It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Paxil Help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-14-2008, 11:24 PM   #1
    boobo0
    (male)

boobo0 HB User
    Paxil Help

Hi All,

Well it's been awhile since my last post, but I'm sure as many of you know, the battle with anxiety isn't a short term issue.

Here's my latest quandary, my anxiety is at an all time high (15 years into it now), I'm not having panic attacks or anything like that but I can't go anywhere or do anything without feeling EXTREME discomfort. So slowly I have this shrinking boundary of what I can do (which isn't much these days)

This isn't a time in life when I can have this around, I have an 11yr old son and a 8yr old daughter and I feel like I'm letting them down at this point with what I won't do (going places, doing things I'd love to do with them, but the way I'm feeling it is just torture to go through it).

It's even at the point where it's screwing up my work. I've never really had it to the point where I can't even be counted on showing up every day (thank god I'm self-employed, I would have been fired long ago, lol). But that's where I am right now.

Mid 2007 I started taking Xanax again, I split a .25 mg and take half in the morning and half around dinner. This past May I had to stop splitting the pills and take a .25mg in the morning and a .25mg at dinner time. Some days it seems to help but 50% of the time (especially when you need it) it does nothing.

I not a fan of taking meds to begin with but I'm at the point where the quality of life really sucks now and I have to change it.

This brings me to two weeks ago when I finally went to my doc to say enough is enough! He gave me a script for Paroxetine 10mg one a day (Paxil gen.), and of course I went home to look into it and have seen so much negative discussion on it all I've done is stare at the bottle for 12 days.

A pharmacist said to go ahead and start with splitting it at 5mg a day and see how that goes and not to worry about side effects (I think mainly because of the low dose). Even with the advise of somebody I trust, I'm still having issues making that first step taking it.

Three years ago I tried Zoloft for 2 weeks and I had to stop because it made my anxiety go through the roof. So that experience isn't helping the Paxil cause.

All I've read about the class action suits/hell withdrawals and "brain zap" crap really pisses me off and I don't want to trade one problem with another, but like I said above, quality of life really stinks!

I began counseling last week, and for the next three weeks for them to get an evaluation on me and then have me see a Psychiatrist for meds. if they see the need. After one visit, the councilor said it seems like I'm going to need some sort of medication to at least begin the process of going in the right direction. I just don't want to wait a month to finally get into something, especially with the holidays coming up. I've waited/suffered long enough.

Although I feel like crap, I am glad that I'm at least moving in the direction of getting help, which is the MOST important thing I can do at this point.

So, after drawing you though that, I'm looking for ANY feedback positive or negative (don't worry with any negative, I'll cope with it ) on Paroxetine. Also, any thoughts on St. John's Wort?

Thanks for your time.

BB

Last edited by boobo0; 11-15-2008 at 09:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
    uchan77
    (male)

uchan77 HB User
    Re: Paxil Help

I used to be on paxil for almost 2 1/2 yrs. Started with a panic attack back in 05.

I weaned off of it back in August and my life has been hell.

I was on a low dose....around 10mg )half a pill) a day.

I don't know if it was because paxil was actually working and it kept my anxiety at bay or ...
    if paxil made it worse by messing up with my seratonin levels.

I am now considering going back on. I am fighting tooth and nail to fight off anxiety but its getting worse

Old 02-09-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
    SiberianLover
    (female)

SiberianLover HB User

I was on Paxil for years, started at 10 mg and ended up taking 30 a day. The zaps would happen if I didn't refill my scrip and missed my pill for 2-3 days. If I took it every day, it was fine. Paxil really helped me a lot. I was switched over to zoloft because of it being safer for pregnancy, and I weaned off the Paxil and was fine. Just did it slowly over a few weeks.

Last edited by SiberianLover; 02-09-2009 at 06:44 PM.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
    friendsville
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

friendsville HB User

Paxil...I take Paxil 25mg.once a day.IT MUST BE Controlled Release Paxil.I was taking the
    "regular" Paxil,and it did nothing for me.My relative takes 37.5 mg of Paxil (controlled release)daily,and weighs 125 pounds LESS than me ,and is a female.For my anxiety,
    I took Atavan(Lorazapam),and it helped me immensely.I haven't needed it for quite a while.My main problem now is dizziness which is the devil to solve.It has had me chairborne for a couple of weeks.It suspends LIFE until whenever. I'll pray. Bill

Old 02-10-2009, 08:12 AM   #5
    boobo0
    (male)

boobo0 HB User

Thanks for the replies. I never ended up trying Paxil (just couldn't get myself to do it). My pdoc gave me Prozac (gen.) and today I am at three weeks on it, I'm in a holding pattern waiting to see if it'll work. *Fingers crossed*

Old 02-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
    colby88
    (male)

colby88 HB User

Paxil is considered the most sedative of the SSRI's. As a result, probably first line SSRI treatment for those with anxiety. Of course, everyone's chemistry is different in how they will react so it's difficult to know ahead of time how one will feel on Paxil without trying it first.

I was on Paxil for 6 years for the treatment of generalized anxiety. I started at 20 mg. and then scaled back the last few yrs. to 10 mg. It lessened my symptoms. I didn't have any severe side effects just a few most of the males on it tend to get! Nothing you can't work through though.

About 10 months ago at my last Dr.'s appt. I mentioned that I didn't feel like the 10 mg. was doing much good anymore. I either needed to bump back up to 20 mg. or perhaps try another SSRI. My Dr. mentioned why don't we try Zoloft. His instructions were for me to just stop the 10 mg. of paxil and start on 25 mg. of Zoloft the next day. I was hesitant about not tapering first but the pharmacist also mentionend I probably wouldn't have a problem because I was only on 10 mg. of Paxil. So, I went ahead the the Dr.'s instructions. Well, on day 2 of the Zoloft I started feeling really anxious, couldn't sleep, broke out with a rash on my neck, etc... I just knew it wasn't right. After bumping up after 2 weeks to 50 mg. (per my Dr.'s instructions) of Zoloft with no relief with the sleep problem I went back down to 25 mg. and stuck it out for 3 more weeks. I was pretty miserable and very sleep deprived. I finally told my Dr. it wasn't working out. I wasn't sleeping, and felt more anxious than on Paxil. So, we decided I'd go back on Paxil after a short taper from Zoloft. I was a bit worried at that point and wondered if I just needed to get off the meds completely and see how I felt. So, here I am 10 months later on nothing. The sleeplessness still comes in cycles and some nights I won't sleep at all and other's I'll get 3-4 hours. Then some days I'm fine again. I also have had periods of intense anxiety with some anxiety attacks thrown in when things get stressful at work, etc.... The holidays were especially hard with so much excitement going on that time of year, parties to attend, etc...

I reached the point last week that I was going to go back on the Paxil but now this week I'm sleeping better again and feeling much better so I'm thankful I didn't "cave in" just yet. I'm stubborn and convinced the Paxil I was on for 6 yrs. has altered my sleep/wake cycle and that with a bit more time my body chemistry will fix itself. I keep holding out hope so to speak since I never had the sleep issues before or during my treatment with Paxil. In fact, when I first started taking paxil 6 yrs. ago I remember how great it made me sleep right off the bat.

Some day I may go back on the Paxil after talking with my Dr. I'm not opposed to paxil but I got scared after trying Zoloft and am probably a bit apprehensive of going back on anything right now as a result. I realize my anxiety is here to stay (I've had it for over 20 yrs.) but I also know that some days are better than others and I keep telling myself that with more time I'll be fine. Like I said, someday I may go back on the Paxil and I'll be ok with that too if I feel the need. Only time will tell...

Good luck with the Prozac and I'd be curious if it helps you or not? From what most have said, I've heard it's more effective for depression.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #7
    boobo0
    (male)

boobo0 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by colby88 View Post
    Good luck with the Prozac and I'd be curious if it helps you or not? From what most have said, I've heard it's more effective for depression.
    LOL, great I'm taking it for anxiety and not depression. I will keep you updated on my progress. At 3 weeks, I'm hoping that I'm half way to feeling better.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #8
    toopunkrawk
    (female)

toopunkrawk HB User

Hi there-I was on Paxil for about 3 years. While it cured my depression, it did nothing for my panic attacks. I tried ativan, diazepam, xanax: none of them worked. I was finally put on clonazepam and I haven't had a panic attack since.
    I was able to slowwwwly get the Paxil out of my system (after 6 months of weening off of it; I was at 40 mgs/day) and I think the clonazepam helped. However, benzos such as clonazepam are a double-edged sword-sure they help but they're impossible to get off of. I've resigned myself to the fact that I will be taking this drug for a LONG time.
    I wanted a second opinion so I switched psychiatrist-she felt that my long ago diagnosis off ADD in high school was really bipolar disorder. I've been taking Trileptal and Clonazepam for my anxiety and I must say; WORLDS of difference. My anxiety is gone, my depression is gone (although the drug did take longer than Paxil to start working; about 2 months) and I feel much, much better. If you have any doubts about your meds I recommend; get a second opinion! I felt bad leaving my old psychiatrist but in the end, I'm grateful.
    One note of caution; benzo's are extremely addictive and extremely hard to ween off of. My psychiatrist, actually neither one, has any intention of getting me off the 3 mgs a day due to the severity of the panic attacks I used to have (fainting, cold and hot sweats, dizziness-I felt like I was dying) but I have to say, Paxil worked wonders for me for two years. I could finally talk to strangers and that meant A LOT to me. However, after two years the drug just didn't seem to work anymore.
    Take care of yourself and be aware of how your meds affect you; there IS help out there. You are not alone!

-toopunkrawk

Closed Thread