It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Prozac success stories?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-26-2003, 09:32 AM   #1
    ahope4u

ahope4u HB User
    Post Prozac success stories?

I've been taking Prozac-10mg- for about 4 weeks now. My Dr. just upped the dosage to 20mg. I also take .5 Xanax approx. 2 or 3 times a day. I used to take Paxil 4 years ago, 30mg, and had great success with it. However, this time Paxil just wasn't for me. I had horrible side effects. I have no side effects with the Prozac besides loss of appetite.
    Has anyone had success with Prozac and if so how long did it take for it to kick in. I know they say 4-8 weeks, but Gosh! I went outside just to feed the dogs and my heart started racing...panic!
    I'd just like to hear a few success stories and how long it took to make it to that "successful place".

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2003, 01:58 PM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Hi, prozac and paxil are both SSRI type antidepressants, prozac may or may not work for you but will need to be tried for up to 8 weeks at 20mg or higher, more xanax will reduce any early side effects.
    hope it works, but if not try another type of antidepressant next, such as effexor, a SNRI

Old 07-01-2003, 03:51 PM   #3
    gotsand2

gotsand2 HB User
    Question

Prozac Question. After having suffered some sort of Anxiety attack which lead to depression back in December, I went to the doctor, got cleared of any physical problem, and then started taking Paxil; 20mg. The paxil seemed to work after about two months, but then felt like it wore off. I increased it to 30, than 40 mg. I started feeling worse. I felt very weird. Scared and brooding about the past, vivid dreams, scary dreams. I stopped Paxil cold turkey and suffered the withdrawls for four weeks now. I just started on Prozac once a week ( 06-25-03 ) to see how that works. Anyone out there have any advice about any of the above info. It's scary going through this. One day I feel perfectly normal ( not manic ) and then one or two days later I'll awake feeling depressed and strange. I don't know if the meds are making it worse or better. I exercise all the time and take additional vitamins. Any help would be appreciated.

------------------

Old 07-01-2003, 03:59 PM   #4
    gotsand2

gotsand2 HB User
    Question

Anyone have any experience with quitting Paxil cold turkey? How long did your withdrawls last, and what did you experience? Have you taken anything else since then, and what?

Old 07-02-2003, 08:37 AM   #5
    ChrisL
    Inactive

ChrisL HB User
    quitting ssri's or benzos cold turkey is a bad idea. who cares if you have to take the drugs longer, if it means you are tapering the dosage to avoid withdrawal symptoms? it not worth not having the bad side effects like "zaps", insomnia, etc.

Old 07-02-2003, 01:02 PM   #6
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    strange dreams are often caused by these meds, brooding is often caused by anxiety, paxil cold turkey is probably OK since you werent on it long, anyhow prozac is basicly the same as paxil

valium type meds reduce the early nusiance side effects of antidepressants and its a pity docs dont always prescribe them, anxious patients want their docs to make them better, not worse

Old 07-14-2003, 05:40 PM   #7
    gotsand2

gotsand2 HB User
    Question

So what would you reccommend after having tried Paxil for 5 months and Prozac weekly for four weeks now. Paxil seemed to work OK for the first two months, but not completely. So far, the Prozac weekly , as small as a dose as it is, does not seem to be working. I feel even more anxeity at times, even after a strong workout. I just feel really down, bored with life, as if nothing that used to be fun could be fun again. Help me out. Thanks.

Old 07-31-2003, 11:43 AM   #8
    driven2sin

driven2sin HB User
    Problem is that you aren't doing anything for yourself
    so you don't have any long term satisfacton. Cheap
    thrills wear out fast

Closed Thread