It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• my bloodtest results,please help me

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-05-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
    star_light221
    (female)

star_light221 HB User
    my bloodtest results,please help me

Hi
    Hope someone can help me with thid
    i had b12 test and iron studies done
    results
    serum iron,6 normal is (10 to 33)
    transferrin IBC 71normal is(45-750)
    transferrin saturation 9% Normal(16-20)
    serum ferritinassay23ug/L Normal (15 -290

my hemoglobin levels are 130G/L normal 115-160) My full blood count is normal
    liver function normal

then my b12 test
    Serum vitamin b12 Assay 147pmol/L normal is 162-811)
    serum folate assay 11.4nmol/L normal (8.4-55.0)
    red cell folate assay 597nmol/L Normal 545-3370)
    it says the vitamin b12 is in the indeterminate range
    A repear assay with homocysteine and holo TC (active b12) is indicated
    Note. values131-161pmol/L are considered indeterminate and values less than 131pmol/L low
    Could someone please explain this to me
    I am 54 year old and i had graves disease which is now gone
    The doctor told me to eat more iron foods and b12 to see if my levels rise then she will do another bloodtest in two weeks
    I am eating steak and kidney, liver, eggs, yogurt, fortified breakfast cerial and brocalli spinach and other green vegtables
    Have i pernicious anemia?
    I have been suffering from eye blindness and aching twitching muscles

thank you
    star

Last edited by star_light221; 02-05-2009 at 05:22 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: my bloodtest results,please help me

Star--I'm sorry you are going through this, I know it's not easy. According to your labs you appear to be iron deficient without anemia. Anemia is the last stage of the ferritin stores (in the bone marrow and organs) ending with iron deficiency anemia. Your T-Sat % is very low as is your serum iron, your ferritin is barely making it which is indicative of iron deficiency. Although your Hgb is normal, an optimal Hgb for a female is 14.0. Your B-12 will also need addressed with further testing. That is the only way to know what type and reason for your anemia. It could very well be PA in the works. You will need to see your doctor for a DX and more tests. I hope things get better for you soon. Keep us posted. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
    star_light221
    (female)

star_light221 HB User

can pernicious anemia be halted?
    do you know if yogurt with b12 in it will help this problem ?
    Also my tsh was 3 normal is between 0-4 but i am usually 1.1 to 2.6 so its all confusing to me

thank you

Old 02-05-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by star_light221 View Post
    can pernicious anemia be halted?
    I don't think so, it is an autoimmune disease. I really don't know that answer.

do you know if yogurt with b12 in it will help this problem ?
    You would not get enough from yogurt. If you were to be DX'ed with PA you then would need shot of B-12 on a regular schedule the rest of your life. This may not be your problem.

Also my tsh was 3 normal is between 0-4 but i am usually 1.1 to 2.6 so its all confusing to me
    If you have Hashi's then you should be more of a 1 TSH and at least under 2.5 from what I understand. 3 is at the upper end of the new normal range for thyroid. Best of luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

thank you

Old 02-07-2009, 03:47 AM   #5
    robinegg
    (female)

robinegg HB Userrobinegg HB User

Hi star light
    Did you have a CBC was your MCV elevated this can indicate PA along with some other levels in the CBC....

You really need to have your B12 levels treated with some therapy they are way to low and you will not get those levels up by eating B12 containing foods you need injections or sublinguals,..
    Did you have the active B12 tested?
    Do you have any symptoms like numbness tingling,anxiety,eye problems,fatigue,foggy head, muscle soreness, gait problems, irritable, depression,concentration problems ,stomach issues,weakness in limbs , burning sensation......???

Old 02-07-2009, 07:29 AM   #6
    star_light221
    (female)

star_light221 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rainbows End View Post
    Hi star light
    Did you have a CBC was your MCV elevated this can indicate PA along with some other levels in the CBC....

You really need to have your B12 levels treated with some therapy they are way to low and you will not get those levels up by eating B12 containing foods you need injections or sublinguals,..
    Did you have the active B12 tested?
    Do you have any symptoms like numbness tingling,anxiety,eye problems,fatigue,foggy head, muscle soreness, gait problems, irritable, depression,concentration problems ,stomach issues,weakness in limbs , burning sensation......???
    Thank you for your reply
    Well this wed i have another b12 test
    I dont know about the cbc or the mcv what are these? also the active b12, is it just a bloodtest ? if so i will be having that on wed/ what does that tell you about the b12
    Yes i have eye migraine, light sensitivity and weak burning muscles gait problems tummy issues and also i get strange zapping feelings through my body and strange dizzy but not dizzy feelings
    aI have been eating lots of b12 foods, i can only pray it works as i am scared of the injections and maybe having side affects
    tell me about you?
    hugs
    Helen

Closed Thread