It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Back on the iron tablets again

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-27-2009, 03:37 AM   #61
    gemini123
    (female)

gemini123 HB User
    Re: Back on the iron tablets again

I just gave the GP a call

and i managed to get a few more results

after 3 months of taking iron tablets three times a day things are on the way up

B12 335 (was 539)
    folate 8.2 (was 8.7)

ferritin 18.6 (was 8.8)
    WBC 4.1 (was 3.2)
    neutrophils 1.9 (was 1.5)

It shows how the iron levels are linked with white blood cells. So higher iron levels = better immune system?

I asked the receptionist if i should keep taking the iron tablets and she said that she would!! I dont think a doctor has even made a comment about it or left any instructions this was the receptionists thought. Also no instruction as to if i need to be retested at any time in the future!

I will pop in later and get a print out of the results

Last edited by gemini123; 04-27-2009 at 03:42 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2009, 09:33 AM   #62
    gemini123
    (female)

gemini123 HB User

Picked up the rest of the results they must think i am mad but i can see how things are improving when i see it on paper and it shows that i am still under the bottom range in ferritin so another 3 months and i should get there.

collected 19 jan 2009 collected 17th april
    TFT
    FREE T4 = 11.8 pmol/l (7.86-14.41)
    Thyroid stim. hormone = 1.28 mlU/L (0.35 - 5.50)

FERRITIN = 8.8 ug/L (22-322)18.6 *

FBC
    WBC = 3.2 (4.0 - 11.0) 4.1
    PLTS= 249 (12-400) 250
    HB =13.7 (11.5 - 16) 14.5
    RBC =4.54 (3.5-5.5) 4.68
    PCV =0.40 (0.34 - 0.46) 0.43
    MCV =89 (82.0 - 100.0) 91
    MCH =30.2 (26.0 - 32.6) 31
    MCHC =33.9 (32.0 - 36.0) 34.1
    NEUTROPHILS =1.50 (2.0-6.0) 1.9 *
    LYMPHOCYTES= 1.2 (1.0 - 3.5) 1.6
    MONONCYTES =0.3 (0.18-0.86) 0.4
    EOSINOPHILS =0.2 (0.0-0.4) 0.3

Serum B12 539 (150-750) 335
    Serum Folate 8.7 (more than 3.0) 8.2

Last edited by gemini123; 04-27-2009 at 09:35 AM.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:08 AM   #63
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Hi Gemini - yes it does appear that your immune system would be improving as even your lymphocytes have improved.

Your B12 has dropped. Were you taking B12 before and stopped or you have never taken it? Your folate has dropped a bit too, this would likely be due to you not absorbing as much B12 as your body would ideally like. Some people take a B12 and folate supplement together, although a lot of the brands of multi B vitamins already appear to have a little folate in them. Not sure whether the B12 ones do.

Good on your receptionist for advising you to keep up with the iron supplements. You have moved up, but it's not rocketing up. See in 3 months how you go, but make certain your ferritin is up nice and high at least 50 if not 70. The higher your ferritin the better other functions within the body can operate and if you can push it up to 125 and stay there, that is the optimum level for your phase 2 liver detox. That's the one which is important for women and men as this level of detox gets rid of excess estrogen, rather than storing it, among other things.

Raising your ferritin is also beneficial for the thyroid. Long term low levels of ferritin can affect the thyroid.

I dont recall, were you taking vitamin D too? Often when you are low in so many things you are also most likely low in Vit d.

I'm not certain about your thyroid results eg; your T4 lab range is just a little different to my range so i'd not like to comment incase i'm on the wrong track I see they didn't test your T3 and they didn't run the test to check whether you had an autoimmune thyroid condition by running a Thyroid Antibodies test. Often they wont run this test if your TSH appears "normal", which is a mistake as a lot of people can fall into the "normal" range, yet have an autoimmune thyroid condition all along. This was my case and that's how i went without treatment for 9 years and i'd had Hashimoto's all along. Your thyroid TSH is in the normal range at 1.28, doctors wont do anything even if it climbs higher, unless it goes over the lab range.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #64
    gemini123
    (female)

gemini123 HB User

Thanks Audrey I am very thankful for your comments you are teaching me alot.

I have not been taking B12, i tried to get some but none of the chemists had any yesterday, which i found odd so i may have to order over the internet.

I am taking 2 iron tablets now a day and my stomach seems ok for now. So i hope to up that next week back to 3 x.

I had a google of the liver detox phase 2, that was interesting another piece of the jigsaw and how it relates to oestrogen and therefore possibly things like endometriosis etc and also how long term low ferritin can affect the thyroid... gosh lots of info ....now my head feels like it will explode thinking about all of those intertwining things, very complex

I wish they would have done a vit D and liver function test but i suppose they have a budget and only do the cheapest tests needed
    Perhaps i should take vitamin D too but i dont know anything about taking that yet?

Re the black floaty things, I had an eye check within the last year as i wear contact lenses so i think if there were any problems it would have been picked up.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:52 AM   #65
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Hi gemini - yep is the way you end up when you uncover a tonne of information which you weren't prepared for but over time it does make sense - ok 'some' sense - it makes sense while you are reading the information, but trying to explain it everyone else is hard as there are too many jigsaw puzzle pieces. At least your are gaining an understanding.

Must be a lot of people low in B12 if the chemist is out of it You can try a healthfood store maybe.

Maybe they forgot to test the Vit D. I'd never had mine tested until i took myself off to the Trichologist to see why i was shedding so much hair. Majority of people are low or moderately low in it. If you wanted you could supplement by taking one capsule of D3 per day. We have a brand here called Ostelin, which my doctor says is one of the best. Brands might vary from country to country.

I saw something on tv linking low Vit D and asthma in children. While an article i read linked low Vit D in pregnant women to giving birth to children who ended up with crooked teeth and needing glasses. I wonder how scientists come up with these discoveries!!! But when you read up on Vit D deficiencies you will be surprised the role Vit D plays. Some more research for your spare time......

It's good you feel ok taking the iron again. You don't want to go too many days without it if your levels only move up slowly.

It must be getting warmer in England and i'm sure you will be in for a nice spring. I just can't get over how nice the countryside is there. Here it's gotten extremely cold and winter seems to be here much earlier than past years. Have had to finally dig out socks and jumpers :rollseyes:

Old 05-05-2009, 12:12 PM   #66
    gemini123
    (female)

gemini123 HB User

Ooooh Audrey are you going into winter now? We had what seemed like a long winter but we have recently had some nice sunny days until now. The weather is cloudy and rainy at the moment with highs of 14/15. They say we are going to have a nice summer this year but i wont hold my breath!! last year was auwful, all cloud and no sun.

the more i am reading i am wondering if it all is down to stress?? i didnt realise how long term stress had such an effect on our bodies.
    hormones released from stress having an effect on many systems and with serious consequences. I remember years ago hearing about people going off work with stress and not fully understanding why and not being very sympathetic.

Regarding the lumps on my neck i have made an appointment to get it checked out properly then i can forget about them. There is one that has been there for ages, it isnt painful it isnt getting bigger and it is moveable. The other two are lower on the neck and much smaller but i dont feel any on the left side of my neck att all so i shall get them looked at. Even if the doc looks at me as if i am insane i at least can cross them off the list.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:27 AM   #67
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes, we are going into winter now and i already miss summer. When it was summer it was so hot that we couldn't wait till winter. Oh well, you just can't win Our nights now are fresh and get down to 10 deg Celcius. The days are nice at between 19 - 22 degrees on some days. But it's still technically autumn.

I agree, stress has so much to do with it. I went through a number of years of constant stress every single day. I got used to living with it, but subconsciously i'd say i was still suffering. I often wonder whether this constant stress is responsible for making my thyroid condition worse and my digestive issues surface and my hormones mess up. I guess i'll never really know how much was stress and how much was thyroid related, but the fact my doctor is covering all bases, i suppose my constant hair shedding could be due to my sensitivity to even small doses of stress. When i bought/moved house my stress was so bad i thought i'd have a heartattack. I know that can't be good and who knows how long it takes for things to get back on track.

If i were in your situation with the lumps i'd be having them looked at too. Can't they do a type of biopsy? My dad had a lump form on his chest and he was told it was simply filled with fluid. He had the option of having it drained, which he did. Sometimes you can get benign cyst like lumps filled with either plain fluid or fat deposits. Best they look at it and give the all clear. It's most likely nothing, but as you said, it's good to tick one further box off the list.

Hoping your are going well with your daily iron

Old 05-14-2009, 08:41 AM   #68
    gemini123
    (female)

gemini123 HB User

I went for my appointment and the doctor was not concerned about the lumps he just said to keep an eye on them.

I have been really tired again lately but when i think about how i felt before i went back on the iron tablets i have definately improved. So with that thought i just need to carry on with the tablets, i am taking 1 or 2 a day at the moment plus a B12 tablet.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #69
    Daises28
    (female)

Daises28 HB User

Me too.....more meds here we go, lol.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:03 PM   #70
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi gemini - Sometimes when we feel just that little bit better and have a little more energy we over do things and consequently end up feeling a bit less than before.

I'm surprised they didn't do a biopsy or whatever else they can do to check the lumps you mentioned. I guess at the end of the day you get sick and tired of pushing to have things looked at by doctors, especially when you see they don't care.

I hope you are feeling better and getting some sunny spring days

Old 05-28-2009, 01:28 AM   #71
    gemini123
    (female)

gemini123 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Audrey-B View Post
    Hi gemini - Sometimes when we feel just that little bit better and have a little more energy we over do things and consequently end up feeling a bit less than before.

I'm surprised they didn't do a biopsy or whatever else they can do to check the lumps you mentioned. I guess at the end of the day you get sick and tired of pushing to have things looked at by doctors, especially when you see they don't care.

I hope you are feeling better and getting some sunny spring days

You are definately right when we get that bit of energy ..whoosh we try to get all the things done that have been put on hold but the flame soon dims!!

I am fed up of people (health care professionals) not truely looking into what is going on. OK it may all be due to heavy periods but that is a symptom of something and it would be reassuring if they would actually double check if it was due to endometriosis/polyps/cysts etc and hormone tests would have been nice. Also re the lumps on the neck (i still keep getting a cricked neck) they may well be nothing but wouldnt it be nice if they double checked. Also they could have looked into depression/stress many times in the past eg by the health visitor/ nurse/ doctor.

So yep i give up.

My periods are usually 4 week gap in between but this month its only 3 weeks since my last period ended.
    Its still heavy im using super plus tampons and a towel too. There are small clots and when i change everything after 2 hours there is a flood in the toilet too!! Yuck. This only lasts for 24 hours then things start to settle on the second day

I am wondering if i should just go for the m coil

My smear came back OK

I am still feeling tired all the time, i want to do some excercise but i am worried about overdoing it again like last time so for now i am doing a bit of gardening and thats all.

Last edited by gemini123; 05-28-2009 at 01:40 AM.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:07 AM   #72
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

gemini123--You can't give up! We don't allow that here, sorry. You just have to keep getting on with it. Do research and hold your ground with your doctor or change the one's you can and insist that they do something to help. I always say things such as If I was your wife, and it gets their attention a little. They know I mean business. You have to be a professional patient, I'm not saying that your not. Sometimes that's just what it takes to get noticed. I am well prepared and I tell them up from what my agenda is before we get started. Please just don't give up. You deserve a better quality of life, really.

The coil also has hormones in it I think, and I am not so sure that it's a good option, especially if you don't know what your problems are from. It could make things worse for you.

While gardening sounds nice it does zap the energy, be careful.

I'm sorry that you are having such a difficult time with your doctors it happens to the best of us. Hang in there! Take care FLFG

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 06-01-2009, 03:40 AM   #73
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi gemini - it's natural to want to give up when you keep feeling as though you are hitting a brick wall. You can't give up though. You can take a little 'holiday' from it all, get some energy back and get stuck into those doctors all over again. I'm with FLFLOWERGIRL on this. You need to show those doctors you mean business and no matter what, you aren't going away!!

You will need to refresh my memory, did you end up having internal/external ultrasound?

If the ultrasound comes out fine, then there is a very good chance your periods are causing you grief due to your hormones not being balanced. Excess estrogen is the big one and a very common problem these days. Something most doctors are not competent in dealing with, or simply take the easy option by advising the use of various forms of contraception.

Is there a different doctor in a different town you could try? If local isn't working then often trying someone a little further afield is worth a shot.

Take care and hope your luck changes in the doctor department

Old 08-08-2009, 12:42 AM   #74
    gemini123
    (female)

gemini123 HB User

Had the results from my blood test last week my ferritin has dropped slightly but i have only been taking the tablets once a day so i better take the full amount again
    my WBC is nicely up and i have been taking B12 and that seems to be going up a little

1/09 17/4/09 31/7/09
    FERRITIN
    (22-322) 8.8 18.6 16.9
    WBC
    4.0-11.0 3.2 4.1 5.9
    PLTS
    (120-400) 249 250 260
    HB
    (11.5-16.0) 13.7 14.5 14.4
    RBC
    (3.5-5) 4.54 4.68 4.5
    PCV
    (0.34-0.46) 0.40 0.43 0.41
    MCV
    (0.82-100.0) 89 91 90
    MCH
    (26.0-32.6) 30.2 31 31.9
    MCHC
    (32.0-36.0) 33.9 34.1 35.4
    NEUTROPHILS
    (2.0-6.0) 1.50 1.9 3.40
    LYMPHOCYTES
    (1.0-3.5) 1.2 1.6 1.7
    MONOCYTES
    (0.18-0.86) 0.3 0.4 0.5
    EOSINOPHILS
    (0.0-0.4) 0.2 0.3 0.2
    SERUM B12
    (150-750) 539 335 360
    SERUM FOLATE
    >3.0 8.7 8.2 8.7

Old 08-08-2009, 07:35 AM   #75
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

gemini123--

One iron tab is not enough to raise the ferritin, it takes more over a long period of time. You need more iron until the stores are filled, then you can cut down to a maintenance dose, if required at that time. This is what many of us have to do to maintain iron levels.

Your B-12 remains low, maybe you need to be taking more. Glad to hear your white count is responding well.

What was the iron dosage that your doctor prescribed for you? I think that you would see more progress with more. Take care. FLFG

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 08-08-2009 at 07:36 AM.

Closed Thread