It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• does anyone get 20/20 after lasik?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-14-2009, 07:36 AM   #1
    annie97
    (female)

annie97 HB User
    does anyone get 20/20 after lasik?

does anyone get 20/20 after lasik? mine was 20/60 and day after 20/40

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
    JustMe2009
    (female)

JustMe2009 HB User
    Re: does anyone get 20/20 after lasik?

I've read that some have 20/15.

I have about 20/40 from what they told me at my last check which was one week post-lasik. Sure was blurrrrrryyy back then though, not sure i could have really driven safely.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
    sgk
    (female)

sgk HB User

i had lasik nov 11, 2008. i was close to becoming legally blind-no joke. my 1st post check i was 20/60 my last check 2 weeks ago 20/20!!!!!!!

Old 03-14-2009, 10:17 PM   #4
    marisuela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

yep... i was legally blind without contacts or glasses. had my lasik done in december of '06, and now my vision is 20/12.5!

Old 03-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
    julieone
    (female)

julieone HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustMe2009 View Post
    I've read that some have 20/15.

I have about 20/40 from what they told me at my last check which was one week post-lasik. Sure was blurrrrrryyy back then though, not sure i could have really driven safely.
    I had it done to both eyes a week ago and have better days and worse days - near and middle is Ok but distance is so blurry I can't drive. Trying to stay calm and tell myslef it'll get better - but am quite worried that it won't. Any good stories around to hear?

Old 03-26-2009, 09:56 AM   #6
    julieone
    (female)

julieone HB User

how did you manage in the interim and not loose heart?

Old 03-27-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
    popol
    (male)

popol HB User

I went to LASIK MD as well and they gave me 20/20. I sent a bunch of friends and family there too and they were all happy with the results.
    @ julieone It took a few weeks after surgery as well until my vision became stable, but now it's perfect. It's soooooo worth it!

Old 03-27-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
    landar
    (male)

landar HB User

Norby, couple of questions: Was your flap cut with a microkeratome(blade) or laser(Intralase)?. Did you opt for the Wavefront which corrects for high-order aberrations?

You know, I had read that the flap never completely heals from this procedure. Still, the Intralase cuts a more precise flap which fits back in better than the blade cut. I talked to various friends who have had Lasik and no one was upset. All pretty much loved it. So, against my better judgement, I went ahead and had it done(Intralase with Wavefront). It has been less than 2 weeks but my eyes do not feel dry, actually they are much more comfortable than contacts(those really dried out my eyes). Still, they are not as moist as before. However, my vision seems to improve each day and seem more "normal" with each passing day. I have experienced blurred vision(still do at times), halos, ghosting, starbursts, dry eye...but they are all starting to disappear. Time will tell.

Just curious, where in Canada do you live?What procedures did you have? How much did the Lasik cost you? Do the doctors there seem to be concerned about your condition? What kind of Laser equipment did they use for you? (describe the procedure you went through) Thanks, Landar

Old 03-27-2009, 06:24 PM   #9
    landar
    (male)

landar HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by julieone View Post
    how did you manage in the interim and not loose heart?
    Dont loose heart. One week is a baby step in the healing process. Just keep using the drops liberally and get a lot of rest for your eyes. Lots of sleep. I think you will notice improvements in the coming weeks. These Lasik doctors really don't prepare you for the psychological aspects of healing. It takes more time than you are lead to believe. I am experiencing it myself...but seeing improvements each day.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:18 AM   #10
    julieone
    (female)

julieone HB User
    Cool Re: does anyone get 20/20 after lasik?

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement; its now 9 days post surgery and my sight is really starting to improve. Went for the check up and optometrist said that eyes have healed well. Told him eyes were dry and he gave me some gel for morning and nite time and 3 bottles of drops and said use as liberally as I need to. Some people seem to be able to see perfectly just a few days after and others like me, well it takes longer. I do think they should make one aware of these variations, I felt rather led into thinking that things would be perfect immediately!

I get happier with my sight each day.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-19-2010 at 07:59 AM.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:09 PM   #11
    landar
    (male)

landar HB User

The blade cut may take longer to heal. I am seeing fairly good in daylight but those LED and neons signs are a blur at distance.

I know this will cost you more $$ but instead of waiting for the Canadian social health network to take care of you, have you considered finding a really good surgeon in the states and making a trip?

Old 04-02-2009, 08:03 PM   #12
    laser1
    (male)

laser1 HB User

Experience has shown that, after LASIK treatment, the vast majority of people with low to moderate short-sightedness (myopia) achieve 20/40 vision or better. Many, but not all, can expect to achieve 20/20 vision. However, even if 20/20 is not achieved, people find that the surgery has improved their vision to an extent that they are able to perform daily activities without glasses or contact lenses, and they enjoy significant benefits from having improved their vision.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:28 AM   #13
    julieone
    (female)

julieone HB User

What about moderate long sightedness (hyperopia?)

Last edited by Administrator; 11-19-2010 at 07:59 AM.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #14
    Jesse88
    (female)

Jesse88 HB User

In July it will be two years since my surgery. My left eye is 20/20 and the right is 20/40. The doctor overcorrected slightly because he said during the healing process the vision moves back a bit. Well, it worked for the left eye but not the right. I think he over-overcorrected. He would have re-done the right eye for free but I decided to leave well enough alone. I'm still happy I did it but wish my right eye was better.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #15
    DW123
    (male)

DW123 HB User

Can anyone tell me how long the surgery lasts, is it permanent? I have been considering having it done. My eyes just keep getting worse, I had 20/20 vision until I hit age 40 and it been going downhill ever since.

Closed Thread