It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• RDW is high

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-27-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
    DianaRo42
    (female)

DianaRo42 HB User
    Cool RDW is high

What is RDW? Mine is 39.9% should be 11.5 - 14.5
    Most of my last test results are low or normal, but this one is high.
    Also doctor said my red blood cells are tiny. Said could take up to a year or longer to replenish.
    Also said iron level could take months a year or longer to replenish.
    Didn't think was loosing hair, but when I cut it last week it didn't seem to look right. I figured its because it's not as thick. I have baby fine hair, was fairly thick, not now.(smile)
    Baby fine hair looks thin to start with. Now it is and I noticed when brushing some hair flew away.
    The doctor explained the things that were low and high, but I just guess it was more than I can remember.
    It's been a little overwhelming. In a little over 2 months I have learned with iron so low, could have had the big H.
    That's why bed rest. My doctor said my heart working 4 X harder to try to get oxygen to my body.

New instruction, can do anything I want. Well, what I want to do, and what my body can do are two different things!

I guess the rest of you can relate.

Thanks for taking the time with me.
    Waiting for an answer.

The weathers crazy down here in low 80s or high 70s. So I picked smily with sun glasses.
    Doesn't usually start getting warm till April Just thought I would share !

Hugs to all. Diana

Last edited by DianaRo42; 02-27-2009 at 11:34 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: RDW is high

Hi DianaRo42--Red cell distribution width (RDW) is a calc. of the variation in the size of your RBCs. Anisocytosis means variation. This variation increases the RDW. Yours is really high. My highest was 19 with a range of 11.7-15.0. Your MCV must really be low in that case. In anemia all your labs are thrown off being low with the exception of the RDW and Platelets and they are High. This really freaked me out when I first saw my labs, it made me want to cry, also because I felt so bad. When I found out that one knocks the other out so to speak I felt better about it.

Yes, be kind to your heart. What are your Hgb and Hct counts now?

I like your smiley with sunglasses. Hope you are feeling better soon. Keep us posted.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 02-28-2009, 02:32 AM   #3
    DianaRo42
    (female)

DianaRo42 HB User
    Re: RDW is high

Hi FLFLOWERGIRL,

My HGB is 12.5 after 2 iron infusion from 6.5 in less than 5 weeks.
    HCT is 38,8
    MCV is 72.3
    MCH is 23.3

These the doctor said are up from 12 & 16.
    I need to get test results from daughter. She put in her safe.

You never know who the angles are going to be in your life. My Pharrmacist is the one who told me to go to doctor to get bllood work done. I was so pale I looked yellow.

Thank you for your faith on this board.

Hugs, Diana

Last edited by DianaRo42; 02-28-2009 at 04:03 AM.

Closed Thread