It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addison's Disease Message Board

• Adrenal Glandular Dosing?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2009, 04:46 AM   #1
    cloud2
    (male)

cloud2 HB User
    Adrenal Glandular Dosing?

I've been taking Hydrocortisone (generic Cortisol) for several years now and picked up an adrenal glandular yesterday. I'm hoping that it's broader component mix might manage my deficiencies better. My MD agrees, but she doesn't have experience with glandulars.

I spent some time searching for equivalents on the web... nothing. My supplement bottle says "Adrenal (bovine) 340mg"... i.e. cortex and medulla. Who can tell me how much of my daily cortisol that should replace?

Thanks!

(I posted this as a reply in the Thyroid forum yesterday and am not expecting an answer there...)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
    cloud2
    (male)

cloud2 HB User
    Re: Adrenal Glandular Dosing?

I've been taking this for 4 weeks now. I made a wild guess at 2 capsules being equivalent to 10mg and have replaced that much of my dose with no signifcant decline in well-being.

I'd still appreciate better accuracy so I can replace more of the Hydrocortisone with a bit more certainty.

Anybody know?

Old 03-17-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
    love2knit
    (female)

love2knit HB User

Yea! I've been waiting to find someone who knows about glandular replacement. I would love it if you'd keep us informed of your progress and whatever else you learn. Thanks, Cloud2!

Old 03-25-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
    cloud2
    (male)

cloud2 HB User

The experiment continues... First, a reference point. I do reasonably well at 50mg Hydrocortisone per day (40mg upon arising, 10mg at lunchtime). I realize that's a LOT, but since (1) I have no symptoms of getting too much and (2) I am needing 2-5x other hormones and meds to get my labs normal on other conditions - i.e. malabsorption is suspected, my MD has kept me around 50-60mg/day for maintenance.

Replacing 10mg with 2 caps of that brand seemed to go ok. A couple weeks later, I replaced another 5 mg with 2 caps. A couple weeks after that and I'm really dragging. So I probably guessed wrong. OR it could be SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder, dx 2001), which for me doesn't let up until May.

Bottom line is I'm bumping back up for now so I don't fail too badly at work. With everything else, my family is addicted to my paychecks. <g>

Closed Thread