It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• how long to wait to take suboxnone after lortab

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-30-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
    jolo121
    (female)

jolo121 HB User
    how long to wait to take suboxnone after lortab

i am taking 30mg of lortab, for 5 months.dr wants to put me on suboxone. why? i did not go in for addiction. went in to get meds that are not addictive.and work for pain

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
    (male)

56789 HB User
    Smile Re: how long to wait to take suboxnone after lortab

personaly . i was in a motocycle accident last june an was on oxycodone , i tapered off . i highley recomend not takeing suboxone , yes it happens every day someone gets addicted for legit reasons , its to bad , your md i would think told you the risk , plus the pamplet that comes with the drug tells us . i heard suboxone is 10 times harder to come off of . some doctors just dont seem to be as well educated as others with drug addiction . know one knows better than a recovering addict becouse we have been there . read other threads , it may help for awhile but it will turn on you or so i have heard by other members , it seems you have not been on this med long enough to need something stronger. good luck , suboxone is also a derivative of heroin , just like hydro is an all narcotic painkillers. dont go there my doctor would say

Old 05-01-2009, 03:24 AM   #3
    jolo121
    (female)

jolo121 HB User
    Re: how long to wait to take suboxnone after lortab

well thats just it. i have nine years clean and sober. the Dr. has 5 years. He said this sub is for us. I think he thinks and maybe it is true i will have to have pain meds for the rest of my life.
    I have a hip going bad after replacement and I am walking on my ankel. flat feet. I still have to do construction work because I cant get disability. lay blocks etc.wast supposed to lift over 15 lbs when i had the hip replace 7 years ago.

had to do what i have to do. But i dont want to be addicted to something. am an alcoholic and i have done lots of drugs in my using days.

seems like a catch 22/ he said there is no high on sub, and there is on lortab.and that is what addicts look for the high.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:32 AM   #4
    emsmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emsmom HB User

Hello Jolo,

Welcome to the boards I started Suboxone just over two months ago. I also suffer from chronic pain (herniated disc). Suboxone was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. It gave me my life back!

Suboxone is a pain-reliever, and also blocks the receptor, therefore no cravings. I haven't had a cravings for percocets/Oxy's since the day I started. For some people, Suboxone is a great thing. I have energy, feel completely normal (which I hadn't felt in a long long time) and I am enjoying my life again.

Look up the drug and educate yourself before you make a decision. I've heard it is hard to get off, however as long as you taper slowly, you should be fine (according to folks on here who have tapered off).

It doesn't matter how long we've been using our drug of choice - Addicts don't have a time-frame - We're addicted and that's that. Unfortunately, you have to be vigilante for the rest of your life. For some of us, we use for a couple months before we realize we are addicted. For others, it could be years and years of abuse.

Take your time making a decision. You have alot of clean time behind you. Just know that there are pro's and con's regarding Suboxone therapy.

If you'd like anymore info on my experience, I'd be happy to help

Sincerely,
    emsmom

Old 05-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
    jolo121
    (female)

jolo121 HB User

thanks. emsmom I have never heard of sub till five days ago. I got on the internet and what I read scared me. ten times harder to get off of then hydro. i know I can quit what I am taking by tapering off. But them i start to limp pretty bad. Not good for business. I charge top dollar and if my customers see me limping , well not sure what they would think.

I am 56 and my elbow , hip , foot and sholder are all giving out lol. But I have to work.

I cant let my wife do it all. besides her pay does not pay all the bills. I know sobriety is more important then anything. I Have not up my dos in the months that i have been on hydro but there is that chance.

I am not looking for the high. I like sobriety. More fun then when i was drinking and using.

I am afraid to even try the sub because of what I have read. but if i stay on it the rest of my life I will not have to think aboutwithdrawal
    If I could get disability i would not have to work as hard. only 500.00 a month but that
    would make the house payment.

I guess ill have to pray aboout it some more. I have had the script filled for three days and still have not used them. i have one more day , tommorow to finish this one job i am on. I may start taking the sub sunday. 16 hrs after I stop the lortab.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #6
    emsmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emsmom HB User

Hey jolo,

Well, there are pro's and con's regarding Suboxone. When I researched the drug, I was terrified as well. I heard stories of people having alot of trouble getting off it, however those people took the fast taper. Some folks on here said as long as you taper off slowly, it's not bad at all. Now on the other hand, I've heard that the last 2mg are the hardest. I've heard of people having to take a blade and cut slivers off it in order to make the taper longer. I would rather do that (in the future if and when I ever decide to come off Suboxone). It seems like a small price to pay, considering the alternative (relapse, addiction all over again, withdrawal etc.). In any case, Suboxone is not heroin. It is derived from the poppy plant, and so is heroin, percocet, oxycontin, hydro's etc. So don't worry that you'd be taking heroin.

Please keep in mind, I am not advertising Suboxone, nor am I trying to persuade you to take it. I'm only telling you my feelings. I was reluctant to take it, however I am SO glad I decided to. It has changed my life in ways I never thought possible.

You do not get high from it - all it did for me was take the cravings away (I haven't thought of using since the day I started Suboxone), gave me my energy back, and allowed me to get back to the person I was before I abused pain pills. I literally felt "normal" within 30 minutes of taking Suboxone.

So, if you do start taking it on Sunday, I'm curious to see how it affects you. Please keep in touch

Wishing you a wonderful weekend

emsmom

Last edited by emsmom; 05-01-2009 at 06:47 PM.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:37 PM   #7
    (male)

56789 HB User
    Smile Re: how long to wait to take suboxnone after lortab

think of the perminent damage you could be doing to your body , by covering up the pain, food for thought , it sounds like some of your pain issues could be better without beating your body even more but its you body, an swithching may help for awhile but how long do you think a pain med can stop you from limping , i think its just a temporary fix, an i also hear that alot of people get high from suboxone , again your choice , some people claim they dont get high from oxycontin or any side affects , i wish that were the case with this addict , i would take something other than aleve for fibro an siatica

Last edited by 56789; 05-01-2009 at 08:45 PM.

Closed Thread