It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• iron deficiency or anemia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
    Susanna0174
    (female)

Susanna0174 HB User
    iron deficiency or anemia

I've been experiencing dizziness/lightheadedness for about 3 weeks now along with extreme tiredness. I went to dr. for blood work this past wednesday and these are my numbers. I plan on going in to go over it with him. just wondering if anyone could tell me if it's a defic. or anemia. Thank you!!!
    RANGE
    Sat 5% 15-50
    Iron,Fe 20 40-175
    WBC (WBC) 12.3 k/cmm 4.3-10.0

RBC * RBC 4.99 M/CMM 4.00-5.50

HEMOGLOBIN HGB 13.3 g/dl 11.0-16.0

HEMATOCRIT (HCT) 41.8 % 33.0-48.0

MCV MCV 83.8 fL 80.0-100.0

MCH MCH 26.6 pg 27.0-34.0

MCHC MCHC 31.7 % 32.0-36.0

Last edited by Susanna0174; 05-07-2009 at 11:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2009, 07:15 AM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: iron deficiancy or anemia

Susanna0174--Welcome to the boards!

Yes, you are iron deficiency without anemia at this point in time. The way that doctor's DX this is when one or more of the the three; Hgb, Hct & RBC's are below range and you can see that this is not your case from your CBC results.

You should investigate a cause for your deficiency or it will keep happening. Ask your doc about this. Most commonly it is due to having heavy periods.

A 5 % Sat and 20 Serum iron is low. You will also need to have your Ferritin tested which your doc should have no problem with due to your iron Stats. The Ferritin is a more telling measure of how much iron is stored in the bone marrow and organs. It tells how much you have used up and how much you have left. Anemia is the end stage of the iron stores. It goes through many stages as it is lowered. Along with ferritin testing you want to have your B-12 and folate checked it is typical when a patient is anemic, although you are not anemic yet you would be eventually, and it needs to be checked too.

Your WBC count is up slightly, have you been ill recently perhaps your fighting off infection? Take care. FLFG

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 05-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
    Susanna0174
    (female)

Susanna0174 HB User
    Re: iron deficiency or anemia

Thank you for the info. I also noticed my skin for the past couple months has been extremely itchy...from what I've read it could be due to the lack of iron. Crazy!!! I hate it!!! I just made some changes in my diet. Spinach salads with veggies and steak, and also drinking orange juice with it. I don't go to my doctor until Tuesday after work and wasn't sure if I should just get an iron pill from the store or wait until I see my dr. Today was bad for me, very lightheaded and tired!! I have some multi's....i don't know if it's even worth it. The multi has 8mcg of iron. And how long would it take for me to feel better?

Old 05-09-2009, 07:53 AM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: iron deficiency or anemia

Susanna0174--I would get iron through food sources until you see your doctor on Tues., s/he may want more tests and you don't want to skew results. Eating red meat 3X weekly is great and you don't need a large amount either, 3oz., I think! You are doing the right things!

If you're experiencing symptoms that usually means to back off of strenuous activity, maybe you are doing too much, not a great idea.

It takes a while to feel better and this is so different for everyone. Take care and keep us posted. FLFG

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
    Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Closed Thread