It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• Topiramate and Lyrica

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-12-2009, 07:10 AM   #16
    Pressing On
    (female)

Pressing On HB User
    Question Re: Topiramate and Lyrica

Hi. Im a rookie..1st time here. I am on Topiramate and Lyrica. I actually have been on Topamax for a while but new to Lyrica. I have been having reactions to the Lyrica (weight gain and moods that switch and are amplified at the drop of a dime) Could it be I need to lower the Lyrica? I really like the effect it has had on me otherwise..drastic change for the better. Or..is there another med to replace topamax ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #17
    xaviermlm
    (male)

xaviermlm HB User
    Re: Topiramate and Lyrica

I had the combination of the two for only a couple weeks so I really can't recommend anything sorry. I think the Lyrica is working good for me although it does have it's stupid side effects. I liked the thought of the Topiramate being that it could help with the weight gain. I didn't do well with it though. If I was stationary for more then twenty minutes I would fall asleep. Crazy huh? My Pain Med. Doc. said it that most likely it was the fact that was also taking Ziprasidone (an anti-anxiety medication). Sorry that we have to talk under these conditions though but I found that having people to bounce ideas off of and to reach out to helps ALOT, I have had a great experience here and hope you do as well. Peace and Lve.

Last edited by xaviermlm; 05-13-2009 at 06:01 PM.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:59 PM   #18
    xaviermlm
    (male)

xaviermlm HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sandel View Post
    I have never before heard of these two medicines being used together.
    I would consult your doctor again.
    S
    My Pain med. Dr. has over twenty years experience with CRPS patients and is a licensed practicing Pharmacist. According to her these drugs are used in combination regularly.

Last edited by xaviermlm; 05-13-2009 at 06:00 PM.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:23 PM   #19
    Sandel
    (female)

Sandel HB UserSandel HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xaviermlm View Post
    My Pain med. Dr. has over twenty years experience with CRPS patients and is a licensed practicing Pharmacist. According to her these drugs are used in combination regularly.
    Thanks, lyrica made my depression plummet and so it was replaced with the topomax.. as soon as I went off the lyrica my state of mind improved, however I understand that topomax itself can cause the same symptoms in some people, namely depression and suicidal thoughts, visions, nasty stuff.

be well,
    S

Last edited by Sandel; 05-13-2009 at 11:46 PM. Reason: added warning about depression symptom

Old 05-14-2009, 12:27 AM   #20
    Sandel
    (female)

Sandel HB UserSandel HB User

hmm I guess you should put me down for bad memory symptom too.. I see I already wrote this a page back lol.
    Sandra

Old 05-14-2009, 10:15 AM   #21
    Sandy325
    (female)

Sandy325 HB User

I take Topamax - I can vouch for the suicidal thoughts. I had a really hard time a few weeks ago. Could have been partly attributable to the meds (but I some other horrible stuff going on, too, so who knows)... I also haven't lost any weight on it, but I haven't gained much either. I think it is definitely better than Neurontin and Lyrica in that regard.

It has helped my migraines A LOT. I haven't gotten a heachache that turned into a migraine since I started taking Topamax. I used to get really sick from them.

Sandy

Last edited by Sandy325; 05-14-2009 at 10:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 11-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #22
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

Topamax Topiramate, defintly helps with weight loss and some good old memory loss, but it's not as soothing to the nerves as Lyrica, that one of it's best point, I find.

I really need to loss weight currently, so I'm going to ask my Doctor for a switch or 50/50. My pain doc's great and my GP just does what he says.

Effexor is great for a bit of an energy boost, but again it kills the memory, great antidepressant though and no weight gain.

Closed Thread