It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Osteoporosis Message Board

• Only 45 and diagnosed with Osteoporosis!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #16
    patriciaf
    (female)

patriciaf HB User
    Re: Only 45 and diagnosed with Osteoporosis!!

I would definitely see a rheumatologist as our cases sound similar (low WBC, high cholesterol, never sick before, same age, active). I have an autoimmune disease which probably accounts for the bulk of these issues. Again, I would suggest you investigate PH balance and gut serotonin as I am not convinced that the osteo drugs address this type of osteoporosis. You may also want to pick up a copy of The Myth of Osteoporosis so that you can understand why doctors are so dismissive. The information they have access to is quite limited.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #17
    Kentucky Girl
    (female)

Kentucky Girl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by patriciaf View Post
    I would definitely see a rheumatologist as our cases sound similar (low WBC, high cholesterol, never sick before, same age, active). I have an autoimmune disease which probably accounts for the bulk of these issues. Again, I would suggest you investigate PH balance and gut serotonin as I am not convinced that the osteo drugs address this type of osteoporosis. You may also want to pick up a copy of The Myth of Osteoporosis so that you can understand why doctors are so dismissive. The information they have access to is quite limited.
    What kind of autoimmune disorder have you been diagnosed with. Symptom wise I fit more with lupus, except no facial butterfly rash. However, I have most all the other symptoms. How do you treat yours? Any improvement?

Old 03-22-2009, 06:03 PM   #18
    patriciaf
    (female)

patriciaf HB User

I have extra-glandular Sjogrens Syndrome (the version that gets into your organs and muscles). I am on Plaquenil and Prednisone and I just started Trental which we hope will help to replace the Prednisone (and no, unfortunately I had osteo prior to going on the prednisone so that wasn't the cause). The prednisone saved my life last year when they put me on that, so yes, to answer your question I have seen improvement with that. And then the Plaquenil gave me my QUALITY of life back, so again yes, there have been definite improvements. I still have muscle limitations which we think are due to vasculitis and autonomic dysfunction (neuropathies, etc.) so that is the reason for the Trental. While my muscles still need breaks throughout the day, I almost feel like my old self again.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:14 PM   #19
    lisa66
    (female)

lisa66 HB User

Hi Kentucky Girl, I too am young. I am 42 years old and have osteoperosis in my thoracic spine and osteopenia in my lower back and hips. I've known since I was 38 years old. I still get my period. I had sinus surgery when I was 38 and the ENT said gosh your facial bones are fragile. I was like what?? Because I am a very active person. I am a personal trainer and a fitness instructor. My GP had me do a bone density and yup i have osteoperosis. I went to an endocrinologist and they testing me for everything and could find nothing else wrong with me. The endo thinks I was just born like this. I have a small frame I'm almost 5'3 and 107 lbs. She's like heriditary. I was on Actonel for about 2 years and I stopped it. I heard lots of bad things about those medications. The actonel also didn't make much of a difference. I just take calcium plus D and vitamins and I teach about 13 exercise classes a week. I think heredity plays a big part in it. I'm just worried about what will happen when I stop menstrating Who knows? I may crumble.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #20
    starfish81
    (female)

starfish81 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lisa66 View Post
    I am a very active person. I am a personal trainer and a fitness instructor. My GP had me do a bone density and yup i have osteoperosis. I went to an endocrinologist and they testing me for everything and could find nothing else wrong with me. The endo thinks I was just born like this. I have a small frame I'm almost 5'3 and 107 lbs. She's like heriditary.
    Lisa, you sound just like me (except I'm 52 and post-menopausal). I've had pretty much every test known to endocrinologists and everything came back right in the middle of "normal". But despite doing all the right things, my lumbar BMD kept plummeting until it was -3.0 and I have no idea if it's worse now (last BMD done 2 yrs ago) because I decided right then that that was my last BMD. I too am small-boned but tall, and I really think that DEXA scans do not take frame size into account.
    I have a suggestion for you: get a copy of "The Myth of Osteoporosis" by Gillian Sanson. It will help you put things into perspective and will reassure you that despite what the medical profession would have you believe, you're not going to fall apart--not now, and not after menopause either!

Old 04-06-2009, 05:01 AM   #21
    Elaine444
    (female)

Elaine444 HB User

Hello Britt!
    I havent been here in ages, but I wanted to share that I was diagnosed with osteoporosis in 2006 at 34 years of age. I had a hysterectomy and removal of both ovaries just one year prior in 2005 (started on hrt right away), but I am guessing the osteoporosis started long before that. I didnt get my first period until I was 16 due to anorexia nervosa (which I am battling again at 36 and am in treatment for), but also around the same time I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and have been on thyroid meds for twenty years. I have heard that thyroid meds and thyroid conditions can contribute to thinning of the bones, especially if you are overtreated/undertreated for it. My levels tend to fluctuate wildly so I have had many dose adjustments.
    I also have a smaller frame and wonder how much that has an impact on my dexa results. The first year after my first dexa I diligently took calcium and vitamin D (1500 calcium and 1000 IU D) daily as well as started a weight bearing exercise program, switched my hormone replacement therapy to something my body will absorb and is stronger (Vivelle Dot patch which is FDA approved to fight osteoporosis), and also took Miacalcin which was prescribed. In addition I gained weight (about fifteen lbs during a recovery process from an eating disorder). My scores went from -3.2 in spine to -3.0 in one year, and my hips went from -1.8 to -1.4 in one year. So there is hope.
    Unfortunately I lost almost 40 lbs last year and am battling being severely underweight and trying to regain and my hormones are a mess, so I can only imagine what my scores are now. I will find out in September.
    I hope you are able to zero in on a cause so you can fight this disease to the best of your ability. It is scary at our age but I do believe with the right help we can improve our outcome. Good luck to you and just know there are many of us younger ones out there dealing with this!
    Elaine

Old 04-08-2009, 04:21 AM   #22
    DeeDee123
    (female)

DeeDee123 HB User

Elaine444, thank you very much for your information, sorry your going thru so much stress at such a young age, but your information is very informative, I was recently told I had osteoporsis and that due to a stomach disorder (gastroporesis) I would not be able to tollerate boniva or fosamax that I would have to take the reclast shot. Well after much reading and concerns over taking it I gave in and went for the shot.. well my scores are not bad enough for the FDA to allow me the shot. So for now they are pushing lot's of calcuim and vitiam D hoping this turns things around. BUT what I didn't think about was that I to have hypothyroidism and didn't realize that played a factor in this. My numbers for my thyroid jump up and down but never get that far off course. I to am on hrt and have been for 20 yrs now. I take permarin 1.25, and actually the doctor I saw the other day for the reclast iv injection wanted to decrease the dosage. but my question was IF the HRT is what's helping keep my dexa out of the bad side WHY would you start to decrease the amount! Seems to me that you would leave well enough alone. SO for now I am leaving things as they are. I feel fine as far as the HRT level goes and my family doc regulates my thyroid meds. Good luck to you..

Old 12-16-2009, 01:04 AM   #23
    Lil22
    (female)

Lil22 HB User

Hi
    I too have just been diagnosed with osteoporosis only i have been on depo provera for endometriosis for over seven years. top pain relief but it really messes you up and i too am only 45.
    I have been put on actonel combid and am about to start it soon.
    I have been told that they can only stop the bone deteriation where it is and strengthen the outer area,
    All i am after is some info on actonel and am hell bent on not letting this change me or the way i do things as i am a very positive and active person and do understand the pain factor.
    don't let anything get in your way and go out of your way to do what you want.
    Good luck and have fun

Old 11-29-2010, 10:03 PM   #24
    webecoxs
    (male)

webecoxs HB User

I am male and was your age when they found I have osteoporosis. I just had a bone marrow biopsy almost two weeks ago to check for leukemia. I don't know that there is a correlation.

Closed Thread