It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Chronic sinusitis since 1993 and nasal polyps now *sigh*

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-09-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User
    Chronic sinusitis since 1993 and nasal polyps now *sigh*

Hi everyone,
    I am new to this particular board. I have had chronic allergies and sinusitus since about 1993. It hasnt been real fun. It has really put a crimp in my life. I am 53 and all of a sudden in one year I got bad polyps! So now in Dec. I had to go on Prednisone for 20 days, among a lot of other pills and protocols to shrink the polyps. I felt better after that, but already they are bad and ever worse! Again, i am on Prednisone and a bunch of other drugs. They said the polyps grew back faster than they would have liked. (me, too!). So now I have a new dimension in chronic sinusitis. I had finally gotten the sinusitis halfway under control where I didnt have 7 infections in one year and now I have polyps to complicate it and make my sinuses worse. The head pressure is pretty debilitating. I am an elem. sub teacher who is about to quit because I take jobs ahead of time and then i am too sick to go. Its a real drag. I am seeing the ENT on May 5th (he is in my allergist's office). I take allergy shots, do nasal washes...know all the drills. How can a person be on Prednisone so much????????? It makes me so edgy and so insomniac that I have to take sleeping pills just to sleep. This is such a rut. Any advice or commisseration is welcome! THANKS!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #2
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
    Re: Chronic sinusitis since 1993 and nasal polyps now *sigh*

Sinusitus that is chronic may suggest another condition...and if that condition is bacterial in nature, prednisone would make it worse and other symptoms in other body systems could occur. So if you first presented with sinusitis and you had an undiagnosed infection going on, prednisone could weaken the immune system which in turn could result in problems with skin, joints, bones, urinary tract, sex drive, sleep, etc. Of course, symptoms could very well present in bones, joints, etc. and the sinusitis could occur after the other symptoms as well.

I suspect something other than the sinusitis is going on that is causing these problems.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 04-09-2009 at 11:03 AM.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

I get a lot of endoscopes and they see infections in there everytime. The usual drill is not to take Prednisone, but do an antibiotic, and only the rare Medrol dosepak. But with the polyps now, its becoming a steroid nightmare; an added variable. I had 2 sinus surgeries in the 90s, which did help because at least it enabled me to drain. But once these polyps came on the scene, this is worse than I ever imagined. I get swollen sinus lining from either an infection and/or allergic reaction. Either way, I get blocked with bad sinus pressure and then infection ensues. I am sure the more infections i have had thru the years, and the more surgery, the more vulnerable they have become. It was bad enough with without having to take Prednisone, but sheesh, the prednisone can make a person feel like they are going out of their mind.
    Thanks for responding

Old 04-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
    I take allergy shots, do nasal washes...know all the drills.
    Are you on other medications to prevent the recurrence of the polyps? Typically a nasal steroid spray can help slow down the regrowth of polyps.

Leukotriene inhibitors (Singulair or Zyflo CR) also seem to help slow or stop the recurrence of polyps in many people.

The other thing you might ask your allergist about is aspirin desensitization. Polpys can be associated with Samter's triad (a combination of polyps, asthma and aspirin sensitivity), and aspirin desensitization has shown positive results in relieving symptoms and stopping (or greatly delaying) the recurrence of polyps in people who are aspirin sensitive.

Last edited by gcsjr; 04-09-2009 at 03:37 PM.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

Thanks for interesting response. I have been on Rhinocort for many years and my Dr. has me doing it for the next 20 days....2 quirts in each nostrils 2 x a day. I was put on both Allegra and Singulair, but the steroids are killing my stomach (not to mention the Fluconozole to prevent fungal overgrowth). I have GERD so its really doing a job, all these medications. The taking of steroids for my sinuses and Advil for my arthritis gave me a bad stomach. Oh man, you know how it all goes. But as soon as possible I need to get myself on the Singulair with the Allegra. Naturally one of the side effects of the Singulair is stomach pain.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
    I have GERD
    Hopefully you're also taking something for the acid reflux. GERD can contribute to sinusitis symptoms so controlling your reflux may help alleviate your sinusitis symptoms.

I'm surprised to hear that your doctor doesn't have you on Rhinocort on an ongoing basis if you have a tendency to develop polyps, nasal steroid sprays are one of the primary preventive measures to help avoid the recurrence of polyps.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:53 AM   #7
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

I apologize. I didnt make myself clear. I have been on Rhinocort for many many years. My dose has just been upped a lot since the polyps. Oh yea, I am on all the good stuff. I am taking Aciphex for the GERD.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Skz,

All of your conditions could be explained by bacterial infections carried by ticks or other insects. Have you considered Lyme or its coinfections?

Old 04-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #9
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

No, but thanks for the info and I will research Lymes for sure.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #10
    Angel MJ
    (female)

Angel MJ HB User

hi ... also always been a chronic sinusitis sufferer ... never been tested for allergies but can tell you what i am allergic to ... dairy (chocolate ... i hate easter ... lol)
    i have SLE (systemic lupus) and was sent by my rheumie to ent ... polyp in nasal passage ... px with ** do not substitute for generics** assortment of drugs, nasal sprays, anti-bx ... did help ... i have not been back for far too long and get bad headaches, sometimes migraine. nasal passages burn, i stay away from certain foods ... or only if i can get an anti-histamine will i indulge ... but i watch what i eat (mostly i try ... when i cant i suffer my consequences)
    i need to get back to ent, my gp says i have a virus ... ears feel swollen & stuffed very dizzy, blurry ... want to ask about menieres disease.

i have just quit cigs and am looking fwd to getting smell back ...

Closed Thread