It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Pregnant with Innapropriate Sinus Tachycardia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
    doxielover
    (female)

doxielover HB User
    Pregnant with Innapropriate Sinus Tachycardia

Just wondering if anyone had any advice to offer, I have tried over 12 different meds (betas & calcium channel blockers plus others, including sectral and fludrocortisone)

My EP has said that they will not see me until mid October (i'm due early November) to discuss delivery.

They said that I am basically destroying my heart muscle, since it works double time anyway, now it will be working 4x as hard.

They are also worried about left ventricular hyperplasia. I'm scheduled to have atleast two echo's during pregnancy.

It seems like now, a c-section is my only option. I can't imagine how miserable I'm going to be soon once my HR starts increasing even more. My resting is between 120-135. Minimal exertion it goes through the roof.

I also have MVP with a slight murmur. I'm 22 years old

Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
    hobbiesaregreat
    (female)

hobbiesaregreat HB User
    Re: Pregnant with Innapropriate Sinus Tachycardia

Just wondering if you heart rate was this high before the pregnancy? Could this be something related to the pregnancy hormones?

Old 04-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
    Amplifies
    (female)

Amplifies HB User

I was wondering how you found out that you had these heart problems? I'm 21 and also pregnant and have been very paranoid about giving birth vaginally. My heart skips a beat like 3-5 times a day, sometimes more or less.. And used to race all the time before I got pregnant, but it hasn't recently. I've never had any tests on my heart, so I'm worried that something could be wrong with it and we wouldn't even know. I know this isn't helping you at all, I'm really sorry. I don't know the answer, I was just curious how I could go about finding out. Thank you.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:00 AM   #4
    doxielover
    (female)

doxielover HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobbiesaregreat View Post
    Just wondering if you heart rate was this high before the pregnancy? Could this be something related to the pregnancy hormones?

oh no, my resting has always been 120-135..for over 8 years. I've tried over 12 different meds pre-pregnancy to bring it down. As my resting is so high with minimal exertion it goes through the roof..
    I'm always tired, doing the laundry gets me out of breath.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:03 AM   #5
    doxielover
    (female)

doxielover HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amplifies View Post
    I was wondering how you found out that you had these heart problems? I'm 21 and also pregnant and have been very paranoid about giving birth vaginally. My heart skips a beat like 3-5 times a day, sometimes more or less.. And used to race all the time before I got pregnant, but it hasn't recently. I've never had any tests on my heart, so I'm worried that something could be wrong with it and we wouldn't even know. I know this isn't helping you at all, I'm really sorry. I don't know the answer, I was just curious how I could go about finding out. Thank you.
    I found out because when I would go to the doctor they would freak out about how fast my heart rate was..and do an EKG.
    I was at the hospital one time on christmas eve because I had lost of my voice, etc. She sent me to see a doctor about my high heart rate..who straight up told me "you're going to die.." after he read my EKG. He then sent me to the hospital for more testing..who sent me to a cardiologist.

I've seen a cardiologist, pediatric cardiologist, and electrophysiologist since then. I moved though, so I had to find new doctors. The only way to fix what I have is to ablate my sinus node and have a pacemaker. Which we don't want to do yet because I"m so young & that means multiple surgeries.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:32 AM   #6
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by doxielover View Post
    ... I have tried over 12 different meds (betas & calcium channel blockers plus others, including sectral and fludrocortisone) ... my resting has always been 120-135..for over 8 years. ... I'm always tired, doing the laundry gets me out of breath.
    I've lived with a very fast heart-rate condition for over 20 years. Mine is controlled very well, right now, with a combination of Digoxin and Coreg, which not only gives me a relatively healthy heart-rate, but also helps to repair the damage to my heart from my previous episodes of uncontrolled, fast heart-rate.

It is very important that you get your resting heart-rate down to healthy levels.

I am curious to know why none of the 12 different meds failed to slow down your heart-rate? Did you have bad reactions to the medications? Were any of the meds successful at slowing your heart-rate, but gave you too many bad side effects?

⇒ Cheap effective asthma inhaler: Fluticasone Nasal Spray!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
    doxielover
    (female)

doxielover HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
    I've lived with a very fast heart-rate condition for over 20 years. Mine is controlled very well, right now, with a combination of Digoxin and Coreg, which not only gives me a relatively healthy heart-rate, but also helps to repair the damage to my heart from my previous episodes of uncontrolled, fast heart-rate.

It is very important that you get your resting heart-rate down to healthy levels.

I am curious to know why none of the 12 different meds failed to slow down your heart-rate? Did you have bad reactions to the medications? Were any of the meds successful at slowing your heart-rate, but gave you too many bad side effects?
    My previous electrophysiologist said that I wasn't damaging my heart from it beating so fast, but he has left the practice and the practice owner who is a very good doctor says that it can and will cause cardiomyopathy.

None of the medications touched my heart rate. They all lowered my blood pressure too much and I was passing out. My heart rate remained the same as pre-med.

They did make me extremely tired as well, since they were nto affected my heart rate their was no need to stay on them. Some of them affected my migraines too. In the end though, none of them helped...Let me try to think of everything i've been on..

fludrocortisone, sectral (acebutolol), atenolol, metoprolol, toprol xl, bystolic, nadolol (corgard), verapamil, cartia...can't remember what else. but like i said my blood pressure which is normally low anyway.. 100/80 ish, was dropping so low I was passing out.

Because mine is a normal rhythm it is harder for drugs to control the rate..what causes your fast heart condition? a-fibb??

Last edited by doxielover; 04-09-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:10 AM   #8
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by doxielover View Post
    My previous electrophysiologist said that I wasn't damaging my heart from it beating so fast, but he has left the practice and the practice owner who is a very good doctor says that it can and will cause cardiomyopathy.
    I experienced a rapid heart beat (tachycardia), of about 160 beats per minute, for seven months, non stop. It resulted in Cardiomyopathy/Heart Failure. My Cardiologist, at that time, explained that, any muscle that is over-worked, including the heart, and is not allowed to rest, will weaken. A heart which is constantly stressed out with a rapid heart beat will gradually weaken.

One thing for sure....... it is not healthy for a heart to continuously race.

Quote:
    None of the medications touched my heart rate. They all lowered my blood pressure too much and I was passing out. My heart rate remained the same as pre-med.
    Digoxin has been the most effective medication for keeping my heart beat at a reasonable level, and Digoxin has minimal effect on the blood pressure. Digoxin has been around for a couple hundred years and has a good track record. Has your doctor mentioned Digoxin as a possibility? If not, why not?

Quote:
    They did make me extremely tired as well,
    Welcome to the wonderful world of medications that attempt to slow down your system. One of the big problems with heart medications, including Digoxin, is that they can make you tired and/or lethargic. I have got to talk myself into "getting things done". Of course..... everyone is different and reacts somewhat differently.

Quote:
    ... but like i said my blood pressure which is normally low anyway.. 100/80 ish, was dropping so low I was passing out.
    Digoxin has minimal effects on the blood pressure.

Quote:
    what causes your fast heart condition? a-fibb??
    I am not sure. I know that my current Atrial Fibrillation would cause a fast heart beat, if I wasn't on Digoxin, but I had problems with episodes of tachycardia (fast heart rate) for many years prior to my heart failure and AFib.

Good luck with finding a medication/doctor that can get your heart beating more normal and healthy!

⇒ Cheap effective asthma inhaler: Fluticasone Nasal Spray!

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily

Last edited by Machaon; 04-10-2009 at 06:13 AM.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #9
    svtpregnant
    (female)

svtpregnant HB User

Hi, i have always had a fast heart rate, although its never been called IST. Not seen a cardiologist in 10 years though lol. My doc gives me atenolol which normally controls it. I am now pregnant (also due early november) and decided to not take any drugs while pregnant. seriousally struggling but babs is fine. My OB has writen SVT on my notes but i didnt want to be refered to a cardiologist till after the babs is born as doc really get my hearet rate going crazy. How the pregnancy going :-) Are you able to do anything i am pretty much house bound as so tired. would be nice to hear from someone in the same situation.

Closed Thread