It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Hematologist and Iron Infusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2009, 04:23 PM   #1
    Missa21
    (female)

Missa21 HB User
    Hematologist and Iron Infusion

Hey, I've posted a few times in the past. I just had my blood redrawn the other day and my Total iron was 33 (40-175). This is down from 36 in my last three blood draws. My doctor recommended seeing a hematologist and possible iron infusion. I'm wondering if anyone here has had the infusion/pro's and con's/what type people had. I should be hearing from my doctor soon and he is setting up my stuff with the hematologist. I'd appreciate anything!! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: Hematologist and Iron Infusion

Missa--Welcome back!

You can use the search box located at the top of this page and search key words IV iron infusion, to hear what others in the past have had to say. There is a lot of information and experiences there.

I was sent to the Hematologist for IV iron, but he decided that I should go back on oral iron so I did, finally, and it worked for me. Have you exhausted trying different types of iron? You can't give up unless it's just not absorbing or you absolutely cannot tolerate them. You really should get to the root of the problem or it will become a cycle for you. IV iron will only last so long and you will have to have another round. It is reserved (because it is not without risk) for those that either do not absorb iron or those that cannot tolerate it. Take care and keep us posted. FLFG

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 04-09-2009, 05:58 AM   #3
    Missa21
    (female)

Missa21 HB User

I cannot tolerate oral iron. I've tried many times and many different kinds. It only makes me more miserable. I would rather be tired than to feel the consequences of taking iron. Haven't heard back from my GP, but maybe today. I'm shocked that my level has dropped this low. I know it isn't the lowest around but really I thought that when my diet improved off processed college food, all my levels would come up. My best total iron was 51 and I was still in school!!

I used to be a blood donor back then as well. Needless to say I gave that up!!

I don't really understand why I have no reserves. I'm still menstruating, but I've never had heavy bleeding issues. I get my period regularly and have "heavy" bleeding for about two days which includes lasting about 4 hours with a regular tampon. I don't think that's bad. Periods only last about 4-5 days. EGD was clear...no colonoscopy was done. I switched recently from Nexium to Prevacid. I can't stop the prevacid, though I've tried.

Its so confusing. Maybe hematology will help.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:21 AM   #4
    JewelryJulie
    Inactive
    (female)

JewelryJulie HB User

I also cannot tolerate oral iron and will be having 5 hours of iv iron infusions once a month for the next four months. I just had a hysterectomy as I had identical bleeding to you and thought it wasn't heavy but it is heavy enough. Now that I don't have a period--life is great!! (If you still want kids someday, you might want to go on the pill--if not, you can also have an "ablation" I just opted for the hysterectomy due to having a lot of people with cancer in my family and didn't want extra "parts" hangin around that can grow cancer--I also had a polyp on my cervix)

I would seriously work on eliminating your periods. Talk with your gyno. Those of us with iron problems are especially sensitive to blood loss.
    Good luck.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:56 AM   #5
    DianaRo42
    (female)

DianaRo42 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JewelryJulie View Post
    I also cannot tolerate oral iron and will be having 5 hours of iv iron infusions once a month for the next four months. I just had a hysterectomy as I had identical bleeding to you and thought it wasn't heavy but it is heavy enough. Now that I don't have a period--life is great!! (If you still want kids someday, you might want to go on the pill--if not, you can also have an "ablation" I just opted for the hysterectomy due to having a lot of people with cancer in my family and didn't want extra "parts" hangin around that can grow cancer--I also had a polyp on my cervix)

I would seriously work on eliminating your periods. Talk with your gyno. Those of us with iron problems are especially sensitive to blood loss.
    Good luck.
    Hi JewelryJulie,
    My reason for iron infusion was different, They now have a 8 minute push iron infusion, and it works really well. The infusion I had was 3 hr. was same iron they use in 8 min push, They just completed test and results were great. I was offered chance for study, but would have had to wait the weekend to find out if computer accepted me. I didn't feel I could afford the delay.

Before month was up, the test ended.

The new iron is different than the previous iron they used, less problems. I have call into doctors office for name of iron.

Just thought you might like to know, so you could ask about.

Let us know what happens, I'm fairly new, also.

Be praying, Hugs, DianaRo42

Old 04-09-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
    DianaRo42
    (female)

DianaRo42 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Missa21 View Post
    Hey, I've posted a few times in the past. I just had my blood redrawn the other day and my Total iron was 33 (40-175). This is down from 36 in my last three blood draws. My doctor recommended seeing a hematologist and possible iron infusion. I'm wondering if anyone here has had the infusion/pro's and con's/what type people had. I should be hearing from my doctor soon and he is setting up my stuff with the hematologist. I'd appreciate anything!! Thanks!
    Hi Missa21,

I had iron infusion and mine is a positive story. No bad effects to infusion, and after two infusions, and a month later Hgb is up to 13, from 5.6
    If all well next month will be released back to GP.

I did experience some pain one night, but nothing I couldn't handle, in lower hip area.. Otherwise smooth sailing.

The benadryl they gave me made me anxious, so I had doctor up amount, because it doesn't affect me that way. I use to sleep, when haven't sleep for days.

Never found reason for IDA, but common in people my age. 67. Even men in the late years get IDA. with no reason to be found.

I hope this help, checking previous boards for info, is good advice. That is what I did, before ever posted, myself.

Keep us posted, will be praying!
    Hugs, DianaRo42

The Following User Says Thank You to DianaRo42 For This Useful Post:
    Ms352LadyL (07-12-2012)
    Old 04-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
    Missa21
    (female)

Missa21 HB User

julie- I think that even though my periods aren't bad, they contribute slightly to my anemia, by keeping me from making huge gains. I've also been told that Prevacid may effect the absorption of iron.

With the exception of pills, I can't stop my period. Frankly, I'm too young to think about any of that. I'm 23 years old, single with no kids. I would be devastated not to have children in the future.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:07 PM   #8
    JewelryJulie
    Inactive
    (female)

JewelryJulie HB User

Quote:
    julie-
    With the exception of pills, I can't stop my period. Frankly, I'm too young to think about any of that. I'm 23 years old, single with no kids. I would be devastated not to have children in the future.
    You may be able to do the "only 4 periods a year" thing. Check into it. Having any bleeding when you are low on iron is NOT a good thing.

Best wishes, Julie

Old 04-09-2009, 06:53 PM   #9
    dpayzant
    (female)

dpayzant HB User

Quote:
    Hi, I have regular iron infusions usually 10 infusions spread out to Mon, Wed, Friday, 3 times a week for a month and then the hospital infusion clinic does a blood test to see what my iron level is, mine was 75 this time. The infusions aren't bad at all, the medicine I get is called venifer, I don't know the spelling but that is how the word sounds to me. The nurses hook up the intravenous apparatus and turn on the TV, give me a magazine if I choose, get me something to eat from the cafeteria if I like and a drink, then I recline in the recliner with a warm blanket over me and lights turned down if I like and eat, watch a movie, read or sleep for a half hour and I'm done, total time there about 1 hour. I love the nurses and atmosphere where I go to have my infusions, and I know I will feel better after about the 8th infusion. Then, I will feel OK for 6 months or so but as I keep getting lower on my iron I feel tired, out of breath, can't catch my breath, lack of oxygen, I look pale and tired and I get head aches more. Then it is time to get more infusions. I wish these insurance companies would pay for infusions before we get to 35 when they will pay. Half the year I feel lousy this way when if I could have an infusion once a month to keep me always up there at 125, 140 or more, I would feel good all the time. It makes life so hard this way. I wonder if we anemics could ever get together and get the laws and rules with the insurance cover changed. What do you think Anemic's?

Last edited by dpayzant; 04-09-2009 at 06:57 PM. Reason: forgot to put my name dpayzant

Old 04-10-2009, 09:00 AM   #10
    JewelryJulie
    Inactive
    (female)

JewelryJulie HB User

I didn't even know about the under 35 rule as I am not. I have a similar problem in getting them to pay for TMJ surgery, so I empathize, for sure. I am hoping that once we get our healthcare system fixed, these issues will go away.
    Best, Julie

Closed Thread