It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• a headache every day/sinus trouble.. any ideas?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-24-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
    a1234567
    (female)

a1234567 HB User
    a headache every day/sinus trouble.. any ideas?

hey,

so i first started noticing headaches around my eyes late last year. they came and went. then at the end of january it spread to the area by nose. i went to the doctor and was diagnosed with a sinus infection. went on a round of antibiotics, did nothing. headaches got worse and i had bad veritgo as well. tried a second antibiotic. got better for about a week. felt the pressure in my forehead coming back. went on that antibiotic for another round. then i started getting symptoms like stuffy nose, sore throat, headache moving to temples and ear area, headache being only on one side then moving only to the other. went on a my fourth round (and third kind) of antibiotics with a steroid. i ended the steroid a few days ago and have a day left on the antibiotic but i still have a form of a headache every day. what's weird is how the headache has moved, lessened in one area, only to get worse in another. i had a ct scan of the sinuses last week that came back normal. i'm thinking that maybe i had such a bad sinus infection that it's taking a long time to go away but having a headache every day is making me crazy. i also feel pressure in my forehead and like tension.. last week when my headaches were mostly on the left the left side felt like i had novocaine wearing off and it felt swelled even though it technically wasn't. that has since gone away but the headache in my temples and forehead persists. i'm trying to tell myself that if it was anything really bad it wouldn't move around so much or get better than worse than better but who knows. i'm thinking of moving up my neuro appt instead of seeing an ENT. any ideas? thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2009, 08:04 AM   #2
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User
    Re: a headache every day/sinus trouble.. any ideas?

how long were your courses of antibiotics? Have you ever tried chiropractic/massage? even acupuncture. A good massage from a licensed massage therapist can do wonders for tension. It can also help loosen up sinus congestion

Old 03-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I agree with dolysods, give these recommendations a try. I find that some doctors prescribe a lot of medication that doesn't help people. I'm always hearing stories from people about all the things they had to take and then they ended up having OTHER side effects from all the medicines. I used to have a lot of sinus pressure and pain that would make me feel so dizzy every day. I used what is called a "Netti Pot" and it helped. It is somewhat like a nasal spray, only you have to pour it in your nose. It's strange and kind of gross because it comes out the other side and feels awkward, but it did help me clear out my sinuses. It did take some time of regular use. Now I feel like everything is back to normal! I bought this at my pharmacy and it was about $10 or so.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
    a1234567
    (female)

a1234567 HB User

thanks for responding..
    my antibiotics were for 7, 7, 10, and 10 days. I've actually used a neti pot multiple times over the past two months and found it did not do too much. Lately the pain is in my forehead and temples, just a throbbing all day long. I'm guessing it has to be related to all the problems I've had the past two months..

Old 03-25-2009, 04:55 PM   #5
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User

were any of the therapies consecutive? some times if you have a stubborn infection it can take a month straight of antibiotics. I was on omnicef for 38 days straight a couple winters ago. GPs usually won't do that but a ent or allergist would. Any color to mucous?

I can't remember if i mentioned it in my other post.. acupuncture has done wonders for me

Old 03-25-2009, 10:15 PM   #6
    sunshine123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

Acupuncture relieves my headaches also. I have TMJ and for years thought my headaches were caused by sinus problems. I also take Flexeril, a muscle relaxer and do jaw stretching exercises. Hope you get a proper diagnosis and pain relief.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:35 AM   #7
    a1234567
    (female)

a1234567 HB User

yes, the antibiotics were consecutive. sometimes there was a day without one but then i was quickly put on the next. the mucus was clear actually. this sinus infection was nothing like ones i've had before. usually i have the thick mucus, slight headache, and in a week it's gone.
    today i'm going to make a massage appt. they do accupuncture there as well so i'm going to inquire about that.

thanks

Old 03-26-2009, 06:01 AM   #8
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User

that is a great idea. When i went to the acupuncture appt yesterday he said my tongue still said i was producing a lot of mucous when i felt basically mucous free. I know the 2nd appt that i had with him, i thought i was going to die..... thought my sinus infection was back. The pressure was released and i started to drain.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:44 AM   #9
    a1234567
    (female)

a1234567 HB User

sometimes i think i have jaw problems as well. when i yawn the right side of my jaw pops. i also think i grind my teeth at night because i wake up biting down sometimes. it's so frustrating to think of how many things may be causing my headache. i just feel that it must be somehow related to the sinus infections because it has continued after all the other sinus symptoms are gone.
    does the flexeril work well for the headaches?

Old 03-26-2009, 06:57 AM   #10
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User

the flexeril helps relax me especially if it is a tension headache. I also wear a bite guard at night. Soooo many things...

just make sure you tell the massage therapist about the sinus/neck issues and they can really work it.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:12 AM   #11
    a1234567
    (female)

a1234567 HB User

okay, i will. thanks!

Old 03-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #12
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by a1234567 View Post
    thanks for responding..
    my antibiotics were for 7, 7, 10, and 10 days. I've actually used a neti pot multiple times over the past two months and found it did not do too much. Lately the pain is in my forehead and temples, just a throbbing all day long. I'm guessing it has to be related to all the problems I've had the past two months..
    I'm sorry that didn't work for you! Perhaps the Netti Pot is better for sinus problems due from chronic allergies and wouldn't work for the kind of pain you are having. I hope you are able to find out a good way to cure your headaches!

Old 09-23-2009, 08:21 PM   #13
    paradoxenygma
    (male)

paradoxenygma HB User

hey! i'm in pretty much the same situation. mine started about a year and a half ago, and i have sinus pressure and clogged ears all the time. my ENT doesnt seem to eager to help me because he doesnt find anything wrong.

have you had any luck ? if so, what worked for you?

Old 09-23-2009, 08:24 PM   #14
    dolysods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dolysods HB User

what has worked the best for me is acupuncture and basically eliminating wheat/gluten from my diet

Old 09-26-2009, 01:21 AM   #15
    guy in AU
    (male)

guy in AU HB User

OTC medicines containing an anti inflamatory pain killer, together with a decongestant, can be realy helpful

Aleave Sinus is great, one tablet works for 12 hours. Takking thses for a week or so can allow everything to drain and heal up.

Add a dash of eucyliptus oil to a bowl of boiling water, place a towel over the head, and inhale the steam and the fumes. The eucyliptus makes the nose run and the cillia work, because it is an irritant, so it helps clear away the thick gunk that can build up in the sunuses. Do this for say 10 minutes twice a day/

Given that antibiotics and steriod sprays havent worked, you may well need surgery to correct any issues, enlarge the sinus drainage holes, remove and polyps etc.

Last edited by guy in AU; 09-26-2009 at 01:26 AM.

Closed Thread