It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• ferritin low, iron and B12 high, other labs off

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #16
    robine27
    (female)

robine27 HB User
    Re: ferritin low, iron and B12 high, other labs off

All of the thoughts on the posts are very informative and interesting.
    Many of my labs were repeated yesterday so should have some results in the next week. Liver MRI was changed to next week as my health insurance provider wants a call from my MD who is away for the week. Everything will be done when I see the hematologist on the 27th.

Audrey-I do take a vitamin with Selenium 200mcg daily as well as 80mcg IV.
    The magnesium, zinc, calcium, manganese, chromium are in the vitamin, IV or both. Tyrosine is in the Amino acid powder supplement and in the amino acid IV. So I am pretty well covered. I have finally gained back the 30 pounds I lost initially in a few months although it took 5 years to gain and reach 120 again. I no longer have to eat all day long to maintain my weight. Now that my weight is stable, my amino acid IV will be every three weeks instead of every two weeks. Mineral and vitamin IV still every two weeks for a while. If everything stays stable IV's will gradually be done less often and maybe later this year can be discontinued all together.

Donna-Thanks for the information on the liver biopsy and MRI. Probably it won't show much as it looks like my numbers are pretty low on the scale and if there is iron overload it is probably in the initial stages.

FlFlowergirl- Thank you for the information on testing-US, CT, MRI and for the testing recommendations for your children.

I really appreciate the thoughts and information from all who have replied.
    Thank you.

Robine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2009, 05:19 AM   #17
    robine27
    (female)

robine27 HB User
    Smile Re: ferritin low, iron and B12 high, other labs off

New lab work results are in from 2-19-09 and have improved:

FE(iron) 121 (range 35-150) last one 155 high
    UIBC 89 low (range 126-382) last one 48
    TIBC 210 low (range 250-450) last one 202
    Transferrin Sat 58 (range 15-60) last one 77
    Ferritin 30 (range 5-204) last one 28
    Alk Phos 39 low (range 40-150) last one 47
    Hematocrit 39 (range 36-46) last one 41
    Hemoglobin 13.1 (range 12.0-16.0) last one 13.7
    RBC 4.02 low (range 4.20-5.40) last one 4.18 RBC have been low consistantly low over many years

Since the concern was high iron and high Transferrin and low UIBC and low TIBC numbers look better, although I know most people on the anemia board are trying to go in the other direction. I am not sure what has made a difference as I haven't changed anything.

Vitamin A- I am researching levels of Vitamin A and it looks like 3,000 IU is recommended for women, but okay to take up to the tolerable level of 10,000 IU without toxicity unless pregnant. I take 6,400 IU in the two multivitamins recommended by my MD, plus carrot juice and a mango daily due to night blindness a few years ago with other eye problems related to celiac malabsorption which have resolved. I called the vitamin company today as the vitamin A is listed on the bottles as from Palmitate, fish, and mixed carotenoids from palm tree fruit along with alpha carotene 8mg and beta carotene 30mg. Only 47% of the vitamin A is palmitate, the type that can be toxic, so my total from the two multivits for palmitate is 3000 IU daily. The rest is from carotene, the kind found in food and that is not toxic. So it looks like I am okay.
    The interesting thing I came across in an endocrine magazine I get at work is that Vitamin A intoxication can be the cause of increased osteoclast activity and osteoporosis and even an intake of just twice the RDA (3,000 IU) may decrease BMD and increase fracture risk. Also that chronic Vitamin A intoxication can also accelerate hair loss. Since I do have osteoporosis, I will check with my nutrition MD on my vitamin A levels when I see him next time.

Robine

Last edited by robine27; 02-23-2009 at 07:43 AM.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:55 PM   #18
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

The only thing that I can think of is the fact that the serum iron is what everything else in the iron panel is calculated from. So, if you had a large amount of iron in your blood stream at the time of testing this would change your results or if there was too little. I still don't understand your results, maybe it's normal for your body. You don't want your T-Sat over 45% so that you will not overload. I am only a dumb patient. But your labs do look better. Keep us posted.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 02-25-2009, 03:37 AM   #19
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Those are some interesting facts regarding Vitamin A, but i wonder why they would use a fruit which 'may' be toxic? even if it is only 47%, even 1% toxic would be enough to have me running. Aren't there any which don't use the palm fruit?

It's good to hear that you have pretty much all your supplements covered and you are finding positive benefits in regards to your weight gain, which you obviously want. Maybe this is why your tests results are improving. It takes time to see positive results and it might just be something which will take a while.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:32 PM   #20
    robine27
    (female)

robine27 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Audrey-B View Post
    Those are some interesting facts regarding Vitamin A, but i wonder why they would use a fruit which 'may' be toxic? even if it is only 47%, even 1% toxic would be enough to have me running. Aren't there any which don't use the palm fruit?

It's good to hear that you have pretty much all your supplements covered and you are finding positive benefits in regards to your weight gain, which you obviously want. Maybe this is why your tests results are improving. It takes time to see positive results and it might just be something which will take a while.
    Hi Audrey,

What I understood is that the palmitate is vitamin A which if taken in large doses over 10,000 may cause toxicity due to a large dose not because it is palmitate, as Vitamin A is fat soluble and can build up in your body if large doses are taken. Because it is not water soluble excess amounts of the vitamin do not leave the body in the urine but accumulate in the liver. This type of vitamin A is retinal.

Many of the folks I work with are on prescribed Vitamin A 15,000 IU daily (retinal) for a certain type of eye condition, and need to be monitored so the vitamin A does not accumulate. Sometimes Vitamin A can accumulate and become toxic at lower doses.

Carotene which is the type in carrots and mango is vitamin A's precursor.
    I still need to talk to my nutrition MD to be sure I am not getting too much, especially now that malabsorption has improved, as I do tend to go for the orange foods which are high in vitamin A. For a while I needed larger doses of everything as fats were not being absorbed and thus fat soluble vitamins were extremely low as a result.

On another note, I had the MRI with contrast this morning so should have results in a couple of days, and they have one from 5 years ago to compare.

Enjoy the day. After a winter with more than average snow, we have had some relief in February with very little snow. Still, I am really looking forward to spring and getting out in the garden.

Robine

Old 02-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #21
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Hi Robine - thanks for clarifying the palmate and toxicity issue. Vit A is one of those vitamins i never thought anyone would be low in, but could quite easily be higher in. I've never given it a thought until i read that the thyroid gland can't produce thyroxin without sufficient Vit A and if the thyroid is having problems producing the thyroxin there's a pretty good chance you aren't absorbing sufficient iodine. Also the fact that Vit A helps with better abosorption of nutrients by strengthening the lining of the digestive tract as i have malabsorption issues as well as the thyroid and low iodine issues. For these reasons i'm now wondering whether i could be low in Vit A.

I think with all these health issues you can't ever look at just one thing, there is such a big overlap from various areas.

Best of luck with your MRI results. I get my new test results on monday. I always get so excited the night before that i can't fall asleep

Old 03-01-2009, 06:11 AM   #22
    robine27
    (female)

robine27 HB User
    Smile Re: ferritin low, iron and B12 high, other labs off

Audrey-

Malabsorption affects so many things in the body. It is quite possible that you could be low on vitamin A. I was very low on A causing night blindness and some other things, low on D which apparently made the parathyroid hormone high and added to osteoporosis, low on Vitamin K causing bleeding and bruising, not sure on Vitamin E as there are no clear symptoms of deficiency and people are very seldom low on E. These vitamins are all fat soluble so if you are not absorbing fats properly the vitamins will likely be low.
    Malabsorption issues for me seem to be almost gone. I found the foods with good fats that I tolerated best are extra virgin olive oil, and a gluten free ice cream called Organic Purely Decadent Coconut Milk which is made from coconut milk and dried coconut and has no dairy or soy. Coconut is a medium chain fatty acid which is more easily digested that my nutritionist recommended. I have some olive oil and coconut ice milk every day.

I was also low on iodine as you mentioned and in all of the minerals tested which is why I am so surprised that I am now too high on iron. I have been wondering where all the extra iron is coming from since I do not take any iron supplements and eat meat only once every week or two. Yesterday I wondered if the water in my home has a lot of iron since I live in the northeast and the water in this area is rich with minerals. The clear plastic tubing for the ice cubes in the fridge gets rust colored on the inside and has to be changed periodically. I think the rust color may be iron deposits. I am drinking water or green tea all day long. I am going to find out how to get the water in my home tested.

I got the quick report on my MRI and essentially it is normal with no iron buildup. I'll get the written report in a week or so with all the details and comparison to the MRI five years ago. It is nice to have a good report. for a few years every test I had was abnormal. Now at least some are normal.
    I will see the endocrinologist March 23rd, the GI doc April 9th followed by the hematologist on April 10th and will have more labwork done before those visits.

I hope all your tests look better when you get the report on Monday. Let me know how they are. Hope you sleep okay. You have quite a few of the health concerns that I have also identified. It is a long process trying to figure everything out. It is nice to have the health board folks to chat with on line.

Robine

Closed Thread