i found that out. i actually woke up on thurs morning,the day after i impinged that left one,with my entire hand in a stuck clawed posistion, i have not had that since rehab post op from my spinal cord surgery(this is how the fine motor muscle loss decided to show itself). that scared the freaking crap outta me let me tell ya. it was also totally numb too. eventually i was able to work it back to normal but man was THAT ever a freakshow from hell. that ulnar c 8 area is the exact level of my spinal cord injury too so that kind of scared me til i saw that wonderful myo guy of mine and found out it was not at the c spine level,but within my shoulders themselves. believe me,that was a huge 'whew". but this is all going on with my and my shoulders so i just wanted to tell you this and that what you are more than likely feeling,is the overall effects from two seperate surgeries located within a very close area. so don;t get too down and think this is all your c spine and that something is really wrong sammy. it may just be the combo of the two,and your nighttime upper body dance routines you do so well,lol. you have just been thru hell sweeie,its going to take some time to get back on track with everything. if you really are feeling somewhat depressed at this point,have it evaluated and maybe at least temporarily,go onto an anti D for a bit til you get thru this part of things. this really does sound like depression sammy,for alot of different reasons. i did go thru all of this too hon but i just didn;t read the signs that were right in my head and playing out right in front of my freaking face til i simply had like an "i have reached my limit" type of major meltdown in my primarys office one day and he placed me on lexapro. best dang thing he and i could have done. i was simply feeling sooo overwhelmed by all my sons medical crap and my medical crap and things not getting better on MY timetable that it all just nailed me that day after my doc simply asked me,'so hows it going"? boom,everything came out. you have to take into acct sammy EVERYTHING and i do mean everything you have had to deal with this past year,and look at how that would affect a person. you simply have been 'here' now for way too long for two different surgeries that do affect you the very same way, its like a revolving door type thing ya know? you had not EVEN begun to fully heal and rehab from surgery number one,and here we are at surgery number two,ya know?

once you have actually fused,alot of things will change and you can begin to get back on track. but it will take time. everything that is worth it,just takes time,remember that sweetie.

just wanted to ask you if you yourself have gone up to "my settings" and actually enabled yourself to even get PMs? you have to go there and do this in order for it to work and to recieve or send any PMs. i am still confused on that one but trying it. this is all so new,i am sure it will get figured out soon.

just hang in there hon,and if you are not really feeling well,not just the surgical crap? see your primary for a workup, surgery can be very hard on our bodies and the anesthesia also hard on the liver too(you have also been taking in i am sure a bigger increase in your tylenol intake). no one has ever told me that before any of my surgeries despite me having a liver and kidney disease. i found this out from someone else. i researched it and by god,it IS true,go figure. but get things checked out if this really just feels like it could be more than just post op gunk you just need to make sure all areas of 'you" are okay too. i gotta go biofreeze my arms again,god this sucks. just keep me posted hon,take care,Marcia

Old 02-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #44
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mar, I PMed you & my settings say that I am accepting messages, in fact I have received a couple. Did not even know about it until I seen the little message at the top of my screen, I am always abit lost,lol. We will have to figure this out here soon as I have some questions for you.
    Girl I have went off of the avinza & down on the perc. vs right before surgery. Although I did wonder about the ansthesia issue.
    This surgeon thinks I should be down on my dose even more but in the same breathe tells me I may have up to a year to see what is what. yes my left arm/shoulder is really bothering me. I am sure I am some what depressed but I dont think thats all of it. If this does not improve I'll go in.
    Heck trying to get out of doctors whats normal is like pulling teeth. all I get is dont do anything. I did start some small things like laundry & such, he said no more. I am hoping I did not so something stupid. Thats why I am not at home, I am better at my sisters & this is where my daughter goes to school so I have more time with her.
    Keep trying to PM me. There are a couple different "feelbad" screen names is that your full name? We will see.
    Anyone else struggle like this, I sure would like to figure out whats what here.
    god bless you all, Sammy

Closed Thread