It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board

• Leaving kids in the car for 1 minute

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-09-2009, 08:45 AM   #1
    workmom
    (female)

workmom HB User
    Leaving kids in the car for 1 minute

I am a working mom who loves and adores her children. I sometimes will leave my 2 year-old in the car if is is raining or extremly cold outside to drop off my 4 year old at daycare. She is strapped in her carseat, I am only gone for a minute, the car is locked and I feel like is is better for my baby to be in a warm, locked car than lugged outside in the cold and rain. I know this is not what I "should do" since it is considered by some to be neglect and even illegal. I would like to know what other parents feel about this issue. Thanks for your personal feelings about this (not what society says you should feel.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
    Re: Leaving kids in the car for 1 minute

Always take your children with you when you leave the car. It only takes a second for a child to open the locked doors and get out into harms way. Being strapped in does not mean they will stay strapped when you walk away.

Children are tough little cookies and will survive getting in and out of the car whether it is cold and rainy or hot weather.

Children are too precious to take chances.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

I personally didn't leave my children in the car for any reason. I was too scared that even in just a short "minute" too many bad things could happen. If something bad happened to my children because I left them in the car, it would have been my fault because it would have been totally avoidable. I would have never been able to forgive myself.

This is only my opinion, and I'm not judging you in any way. Parents have to do what they feel is right by their children.

You will more than likely get opinions on both sides of the fence here.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
    workmom
    (female)

workmom HB User

I agree in some ways, but have had trouble thinking of any bad things that could happen. My daughter can not reach the locks, and can not un-do herself from the 5pt harness she is in. The car is locked, so no one can take her. The only situation I can think of is if there was an emergency lock-down in the 2 minutes I am inside and I would not be able to get back to her. This is too unlikely for me, so I tend not to consider it too seriously. Again, I would NEVER leave her in the heat or if I knew there was a chance I would be longer than 2 minutes. Here is a good question to consider: What is worse leaving your child in a locked car for a minute or smoking with your child in a car? Since I do not smoke, and have read the dangers of second hand smoke, I would say the latter. However, it is not illegal.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

You have to think about things such as someone hitting your car with their vehicle, and also someone who has bad intentions and wants to take a child can get into even a locked car fairly quickly. Daycare centers are places that pedophiles "case out". A child left in a car (even locked) is easy prey for someone who knows what they are doing.

I'm not trying to push my opinions off on you, just giving you some information, that's all.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
    E1979
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

E1979 HB User

I was thinking the exact same thing as the last poster. What if someone smashed into your car while you were inside. Or what if someone broke the window or jimmied the locks. I am sick just thinking of what could happen in a mere seconds never mind a few minutes. I beg you to stop doing this, kids don't mind being in and out of the car. My son likes the change of scenery. Could also be good for your son(I think you said son?) to see all the other kids in daycare and get used to the place while you drop the other one off, because I assume one day he'll be going too. So when that time comes he will recognize the place and it will be familiar to them. If you ever feel like it would just be easier to leave them in the car, stop and think about what you would do if something did happen!

Old 05-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #7
    LauraLu
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User

I agree with the previous posters...it's so not worth it.

Take your daughter inside with you. Just think of all of the horror stories you see on TV. People are sick. And it only takes those TWO minutes that you leave her for someone to smash your windows and take her. Not trying to scare you - just trying to warn you.

What I'm wondering though is this: If you're asking the question, then it must somehow bother you too? Just take her with you, please.

Last edited by LauraLu; 05-08-2009 at 06:38 PM.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #8
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

We had a dad here in northern VA who was dropping his older child off at school then got a call, went on to work, forgot the baby in the back seat, went into work and left the 3 month old in the car-locked-in the sun-all day. He remembered when he saw the rescue vehicles at his car. How horrid it was....

I never left our boys. My husband was in the AF and the services were in the forefront of pushing for child safety. So that was a big safety issue for the Air Force. My thought was we worked too hard to get those children, i wasn't going to jepardise them.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:42 PM   #9
    marisuela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

oh good grief..... my mom used to leave us in the car for hours while she went for groceries.... so did everyone else's parents back in the day! this whole thing has just become ridiculous! some of my favorite memories with my siblings is of playing in the car in the middle of the grocery store parking lot, waiting for our mom. and there wasn't a chance in heck that we'd dare get into the front seat, or leave the car, because our mom raised us right (ie: we knew she'd kill us if we did!).

anyway.... as long as it isn't illegal where you live, i don't think there is anything wrong with leaving your kid in the car for two minutes while you drop off the other one.

ibake&pray, isn't that the story where the dad forgot his baby under some unusual circumstances? didn't the mom usually take the baby with her, but she was sick that day or something, so the dad took the baby instead? and wasn't the dad sleep deprived and focused on work, and he just forgot? i hate that story!!! it's so sad!!!

workmom, weigh the benefits and risks of the situation. i've known kids who, if they get out in the rain for two seconds, will go into full blown pneumonia within 24 hours. obviously, they're safer staying in the car. i know other kids who have mastered the art of unbuckling their carseats and they fancy themselves racecar drivers.... obviously they are safer going inside with their parents.... do what you feel is best for your child and don't worry about what anyone else thinks!

Old 05-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #10
    weaver02
    (female)

weaver02 HB Userweaver02 HB Userweaver02 HB User

I have too left my child in the car for a minute or two to run in to some where when he was that age. I didn't want to drag him out in the pouring rain or I just didn't want to drag him out. It was mostly gas stations that I ran into for a minute and I could see him through the window. My son is now 8 and I sometimes ask if he wants to wait in the car while I go in the store. i don't know at this age if it's illegal or not. I also have a son thats 11 that stays with him. I only let my 8 year old stay in the car if his brother wants to stay too. This is when i am going to be more then a minute. They know not to open the doors for anyone. and i lock the doors and crack the windows ( if it's a little hot) when I leave them. If it's to hot outside They come in with me. If your asking others about how they feel do you feel a little guilty for doing it. Would you feel better if others do it? A lot of parents do it and a lot of parents don't do it. It's what ever you want to do. cars now a days will not go into gear unless the brake is pushed all the way down. but you souldn't leave your toddler in the car for very long.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:50 PM   #11
    marisuela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

PS....

When I said "good grief" in my previous post, I wasn't saying that against this question or any of the posts in this board!!! I just read what I wrote and thought it might have sounded ugly.... it wasn't meant to!!!

My "good grief" was just in response to everything we are told these days in regards to keeping our kids "safe." It's gotten to the point of being ridiculous! Baby proofing is one industry that really makes me crazy! And they are so good at making us feel like we are horrible parents if we don't do these things! What happened to good old fashioned common sense???

Anyway, that is what my "good grief" was in response to!

Old 05-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #12
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

It's as some people said - you should use your common sense (woefully absent these days of hypersensitivity and paranoia).

My own main problem with this - even a minute - is a) someone kidnapping the child and b) the car deciding to roll.

BTW, regarding either a) or b), PLEASE don't leave keys in the car, ESPECIALLY in the ignition! (I don't like that for ANY car, regardless of passengers - it's risky, especially for theives.)

But I wouldn't get over-concerned and uppity about a person who leaves the child there. It's up to you. There's no black or white about it.

BTW, along with the safety paranoia thing, does it ever occur to anyone that perhaps these kinds of incidents (the man with his poor baby - I remember that story) seem to happen MORE now that we have these ridiculous safety implement requirements? They ARE difficult and laborious to work over. It makes 1 not want to deal with it especially for a "minute steak" when it takes 5 minutes to get the kid out and in - thus, untended child.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:56 PM   #13
    marisuela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

As far as the keys in the car concern.... I totally agree!!! One thing I have installed in my car, is an automatic keyless start. In the middle of the hot summer, I can start my car while walking to it, and then it's starting to cool down by the time we get there.... (or the opposite in the winter) it's so nice!!! BUT, the car absolutely won't go anywhere without a key! I have no idea where it came from (we bought the car with it already installed), but if you can find it, I highly recommend it!!!

Old 06-10-2009, 06:27 PM   #14
    fufu
    Inactive
    (female)

fufu HB Userfufu HB User

You should never ever leave a child unattended in a car, period. No excuses, it was raining, he was sleeping, it was only for a minute. Leaving a child in a car alone is neglectful because you never know what can happen and i don't want to go through different scenarios with you i'm sure a lot of the previous posters have already done so.
    The fact that you're asking is great, that means that you're not so secure with your decision to actually leave your child in the car. I think the majority of people would answer in the same way, and some maybe not. As for some particular posters whose answer to everything is always "our mothers used to do it" i've said it before and i'll say it again , we are not our mothers, we have evolved as a society and have learned from the mistakes that were made, at least most of us did. You are the mother it is entirely your decision at the end of the day, make the right one, it's you that has to live with it.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:29 PM   #15
    dolejaly
    Veteran
    (female)

dolejaly HB User

I believe this would fall under the category of the perfect parent and what is the right way of doing things?...Well, each persons have their opinion of parenting, the do's and don'ts and it doesn't make it right nor wrong, in this case there is no such thing as a perfect parent....but, common sense is what matters..

Now as far as just plain out personal preference of parenting...In some cases leaving a child in the car for 1 to 2 minutes can be fine, but again it only takes one minute for something to happen...I have also left my child in the car(4yrs old) when I ran into a gas station real quick, but only if I could park right in front of the big window and see my child's every move, but each time I have done that, which isn't too many I think omg what if a car rams my car and my child gets hurt and I wasn't in there, not that I could do anything to stop the accident from happening, but the thought is still there...Now would I ever leave my child in the car under any circumstance and I could not visual see her, never......But, again that is me, I am sure my mom done that beings there was 7 of us and too many to handle in the store, but its all in the persons eye of what they feel comfortable. It does not make me a better parent or a bad parent, it just makes me a parent....

Closed Thread