It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• does anyone get 20/20 after lasik?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #46
    landar
    (male)

landar HB User
    Re: does anyone get 20/20 after lasik?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustMe2009 View Post
    Yep, it's the same. I've read that it's not really right to call it an enhancement, makes it sound less somehow, but it's really surgery again with the same risks as the 1st time. They did give me the goggles, but i haven't worn them as I wear a CPAP and it's very uncomfortable with all that on my face. I probably SHOULDN'T have done that, but It's been ok so far. I was using lots of drops, but am done with the antibiotic and steroid ones now as it's the 5th day. I use the Refresh ones periodically. I can still see really well. it's almost like the last 3 months were a dream. I do know it was a scary time though. So glad it's over!!
    Still curious about the "enhancement" (yeah, that term cracks me up too). Did you have CustomView, that is, the Wavefront scan? And if so, did they do that test again to get your prescription? What puzzles me is that my vision is so clear first thing in the morning, then fades to fuzzy. Guess it will work out in the months to come or else I get the enhancement. Even though my vision is not 20/20, I can function well w/o glasses and its just wonderful to have given those clunkers the heave-ho. They are still sitting on my night stand and a reminder to me of the new-found freedom. Even with the problems, its still worth it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2009, 04:11 PM   #47
    JustMe2009
    (female)

JustMe2009 HB User

What's a "high street " place?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MistyTristy View Post
    The answer depends entirely on each person. Just make sure you go somewhere where they do lots and lots of tests on you and don't rush you through like a conveyer belt to just get your cash off you. Check corneal thickness, check how wide your pupils are (will effect night-time glare if you have larger pupils) . I wouldn't recommend the high-street places as when I did my research before going through with LASIK, they tended to have older techniques & equipment which produced a longer recovery time, and higher chance of infection. They pushed and pushed me so much to go ahead with surgery before I had even met the surgeon, which I hated. I wanted to meet the person who was going to do my surgery, but they didn't allow that!! My friend went to one place and he had a cataract (v. young for cataract) and this one chain of clinics didn't even notice it and tried to push him into surgery which we were told would have made him blind. Shocking!! He then went to a place south of London and had a great experience (had lens implants instead of laser to sort out his cataract) so I trusted them too, and had LASIK. I went from -6 prescription to 20/60 vision. I now have better than 20/20!! :-) Answer: Do your research & don't go for the cheapest option!

Old 05-06-2009, 04:14 PM   #48
    JustMe2009
    (female)

JustMe2009 HB User

Yes, I did. Yep. They did the test for CustomVue again, but I don't think it had anything to do with the prescription. They "mapped" my cornea with that test. I tested today at almost 20/15. I could read two of the letters out of 4 on the 20/15 line! How about THAT after only 6 days? she even said it will imPROVE over the next few months. Good idea to leave the glasses on the nightstand!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by landar View Post
    Still curious about the "enhancement" (yeah, that term cracks me up too). Did you have CustomView, that is, the Wavefront scan? And if so, did they do that test again to get your prescription? What puzzles me is that my vision is so clear first thing in the morning, then fades to fuzzy. Guess it will work out in the months to come or else I get the enhancement. Even though my vision is not 20/20, I can function well w/o glasses and its just wonderful to have given those clunkers the heave-ho. They are still sitting on my night stand and a reminder to me of the new-found freedom. Even with the problems, its still worth it.

Last edited by JustMe2009; 05-06-2009 at 04:15 PM.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:11 AM   #49
    julieone
    (female)

julieone HB User

Quote:
    Or...you could go for an enhancement in approximately 3-6 months. Your story sounds familiar. My eyes didn't improve much from 1 - 3 months. One of the doctors told me that as a general rule, what you see at 1 month, is what you see at 3 months. There are occasionally exceptions though.
    I'm still shaking my head after my lasik on April 30th. I am so clear! I think that the "it takes time for the cornea to heal" in my case wasn't true. I just wasn't corrected enough. I don't think that there was a mistake..maybe my eyes just needed a boost as they might not have responded as much as the doctor thought. I don't know. I just know that the second I sat up, I could tell that it had worked well. Everything was clear right away. I think those who are seeing blurry still as I was probably just need an enhancement down the road. Hopefully, everyone here will have good results eventually as I have. It was a very long, frustrating, depressing 3 months, but it's finally over. What an ordeal
    Hi there again
    My eyes are now 8 weeks post surgery and aren't getting any better. I have specs for driving and TV and reading glasses, so all in all, I'm no better off really than I was before. they say that my eyes have over-reacted (?) and that now I am slightly myopic. I was wondering how long after your first treatment it was before thay agreed to redo your eyes? did you find little or no imporvement after the 2 month period too?
    Hope you are still seeing as brilliantly - I'm sure you are

Old 05-12-2009, 03:32 PM   #50
    JustMe2009
    (female)

JustMe2009 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by julieone View Post
    Hi there again
    My eyes are now 8 weeks post surgery and aren't getting any better. I have specs for driving and TV and reading glasses, so all in all, I'm no better off really than I was before. they say that my eyes have over-reacted (?) and that now I am slightly myopic. I was wondering how long after your first treatment it was before thay agreed to redo your eyes? did you find little or no imporvement after the 2 month period too?
    Hope you are still seeing as brilliantly - I'm sure you are
    Oh, I'm sorry you're still not seeing well. They usually re-do at least 3 months after the first time....I'm seeing AWESOMELY still! I couldn't see well even after 3 months..and they agreed that my eyes were stable enough to do the enhancement. I had it done 3 months and 1 week later.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:49 AM   #51
    julieone
    (female)

julieone HB User

Quote:
    Oh, I'm sorry you're still not seeing well. They usually re-do at least 3 months after the first time....I'm seeing AWESOMELY still! I couldn't see well even after 3 months..and they agreed that my eyes were stable enough to do the enhancement. I had it done 3 months and 1 week later.
    hi there as you are my beam of hope - are you still seeing well? I am now on my 2nd pair of specs as my eyes are still deteriorating!! they will redo they say but probably not until 6 months are up. sob

Old 05-28-2009, 10:14 AM   #52
    paul keegan
    (male)

paul keegan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marchon View Post
    just curious, why were your eyes borderline?
    My eyes were borderline as the surgeon was 50/50 whether he would perform the surgery or not, happily he did , sorry for the late reply

Old 08-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #53
    angeleyz81
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User

I am just about hitting my 2 yr mark.. well in Nov..My 1 yr followup with my reg eye doctor went well. My vision is better then 20/20 he was surprised because he said that normally even a yr after lasik many people tend to have problems.. I am considering myself lucky

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    **The Highest Form Of Ignorance Is When You Reject Something You Don't Know Anything About**
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #54
    JasonMoore
    (male)

JasonMoore HB User

Congratulations! I have been debating on getting lasik done but I'm terrified of anyone touching my eyes... I've even dreamed of the Dr sneezing while working on my eye and leaving me completely blind! It's horrible, I know. Could this even happen?

Old 09-21-2009, 06:07 AM   #55
    seaglass157
    (female)

seaglass157 HB User

My glasses prescription b/4 Lasik was A -6.00 in each eye. Extremely nearsighted with astgmatisim and considered legally blind without correction.
    It is now 5 weeks since my procedure. I had an official eye exam last week and am seeing better than 20/20. I am at 20/15.
    As an added plus, I also do not need my reading glasses. I was wearing contact lenses for over 30 years and then started wearing reading glasses on top of that when I turned fourty.
    I am more than thrilled with the outcome.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #56
    seaglass157
    (female)

seaglass157 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: does anyone get 20/20 after lasik?

I had my surgery August 15th and am now seeing 20/15.
    Prior to Lasik I was a -6.00 in boths eyes with an astigmatism. I was legally blind without being corrected.
    I had worn contacts lenses since 1976 and then reading glasses on top of those for about the past 5 years.
    The only reason I had Lasik done was because my eyes would no longer tolerate the contact lenses.
    I am happy to say as an added surprise to seeing 20/15, I haven't needed my reading glasses either.
    The left eye was crystal clear 1 week after surgery, while the right eye was still blurry for distance. I was worried, but they told me not to worry and they would even out. Well, they were right. i now see the same out of each eye. The only thing that still bothers me is the night vision. Very big halos from oncoming headlights. Please don't tell my local police dept, but i find it easier to drive at night with my sunglasses on. It cuts down all the halos and yet I can still see the road.
    Hope my experience helps someone who is on the fence about getting the procedure.
    The best $$$ I have ever spent!

Old 09-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #57
    angeleyz81
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User

I would want to say if he/she were to sneeze they know enough to stop using the machine lol You will be fine, I just suggest following all of the after care instructions and not stopping until you are told to even if you think you are fine

**The Highest Form Of Ignorance Is When You Reject Something You Don't Know Anything About**

Old 10-08-2009, 07:28 AM   #58
    seaduced
    (female)

seaduced HB User

It's been 3 months. I was 20/10 day after surgery, 20/20 1 month post op (I was still using the thick gel drops which affected my vision), and now at 3 months I'm 20/15, dont need drops at all, if I use drops - just the regular bottle Refresh.

I had read that hyperopia patients have more regression in the first 3 months than myopic but so far very little, just what they expected and probably antipated by over correcting me.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:36 AM   #59
    BobGuy
    (male)

BobGuy HB User

It's been just over a year, I am getting 20/15: could not be happier!

Old 01-05-2010, 07:48 AM   #60
    rockyciavattone
    (male)

rockyciavattone HB User

My wife had LASIK. She had it done at New England Eye Center over at Tufts Medical Center. She can't stop raving about it, said she should have had it done sooner. She now see 20/10 the doc told her. 14 months after surgery even. Since then she's had 2 friends from work, 1 personal friend and 3 of our relatives all go into New England Eye Center and get their LASIK and they're all doing great. I hate every one of them, I can't get it LASIK done because my corneas are too thin apparently

Last edited by moderator2; 01-05-2010 at 09:01 AM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Closed Thread