It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Did the LEEP clear your HPV infection?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-24-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
    oldfashiongirl
    (female)

oldfashiongirl HB User
    Did the LEEP clear your HPV infection?

Hi Ladies,

Well, I'm scheduled for my LEEP on Monday and am definitely nervous. I have a few questions to run by you all:

For any of you who have had the LEEP or any other cervical tissue removal surgeries - did the procedure eventually lead you to a negative HPV result? My understanding is that once the majority of the HPV-infected cervical tissue is removed, your immune system should be able to take care of the rest, resulting in a negative HPV test. Did this happen to any of you?

Could the LEEP come back with a diagnosis of cancer? I am just so nervous about this since my biopsy came back CIN III and I know that this is pretty close to actually being cancer. My ECC came back with detached CIN III particuls, which my doctor said didn't worry her as it was most likely CIN III particuls from the biopsy that contaminated the ECC. So, what do you guys think my chances are of the LEEP coming back with something more serious than CIN III?

I guess that's it for now. I hope you guys don't mind me posting just for support. I am really dreading this LEEP - I'm really scared it's going to be painful and that the recovery time is going to be longer than I anticipated. Thanks you guys!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
    Cinderella12
    (female)

Cinderella12 HB User
    Re: Did the LEEP clear your HPV infection?

Hi-

Regarding LEEP- I had mine about 10 days ago. Not a problem whatsoever. No cramping, just a little burning like feeling that advil took care of.

I could have had a spinal or general anesthesia & I chose general. Why bother feeling anything? I didn't want to hear any sounds, sighs, etc. I have a great doctor & knew she'd tell me whatever I needed to know.

As for HPV- as far as I know, it's always in your system. LEEP can clear the infection that has caused changes.

CIN etc- what will the result be? You really won't know until the pathologist examines the tissues. Hopefully your doc will call you with results. I got the call a few days later (all was well for the most part).

Good luck to you.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #3
    Elizabeth1975
    (female)

Elizabeth1975 HB User

From what I've read, the LEEP clears the infection 80-90% of the time. I've also read that the likelihood of still testing positive for hpv decreases during the year after the LEEP. For example, I think you have a 30% chance to still test positive for the virus three months after the LEEP, but after a year, that number goes down to 15% or so. Wish I knew where I read that.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

I haven't been tested since my HPV test results sent me down the diagnosis trail to cancer and recovery post surgery. I will ask for an HPV test at my 1 year follow up in July.

The LEEP can come back showing cancer. It also (more likely) will come back that they got all of the lesions with good margins.

I'm in the camp of thought that says to call to get your pathology report so you don't have to wait until the post-op appointment to know how it went. I'm anxious and not terribly patient!

Good luck and let us know how you are doing!

Old 03-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #5
    victorian
    (female)

victorian HB User

My nurse explained: you always have HPV once you have it. It is a virus, and there are no cures for viruses. One in two people have some form of HPV. There are some 500 varieties causing all sorts of issues for females mostly.
    I am going to pursue nutritional means to make my immune system stronger and better able to fight off reoccurances of HPV.
    Girls who have never been sexually active now have a immunization they can take to prevent HPV infection. Not sure if this is ALL strains of HPV, or just the strain that can cause cervical cancer.
    My neighbor nurse lady said in about 2010 they are coming out with a immunization for pre-sexual boys.
    I just had the LEEP Monday the 25th. I just had a sedative.
    I had a terrible smell and pain started two days later and am now on an antibiotic.
    The LEEP itself under the sedative, the day of surgery, etc.,not bad at all!
    Take some bread with you in the car to eat right after as you will be hungry and need something mild to eat.
    Victorian

Closed Thread