It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• HGSIL and abdominal pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
    jenniferab
    (female)

jenniferab HB User
    Question HGSIL and abdominal pain

Hello!

I have a colposcopy and biopsy scheduled for tomorrow and I will be asking about an ECC since my pap was returned with possible HGSIL. I am very nervous and worried, perhaps unnecessarily, but I tend to be a worrier anyway.

My concern is this... my orginal appointment was rescheduled due to my period starting. My period stopped last Friday and I am having severe cramps. I have zero spotting right now, but the cramping is really intense. Occasionally when I stand, I will feel pinching or stretching pain but it does not feel like muscular pain - it feels like it is happening in my reproductive area in general. It is not a sharp pain but it is intensely painful when it happens to the degree that I will yell out if it catches me off guard. In the interest of background, I have always had cramps and they have been severe on a handful of occasions. Typically I would cramp during my period but sometimes about a week before. I have never cramped after. I know that I don't have a UTI/Kidney Infection although I have had about six in the last eighteen months with no leads on why. This pain and cramping started at the beginning of my period, 4/7/09.

So... I am wondering if I am just worrying myself sick and creating phantom pain or if this is something to address with my doctor. This might sound silly but I just don't want to sound like a basket case and not be taken seriously. I must say that I have an amazing doctor and I have never felt diminished by him but I just don't know whether or not this pain is related. If it is not, I'd rather focus on the matter at hand.

I know that HGSIL on a pap is inconclusive and even if it is an accurate screen that HGSIL does not necessarily mean cancer. I'm just really scared and being in pain along with fear is not a fun place to be.

I hope someone has some experience or insight to offer... thank you in advance!!!

Thanks,

Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
    Re: HGSIL and abdominal pain

I don't know what is true for you, but :blushing: I tend toward constipated and when things aren't going well, I get some really bad abdominal cramps. It was really bad about 2 years ago until my doctor and I started trying to figure out where my abdominal cramping was coming from. By the way, *I* figured it out as constipation, not her! Some of the cramping were quite centrally located (over my uterus or over my left ovary). I don't know how or why, but that is how it felt.

I strongly suggest you take a written list of questions to your appointment. Have your top concerns listed first, then your questions. I do this. My doctor can glance over my concerns, so she can pace the appointment to hit the high points (and clump the problems because she may suspect things are connected, that I may not connect). Leave room for writing answers.

Good luck tomorrow! Let us know how you are doing!

Old 04-15-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
    zoe96
    Veteran
    (female)

zoe96 HB User

Hi there --

In addition to what Pickle said, I can tell you this: when I was first diagnosed and the docs were determining the extent of my problem, I had pains in every place that they were potentially looking for a problem. For me, it was totally psychosomatic, and once I knew that I was okay, the pain mysteriously went away. This continued right through to after my surgery. I was at home recovering, and due to a miscommunication from a terrible resident, I was left with the impression that they took more lymph nodes than they did; so, I laid there looking at my legs, swearing they were swelling up and I was already suffering the effects of lymphedema....until I went for my one week follow up and was told they barely took any nodes, and lymphedema was not something I'd have to worry about. Suddenly my legs felt fine, and didn't look swollen. I was just nuts.

Having said that, I would mention it to your doctor. Don't worry about sounding like a basket case. You never know when mentioning just one thing will make a difference in how your doc treats/examines you. You can always preface your complaint with "I don't know if this has anything to do with things" or "I'm not sure if I'm just imagining this pain because I'm worried."

So, don't be nervous and cause yourself more stress than necessary (advice I often give but rarely heed)!

Do let us know how you are doing!!!

Old 04-15-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoe96 View Post
    Having said that, I would mention it to your doctor. Don't worry about sounding like a basket case. You never know when mentioning just one thing will make a difference in how your doc treats/examines you. You can always preface your complaint with "I don't know if this has anything to do with things" or "I'm not sure if I'm just imagining this pain because I'm worried."
    Amen, Amen, Amen, Amen!

I strongly believe that my doctor went ahead and sent me to get my colposcopy (instead of waiting and rechecking in 6 months) BECAUSE I always told her my concerns. I usually said what Zoe mentioned (this may not have anything to do with antyhing . . . "). I think if I had been less open with my doctor about my concerns she might have brushed off the high risk HPV diagnosis (which actually she was doing until I went for a SECOND appointment just to talk about the test results.

Just a month ago, I went back to my GP (who originally diagnosed the hrHPV) and she said, "most of the things I've seen you for over the past 5 years were for problems with your lower abdomen." Perhaps that's what made her be mroe agressive . . . or it was my guardian angel . . .

Old 04-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
    jenniferab
    (female)

jenniferab HB User

Oh, Pickle... thank you! Your comment made me laugh. To say that I tend toward constipated is an understatement. My husband does his business like clockwork, every morning, conveniently right before I get in the shower. How kind! I, on the other hand, can go days without the slightest hint of bm, but I'm not much of a cramper in that way. Menstral cramps, sure but not so much in my bowels. I had two very severe intestinal infections last year that left me on weeks long doses of strong antibiotics but still no cramping. So it is entirely possible but I think my body is just reacting to my mental state in the area where my concern is concentrated, and my bowels happen to be right next door. I'm glad we're all shameless enough to share!!!

And Zoe... thank you so much to you as well and I appreciate the encouragement. I feel so sheepish which is not me at all. I am normally a very assertive, sometimes even eloquent person and I find that my thoughts and words are failing me and I'm afraid to go in with a bout of verbal diarrhea and then burst into tears. Oh my poor husband... I have a feeling that we might laugh about this in years to come.

I'll begin with my list now... I have been pouring over so many different internet and other resources these last few days that suddenly my mind is blank and my thoughts escape me - do you have any suggestions on questions or do you mind sharing what you asked?

Thank you!!!

Jen

Old 04-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #6
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Let me start by saying questions your doctor will likely not be able to answer are: how long have I had this? who gave it to me? what will happen (crystal ball) to me?

Ask about your specific diagnosis. If you have a pathology report, ask about what was biopsied, how, why, what the results mean.

Ask about what the next step is. Ask about alternatives, biopsies, surgeries, supplements, etc

Tell your doctor what your wishes are (treatment wise, like want a hyst? want to maintain fertility? etc).

Ask where you can get more information. Ask if/when you can call your doctor's office if you have questions and who you will likely speak with (nurse, doctor, etc).

That is a summarized list of what I usually took with me. Know that the doctor most likely won't be able to answer all of your questions. Put the most pressing ones at the top. If you have several things you want to address (cramping, dysplasia, pathology reports) then make a short list at the top of your list of questions.

I hope that helps!

Closed Thread