It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• does anyone get 20/20 after lasik?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-19-2009, 07:17 AM   #31
    JustMe2009
    (female)

JustMe2009 HB User
    Re: does anyone get 20/20 after lasik?

It took me almost the full 3 months to stabilize. I look around at certain objects to judge how far I've come. There is a little residual blurriness about 10 feet and out. Darker places make it blurrier, and I have difficulty reading signs while driving. Hang in there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2009, 10:38 AM   #32
    landar
    (male)

landar HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by julieone View Post
    Neveragain444
    May I ask how long your sight took to get better - I am 5 weeks post op and my far vision is still quite blurry - good first thing but by the end of the day isn't too good. I am wondering how logn it will take to settle down and be consistently good. U have no bad side effects at all!
    julieone...I am also 5 weeks post-op and my vision is super sharp first thing in the morning when I awake (would guess 20/15). After about an hour, my far vision starts to fade to become more blurry (I would guess maybe 20/30). If I put drops in, my far vision comes back straightaway to super sharp for about a minute or two, then fades. So, vision is sharp as long as my eyes are moist but as they dry out, it becomes more blurry. I have a friend who had the same issue and reports that after several months the sharpness dominated and was permanent. So, fingers crossed! Or should I cross my eyes? No, better cross fingers.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:51 PM   #33
    JustMe2009
    (female)

JustMe2009 HB User

The eye drops work for a couple minutes because the fluid smoothes out the cornea (kind of like the lasik does) and then when it disappears, then the vision blurs again. This is what the doctor said to me. I am not sure it means anything about how the surgery worked on your eye.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:19 PM   #34
    jill60
    (female)

jill60 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Norby2009 View Post
    About 70% of the corneal nerves are severed during the lasik procedure and this corneal nerve damage is the main cause of dry eyes after LASIK. The nerves of the cornea that play a vital role in tear production are severed when the flap is cut. Supposedly they never fully recover to there pre lasik form, now that we've had lasik we will be spending hundreds of dollars on eye drops each year to keep our dry lasik eyes moist and in working order. Wish they would have told me about the severed nerves before the surgery, but then that would gave been bad business for them.
    You can get the plugs put in your tear ducts which helps alot!

Jill

Old 04-21-2009, 06:30 AM   #35
    JustMe2009
    (female)

JustMe2009 HB User

I guess I'm lucky in that way. I have normal tear production.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #36
    JustMe2009
    (female)

JustMe2009 HB User

I just had my enhancement on the 30th...

20/20 in both eyes.

ONE day later. 20/20.

3 months of trauma....and now I can see 20/20.

WORTH it!

Old 05-02-2009, 01:22 AM   #37
    julieone
    (female)

julieone HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustMe2009 View Post
    I just had my enhancement on the 30th...

20/20 in both eyes.

ONE day later. 20/20.

3 months of trauma....and now I can see 20/20.

WORTH it!
    Wow that's fab; it gives me hope as my eyes just don't seem to be improving at all. I had it done on march 17 and struggle on a daily basis. sooooooooooooo depressing and tiring!

Old 05-02-2009, 06:34 AM   #38
    JustMe2009
    (female)

JustMe2009 HB User

Quote:
    Wow that's fab; it gives me hope as my eyes just don't seem to be improving at all. I had it done on march 17 and struggle on a daily basis. sooooooooooooo depressing and tiring!
    Hang in there, and maybe an enhancement would work for you. Wait a few months though till your eyes are stable. Best decision i made to redo them. It's been a very traumatic and frustrating 3 months, and now...it's apparently over

I DO need reading glasses...but who cares!? I can SEEEEEE!

Old 05-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #39
    julieone
    (female)

julieone HB User

are you in UK?

Old 05-03-2009, 02:04 AM   #40
    paul keegan
    (male)

paul keegan HB User

Quote:
    are you in UK?
    Yeah am in Norwich, got my eyes done in Milton Keynes with Optical Express

Old 05-04-2009, 02:33 AM   #41
    grumpyguppy
    (male)

grumpyguppy HB User

It has been 8 days since I had Customs Intralase on 4/26 on both eyes to correct my high myopia. Far vision on both eyes have been blurry since then, with no improvements. My estimation of my current vision is 20/60. I have no side effects such as glare, starburst or halo but have double/triple vision. Couple with blurry vision, this made night driving quite difficult. I have read in this board that it may take up to 6 whole months for the cornea to heal completely and achieve its intended clarity, so I will have to hang on and pray that it will improve over time. So, in many ways, I am in the same boat as many of you here in this board.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:19 AM   #42
    JustMe2009
    (female)

JustMe2009 HB User

Quote:
    grumpyguppy
    (male)

It has been 8 days since I had Customs Intralase on 4/26 on both eyes to correct my high myopia. Far vision on both eyes have been blurry since then, with no improvements. My estimation of my current vision is 20/60. I have no side effects such as glare, starburst or halo but have double/triple vision. Couple with blurry vision, this made night driving quite difficult. I have read in this board that it may take up to 6 whole months for the cornea to heal completely and achieve its intended clarity, so I will have to hang on and pray that it will improve over time. So, in many ways, I am in the same boat as many of you here in this board.
    Or...you could go for an enhancement in approximately 3-6 months. Your story sounds familiar. My eyes didn't improve much from 1 - 3 months. One of the doctors told me that as a general rule, what you see at 1 month, is what you see at 3 months. There are occasionally exceptions though.
    I'm still shaking my head after my lasik on April 30th. I am so clear! I think that the "it takes time for the cornea to heal" in my case wasn't true. I just wasn't corrected enough. I don't think that there was a mistake..maybe my eyes just needed a boost as they might not have responded as much as the doctor thought. I don't know. I just know that the second I sat up, I could tell that it had worked well. Everything was clear right away. I think those who are seeing blurry still as I was probably just need an enhancement down the road. Hopefully, everyone here will have good results eventually as I have. It was a very long, frustrating, depressing 3 months, but it's finally over. What an ordeal

Last edited by JustMe2009; 05-06-2009 at 04:21 PM.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #43
    landar
    (male)

landar HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustMe2009 View Post
    I'm still shaking my head after my lasik on April 30th. I am so clear! I think that the "it takes time for the cornea to heal" in my case wasn't true. I just wasn't corrected enough. I don't think that there was a mistake..maybe my eyes just needed a boost as they might not have responded as much as the doctor thought. I don't know. I just know that the second I sat up, I could tell that it had worked well. Everything was clear right away. I think those who are seeing blurry still as I was probably just need an enhancement down the road. Hopefully, everyone here will have good results eventually as I have. It was a very long, frustrating, depressing 3 months, but it's finally over. What an ordeal
    It is encouraging to hear that it worked out for you. I am beginning to think I will need the same. Was the enhancement procedure very similar to the original? Did you have to go back to wearing the goggles at night? Lots of drops?

Old 05-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #44
    JustMe2009
    (female)

JustMe2009 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by landar View Post
    It is encouraging to hear that it worked out for you. I am beginning to think I will need the same. Was the enhancement procedure very similar to the original? Did you have to go back to wearing the goggles at night? Lots of drops?
    Yep, it's the same. I've read that it's not really right to call it an enhancement, makes it sound less somehow, but it's really surgery again with the same risks as the 1st time. They did give me the goggles, but i haven't worn them as I wear a CPAP and it's very uncomfortable with all that on my face. I probably SHOULDN'T have done that, but It's been ok so far. I was using lots of drops, but am done with the antibiotic and steroid ones now as it's the 5th day. I use the Refresh ones periodically. I can still see really well. it's almost like the last 3 months were a dream. I do know it was a scary time though. So glad it's over!!

Last edited by JustMe2009; 05-04-2009 at 08:40 PM.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #45
    MistyTristy
    (female)

MistyTristy HB User

The answer depends entirely on each person. Just make sure you go somewhere where they do lots and lots of tests on you and don't rush you through like a conveyer belt to just get your cash off you. Check corneal thickness, check how wide your pupils are (will effect night-time glare if you have larger pupils) . I wouldn't recommend the high-street places as when I did my research before going through with LASIK, they tended to have older techniques & equipment which produced a longer recovery time, and higher chance of infection. They pushed and pushed me so much to go ahead with surgery before I had even met the surgeon, which I hated. I wanted to meet the person who was going to do my surgery, but they didn't allow that!! My friend went to one place and he had a cataract (v. young for cataract) and this one chain of clinics didn't even notice it and tried to push him into surgery which we were told would have made him blind. Shocking!! He then went to a place south of London and had a great experience (had lens implants instead of laser to sort out his cataract) so I trusted them too, and had LASIK. I went from -6 prescription to 20/60 vision. I now have better than 20/20!! :-) Answer: Do your research & don't go for the cheapest option!

Closed Thread