It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• B12 deficiency: Methylcobalamin injections info needed

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-05-2008, 07:45 PM   #16
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User
    Re: B12 deficiency: Methylcobalamin injections info needed

So what was the level? Did she check to find out WHY you are low? you may be low just because you're not eating foods high in B12 so getting shots for a while or taking sublingual will help bring it back up! If you are low because you have a gastric problem like NO intrinsic Factor than eating all the foods high in B12 won't do you any good. So is she going to check the level again after three months to see if has improved? It's important to know WHY it is low and do follow up. You could suggest the Schilling test for intrinsic factor, a special type of blood test to determine why it is low. My story is on this board so don't let the Dr just say take B12 and go on living because if you have no intrinsic factor in your gut to absorb B12 then your level will continue to go down and nerve damage can occur and can be permanent like mine all because a Dr didn't think it was all that low nor find out why it was. Mine was 69 at the time I was sent to see a neurologist where he picked it up right away, she didn't give a hoot or read the radiologist reports stating I was in trouble. Another thing, getting the shots will bring the level back up, BUT it will fall again if you lack the intrinsic factor so finding out if you lack the intrinsic factor is important because those B12 shots will be forever needed. I haven't found a non constipating iron pill yet, let's hope someone else on this board has.

Last edited by NancyH; 12-05-2008 at 07:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2008, 09:51 PM   #17
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

mary91--This is also the first thing that comes to my mind. It is not okay to treat anemia or low levels without first diagnosing and finding a reason why. It can be critical to your future health. You might want to see a GI doc to rule out reasons for this happening.

As for iron, I take one that I love, it is high dose, and easy on the GI tract. It is Poly Iron 150. I have no S/E's with this. It is available at the pharmacy behind the counter, without a script, you have to ask for it. There is one called Poly Iron Forte and it has B-12 in it too, you may want to check this out.

FYI--the higher the dose of iron the less the constipation, it actually works opposite of what one would believe. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 12-07-2008, 06:08 AM   #18
    mary91
    (female)

mary91 HB User

Hi there,

Thanks to everyone for replying. I will definitely go and speak to my doctor on Monday as I didn't realise that this could be so serious and request to get the Schilling test done. The doctor has arranged for me to get a OGD and Colonscopy done as I have been having pains in my stomach too so I will get this done in January but I think it is important to get the Schilling test done now aswell to rule out the intrinsic factor too.

Do you know anything about Floradix Liquid Iron available from the health stores?It is a non-medicinal base of herbs, fruits and honey. I was thinking of taking this but not sure if the iron in this would be sufficient and it says that it may stain the teeth but with this you only need to take less iron because it is easier absorbed as a liquid. Not sure if it would be better to stick to something like what you recommended Poly Iron 50 or go with the natural option of Floradix. Any help?

Old 02-22-2009, 08:40 AM   #19
    liscaraway
    (female)

liscaraway HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by talshi View Post
    Hi,

I am a 28 year-old female, who's been struggling with a B12 deficiency and some very obtuse doctors for over a year now (though I suspect my deficiency dates back at least to 2001).

Though I am tempted to write much more, I am writing with a very specific question. I have finally been able to convince a doctor to give me methylcobalamin injections. However, since he's never administered them before--and in fact, had never heard of them--he is reluctant to prescribe them without a) scholarly evidence that they have been used on people safely; b) dosage recommendation.

I am particularly interested in dosage information: if any of you are getting methylcobalamin injections, could you please post your dosage/frequency? I know that different people need different doses, but it would be good to have some basic knowledge to start with. Also, if you have any scientific references for these doses or the use of methylcobalamin injections in general, that would be very useful as well. I have been able to find some articles documenting the use of high doses methylcobalamin injections, but not specifically for B12 deficiency.

I apologize if this is duplicating anything already on the board. Rainbows End: I did find your post from October 1st, where you reported you were getting methylcobalamin injections of 10,000mcg 3 x a week for 3 months and were then planning on going down. Do you know what your doctor was basing his treatment on? Have the injections been helping you?

Like many of us, I have spent a lot of time researching online--despite the sometimes unbearable fuzziness--and I am always grateful for people who are able and willing to share their stories, knowledge and support. Thanks to all who take the time to read and/or reply to this.

Feel well!

Old 02-22-2009, 03:19 PM   #20
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

You Dr has never heard of this injection?? Wow I'd see someone else! I take the mythlcobalamin injection every other week at 2mil and have been for over a year now, but it took years to get my b12 even up to a reasonable low normal and taking B12 sometimes daily for weeks then weekly for years and finally every other week. I do feel better but it took several years and I also have skipped injections when on vacations and could feel the change so it works to keep my level up there. There are 2 solutions cobalamin and mythlcobalamin one or the other works about the same, I've had both and couldn't tell which worked better so it didn't matter which one I got. You must be seeing a GP because him not knowing about this injection amazes me. I see a neurologist and gastroenterologist as I have permanent damage form PA not diagnosed correctly for years. I've been taking these injections since 1997 or so! Your Dr should have no problem getting this information himself, if he knows other Drs like a neurologist or blood Dr who prescribe them more frequently. I administer my own injections in my thigh, sometimes my husband injects in my arm. There is a Pernicious Anemia site also you can go to as they deal with this strictly!

Old 02-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #21
    mary91
    (female)

mary91 HB User

Hi there, I put up a post fairly recently as I have low B12 and low iron stores.

I got the GI tests done and nothing showed up and I also got tested for intrinsic factor and thyroid problems and both were negative.

I have been getting the B12 shots now for the last 3 months first every week and now every 2 weeks and I did notice a bit of a difference and feel better for a short time but now I am feeling really exhausted again and am wondering why this is. I thought I may be getting better and then all of a sudden I just feel crippled again with the tiredness, aches in my joints, headaches and a head that feels like stuffed with cotton wool.

Nancy or anyone- Do you know how long it takes to build levels up because I would have thought in 3 months I would be getting better but I still feel exhausted and really very irritable and just want to sleep and have no energy to do anything or think straight. It really is wearing me down.

I had one or two blood test in the last 2 months so don' t know if this slows things down.

Any advice would be helpful and I sympathise with anyone who has this B12 deficiency and low iron stores.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:57 PM   #22
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

Well for me and I have no intrinsic factor it took a few years to build my level up to a normal range, now with someone who does have the intrinsic factor which does help with the absorption of B12 I would think a few months should do it. Do you know what your level was before you started on the shots? That would make a difference on how long it can take to build back up!

Old 02-25-2009, 10:32 AM   #23
    mary91
    (female)

mary91 HB User

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for your reply.

Back in November 08 my blood test showed to have B12=246 and Ferritin(iron stores)=21. Doctor said my B12 should be double and my iron stores much more aswell.

Although I have got my blood checked for numerous other things since then to rule out what may be causing the low B12 and ferritin e.g negative test to intrinsic factor, I haven't got my B12 and ferritin levels checked since November. For the moment I want to take a break from the blood tests because I have had alot over the last few months so I will wait a bit until I get another blood test to check what the levels of B12 and ferritin are.

Do you know based on my levels in Nov 08, how long it should take?

I have switched to getting the B12 injections every 2 weeks and am taking Ferrous Gluconate iron tablets but am really feeling exhausted the last 2 weeks and just need to know from someone who has experience with this how long it takes to bring up the levels and is there anything that speeds up the process? It is so exhausting even just to do normal everyday things and I feel like a zombie most of the time and it is very unlike me because I am usually very determined and want to achieve things but I have no energy or desire to do things at the moment.

Uh...any advice?

Closed Thread