It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Reboot Nervous System? Five major spine surgeries...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #16
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Reboot Nervous System? Five major spine surgeries...

so sorry for all that you are having to deal with. i am kind of in that same boat with all the messed up things and disease processes i have going on too.

one big thing here is i think you are referring to things that are NOT related to the actual TENS unit. when someone has to go to a doc to have electorde adjustments made,THAT is the spinal cord stimulator,and not the TENS unit,no way no how. the other thing you mentioned that is also surgically implanted is that medication delivery pump that IS surgically implanted in a specific area that delivers meds intrathecally(meaning at the spinal level) too.

what the actual TENS unit is is completely and totally controlled and applied by YOU,anytime you need it or want it. you take the unit out of its case and you apply those four(you can get a unit with more electrodes but the standard is four)electrodes all by yourself,i place mine so my wires are somewhat crisscrossed so that current goes right into and passes thru my pain area in my knee. NOTHING about this type of electrical stim is surgically implanted in you,nothing.

the best way to obtain this unit is by seeing a PT person who knows about the ins and outs of best electrode placement based on your individual pain needs. she will go thru every step with you so you at least have a clue as to how it works and the very best ways to place those electrodes too. this is what i did with getting my unit. honestly,it is really a simple thing to use and apply and it is also the ONLY thing tht will calm down one of my RSD flares. i would very highly recommend trying it,it works really well for certain people and others not so much,but it should at least be tried anyways as a possible tool to help with your pain. like i said above,this is totally and completely controlled by you at all times. you were just thiking of two totally different things other than the TENS itself. this crap can get really confusing at times,believe me,lol. i just wanted to make certain you kew exactly what i was talking about here. Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2009, 10:17 AM   #17
    chevmal283
    (male)

chevmal283 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
    so sorry for all that you are having to deal with. i am kind of in that same boat with all the messed up things and disease processes i have going on too.

one big thing here is i think you are referring to things that are NOT related to the actual TENS unit. when someone has to go to a doc to have electorde adjustments made,THAT is the spinal cord stimulator,and not the TENS unit,no way no how. the other thing you mentioned that is also surgically implanted is that medication delivery pump that IS surgically implanted in a specific area that delivers meds intrathecally(meaning at the spinal level) too.

what the actual TENS unit is is completely and totally controlled and applied by YOU,anytime you need it or want it. you take the unit out of its case and you apply those four(you can get a unit with more electrodes but the standard is four)electrodes all by yourself,i place mine so my wires are somewhat crisscrossed so that current goes right into and passes thru my pain area in my knee. NOTHING about this type of electrical stim is surgically implanted in you,nothing.

I can't believe this, I have a TENS unit. Have had it since '99. I forgot it's name is all. So when I was reading your post, I was indeed thinking about the inplant devices that I am afraid of.

the best way to obtain this unit is by seeing a PT person who knows about the ins and outs of best electrode placement based on your individual pain needs. she will go thru every step with you so you at least have a clue as to how it works and the very best ways to place those electrodes too. this is what i did with getting my unit. honestly,it is really a simple thing to use and apply and it is also the ONLY thing tht will calm down one of my RSD flares. i would very highly recommend trying it,it works really well for certain people and others not so much,but it should at least be tried anyways as a possible tool to help with your pain. like i said above,this is totally and completely controlled by you at all times. you were just thiking of two totally different things other than the TENS itself. this crap can get really confusing at times,believe me,lol. i just wanted to make certain you kew exactly what i was talking about here. Marcia
    I have been meaning to call the maker and see if a new updated one avaliable. I got to the point of where I could run mine for half hour on level 1 strenght, um, highest. And then on level 9, also strenght highest.

At P.T. presently, they use TENS on me. I remember when placed on me how suprised that I was able to tolerate the highest they were allowed to turn it up to.

All makes sense now.

Save findin' the truth about what is causing the pain.

Peace and thank you.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:01 AM   #18
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

you must have a very different type of model than i do since i can ramp mine up to like 50? i believe. it also has 12 different types of current settings too. i prefer the alternating current for my pain. this sounds like something very different than what i have. just how old is this and what is it called exaxctly. it could be something different from the actual TENS but very similar and only used in PT kind of thing? just very curious as to what this thing is that you have been using since the normal TENS goes wayy past 9 in settings. Marcia

Old 02-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #19
    chevmal283
    (male)

chevmal283 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
    you must have a very different type of model than i do since i can ramp mine up to like 50? i believe. it also has 12 different types of current settings too. i prefer the alternating current for my pain. this sounds like something very different than what i have. just how old is this and what is it called exaxctly. it could be something different from the actual TENS but very similar and only used in PT kind of thing? just very curious as to what this thing is that you have been using since the normal TENS goes wayy past 9 in settings. Marcia
    It's a "Home Medical Services (HMS) Neuromuscular Stimulator."

Frequency: Nine different settings

Intensity: Up to "9"

I've been on the one that is ramp'd up to 30 and another to 50 at PT. Large machines. I'm told the numbers really are relative in the sense that they are same in output.

Then they have what I have, which is small device save they have newer version. I don't use it because I tell them I all ready have it and stick with the larger units just on the presumption they might be better.

In the end, I think they are all TENS units.

Closed Thread