It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• What happens when you take Adderall....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
    boicrazy3188
    Veteran
    (female)

boicrazy3188 HB User
    What happens when you take Adderall....

And you don't have ADD?

I was told by a friend who has ADD that Adderall helps you concentrate and be less "all over". But, if someone took Adderall and they didn't have the disorder they would have the opposite effect. Is this true, and what would this include?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: What happens when you take Adderall....

If you take a "regular" dosage of Adderall, and you don't have ADD, for most people it would be like drinking one cup of coffee. It might wake up up a bit if you are tired, it won't have any drastic effects.

If you take an OVERDOSE of Adderall, then you might bounce off the walls for a while, whether you have ADD or not.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
    If you take a "regular" dosage of Adderall, and you don't have ADD, for most people it would be like drinking one cup of coffee. It might wake up up a bit if you are tired, it won't have any drastic effects.

If you take an OVERDOSE of Adderall, then you might bounce off the walls for a while, whether you have ADD or not.
    Jane,

Generally true. Some people whether ADD or not get sedated. Go figure.

Bob

Old 04-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #4
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Ah, yes. Some people do have other reactions, and getting drowsy is probably the most common.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
    dhilbun
    (female)

dhilbun HB User

my little guy ( 4 then )found one of my daughter's addrell 10 mg pill that I had dropped and he was up all night and seeing thing. I took him to the hospital and they monitor him there and he finally came down off it the med. just depends on the dose and the size of person taking it .

Last edited by dhilbun; 04-05-2009 at 05:34 PM.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:55 AM   #6
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dhilbun View Post
    my little guy ( 4 then )found one of my daughter's addrell 10 mg pill that I had dropped and he was up all night and seeing thing. I took him to the hospital and they monitor him there and he finally came down off it the med. just depends on the dose and the size of person taking it .
    Your son's response is typical. Kids finding anything is too. Sedation is usually a paradoxical response. For example, I have occasionally taken 5 mg of Adderall to help me sleep. It is enough Adderall to calm my restlessness but not enough to overcome my fatigue. My blood pressure at times drops for similar reason. Nevertheless a stimulate stimulates. My best guess is that uncharacteristic responses are caused by unknown factors. They can confuse patients and doctors alike so we should beware.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
    pixiepoodle
    Veteran
    (female)

pixiepoodle HB User

With drugs you never know how each person is going to respond. I was recently diagnozed with ADD (and I've had OCD most of my 57 years). Basically, Adderall is a stimulant that is supposed to calm you down if you have ADD so you can focus, etc. Some drs. prescribe it as a diet aid for obesity because it normally curbs your appetite.

There is a small percentage of people with ADD who get the stimulant side effects anyway, even though it still helps their ADD in various ways. I know this because I am one of those who turns into the energizer bunny, who keeps going and going. I've got an appt. with my dr. tomorrow to get off Adderall because even after cutting back from 1 1/2 tablets of 20 mg to a 1/2 tablet, I'm still up around the clock and get very little sleep.

My ADD improved the most on the 1 1/2 tablets, but an even worse side effect I had was profuse sweating to the point that I couldn't dry my short babyfine hair with a hairdryer, no matter how long I tried because my head would be sweating continuously most of the day. Adderall did kill my appetite and I lost 5 lbs., but I've gained it all back after cutting back to a 1/2 tablet because that small amt. wasn't strong enough to curb my appetite and actually made me so nervous and irritable that I snacking all the time.

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-15-2009 at 09:36 PM. Reason: moved off-topic question to new thread

Old 05-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #8
    righteousx
    (male)

righteousx HB User

My buddy takes it just to get work done... I've been told unless you have something to do, it's not that great. Tempting though when I have homework, but I wonder what the long term side effects are

Old 05-04-2009, 04:50 PM   #9
    armyofone0508
    (female)

armyofone0508 HB User

yeah, i used to give a friend (i know, bad) adderall to help him with enrgy and motivation at work.i have add...it does calm me down with my thinking, focus, but i also reap the energy benefits. too bad im going such a high dose of the xr. oh yeah. my boyfriend took it once (again, bad me) and was zoom zoom zoom...like speedy gonzales. then he crashed, hard.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:04 PM   #10
    JessieGirl
    (female)

JessieGirl HB User

When I take it I actually find my keys in 10 minutes instead of 40! I take 20-30mg a day, usu 20 when I get up and another 10 (though sometimes 20) in the afternoon, I take generic, not the XR, as I do not mind taking it twice and it is so much more affordable. It has been life changing in many ways, I am just able to get things done in a way I never could before and I am almost 38. I had a few headaches at first but otherwise no sides. I was *hoping* for a loss of appetite but no such luck! From what I have read and been advised, for (most) people who truly need it for the purpose of ADD you do not get the sides. What I have noticed though, on days when I forget to take it (ha ha I know) I am very down mood wise, just feel depressed and overwhelmed and then I actually catch myself, stop and say wait - I didn't take it today. I take it and honestly (or sadly) I am better in 20-30 min. That said, I guess I'm hooked but overall the benefits have been tremendous.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:14 PM   #11
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jessiegirl: Sounds like it is indeed working for you. And you are lucky you don't get the side effects (I sure do!)

If you ever did decide to quit it for one reason or another, you'd probably have those negative effects for a few days, then they'd improve. Skipping a day once in a while can also reduce dependence.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:01 PM   #12
    pixiepoodle
    Veteran
    (female)

pixiepoodle HB User

I don't understand why 1/2 of my comments were taken off and put under another topic when this is the board for ADD and I mentioned I was going to get off Adderall and try Straterra instead. There are some people with ADD that can't tolerate stimulants and I am one of them (its probably because I have low thyroid issues and I'm not allowed to even take over the counter cold medicine because it acts like a stimulant for me). The only alternative to anyone trying Adderall who is extremely sensitive to the side effect of having trouble sleeping, there is only one non-stimulant available and that is Straterra. With that said, I will now shut up and not discuss my experience with it.

Closed Thread