It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Back on the iron tablets again

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2009, 01:37 PM   #46
    gemini123
    (female)

gemini123 HB User
    Re: Back on the iron tablets again

Hi all,

Just thought i would post for last week,

I ran out of ferrous fumarate tablets so i took some ferrous sulphate tablets i had instead, however this seemed to cause me some stomach ache high in the abdomen mainly but also in other places so i reduced the number i was taking to 1/2 per day. As i am not anaemic simply low ferritin i knew that it would be ok for me to do this. Anyway today i have bought some more ferrous fumerate and so i will go back to the three per day.

I have had a really good week, my energy levels are better again and i have been out jogging, been to uni, been out with friends, taken the kids out all because i have enough enegy to do these things which is great. Of course i still feel tired but it is a normal feeling of tiredness not the type i felt before taking the tablets.

I have a smear test due on 17th April and i shall get my bloods retested in that week too so another couple of weeks to go

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2009, 04:44 PM   #47
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

That's excellent that you are feeling well enough to do all those things

Good luck with your smear. I should get my results in a week. I so hope it's all gone through ok and i don't have to have a repeat!!

Old 03-29-2009, 05:15 PM   #48
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Audrey, do you get pelvic pains? My fibroids were left in place because they are expected to shrink in time, as I progress to and through menopause and the estrogen level drops. I've been having pelvic pains, severe at times, for quite some time now. I wonder if they could be fibroid-related. By the way, the fibroids were missed on the first v. ultrasound just like FlFlowergirl's polyps, and other findings were overestimated. My gynecologist questioned the u/s results and requested another one at a different lab that he deals with. That is how the fibroids were found.

Does anemia - hemoglobin and ferritin levels- affect our hormones in any way?

FG

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 03-29-2009 at 05:30 PM.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:18 PM   #49
    gemini123
    (female)

gemini123 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Audrey-B View Post
    That's excellent that you are feeling well enough to do all those things

Good luck with your smear. I should get my results in a week. I so hope it's all gone through ok and i don't have to have a repeat!!
    I will have my fingers crossed for you Audrey xx

Old 03-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #50
    gemini123
    (female)

gemini123 HB User

Quote:
    Hi Gemini - unfortunately a lot of doctors appear to prefer the easy way out of a situation. Who knows, maybe the more of these coils they issue to females the more money they get from the company involved with selling them. All kinds of things go in the medical field. If they weren't doctors and were ordinary business men i'm sure the police would be investigating half of them!!

FLFLOWERGIRL - with your internal ultrasound not picking up the polyps, how were the polyps actually found? (sorry if i've asked this question before ) I get worried with what gets discovered and what doesn't as it likely depends on the doctor doing the procedure. I have the one fibroid, which is growing slowly. I know it's likely to blame for some of my symptoms, yet i know the excess estrogen can be the culprit too. It's sort of like being stuck between a rock and a hard place, do i get rid of the fibroid and another grows back due to my excess estrogen or do i leave it and correct the excess estrogen. I'm tired of being on herbs from the naturopath to keep my periods in line.

Hmmmm, who said being a female was easy!!
    Being female we seem to have drawn the short straw

It certainly seems that unfortunately women who go to the doctors with symptoms tend to be ignored,

I heard about a lady today who had gone to the doctors complaining of worsening period pains and the doctor did nothing just said take pain killers and basically ignored her out it down to an histerical woman. She since became pregnant and during a scan they found a large cyst,or was it a fibroid?, on the ovary that now has to be removed. The woman has had her baby and they need to do the surgery asap which is during her mat leave and will be recovering for 6 weeks. Why did they not listen to what she was saying and investigate before hand..... they are rubbish

Old 04-02-2009, 04:40 AM   #51
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

gemini - yes, i do at times think us women drew the short straw!! Although prostate cancer really seems to be catching up so i doubt males have as relaxed a race to the finish line as they once did. But i still believe us women have more issues to deal with considering we have periods and pregnancies.

flowergirl2day - i dont think hemoglobin and ferritin issues cause our hormonal disturbances. At least i've never come across information of that sort. Our hormones are affected by things like stress, diet, chemicals, pollutants, plastics, styrofoam, hormones fed to animals etc etc.

Excess estrogen causes a whole range of issues eg: fibroids, PMS, weight gain, hair shedding, loss of libido, mood swings, heavy/disrupted and or painful menstrual cycles, breast/head/neck cancers in women an prostate cancers in men.

I have also read that things like adrenal fatigue and thyroid problems come under moderate excess estrogen symptoms while they now believe there are links to high estrogen levels and fybromialgia. I already have the adrenal and thyroid issues, although now my doctor has the adrena issue under control and i no longer have to take meds for that.

The problem is that these days they don't test our hormones, or don't do it properly or they do hormone testing but a lot of women are on the pill. Most doctors don't even tell you what time of day you ought to do hormone testing at and most don't care so long as you fall within a lab range.

I had hormone testing via blood tests at various stages over the last 10 - 12 years and i was always told everything was fine. Some of those tests were performed in the afternoon. It was only last year that i found out all hormone testing should be done earlier in the morning. My thyroid doctor also did my first hormone test via saliva and not blood as he feels it's more accurate. This was the first time i was told what i already knew, that my hormones were messed up.

My doctor has being trying a natural method to lower my estrogen, by using Indolplex (DIM), which helps metabolise excess estrogen and i have to get retested in a couple of weeks or so, but i'm not sure it's worked. I think the next thing will be to somehow take progesterone, which should help lower my estrogen.

What scares me is that a lot of people with weird period issues are simply told to go on the pill, but a lot of the new forms of the pill are high estrogen or estrogen only. Adding more estrogen into an already unbalanced hormonal system is a recipe for disaster.

Anyway, i'll continue getting an anual ultrasound to monitor things. I'll see what my pap test says and i might need to see a gyn. If my estrogen/progesterone can be balanced i might not have the period issues i've been having for ages now and with estrogen balanced, my fibroid should shrink or half growing. I don't get period pains at the start of my periods, but once in a while i'll get pain when they've finished, but not every time, which is weird. I'm not in so much pain that i have to do something soon. It's more a case of my periods being very irregular so i have to take herbs daily from a naturopath. If i wasn't on these herbs i'd be spotting constantly, irregular cycles, wouldn't know if they were starting or stopping.

It makes my head spin. I never knew of the impact of excess estrogen on our system. Having just that one hormone out of balance can do so much damage and is so disruptive. I think my hormonal imbalance is at the root of my period issues, not so much the actual fibroid itself. This is why i'm not in a hurry to remove it as i know fibroids tend to shrink through menopause due to lack of estrogen.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:59 AM   #52
    gemini123
    (female)

gemini123 HB User

I went for my blood test and had my smear last friday (17th) so i rang the surgery today to see if the results were back. A week is usually long enough but i rang and the receptionist would only give me the B12 level which was 335. Apparantly the other results are back in but the doctor hasnt seen them yet so she cant tell me the other values

So more waiting.

My B12 levels, although are within their normal range, have dropped since the last one i had which was 539 and i was just having a look at some sites that said in some countries such as Japan their normal ranges start at 500/550.

So i may just have shop for some foods high in B12 just in case. It is a little odd as i am taking vitamin supp which contains B12

Last edited by gemini123; 04-23-2009 at 02:26 PM.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #53
    herekittykitty
    Veteran
    (female)

herekittykitty HB User

How much B12 is in your multivitamin? Multivitamins usually don't have enough of each vitamin, otherwise they would be too big to swallow! LOL

I take methylcobalamin 1000 daily. It is supposed to be a more absorbable kind of B12. You are also supposed to take methylfolate (folic acid) along with the B12. That is supposed to help with the absorption also.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #54
    gemini123
    (female)

gemini123 HB User

Thanks Kitty, i take a simple multi vit but perhaps it would be worth trying something else?
    Is it right that you just get rid of any excess vit B 12 via kidneys in the urine so it wont become toxic if you take too much? (unlike iron!!)

The iron tablets have started to give me stomach problems so i have stopped taking them for now but i need to hear from the doctor what i need to do next (if i hear from them at all!!)

Old 04-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #55
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi gemini - i agree with herekittykitty. If you are depleted in a certain nutrient then you definitely need to supplement that missing thing on it's own eg: just like you supplement iron on it's own, Vit D on it's own, you should also supplement B12 on it's own, rather than taking a multivitamin only.

Multivitamins are more of a 'pick me up', in my opinion, if you have been burning the candle at both ends, recovering from a cold/virus, etc etc. When you have serious issues then multivitamins are just not strong enough. You can still take them, so long as you suppelement the additional things.

I too have heard of supplementing folic acid along with B12. My dad's B12 was extremely low and i got him to take some sublingual B12 (which you dissolved in your mouth). This form is more readily absorbably. He went from 200 (bottom was 180) up to 526 in a space of 5 weeks. I think the cut of maximum range was 700 and a bit.

His doctor never felt he needed to up his B12 or his very low Vit D, but i forced him to and it did him the world of good. He could never good a full nights sleep, but now he sleeps the night through. He can't believe it. So don't worry about going it alone, so long as you get another recheck to see where your levels are. Even if your ferritin is within range, but at the lower end, keep at it, even though your doctor will likely say you don't need to take anything.

If the brand of iron you are on is making you ill, either lower the dose or try something a bit easier on the stomach. Have you spoken to a chemist? they are often more helpful than your GP and chemists speak to people all day long and hear what works and what doesn't. Stopping the iron supplement will only send you backwards, so be careful there.

My pap test wasn't good. I have to now have another colposcopy in about 3 weeks. Good luck with your other results

Old 04-25-2009, 01:59 AM   #56
    gemini123
    (female)

gemini123 HB User

Quote:
    Hi gemini - i agree with herekittykitty. If you are depleted in a certain nutrient then you definitely need to supplement that missing thing on it's own eg: just like you supplement iron on it's own, Vit D on it's own, you should also supplement B12 on it's own, rather than taking a multivitamin only.
    Hi Audrey, i looked at how much was in the multi vitamin and it has 1ug lol so as Kitty also advise i shall ask the pharmacist for a higher dose and aim to raise it to around 600. I wish they had done a test for Vit D as i realise that they are all linked in some way.

Multivitamins are more of a 'pick me up', in my opinion, if you have been burning the candle at both ends, recovering from a cold/virus, etc etc. When you have serious issues then multivitamins are just not strong enough. You can still take them, so long as you suppelement the additional things.

I too have heard of supplementing folic acid along with B12. My dad's B12 was extremely low and i got him to take some sublingual B12 (which you dissolved in your mouth). This form is more readily absorbably. He went from 200 (bottom was 180) up to 526 in a space of 5 weeks. I think the cut of maximum range was 700 and a bit.

His doctor never felt he needed to up his B12 or his very low Vit D, but i forced him to and it did him the world of good. He could never good a full nights sleep, but now he sleeps the night through. He can't believe it. So don't worry about going it alone,
    Im glad you dad is feeling better with raised levels, gosh he really was low in B12 wasnt he. I bet he is glad you got him to take the supplements

so long as you get another recheck to see where your levels are. Even if your ferritin is within range, but at the lower end, keep at it, even though your doctor will likely say you don't need to take anything.
    I will make sure i get tested regularly this year to keep levels up. I started retaking the ferrous fumerate yesterday just one for now then i will increase to 2 next week untill i get my results back

If the brand of iron you are on is making you ill, either lower the dose or try something a bit easier on the stomach. Have you spoken to a chemist? they are often more helpful than your GP and chemists speak to people all day long and hear what works and what doesn't. Stopping the iron supplement will only send you backwards, so be careful there.
    Will do, if i get anymore probs i will ask the chemist

My pap test wasn't good. I have to now have another colposcopy in about 3 weeks. Good luck with your other results
    So sorry to hear this Audrey, i have my fingers crossed for you xx

Old 04-25-2009, 04:48 AM   #57
    gemini123
    (female)

gemini123 HB User

I had been trying to excercise by jogging which i was doing ok but i had to stop a couple of weeks ago i had a terrible bout of diarrhoea. No temperature just stomach cramps etc (i wont go into too much detail!!!) anyway that kept me in bed for a couple of days and the rest of the week recovering. But i havnt got back into excercise since. I feel very bloated and uncomfortable low in the abdomen and i must try and lose some weight but i am not being very successful at this at all.

Just some extra notes so i have written everything in case i need to look back
    At the smear my blood pressure was 112/70 which is great but this is unusual for me it used to be around 135/80
    the past few weeks i have had black floating shadow things!!
    I still have the pea sized lump on the side of my neck which has been around for a cople of years it is no bigger and not painful and is moveable.

Last edited by gemini123; 04-25-2009 at 06:09 AM.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:00 AM   #58
    herekittykitty
    Veteran
    (female)

herekittykitty HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gemini123 View Post
    Thanks Kitty, i take a simple multi vit but perhaps it would be worth trying something else?
    Is it right that you just get rid of any excess vit B 12 via kidneys in the urine so it wont become toxic if you take too much? (unlike iron!!)

The iron tablets have started to give me stomach problems so i have stopped taking them for now but i need to hear from the doctor what i need to do next (if i hear from them at all!!)
    You will just get rid of it, that's correct.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:10 AM   #59
    gemini123
    (female)

gemini123 HB User

Thks herekittykitty i will get some b12 soon, it cant hurt can it!

Old 04-26-2009, 12:03 AM   #60
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Gemini - with losing weight, often weight can be difficult to remove if hormones are out of balance and weight gain can also be linked to Vit D deficiency as well as iodine deficiency. There are other things associated with weight gain, but often people aren't aware if they have a deficiency that it leads to the body storing fats rather than using them for energy. Often the weight gain is unfortunately around the middle area, especially in hormonal type of weight gain.

With the black floaty things, i get that too (if it's the same thing i'm thinking of) sometimes i see it and it looks like a tiny piece of black lint floating at the corner of my eye. If it try to follow it, it disappears. My optometrist said it's common, but i forget the exact reason for it happening. It might be a good idea to see an optometrist if you haven't already as dark shadowy things in front of the eye can also be a sign of macula degeneration, but that's usually associated with much older people. Still, doesn't hurt to get an eye check up and tell them what you are seeing.

With the pea like thing at your neck, has anybody given idea's on what it is? It's natural these days to be worried about lumps and bumps as your mind automatically goes to "cancer". So long as someone has checked it out, that is the main thing.

With your bloating issue, it could be as a result of the bout of diarrhoea you had, or if you have ovulated it could be linked to PMS. I had the most awful PMS bloating each month since Christmas but since i've been taking the Vitex tablets from the naturopath it seems to have eased all my PMS symptoms. I believe you can buy these at the chemist too. It's made from the Chasteberry tree and has been around for 2000 years. The brand i'm on is Premular. I hate bloating. It would have to be the worst symptom of anything. I felt as though i was pregnant or if i stuck a pin in my belly i'd deflate and float off into the sky like those cartoon characters

Hope you feel better soon

Closed Thread